Chapter 60
134 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I hate having to work. So tired. But I got this finished so enjoy everyone. 

 

............

It was good to learn that the Cobalt Soul did have arcane casters. They were technically a religious order that followed the Knowing Mistress, so tensions with wizards might be a little tense, Especially with the Cerberus Assembly scooping up almost everyone with magical talents. One of these casters had teleported Expositer Kresh and me to the Rexxentrum Archives. 

 

“Archivist Kathedoc. Keep an eye on this one for me, please. I need to retrieve the High Curator,” Kresh ordered and walked away before the Archivist could respond. 

 

“Do Expositors rank higher than Archivists? She seems a bit rude,” I asked. 

 

“Technically, they do. She can be a bit of an uptight prick,” Kathedoc said. She was an older Half-Orc woman with grey hair tied into a bun. 

 

“Well, I feel for you then. Edsom Lewis. A pleasure to make your acquaintance,” I said, extending my hand for a handshake. 

 

“Likewise. It is good to meet someone with manners, at least. What brings you to the Archives today?” she said, not so subtly chiding Kresh. 

 

“I am actually in need of your services. I plan to travel to Vasselheim. Are you in charge of the teleportation circles?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer was yes. 

 

“That would be me. Since the Expositor is getting the High Curator, I assume this must be important business,” she said, wanting me to give her more information. 

 

“For me, it is important. I hope this will be the beginning of a fruitful relationship.” I knew I would need to work with the Cobalt Soul eventually, so this was an excellent place to plant seeds of future cooperation. I am starting with a bit of information trade. 

 

Eventually, Kresh returned, followed by an androgynous half-elf. They had orange hair and wore white robes with blue and gold trim. This was the High Curator of the Cobalt Soul Yudala Fon—Herald of the Rexxentrum Archives and advisor to King Dwendal. The only authority higher than them in the Soul was the Knowing Mistress herself. They had an equal, the High Curator of Vasselheim. If they allowed me to travel there, they would essentially be passing on more work to Vasselheim. 

 

I knew this could create tension between the two High Curators, so I needed to make this worth their trouble. I started off by giving a half bow. “High Curator. It is an honor to meet you. I hope our negotiations today will lead to a long and profitable relationship.”

 

They stopped and returned with a slight bow. Nothing on their face or body language gave me any information on their thoughts. This was one of the most skilled diplomats in the Empire. I doubt I would leave this conversation without giving up an arm and a leg's worth of information. Only the fact they suspected me to be a Red Dragon gave me any credibility. 

 

I mean, I was a Red Dragon, technically. That would carry me far, but it would also work against me. Red Dragons were notoriously prideful and seldom acted for anything other than their own benefit. 

 

“Why don’t we take this conversation somewhere more private,” they said and walked out the door. 

 

Kresh stared at me and then followed behind Yudala. If looks could kill, I would probably be in the middle of the most brutal battle of my life with this Expositor. Wait. Some creatures could actually kill by looking at you. I want that. 

 

The meeting room I was led to had a simple design, but my magical senses told me it was warded against most forms of divination. This would be a suitable location to plot for continental domination. 

 

Yudala took a seat and gestured for me to take the chair opposite her. “Expositor Kresh has informed me that you are seeking to travel to Vasselheim, but you just spoke of negotiations. What are you hoping to gain from cooperation with the Cobalt Soul?” 

 

I took a deep breath and returned my best stoic face. “First things first. I need access to your teleportation circle to Vasselheim. I have a meeting that requires my presence in the city.” 

 

“Who are you meeting with?” Yudala asked. No doubt she was studying every one of my body's reactions. I tried my best, but my poker face couldn’t beat the leader of the Soul. 

 

“Several heads of various religions. I believe they wish to request something from me, and I will probably meet some of their demands,” I replied. 

 

“And what does this have to do with a lasting partnership with the Cobalt Soul?” Yudala asked. 

 

“I plan on destroying the four ruling families of Shady Creek Run and taking the town for myself, hoping to make it a profitable outpost for exploration and travel into the Greying Wildlands,” I told them my master plan. Well, at least the master plan for about 2 years or so, with the occasional break to take care of some random things.

 

There was an awkward silence in the room as Yudala looked at me and then back to Kresh. I basically said I would eliminate half of all crime in the empire after all. The High Curator took a moment before speaking. 

 

“That is a lofty goal. The families of Shady Creek Run are well entrenched in the Savalirwoods. Any attempts to take over the town will suffer from constant sabotage. You would need considerable manpower and gold to maintain control of the town.” 

 

“Yes, I know. I have a solution to the gold cost and the beginning of whom I would need to speak to about keeping control of the town. That is part of why I am approaching the Cobalt Soul. I need you to convince Dwendal that I am a better neighbor than a rival,” I said. 

