Chapter 14
61 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we finished making the javelins, I turned to face Lily, Sara, and Tim.

"Listen, everyone," I started, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside. "These javelins are a great start, but we need to be realistic. The Elite Zombie Boss is unlike anything we've faced before. It's smarter, faster, and more dangerous than all the regular zombies."

I paused, searching their faces. They were listening intently, their expressions a mix of understanding and fear. "It's too dangerous for you all to come with me right now. The risk of facing the Elite Zombie Boss together is just too high. If something happens to me, you'll all be done for, and I can't let that happen."

Sara's face tightened with concern. "But Kei, you can't face it alone. What if something happens to you?"

I understood her fear. The thought of facing the Elite Zombie Boss alone wasn't something I wanted to think about, but it was a risk I had to take. "I need to level up, to get stronger. I'll scout the school, and look for any advantages or weaknesses that can be exploited. Once I feel confident enough in my abilities, I'll try to take it out."

Lily nodded, a look of determination settling on her face. "We trust you, Kei. Just... be careful, okay?"

I smiled, touched by their trust and support. "I will be. And while I'm out there, you guys should prepare as well. Strengthen the barricades, and gather any supplies you can find in the classroom. We need to be ready for anything."

Tim stepped forward, his eyes burning with determination. "We'll do our part here," he said, his voice laced with a hint of aggression. "Just make sure you come back to us in one piece, got it?"

I promised them I would, feeling a renewed sense of purpose. With a final look at them, I slung the makeshift quiver of javelins over my shoulder and headed towards the door. The hallway outside was eerily quiet, the silence unnerving.

Stepping out of the classroom, I could feel the weight of the makeshift quiver on my back, the javelins weapon of defense and offense. I took a deep breath, steadying my nerves, and began to move.

I kept to the shadows, my steps light and cautious. My senses were heightened, attuned to the slightest sound, and the faintest movement. The silence was both a blessing and a curse, amplifying the tension but also hopefully giving me the advantage of surprise.

As I rounded a corner, I spotted my first target — a lone zombie shuffling aimlessly down the corridor. My grip tightened on a javelin, the smooth wood a comfort in my hand. I took aim, the zombie oblivious to its impending doom. With a swift, fluid motion, I threw the javelin. It sailed through the air, silently, and struck the zombie squarely in the head. It collapsed and fell onto the ground with a thud.

Encouraged by the success, I retrieved the javelin and moved on. My strategy was simple yet effective: avoid direct confrontations, use the element of surprise, and strike from a distance. The hallways became my hunting ground, with all my ambushes being carefully calculated.

The encounters varied — some zombies were alone, others in small groups. I adapted to each situation, using the environment to my advantage. A quick throw from behind a door, a silent strike from the shadows, my actions precise and deadly. The feeling of empowerment grew with each successful takedown.

After what felt like hours, but in reality were only moments, my tally of downed zombies reached around 20. I felt a surge of energy course through me, a familiar sensation that signaled a level-up. A small notification appeared in my vision: "Level Up! Level 14 Achieved. +5 Stat Points Available."

The temptation to allocate the stat points was strong, but I decided against it. There was a strategic advantage in holding off, in assessing my needs based on the evolving challenges. For now, the focus was on leveling up and reconnaissance, like understanding the patterns of the zombies, especially the Elite Zombie Boss.

With my newfound level at 14, I felt a surge of confidence, yet I was careful not to let it morph into overconfidence. The school's eerie hallways continued to present a maze of potential dangers, and I navigated them cautiously. The silent ambushes became a rhythmic dance, each move choreographed with precision and purpose.

My strategy remained unchanged: strike fast, strike silently, and keep moving. The javelins proved to be invaluable, their reach allowing me to maintain a safe distance from the undead that roamed the corridors. The encounters honed my experience further, turning my stealthy attacks into a deadly art form.

As I moved through the school, I kept a mental map of my progress, noting any areas of particular danger or potential safe places.

Despite the focus on stealth, confrontations were sometimes unavoidable. In those moments, my agility and the javelins' effectiveness were put to the test. The zombies, though slow and cumbersome, were relentless.

The night wore on, and my tally of downed zombies steadily increased. With each takedown, I could feel myself getting closer to the next level. The anticipation built within me, a mixture of eagerness and apprehension. Leveling up meant getting stronger, but it also meant possibly facing greater challenges, like a direct encounter with the Elite Zombie Boss.

Finally, as I dispatched another small group of zombies in a deserted science lab, the familiar sensation of leveling up washed over me. ""Level Up! Level 15 Achieved. +5 Stat Points Available," the notification announced, bringing me a sense of excitement.

"I'm now as strong as the Elite Zombie Boss! Ahahaha!" I exclaimed, reveling in my newfound power. "I’m almost the strongest now! Ahahaha!"

Well. At least level-wise.

2