Chapter 1: Yuna misfortune.
285 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Why did this have to happen?!" A girl's fists clenched, her face twisted in frustration as she shouted in front of the game store counter.

"We apologize, ma'am. Due to last year's massive purchases, we couldn't renew our contract with the supplier, resulting in a shortage," a staff member mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"Come on, there's no way you don't have a single one left?!... ugh, why does this always happen to me?!" Yuna's voice quivered with anger, her body language reflecting her disappointment and distress.

This is Yuna, a 21-year-old girl who aspired to be an Elysian Online player after finishing her schooling. However, a year ago, someone had purchased all the game capsules on the game's launch day, leaving Yuna speechless. When she inquired about when new capsules would arrive, she learned that fresh stock would only be available a year later due to high demand.

Initially, Yuna didn't give up and scoured stores in different areas for the capsules. But her heart sank when she discovered the exorbitant prices beyond her reach. She chose to bide her time, working part-time at a nearby coffee shop to sustain herself while closely following in-game news and honing her gaming skills.

"Ugh... what a waste. I've waited all this time, only to be let down... a whole year of my life wasted," Yuna muttered, her voice tinged with regret as she idly twirled her hair, sitting outside the game store, lost in her thoughts.

Yuna's gaze fixated on a large screen displaying news about Elysian Online, which was nearing its first-anniversary celebration, set to welcome both newcomers and seasoned players.

"Hmm... should I just give up?" Yuna's eyes clouded with sadness as she contemplated the screen, her gaze drifting to the vast blue sky above.

A year ago, Yuna had eagerly awaited the capsule stock, devouring information about the game to catch up with experienced players. Over the year, she had painstakingly absorbed the game mechanics, staying up-to-date with every detail. Yet, it seemed her efforts had been in vain.

"Should I just buy the capsules in a different area?... no, they're still too expensive for me, and my savings as a coffee shop server are just enough for meals," Yuna pondered, her face displaying her financial constraints.

"Ugh! Why does this keep happening... if I find the person who monopolized those capsules, I feel like I want to strangle them, and... why doesn't the game maker ever lower the prices of their capsules?!" Yuna grumbled, her frustration evident as she shook her head.

While venting her anger, Yuna's phone rang, displaying the name and number of someone familiar to her: Elisa, her close friend since school. They hadn't spoken or met for a year.

Yuna, seeing the call, felt surprised and wondered why Elisa was calling her after a whole year.

Nonetheless, Yuna tried to remain positive, thinking maybe Elisa missed her. After all, Elisa wasn't one to keep in touch through phones and often appeared unannounced.

"Hey, Elisa, how have you been?" Yuna's voice perked up with excitement, her earlier irritation fading away.

"Yuna! Oh my goodness, it's been so long since I heard your voice... I could instantly recognize that it's still the same old Yuna I know from your voice alone!" Elisa's voice exuded her happiness upon hearing Yuna's voice on the phone.

"Haha... it seems you're still the same old Elisa I know too. So, what's the reason for your call?" Yuna quickly got to the point.

"Well, I actually have something to ask... how about we meet at our usual cafe?" Elisa suggested meeting in person.

"Hmm... alright, but you're paying the bill because you're the one who invited me," Yuna said, not wanting to dip into her savings.

"Sure, sure, sure... I'm actually already here, so if you want, I can order something for you," Elisa asked if Yuna wanted anything ordered for her.

Two small vanilla cakes and one milky chocolate, please," Yuna replied promptly upon hearing the offer.

"Alright, see you here later. Bye... hey, waiter, I'd like to place an order..." Elisa ended the call, having placed her order.

Yuna put her phone back in her jacket and sighed as the conversation ended. She stood up from her seat and glanced at the game store with a sense of disappointment and lingering frustration.

"Whatever, I don't want to think about this anymore. I'd rather meet with Elisa now... besides, those cakes and milky chocolate are on their way... yeah~" Yuna, lost in her thoughts about these two matters, seemed lost in her own world, imagining herself indulging in the food.

Yuna walked away, lost in her thoughts, and was observed curiously by those around her, but they paid her no mind.

"Hehe~"

......

"I wonder what level Yuna is at now... I don't see her name on the charts, but I'm sure she's been up to something in Elysian Online," Elisa, who looked content in the cafe, contemplated what Yuna might be doing. She was certain that Yuna had been quietly doing something in the game.

For a year, Elisa had been playing Elysian Online without Yuna's knowledge, striving to ensure she didn't fall behind or at least not lose to Yuna. In that time, she had reached the top 10 ranks in the country.

However, Elisa was not prepared for the reality she would face regarding Yuna and how her decision not to contact Yuna for a year might have inadvertently contributed to her friend's current predicament.

12