The Shrine and the Girl.
46 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My name is Abigail Kurosaki, and I have a lot of bad luck. My days were filled with unlucky occurrences like a street lamp falling on my dad's new car, or a meteor falling through our house's roof. Today was no different, I had been almost run over by a car, had a bird poop on my head, and even was hit in the face by a kid's skateboard.

"Oh look girls, it's Little Miss Fortunate, don't get near her, she might transfer her bad luck to you."

That was Tari Gomez, and she constantly bullies me for my long streak of bad luck, though sometimes I wish I could transfer my bad luck to others because of her. My bullies love to pick on me everyday.

"Tari, cut it out, if she transfers it to us, she wouldn't be the one getting the worst of it,"

I only had one friend, a Japanese-Irish girl named Ume who seemed to always have good luck on her side. Ume was always near me, as my bad luck and her good luck cancelled each other out. Today though she was sick, so I was stuck with my bad luck for the entire day.

As I walked home, I saw my father dusting the small shrine my mother had built when she was alive. He always took care of that little shrine, and I often helped him, as it was all I had to know my mother by.

"Abigail! Come help you old man with cleaning the shrine, Ok?"

"Coming Dad!"

I ran over to him, and grabbed a wet rag. As I helped him wash the shrine, I told him my complaints, and about my bad luck, something I always hid from him as best I could.

"Well my little fox, That bad luck runs in our family, when I was your age I also had a similar trail of bad luck, here How about you pray to your mother's shrine for good luck, maybe you'll feel better."

"Ok... I'll try..."

<Dear god or goddess of this shrine, I wish for good fortune to befall me, so that I won't cause problems for others anymore.>

After my prayer, I noticed a fox standing outside my front yard, staring at me. Its fur was the color of the sun and seemed to give off an otherworldly aura.

The fox stared at me with golden eyes for what felt like hours before it disappeared into the trees.

***

Me and my father finished up cleaning the shrine and went back home to eat dinner, which was a delicious rabbit stew my father always made to cheer me up. That night as I went to bed, I suddenly felt heat all over my body. It was like being bathed in a fire, and my head and back hurt the most.

The pain was so terrible I couldn't even scream out for help, only helplessly lay on my bed in immense pain. Then suddenly the heat turned into an excruciating pain in my lower back as if something was trying to crawl its way out. I then heard the sound of fabric being ripped to shreds as a huge pressure on my back lessened.

Once the pain had subsided, my head began to hurt like being stung by a million bees. I felt something grow from the top of my head before fainting due to the pain. The fox I had seen after praying at the shrine outside my window watching me.

***

I awoke that morning feeling like I could take on an ogre in a wrestling match. I got dressed, fixed my hair, and screamed as a pair of fox ears and a fox tail had appeared on my body overnight. My father then burst through my bedroom door with a worried look on his face that soon turned into joy.

"What's wrong, my little fox! Oh, I see you finally awakened your mother's genes."

"Dad! What happened! Explain who mom was and why I suddenly grew fox parts!"

"Ok, Ok. It all started when I met your mother during a business trip to Okinawa, she had the most beautiful golden hair, and a laugh that would cause any man to want to protect her happiness. We chatted for a few months before finally dating, and in my surprise, she proposed to me, and we got married in the japanese way."

"I'm not here for your romance stories Dad! I want to know why I suddenly have fox parts."

"I was getting to that, we eventually moved into this house and she gave birth to you, but left due to fear of what her sisters would do if they found out you were born. before she left she revealed to me her true nature as a Kyubi and created a shrine to her mother for me to take care of."

"So I'm some kind of fox demon! Now how am I supposed to go to school!"

"Your mother thought ahead and left you this."

My father then pulled out a small box from behind his back and handed it to me. when I opened the box, inside was a simple choker with a heart shaped charm on it. Putting it on, I felt a rush of energy as my tail and ears suddenly became invisible to the eye.

"How do I look, Dad!"

"Like my little fox. Now go make sure that no one tugs your tail, and I'll pick you up from school."

I was confused about the day to come as I ran towards the school building. As I approached, I smelt something like a wet dog walking towards me. When I looked that way I saw Tari and her group of girls walking my way.

"If it isn't the little bad luck magnet, you should stay home we don't want your bad luck to rub off on us."

"Come on Tari, she not worth our time"

"No Mari, I'm tired of you controlling my every action, I'll do what I want."

The girl next to Tari seemed to be her twin sister Mari who had albinism and was always there to calm Tari down.

"Hello Mari, Hello Tari. Hey Tari did you know that you smell like a wet dog? Even Mari smells better than you."

"WHAT DID YOU SAY! NO ONE MAKES A FOOL OUT OF TARI GOMEZ AND LIVES!"

As Tari went to throw her fist at me, she suddenly stopped. I noticed that a pair of white wolf ears had appeared on Mari's head, and she had stopped Tari's punch. On top of Tari's head was a pair of jet black wolf ears with one that had a tear on it.

"Look, Your name is Abigail right, you just messed with the Black Cadejo, you're lucky I was here, as the White Cadejo it's my job to keep Tari from killing mindlessly."

"Black and White Cadejo, you mean from the mexican legend? I'll have you know Tari had been bullying a Kyubi, so It's her own fault I got tired of playing the victim."

"Well, while we have no grudge against your kind, lots of beings do, so I wouldn't reveal that to freely."

As Mari turned her attention back towards her twin, I was still thinking about what she had said, but it didn't matter, today was going to be a great day.

2