Chapter 19
52 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I continued to sort through the supplies with Lily, I mulled over the idea of confronting Tim directly. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that pressing him for answers might not be the best approach. The stress of our situation was getting to us, and adding more tension to it could do more harm than good.

I made a decision. I wouldn't confront Tim, at least not now. It was important to maintain a semblance of harmony, especially since we were relying on each other for survival. Instead, I would give him some space, hoping that with time, he might open up on his own or his suspicions would dissipate.

Turning back to the group, I announced, "It's been a long day, everyone. We should try to get some shut-eye." The others nodded in agreement, the weariness evident in their expressions.

We discussed and quickly decided on a shift system for keeping watch during the night. It was needed for our safety, even in the seemingly secure confines of the classroom. Sara volunteered for the first shift, insisting she wasn't very tired. Tim took the second shift, followed by Lily, and I would take the last one, just before dawn.

Once the watch schedule was settled, we began the task of finding comfortable spots in the classroom to rest in. I settled in a corner, using someone's random backpack as a pillow and draping my jacket over me as a blanket. The hard floor was far from ideal, but exhaustion made it bearable. As I lay there, staring at the dimly lit ceiling, my mind wandered back to Tim's suspicions.

It was a troubling thought, the idea that one of us harbored doubts about the other. It was never good when the line between friend and foe was blurred. Trust was a fragile thing, but it was also the most valuable currency we had. Without it, our chances of survival would diminish significantly.

I pushed these thoughts aside, focusing instead on the rhythmic breathing of my companions. Despite the hard floor and the unease in my mind, fatigue eventually took over. My eyelids grew heavy, and the sounds of the others settling in became distant. The last thing I remember before drifting off was the faint, rhythmic breathing of my companions.

In the stillness of the classroom, as sleep enveloped me, a chilling transformation began. The familiar surroundings seemed to melt away, replaced by the empty streets of a city twisted beyond recognition. Towering buildings loomed over me, their windows dark and foreboding. The sky was painted an eerie shade of red, casting a crimson glow over everything.

I wandered alone, my footsteps echoing. An oppressive sense of dread hung in the air, suffocating in its intensity. Then, without warning, the ground trembled beneath me. From the shadows, creatures of unspeakable horror emerged. Their limbs were grotesquely twisted, and their mouths gaped with rows of razor-sharp teeth, that gleamed in the dim light.

Before I could even react, the scene shifted again, and I found myself back in the classroom. But it was a nightmarish version of it — dark, with shattered windows letting in the cold night air. My companions were there, but they were unnaturally still, like eerie statues. I called out, my voice echoing hollowly, but there was no response back.

Twisted creatures slinked out of the darkness, and surrounded us with ill intent. I tried to move, to fight, but my limbs were heavy, and resistant. The creatures edged closer, their snarls growing louder, their teeth inches from my skin.

At the very moment when I felt a creature's hot breath on my neck, I woke up with a start, my breath ragged, the classroom once again quiet and still. The others were asleep and undisturbed.

I rose silently, my heart still racing from the vivid terror. In the dim light, I saw Sara keeping watch, her lithe outline a comforting presence against the darkness. I decided to join her, the need for reassurance driving me.

As I approached Sara, my footsteps were light to avoid waking the others. As I neared her, she immediately sensed my distress. In the dim glow of the moonlight, her concerned eyes met mine. "Is everything okay?" she asked softly, her voice barely above a whisper.

I hesitated for a moment, the echoes of the nightmare still clear in my mind. "Just a bad dream," I replied, trying to dismiss it with a half-hearted smile. But Sara wasn't convinced; she could see through my facade.

She patted the floor beside her, inviting me to sit. "Want to talk about it?" she offered, her tone gentle and understanding.

I sat down, my back against the wall, feeling the cold of the floor seep through my clothes. I recounted the nightmare in hushed tones, describing the empty streets, the grotesque creatures, and the eerie silence of the transformed classroom. As I spoke, my voice trembled slightly, betraying the fear that the dream had instilled in me.

Sara listened intently, her expression one of empathy. When I finished, she reached out, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "It's just a dream," she reminded me softly, "It can't hurt you. We're safe here, together."

Her words were simple, but they brought me some comfort. Sara's presence, her calm demeanor, helped to calm me, pulling me back from the edge of the lingering panic. She continued to speak in soothing tones, her words a gentle lullaby in the darkness of the classroom.

"You're strong, and you've been doing so much for all of us," she said, her voice steady and reassuring. "It's okay to be scared sometimes. It doesn't make you any less brave."

Her words were like a balm to the worry that had taken root in my heart. I nodded, feeling the tension slowly ebb away. We sat in silence for a few more moments, the soft sound of our companions' breathing playing in the background.

"Try to get some more sleep," Sara suggested, her voice now barely audible. "I'll be here, keeping watch. You're safe."

Feeling much calmer thanks to her supportive presence, I got up. As I walked back to my corner, the memory of Sara's steady, reassuring gaze stayed with me. I nestled back into my spot, and the haunting remnants of the nightmare began to fade, and were replaced by the comforting echo of Sara's consoling words.

3