1
132 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bo Lin swept the yard as he was told. His father was out buying rice, and his mother was inside sowing his ripped clothes.

He had no siblings, he was an only child. He wished he had a sibling to talk to, but Bo Lin was one of the few children in his village.

Rain village was small, with a population of less than five hundred. Everyone here lived a simple lifestyle, and in all honesty Bo Lin thought that is what he wanted as well.

He was thirteen this year and he's never dreamed of exploring past his village. Why go to another village when he had all he wanted here? He might not be the best looking boy in the village but he was definitely not ugly. He knew that for a fact, his mother told him.

However, Bo Lin was a shy boy. He was quiet and did what he was told. A good child that obeyed his parents.

He didn't have many friends. Actually he had none. Because he usually stayed home all day he never interacted with many people. Others talked loud and played rough. Bo Lin didn't like that, he was a soft spoken person. Although he rarely spoke at all.

Sweeping the yard took him an hour before he was satisfied with how it looked. A triumphant smile was perched on his face.

"Bo Lin, there's an immortal in the village, have you heard?"

Elaine asked him. She had jet black hair that matched her Raven black eyes. She was one of the few children around his age that lived in Rain village.

The boys fancied her for her looks, but Bo Lin liked her because she spoke to him. Many others here didn't. The idea of having children in the future and carrying on his families lineage was far out of his mind. Who'd want to date a man who doesn't speak much?

Even his mom had a difficult time trying to set up his marriage. Although he was young, he was a bit different than the others so his mother thought it was best to think about his future now. His father on the other hand always spoke about his past and how he had many women flocking after him. He tried to give Bo Lin tips, but frankly Bo Lin found the entire conversation embarrassing.

His parents were expecting too much of him. Why did he have to marry and have kids? Couldn't he just die alone?

Bo Lin shook his head.

"Leave him Elaine, he's a total weirdo. The immortals not here for him anyways."

Burr said.

Bo Lin didn't disagree. If there was an immortal here in their village they definitely were not here for him.

Burr was two years older than him and was the most handsome in the village. He also disliked Bo Lin for some reason that Bo Lin wasn't sure about. They rarely interacted with one another. In fact he could count on one hand the times Bo Lin responded to Burr.

"If you're interested come to the village square. I heard they are recruiting disciples!" Elaine sounded excited at the idea.

Bo Lin had to admit it was tempting. Soaring in the sky, commanding thunder, and shattering mountains. There were so many legends of Immortals that Bo Lin could tell for a thousand lifetimes. But he never imaged himself as one. He didn't have what it took.

Although there was that one time he was caught waving a stick around like a sword. Cutting through the heavens. Or so he pictured in his mind.

It was an embarrassing moment for him, especially since he was caught by Elaine doing it. She laughed at him which only made his face turn red as a tomato.

He feared the entire village knew of his act, but she must have kept it to herself since no one said anything. Or Bo Lin was so low on their gossip list they cared not for what he did.

Whatever the case may be, he always had that thought in the back of his head. What would it be like to be an immortal?

Maybe he should go. He wouldn't be chosen, but it would be nice to see what an immortal looked like up close. He's only heard the stories so he was interested to know how they looked. Were they human like him? Or did they have wings, six arms, horns or any other features?

Elaine and Burr didn't wait on him. They left heading to the square. In fact now that he was paying attention Bo Lin noticed a few people heading that way.

His work was done so he should be able to leave. But did he want to? Bo Lin wasn't good with large amounts of people. Maybe he'd just stay in the back and watch.

Yeah, that was fine. He'd do exactly that.

Bo Lin set his broom against the wooden fence and headed to the village square. He was not in a rush but he didn't take his time either.

When he arrived he felt a bit intimidated. The entire village must have been present. There were old people with canes, and even children younger than him.

He even saw one-hand Coat here. He was called one-handed for a reason but he was also a skilled hunter. Or used to be one back when he could use both arms.

Bo Lin scurried to the side and caught a glimpse at an old man with a long grey beard. He was wearing black robes and casually stroking his beard as he hovered above the ground. Bo Lin was amazed at this.

Next to the old man was a goddess. She put Elaine to shame in more than one way. Their looks should not even be compared to one another. It would be like comparing an ant to a star. They weren't even close to the same and should never be used in the same sentence.

Bo Lin quickly found himself a spot away from the others. He propped himself up on an empty cart and sat watching.

People were calling out to the immortal asking to be healed, asking to be blessed and many were shoving their children forward. Bo Lin spotted his father, his eyes were wide and full of lust as he observed the young goddess with full golden hair.

With a wave of him palm the elderly man caused the entire area to be filled with silence. Bo Lin could see peoples mouths moving, but no words came out.

