Chapter 64
263 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To match the Genin's slower pace, Konoha dispatched 5,000 reinforcements to the northern border, moving at an unexpectedly sluggish speed northward. If it were Jonin or Kage-level individuals, they could cover the distance in a mere two to three days. However, at the current number of Shinobi with supplies. It would take at least ten days.

"Hehe!"

Suddenly, Tatsuya couldn't suppress a chuckle.

"Master Tatsuya, what's amusing you?" inquired Ri by his side, tilting her head with curiosity.

"It's nothing; I just find it amusing that the top figure in the Root Division is sporting an ordinary ninja uniform. In my recollection, this is the first time I've seen him like this."

Tatsuya's smile was hard to hide. His most vivid memories of Danzo were those of him leaning on a cane and wrapped in a cloak, morphing into an eerie, creepy and eccentric old man. The second image was that of the grey-clad uniform worn by the Anbu and Root members. This marked the first occasion that Tatsuya had seen him dressed in the standard Konoha Shinobi attire.

Rin, however, remained somewhat baffled. She wasn't even aware of the existence of the "Root".

"Those behind, refrain from whispering!" admonished Danzo, who was leading the group.

Tatsuya couldn't be bothered to contradict the elderly eccentric man. Yet, according to Orochimaru's reports, the old man still maintained some contact with him. Was he still pursuing research on Hashirama's cells?

"Do you think these two have no intention of killing each other?" mused Nara Shikaku, walking slightly behind them.

This scenario bore an uncanny resemblance to the last instance when Tatsuya and Sarutobi Shinnosuke had worked together. Nara Shikaku could assure anyone that if Shimura Danzo or Tatsuya extended an invitation to team up for a mission. Only one person would return alive from that team.

"Which side do we support?"

Yamanaka Inoichi, who stood beside him whispered discreetly in Shikaku's ear, "It's no longer within the scope of our power. All we can do is turn a blind eye... but if I had to choose. I'd bet on Tatsuya."

Shikaku's silent cogitation had persisted for quite a while.

"Why's that?" Yamanaka Inoichi's curiosity got the better of her.

"Tsunade being the Hokage is better for Konoha and our clans than the current one."

In Shikaku's perspective, both Tatsuya and Danzo were synonymous with the term "shrewd." He had no desire to provoke or tangle with either. Nevertheless, when the time will be to make a choice, he leaned toward Tsunade.

After all, her disposition appeared more candid and transparent compared to Sarutobi Hiruzen's. His Clan's survival was virtually assured and they wouldn't fall victim to manipulation from within the village.

...

...

Konoha was a modest town situated in the centre of the Land of Fire. War zones of large countries often intersect with smaller nations.

For instance, during the Second Ninja War, Konoha and Sand Shinobi clashed and their battleground was primarily near the Land of Rain.

Similarly, at the moment Konoha and Kumo Shinobi should have fought the battle taking place in a smaller nation nestled between the land of Fire and Lightning —the Land of Hot Springs, Hidan's homeland.

However, the surprise assault by Cloud Shinobi had caught them off guard. By the time Sarutobi Hiruzen and his allies realized it, Hot springs had fallen to Cloud Shinobi who infiltrated through the Land of Fire's borders.

Konoha had encountered a rocky start.

"How's the Kumo army?" Danzo inquired as the commander-in-chief. He directed his query to the Anbu ninja tasked with monitoring the enemy's movements.

Clad in a fox mask and accompanied by a ninja dog, an Anbu member from the Inuzuka clan knelt on one knee.

"Cloud Shinobi's attack is unrelenting and fierce! They've launched large-scale frontal assaults about every ten days. These charges are typically led by Third Raikage's son—A and the Eight-Tails Jinchuriki, Killer B."

The Inuzuka Anbu member continued, "Simultaneously, they're dispatching covert squads via small routes into our Land of Fire. Two days ago, our Inuzuka family's ninja dog detected and intercepted them but we suffered casualties."

"The team's leader is a Magnet-style bloodline limit user named Toroi. He's exceptionally formidable, possessing the strength of an elite Jonin."

"Assault units?" Danzo's interest was piqued.

Sending a Root team with Hatake Tatsuya posing as a mission could be the perfect solution. They could locate a remote area, eliminate him and avoid any complications. Danzo's lips curved into a subtle smile as he contemplated this approach.

"Why the grinning? Are you formulating a strategy to repel the enemy Danzo?" Tatsuya interjected.

Danzo, who believed he had uncovered a means to eliminate Tatsuya was in high spirits. Unperturbed by the interruption, he nodded.

"Indeed, I do. Listen closely—"

"Wait!!!" A breathless Akamichi Choza burst into the conference room, his portly frame rushing forward.

"The recent report from our sentries indicates that Cloud Shinobi has launched yet another attack!"

"How's that possible? It hasn't even been five days since their last attack!" The Inuzuka Anbu member voiced his disbelief.

"How many of them are there?"

"Not many—approximately 800. A and Killer B are leading the charge."

Akamichi Choza struggled to catch his breath.

"They must be aware that Konoha has dispatched reinforcements and are likely probing our defences," Nara Shikaku analyzed.

Danzo, sensing the urgency, adjusted his orders and barked, "Deploy 1,000 Shinobi for battle! The first encounter is pivotal for morale. We must secure victory without incurring significant losses!"

"The first battle also presents a prime opportunity for the commander to showcase his leadership. Will the Commander in Chief also be joining the battle?" Tatsuya commented wryly.

"Of course," Danzo responded, his expression growing grim.

As he stood on the frontline, Danzo adopted the stance befitting a warrior. After all, which commander wouldn't be present on the battlefield?

Although Shimura Danzo often operated in the shadows, he still craved the limelight. Moreover, he harboured an inkling of ambition—to replace Hiruzen as the new Hokage.

Warfare? There was nothing to fear. After all, wasn't he also a Kage-level Shinobi?

READ 40 CHAPTERS AHEAD ON P*TREON.C*M/MARIONI

11