 

“You are asking us to commit treason,” Yudala stated, but I knew she didn’t really care about treason. Their loyalties are to the people of Exandria, not some monarch. 

 

“This would hardly be considered treason. I plan on eliminating a criminal safe haven that has threatened the empire for decades. Drug trafficking, slavery, counterfeiting, money laundering, smuggling, and much more. All that will stop under my rule. All I ask is to maintain control of my city-state. I am sure Dwendal can understand the benefits of a friendly, draconic neighbor. One that will pay tariffs to the crown instead of bribes to corrupt officials that rot his domain,” I said. 

 

Yudala’s mask was perfect. I couldn’t insight a single thing from here. Kresh, on the other hand, did let her mask slip. She seemed a little happy about working around Dwendal. I could placate the king for them while they enjoyed the fruits of my work. 

 

“I can also hand over all information about any criminal activity here in the empire. No doubt there will be information on Mryiad activity,” I said, trying to sweeten the deal. 

 

“Who are your allies. Who will help you take over the city and let you keep it? To fight the families of Shady Creek Run is not to win a single battle. It will be a war of subterfuge and infiltration. They will infect your forces and collapse your rule from within. We will need some guarantee that this isn’t some half-baked plan,” Yudala asked. 

 

“I have friends in Uthodurn and Bysaes Tyl. The elves of both cities would more than be interested in fighting for their home back and have a good amount of hatred for thieves that steal the remains of their former home,” I said. 

 

“And how will you get them to work together. It is an understatement that both cultures are not friendly with each other right now,” Yudala asked. 

 

“Common goals, coin, and the promise of retaking their home. Plus, I have a good show of force. Not many will tell a dragon no. In addition to elves, I have friends in the Clovis Concord. I know a few people that might accept my offer of employment. There is also another group you would know of. The Claret Orders. Most things that go bump in the night lurk in the Savalirwoods. I can convince a few of their order to work security for the city.” I had been planning this for a while with the Planning Committee's help. 

 

“That is a long list of connections. Are you sure you can guarantee their help?” Yudala asked. 

 

“Perhaps not all of them, but most. One of the two elven cities will answer the call for sure. Both might simply do it because they can’t allow their rival the upper hand. The Concord I am uncertain of. The Claret Orders might like the opportunity to no longer hide in the shadows. Many other individuals would jump at the chance. I will just have to find them,” I said. 

 

“A lot of uncertainty in this plan,” Yudala said. 

 

“Sometimes you just have to wing it. I have always intended to build myself a home. A place where I could live in somewhat peace and the small corrupt town outside of the Savalirwoods will be the place where I do that,” I said. 

 

The room was filled with silence once more. Not the same dreadful one that followed my bold plan but a contemplative one. The monks were finally considering my offer. 

 

“We will need time to consider your offer. For now, I believe you have told us the truth about needing to use our teleportation circles. Kresh, take him to see Kathedoc,” Yudala commanded. 

 

“Yes, High Curator,” Kresh led me out of the room. The walk back to the Archivist wasn’t as bad as I expected. “You are either the craziest or stupidest dragon I have ever met.” 

 

Ha! I doubt she has seen many dragons, so the bar wasn’t high. “I like to dream big. Shady Creek Run felt like a place where people wouldn’t mind getting a change in leadership. I don’t plan on continuing the slave trade either, so that might buy me some favorable opinions.” 

 

 “Yeah, that is the thing I don’t get. You are a Red Dragon, right? How come you are so… pleasant?” Kresh asked. No doubt she knew about the behaviors of dragons and the meaning of their colors. The Chromo Conclave had taken over most of Taldori only 20 years or so ago. It took 4 ancient chromatic dragons a matter of days to conquer half a continent. 

 

“I am not like other Dragons. Most importantly, I wasn’t born a Dragon,” I said. 

 

“What do you mean by that?” Kresh asked. 

 

I didn’t respond. Best to let the monk decipher the truth for herself. Not that she would get close to it. 

 

We reached Archivist Kathedoc a minute later. She was happy to see me again, and we had a pleasant conversation about the city of Vasselheim. I mostly learned things I already knew, but it was nice to have a refresher. 

 

“Thank you for your help,” I said. 

 

“Of course. If you have need of the archives again, please don’t hesitate to send them ahead,” Kathedoc said. 

 

Our goodbyes were said, and I entered the room marked Vasselheim. The Archivist said they had already used sending to inform them of my arrival, so I was good to step on the platform. A large part of me was hesitant. Vasselheim was an ancient and powerful city. Not only that, but I would be going there to meet with the gods themselves. This could end in many different ways. The fact the gods had chosen to speak with me first was a good sign. 

 

I shook off my trepidations. If worse came to pass, I had a few tricks of my own. I could escape from the god's champions if it came to it. Probably. Maybe. Definitely. 

 

 

4