"I am here to recruit talent individuals for my Fallen Sky sect. Those of you who are twenty and below step forward. If I find you talented enough you will be given a spot inside my sect." The old man's voice was clear as day. He was not speaking loud, in fact it seemed like a whisper but Bo Lin heard it.

In an instant people were shoved to the side taking twenty steps back as if an invisible force was pushing them. Bo Lin found that he was safe where he was at, and even saw Elaine and Burr were fine as well. However most people were a few paces away from them.

The elderly man motioned with his index finger and a young boy floated up and over towards the old man. He looked afraid to be flying and quickly searched around.

When the young boy stood in front of the elderly man, the old man reached his hand out to touch the boys head. Bo Lin saw a blue light emerge where he touched then fade away.

"Earth lifeline. Not bad." The old man commented before the boy floated to stand next to the goddess.

One by one more peopled floated over. Some older than Bo Lin some younger, but majority were filled out. Those that were accepted by the old man were placed next to or around the goddess. Those that weren't were places back into the crowd.

Bo Lin didn't know what a lifeline was, or why there were two different types. The first boy had an Earth one and the old man seemed happy at what he found. However the other eight people that were accepted all had one called Mortal. When the old man announced that he seemed less pleased.

Before he could figure it out Bo Lin found himself being flown over to the old man. He wasn't shocked or surprised, but he saw his father's expression. He could see a glimmer of hope in his father's eyes. Bo Lin felt a bit of pressure being placed on him.

If he was chosen to become an immortal his families status would soar to the heavens. Finding a marriage partner would be easy, and his family would have great authority over what went on within the village. Bo Lin prayed that the heavens were with him.

As he stood in front of the old man he felt like kneeling. Not because he wanted to, but because there ead this pressure weighing down on his soul. He could feel it, it was crushing. Bo Lin found it difficult to breath. So he didn't.

As the elderly man's hand touched his forehead Bo Lin felt something deep within him. It didn't hurt it was more like a touch. A foreign touch he never felt before.

The old man's hand was withdrawn and the feeling went away. He stroked his beard and looked at Bo Lin without saying anything. This was strange. From what he's seen so far the old man would call out if they had a lifeline or not. It never took this long.

He shook his head. "Ordinary lifeline, ordinary soulfire."

Soulfire? What was that? Bo Lin never heard him say that before, did it mean he was special? And what was ordinary? This was the first time the immortal said those words.

The elderly man seemed neither happy nor disappointed in Bo Lin. He just floated him to stand next to the others.

A little after Bo Lin was Burr, he had a Mortal lifeline just like the others. He seemed a bit disappointed but was still happy that he was picked. The last one to come over was Elaine.

She had an Earth lifeline just like the first boy which caused the elderly man to be content.

After that two more people managed to pass his test. There were a total of fifteen people that passed. The youngest seemed to he six years old while the oldest among them was already nineteen.

Bo Lin could see the grin on his fathers face. But, Bo Lin didn't feel happy.

"I see you are full of questions, shall I answer some?" Bo Lin heard a sweet voice in his head. He turned and saw the goddess giving him a smile. Bo Lins heart almost jumped out of his chest.

"Don't overreact. This is simply a mental conversation to not disturb the others. Say what you normally would but just say it in your mind and I'll hear it."

"Who are you?"

"I am Jade, and you are?"

"Bo Lin. May I ask why you are speaking to me?"

"You are the only one with soulfire, so I am curious about you. That is all."

"Soulfire? What is that?"

"It is similar to a lifeline, except it is your mental spirit. A lifeline is what we determine the talent of a person is, the higher the grade the easier it is for them to absorb the energy from the heavens. Soulfire makes it so a person can connect with spirit energy and is rare."

"What about the Mortal, Earth and Ordinary that the immortal called out? Those are grades right?" Bo Lin asked because he was truly curious.

"Yes. Mortal grade means you can cultivate without much holding you back, while Earth means you'll be able to learn twice as fast as someone with a Mortal grade lifeline. The higher grade your lifeline the easier time you'll have it when cultivating and reaching for immortality."

"And Ordinary?" Bo Lin asked as he noticed she said nothing about it. It scared him a little.

"It means there is nothing special about you. You'll find it twice as hard to cultivate as someone with a Mortal lifeline. A Mortal can become an immortal in a year or five. So think how long it will take you."

Bo Lin sighed. Then why was he picked? Was he destined to walk when others could fly?

"I know it is upsetting to hear, but you have soulfire. You'll have talents the others won't, so there's a chance to make up for the difference." Jade told him.

Bo Lin beamed at that. He did not know that Jade lied to him. Soulfire was rare and twice as hard to cultivate. The worst part, he couldn't even begin to cultivate it yet because he was too weak!

7