Chapter 51
99 6 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am back. Took a small vacation over the weekend to relax. 

 

 

.............

Gods, Archdukes of hell, Demon Lords, the Elemental Titans, etc. All of these things fucking terrified me. I understood I was nothing more than a golden apple waiting to be eaten. The Gods could destroy the divine gate. If they did the whole world would fall into a second Calamity that might destroy all life in Exandria this time. It was risky but they would do it to kill me and seal the Soul Dream from anyone that wants to control it. This Giant telling me I was requested at Vasselheim was comforting despite all the divine casters and champions living there. I had been “invited” to visit the city and not dragged there immediately. 

 

“Do I have to leave right now?” I asked. 

 

“No. It would be preferred if you could visit soon though. The world will not wait for you to be ready,” the gaunt giant said. 

 

“Mistress Aqen. Is it wise to not take him now?” The Giant Knight asked. 

 

“Silence Pasha. We are simply the messengers. He will decide on his own,” Aqen said. 

 

“As you command,” Pasha said. 

 

These servants of the Raven Queen were odd. The Matron of Death loved dark macabre. I don’t know if it was a conscious thing or if the domain of death did that to the god. Her followers also seemed to enjoy it as both of these women moved and spoke in unnatural ways. Aqen’s bones creaked as she moved and small wisps swirled around her. When I looked at Pasha I could hear faint screams of things in agony. Both of these women seemed deeply in tune with death and necromancy. The Raven Queen hates the practice of raising the dead but her followers are proficient in the school of magic. The arcane craft of death was useful in many applications, not just in creating zombies and skeletons. If not for Vecna and his worshipers necromancy might have been a respectful school to learn in most civilized societies. 

 

“I can’t leave yet. There are people down there that need to be saved. Since you felt the need to approach me now with this summons can I ask you to assist in their rescue?” I asked. 

 

“It would be an honor to save these lost souls,” Aqen said. 

 

Excellent. With their help, I might make it to the Red Dragon guarding their treasure vault but that will have to wait a little bit. 

 

“Good. Come on down,” I said and jumped down the hole.

 

The Fire Giants I threw down the whole didn’t die immediately but the prisoners handled them. Roman and his group gathered the prisoners and armed them with weapons stolen back from the giants. The small rabbit man approached me to speak.

 

“We are ready for whatever you have planned,” Roman said. 

 

“Good. Listen up! I could escort you all to the surface and into the wilderness beyond but that is a horrible idea. I can’t protect you from the creatures and environment. It will probably take over a day to reach Uthodurn and even longer for Palebank Village. Instead, we are going to kill the rest of the giants here. Once this fortress is clear we can worry about how to get you all to safety,” I said. 

 

At this time Aqen and Pasha come into view walking down the tower. 

 

“Those two are friends. One of them will stay here and help protect you guys while the other will join me and finish the remaining giants,” I said. 

 

“That doesn’t sound too bad of an idea. This wouldn’t be the first time I escaped a prison and wandered the cold tundra. It's best if we stay here while help comes to us,” Roman said. 

 

It’s not? Shit, what the hell has this rabbit gotten up to? 

 

“Pasha, you go with him. I will protect you all. Those of you that can fight come speak to me. In addition, I have magics that can heal the injured,” Aqen said. 

 

The prisoners and Aqen gathered together to discuss plans to make this mine defensible and how they would hold up here until help arrived. I walked to the massive doors that led further into the volcano. There was also a path that led further into the mines but I don’t think they keep their treasure there. 

 

“I don’t know how many are left. How many have we killed?” I asked Pasha. 

 

“I think around fourteen or so. If I had to guess there might be another eleven including their leader. Think you can handle that many?” She asked. 

 

“HA! I know I can. The Giants might have the advantage of numbers but I can ignore their fire and shrug off most damage they deal. Don’t be afraid to let me take some of the damage. I heal fast,” I said. 

 

“I won’t cower behind you while you do all the work but I see the wisdom in this. Go ahead then,” Pasha said nodding her head to the door. 

 

Time to make an entrance. I kicked open the door and rushed inside claws and spikes first. I was met with a hallway. 

 

“There is no one in there,” Pasha said snickering. 

 

“Yeah well shut up,” I said. 

 

I swallowed my embarrassment and walked down the hall. There were several doors in this hall that opened into bedrooms, lounges, a kitchen, and a dining area. The hallway ended with two double doors. I could hear shouting from the other side and the shifting of metal armor. 

 

“I think this it,” I whispered to Pasha. 

 

“Don’t embarrass yourself this time,” she said. 

 

“I’ll try not to,” I said and kicked the door off its hinges. It slid into the room and I could see all eleven Fire Giants waiting on the other side of a long and massive hall. The only ones that stood out were two more of the duel-wielding shield warriors and one that had a massive molten hot hammer. It glowed like they had just taken it out from sitting in a lava pool. 

