Part 2 It’s Not A Banshee
17 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leonor releases a frightful screech and the pale hand retreats.

The wailing resumes.

"Wait a second... That was a curiously small hand. Much too delicate to belong to any monster." She thinks.

Having come to her senses Leonor realizes that the wailing was no banshee at all, but someone crying and not just any cry but the cry of a child.

She peers behind the stack of boxes.

There is a young girl curled into a ball crying her eyes out into a dirty white blanket. She is shivering something fierce, who knows how long this poor girl must have been out here. Leonor squats down in front of her.

"Good morning princess. I'm sorry if I scared you. You must be dreadfully cold."

Leonor removes her coat and places it over the shoulders of the little girl.

The girl's wailing softens.

"Come on out, it's okay. This is no place for a little lady like yourself. Can I see your face sweetie. Can you lower you hands for me?"

The girl does not respond but her wailing slows to a hiccuping studder.

"I have something for you." Leonor pulls out a steamy-warm orange n' pumpkin croissant from her basket. "It's my favorite but I want you to have it."

The little girl cautiously lowers her hands from her face. She slowly takes the croissant and takes a bite.

Her smiling animated face does not lie, she loves the croissant and begins to eat as if she's never eaten before.

"My, what a beautiful little face you have." Leonor says.

"Really! You think I'm beautiful?!" The little girl asks through a mouth full of croissant.

Leonor laughs, "Yes, you are quite precious as well."

The little girl stands up and runs to Leonor to give her a hug.

"No one has ever called me beautiful before."

"Well you should get used to it because you are a beautiful girl." Leonor replies as she gives her a little kiss on the cheek. "Let's get you out of here."

She grabs the girl's sticky hand and they walk out of the cold alley.

Now in the sunlight, Leonor gets a clearer look at the little girl. She is wearing a thin white dress and long dirty-blonde hair that looks like it has never met a brush. Her cheeks are rosy red which are made more prominent against her dark blue eyes. Her golden lightly tanned skin indicates she must have been wandering in the sun recently and finally her toothy smile is as sweet as she is.

"There we are, don't you feel much better out here in the warm?"

The little girl nods and smiles as she finishes the croissant.

"What's your name sweetie and where's your family did you get lost? I'll help you find them."

"Thérèse is my name." She replies.

"What a lovely name, and your family where did you last see them?"

Thérèse pauses and her eyes begin to well.

"I— don't remember."

"You don't remember where you lost them? Maybe we can retrace your steps they must be awfully worried about you."

"I don't have a family... I ran away from the orphanage."

Leonor crouches down again to meet Thérèse at her level and give her a hug.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry sweetie. I'll tell you what, how about you come with me to the castle and we'll figure out what to do with you there, okay?"

"Castle? You've been to the castle?"

"Why of course. I live there."

"Wow, you must be something really special? Do you bake for the royal family or something?"

Leonor laughs.

"No silly, I belong to the royal family as the eldest Princess. Please forgive me for introducing myself so late, my name is Princess Leonor and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Thérèse."

"Wow, a real life princess." Thérèse says as she gently pats Leonor's face.

Leonor smiles.

"Are you making sure I'm real?"

"Uh-huh, I've never seen a real life Princess before. You are as pretty as I imagined all princesses are."

"Why thank you Thérèse. You are very pretty yourself as well."

Leonor does not wish to say it, but being complimented for once makes her feel amazing.

"I know silly, you already told me I'm beautiful. I'll never forget about that moment Princess Leonor." Thérèse says with smile.

"Come on let's go to the castle and get you cleaned up Thérèse."

"Okey dokey!"

Princess Leonor takes Thérèse by the hand and they gleefully walk through the town back to the awaiting carriage.

The driver is most shocked at seeing the little girl accompanying Leonor to which she tells him she made a special friend while in town. He has never seen Leonor with any friends, so this makes the driver most happy.

Thérèse is amazed at seeing the large horses and the intricately designed carriage but she is most amazed at the driver. She asks the driver if he is related to a hippo on account of his rotund belly and he releases a bellowing laugh.

"This one is most precious. I admire your unfiltered honesty young lady."

Leonor assists Thérèse up into the carriage and they begin their ride up the hills into the castle.

Thérèse cannot contain her excitement and sticks her head out of the window to wave at every Mr. Bird, Mr. Tree, and Mrs. Flower they pass. The flowers are female apparently.

Her joyous expressions last until they reach the moment when Thérèse's ears pop on account of the elevation. A sensation she has never felt before, causing her to take hold of Leonor.

She tells Thérèse to yawn to alleviate the pressure. Luckily the destination is not much further and they finally arrive at the castle entrance.

"I think my ears popped too hard. I don't feel so good Princess Leonor."

Leonor releases a little giggle.

"I think you might have caught a tiny bit of motion sickness Thérèse. You will be fine momentarily."

"I don't know what those big words you said mean, but you said them nicely. So I think you said I'll be fine." Thérèse replies as she struggles to find her balance on the ground.

Leonor's giggle turns into a laugh. 

She takes Thérèse's hand and proceed into the castle but not before they both thank the driver.

Strangely no one is there to open the main entrance doors for them. Inside is empty as well. Silent even. At any point in time there are all manners of people walking around the castle. It is never without activity.

Leonor turns around to ask the driver if has any clue where everyone went, but he has already departed with the carriage.

"How queer. Come Thérèse, let us investigate why the castle is empty."

                          * * *

Thank you for reading! I would appreciate a comment friend, what did you like? what didn't you like?

Next time we will discover why the castle is empty. Have the people been taken? Is this more sinister than Leonor realizes?

What events will unfold for our Princess in her abandoned Castle?

Read the next part to find out!

1