Chapter 55
442 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the outskirts of Konoha, nestled by a stream stood three girls. Rin, Kurenai, and Shizune knelt on the grass. Laid out before them was a large fish and its life waning due to excessive dehydration. In response, the trio gently placed their small hands on the fish above the pillow and a faint green light emanated from their palms.

This was the rare medical ninjutsu mastered by only a handful of skilled medics – the Healing Jutsu.

Beside them, Tsunade, overseeing their training, stood alongside the three girls. She stifled a yawn, inwardly yearning for a visit to the casino.

At this precise moment, the trio of young kunoichi trying to practice healing jutsu, deeply engrossed in saving the life of the dying fish were jolted by a resounding laughter echoing from a distance.

The green surge of chakra crashed into the ailing giant fish that was on the brink of death, and the three distinct green clusters of chakra disintegrated and the fish died.

Trio's pupils shifted their gaze in unison, drawn by curiosity toward the source of the laughter.

Across the field, Tatsuya and Orochimaru sat facing each other. Tatsuya was caught in a fit of laughter, his enthusiasm the highest they had ever seen.

"What's gotten into the old man this time?" Tsunade quirked an irritated brow, promptly barking at the trio, "What are you staring at? Catch another fish and get back to your practice!"

Startled by Tsunade's tigerish voice, the three young girls reluctantly rolled up their pant legs once more and headed down to the river to catch more fish.

Yet, their hearts were curious. What could be the cause of Tatsuya's stunning laughter?

...

...

"Marvelous! It appears that staying in Konoha brings along new surprises each day!"

Tatsuya applauded, his hands meeting in a resounding clap of approval.

Opposite to him, Orochimaru being notably reserved, broke his silence remarking, "Tatsuya-kun, I'm discussing business matters here, not sharing a joke with you."

Merely two hours prior, Orochimaru had been summoned to the office of his Sensei, the Third Hokage. There, he received news so astonishing that even Orochimaru himself was left astounded—

He was being asked to defect. But, to be exact, it wasn't an outright defection. Rather, he was being requested to leave Konoha.

The news pertained to the "demise" of Uchiha Shisui—a fact that Sarutobi Hiruzen aimed to conceal. However, the Uchiha clan would inevitably learn of the truth, sooner or later.

Inevitably, Hiruzen would be confronted by the Uchiha clan without an acceptable explanation for Shisui's long-term disappearance.

This Uchiha clan can become the spark that ignited the entire powder keg of Konoha. Thus Hiruzen needed to divert the Uchiha's wrath.

He summoned Orochimaru, hoping to shift this responsibility onto him.

The Uchiha clan would be led to believe that Orochimaru was the perpetrator behind forbidden human experiments that resulted in Uchiha Shisui's accidental death, forcing him into defection.

The intention was to redirect the Uchiha's anger towards someone outside the village. Although Orochimaru would be designated as a traitor, he wouldn't be hunted down. Instead, he would play this role in another setting.

In essence, the Hokage was "meant to see doing something."

Orochimaru was stunned when he first heard of Hiruzen's plan. Did he understand the magnitude of what his teacher was proposing?

While he had anticipated his teacher's shrewdness, he hadn't quite expected such an audacious plot.

Even though Orochimaru relished his experiments with the First Generation cells, he had followed Sarutobi's instructions to the letter. Now, in the face of problems, his sensei wanted him to bear the brunt of the consequences.

It was true that "the cunning rabbit has three burrows," and although the rabbit hadn't been caught yet, it had been whisked away to a hideout by Danzo.

However, Orochimaru was acutely aware that Danzo would never acknowledge this even if he confronted him.

Hiruzen and Shimura Danzo, those crafty friends and partners in manipulation, knew one another all too well.

Thus, Orochimaru decided to accept this burden, owning the responsibility and his last favour to his sensei.

Tatsuya's overwhelming happiness stemmed from his unexpected revelation that Hiruzen was a master player at this game. To have Orochimaru, his once-beloved or most beloved disciple, shoulder the blame was a shrewd move. 

Not only does it take care of Uchiha Shisui's death. But also cleared the way for Minato to have a chance at being Hokage.

A pang of pity struck him, sensing the injustice of it all.

"But must you wear such a crestfallen expression? After all, you were planning on defecting, weren't you?" Tatsuya quipped with a chuckle. "So, sooner or later, it's all the same."

Orochimaru's pupils contracted slightly.

Ever since the last Ninja World War, a thought had cast a shadow over his perception of Konoha. Defection had crossed his mind more than once, albeit without a firm commitment.

His current astonishment didn't stem from apprehensions about the path ahead; rather, he was taken aback by his sensei's unreserved willingness to let him defect.

He wanted to protest, "Why should I defect from Konoha? Wasn't I simply following your instructions his instruction?"

Amused by the irony, Tatsuya mused to himself. By all logical standards, Hiruzen wouldn't easily relinquish his once cherished disciple.

However, Namikaze Minato had emerged as a more pliable alternative, and Orochimaru's bond with his mentor had frayed over time.

Moreover, the current predicament was significantly grave, demanding a shrewd solution. It was implausible for Hiruzen to take responsibility personally or involve Danzo.

Orochimaru remained the only plausible candidate.

A depressing situation, indeed.

Though Orochimaru's future actions might warrant severe punishment many times over, the initial missteps were undeniably influenced by the directions of Danzo and Hiruzen. In the end, they were shedding their skins to protect their interests.

With no recourse but to confront the reality at hand, Orochimaru managed to regain some semblance of composure. He ventured to ask, "Tatsuya-kun, can you provide me with an escape route?"

Tatsuya's eyes flickered subtly. "Oh? Considering you're only pretending to defect, and neither of them will genuinely chase after you, do you need my assistance?"

"You're underestimating me, Tatsuya-kun."

Orochimaru's demeanour returned to its customary aloofness, his lips curling into a self-assured smile.

"Your patience with the current generation of elders must be wearing thin, isn't it? Are you trying to tell me that thoughts of eliminating them haven't crossed your mind?"

Following a brief silence, Tatsuya spoke in a hushed tone.

"Do you wish to be part of the 'Collapse of Konoha' plan?"

READ 40 CHAPTERS AHEAD ON P*TREON.C*M/MARIONI

17