 

“FUCKERS! I don’t know why you bitches felt the need to come in here and ruin a good thing but you ain't leaving in one piece. I am going to turn both of you into a fucking slag statues and use you to decorate my throne,” the big one with the hammer said. 

 

 I filled my throat filled with frost and I rushed the giants. These slavers didn’t deserve any witty banter. 

 

 

…………..

 

 

The mountain is rumbling more than usual. My captures must be fighting something strong. Their opponent uses the fire as well as they do. Of course, they have neglected their training. How else could I have gained control of the elemental flow like I have? The fools have left me here in the heart of the volcano where I can draw in the elemental essence without interruption. 

 

I have been waiting for the moment when I might break these chains and punish these damned giants for my capture. I will rip the flesh from their bones and eat their livers while they still breathe. They will die a thousand deaths for this shame. My scales are charred and lackluster. My body has grown thin and weak. They have left me here to rot and for that, they will pay. 

 

Despite the state of my body, I have never felt more connected with fire. The volcano is an excellent source of the element. This will be my lair and none shall stand in my way. The icy bitch Gelidon will cower before my might. 

 

Wait. I am distracted. The fire that filled most of the Fire Giants is being snuffed out. Only one remains. NO! That is my prey. How dare you take them from me! My revenge!

 

…………..

 

 

"Give it up Giant. I'd like to think we have shown you can't beat us. Surrender and your death will be quick and painless," I said. 

 

"Surrender? My men are dead. I can't rebuild this place by myself. I have nothing more to lose," the giant leader said and swung their hammer at me. 

 

I caught the attack with my tentacles and wrapped it tightly. They were stronger than their soldiers but I could still handle them. With my grip on their weapon, I swung the giant around for Pasha to land a blow with her scythe. Her ghostly blade stabbed into a weakness in the Fire Giant's armor. They screamed in pain as the blade left their body. With bites from hydra heads and punches from my giant armors, I dented and tore apart their armor. I removed the giant's helmet and Pasha delivered the final blow with a swing of her scythe to his head. The leader's body went limp so I released them.

 

"Fuck I am tired. How many did you get?" I asked. 

 

"I got seven including that one," Pasha said. 

 

That means I got 4. One of them seemed to be the blind chef I was told about so that should make Furengur happy. I think I have killed around 10 or so Fire Giants in total since I started my attack. That's going to lead to a massive increase in strength. I might get to be a Hecatoncheires. In the older editions of D&D, they were probably the strongest monster you could fight. They could even rival the avatar forms of some gods. Now in the 5th edition, they didn't exist until the crossover book, Odyssey of Thereos, with MTG, came out. It was called the Hundred Handed One. They mechanically weren't that strong but any creature with a hundred arms is bound to be a city crusher. 

 

"Since they grouped up like this I will assume that was all of them. The small folk can handle themselves now. You will now head to Vasselheim, yes?" Pasha said. 

 

"Not yet. We should look around more to make sure there are no other surprises," I said. 

 

The room started to rumble then. Shit, I jinxed it. 

 

"I do not like that. We should leave soon," Pasha said. 

 

"It's a volcano. There is bound to be some geologic activity," I said but another rumble occurred. 

 

"This might not be some. We are leaving," she said. 

 

Shit. I am pretty tired and not sure I can handle the dragon by myself right now. Especially not without the chance that it might escape and hurt the prisoners. 

 

"We should–," I tried to say before the ground beneath us erupted into shards and lava. 

 

I fall on my back trying to avoid the eruption and roll around to avoid falling chunks of rock. Pasha got thrown to the back of the room and smashed into a wall. 

 

From the eruption, a thin dark scaled dragon head rose. Two thin arms pulled the rest of the creature's body out of the hole. They were malnourished and extremely thin. Their scales were a dark crimson color smeared with soot their wings were shredded. This dragon was obviously mistreated and tortured. They looked at us with hatred in their eyes. 

 

"No! They were mine to kill not yours. You have denied me my vengeance and for that, you will pay with your lives!" The dragon screamed at us. 

 

The air around the dragon seemed to burn and the temperature rose a few hundred degrees. I could feel my skin blister at the heat. I should be immune to fire how is this hurting me? 

 

Aww fuck. I didn't see a lot of them but there were player abilities that could ignore immunities and resistances. Despite the dragon's weak-looking body, he possessed power still. 

 

I looked and saw Pasha unconscious still in the wall. She needs help. 

 

"Hey skinny, you might want to talk to a dietician. A visible ribcage hasn't been in fashion for at least 100 years," I taunted. 

 

 

6