The General has Escaped
128 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: The General Has Escaped

In the outskirt of the capital of Gracior.

"Have you heard about the ogre of the battlefield?"

"I heard that he tore apart an enemy's body with his bare hand."

"Yeah! not only that, he fought a dragon with just underwear and a metal bat and also defeated it. It is said that he has scars all over his body and the scar in his face is just a small one among the many, he is also said to bath in the blood of his enemies after every battle thus named ......."

"Come on out with it; why are you keeping us in suspense."

"THE GREAT DEMON LORD OF GRACIOR"

While everyone was talking about the war and the war heroes, In the corner of the bar sat two knights, one who was barely holding his laugh and the other with apparent anger on his face.

"pfft, Boss, I didn't know that you actually tore a human with bare hands, and you fought a ha ha ha a dragon in your underwear I Brian now have a newfound respect for you, HAHAHAHA."

That's right, the two knights in the corner of the pubs were the Knight captain Brian and the general who is known as the Ogre of the battlefield Ranulf.

Ranulf was someone with a rough childhood; he was an orphan who lived in the slum and fought every day until the faithful day he met the war hero Brent Whitelash. Even now 10 years after the death of the mighty general, whenever he thinks about the time he met the general he always feel the same reverence he felt back then. No matter what kind of life he led before or after the death of the general, the people always saw him as kind and clumsy Person, but only the warriors who saw him fight or have fought against him knew that he was anything but kind and clumsy when there is a blade in his hand and a armor in his chest.

"Captain Brian, I am very pleased to tell you that you have just received a two months pay cut."

"Oh, great demo... I mean general, please forgive .."

"4 months pay cut, and if you don't shut up now, it will be 6 months."

Brian shut his mouth and nods. Pleased with that expression, Ranulf happily drank the bear in front of him. Even with all the weird rumors about him, he was pretty happy thinking about tomorrow as he could finally retire and live the countryside life he always wanted to live.

"Brian, after I leave the battalion, You will, be promoted and would take my place. Take good care of those bastards and yourself as well."

"of course, boss, I know what to do since I did learn from the best; I will miss you, sir; Everyone from the battalion will miss you."

"Okay! Don't start showing those weird emotion today. We drink all night."

While Ranulf and Brian were talking and drinking, A man with a mask entered the bar with his men. Chris didn't even need a second glance to recognize Sethornus de Gracia, The current ruler and one of the few people he considers his friend.

Sethornus commands his men to sit at the table next to his and he sits with Ranulf and Brian.

"So, you are finally retiring, my old friend."

"Of course, I have waited too long for this day." Anyone could tell that Ranulf was thrilled for tomorrow; even Sethornus hadn't seen him this happy in a long time.

Ranulf hands Sethornus a glass of beer and tells him to drink. He wanted to have his friend celebrate his happiness with him. But Sethornus didn't take the drink and kept on looking at Ranulf. He knew something was Sethornus wanted to say something to him with a heavy sigh he asks,

"What's the matter?"

Smiling that Ranulf understood his intention,

"Old friend, do you have to retire so early? You could stay by my side and help me make the kingdom a stronger and safer place to live in."

"To do that, you don't need me, Seth. You are already a great ruler."

Sethornus, with a self-mocking laugh, murmured something to himself and then handed a letter to Ranulf.

Ranulf looks at the gently folded letter with an insignia of the royal family on it.

"What's this?"

"Forgive me for doing this, but I need your help in improving this kingdom, so you can consider this as a chain to tie you to the kingdom."

"WHAT?"

Sethornus didn't say anything, he drank the beer, stood up, and finally said to Ranulf,

"Please consider what I have written in the letter; not everyone can get this opportunity."

After saying that, he left the bar with his men following behind him

Ranulf and Brian went their ways after leaving the bar. At home in his office, Ranulf opens up the letter and begins reading it. At first, it was just about the rewards he got, which included money and property. But, as he went on reading, his face gradually changed color as it said that "His highness king Sethornus de Gracia in tomorrow's ceremony will be Giving General Ranulf the noble title of the duke and is given the position of the Right Gate general." After reading the letter, Ranulf had only one thing running in his mind.

"I am truly sorry, your highness, but for my retirement, I cannot possibly accept your gift."

So, right after reading the letter, he packed his clothes, stored some money in his bag, carried his sword, placed a letter he had written on the table, and jumped outside his home. There was a letter of only 8 words in the letter, "I am running away for my retired life."

8