Chapter 17
186 5 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If there was another thing I missed from my old life was a damn cellphone. I had to sit next to Kishirra for what felt like hours, praying that her breaths wouldn’t get any thinner. If possible, her skin had gotten paler. Or rather, greyer, like whatever blood ran through her veins withdrew from her skin, leaving her usually-vibrant chocolate complexion looking more like the underside of an old and forgotten tree, left alone to rot in the middle of the forest.

Mom had come to lend me a hand, but she had left in a hurry when more pressing business had required her attention. She had stamped a kiss over my head and left me alone with a still-sweating Kishirra. I tended to her wounds and made sure to look away when I had to dab at her side, or on her chest.

“Seriously, how can someone be this effortlessly gorgeous…” I muttered, feeling the same heat coming off her body right against my cheeks. I felt like a mangled sprout next to a verdant tree. “It can’t be right.” I picked up a strand of her golden hair between my fingers.

“If anything she seems to be responding very well,” said my father’s voice from behind me.

“Eh!” I yelped, jumping on the spot. How much did he hear? “D-Dad! Don’t sneak up on me like that!”

“I didn’t,” he replied with a smirk. He was still covered in soot, more than usual. He held a slice of vegetable pie and a large pot of water in his hands. Was he going to have dinner here?

In fact, how long had I been here with Kishirra?

My stomach grumbled.

I just remember to get hungry.

“I tried to call you three times, but you were a little too focused on your friend here,” he chuckled, setting the pie on a towel right next to me. “Please eat something, or we will have two in our care.”

“What time is it now…?” I quickly covered Kishirra’s body and took a bite of the pie. It tasted salty and more delicious than I remembered. My stomach growled in appreciation.

“It’s the fifth hour by the afternoon,” he said pointing his finger up the sky. It was starting to get dark fast, and the planetary ring glowed a stark silver, so clear it almost looked white against the cobalt sky. He sat right next to me and nodded towards the sleeping Elf.

“How is your friend?”

“I have no idea,” I replied between bites. “I would expect that goddess of hers to help heal her wounds, if anything.”

“Ansàrra,” Dad corrected me. “I had to forge weapons for a whole company of Her Knights, once. You were five at the time, likely don’t remember it. I have seen the light in the eyes of those men and women, and this Elf shines even brighter. If Ansàrra does not help her, there might be something more serious going on than a fever.”

“But I think the heat is going down. That must mean something, right?”

“Elves are a made of stern stuff,” he shrugged. “She will make it, I’m sure.”

I clenched my free fist while I gobbled on the pie, maybe to fill the hole in my stomach Dad’s words had opened inside me. How could this goddess not help one of her believers?

He stopped, took a long breath, as if struggling with his own words once again. “You are quite fond of her. Aren’t you?”

“I…” I licked my lips, tasting the salty vegetables. Fondness wasn’t exactly how I felt about her…

“When your mother finally conceived, we almost went on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land,” he hushed, entwining his fingers as he looked at the golden pendant on Kishirra’s chest. “We had tried so hard for years, and we were definitely out of options. As far as we were concerned, Lugana, you were nothing short of a miracle.”

“D-Dad....” I blushed even harder. That must have been when I reincarnated in this world. It had never occurred to me before, but I could have just as well reincarnated into an orphan, or the daughter of a violent and uncaring couple. That I was reborn here spoke of good fortune.

Or perhaps something else. Perhaps she should ask Kishirra. She ought to know better.

“In the end we decided against it. We weren’t sure it was Ansàrra we had to thank for. What mattered was that you were with us.” He smacked his lips. “Even though one part of me is still a little bitter about not seeing you continuing my bloodline.”

“W-What? Dad, what are you…”

“Lu, please. The forge may turn me deaf, but daft, I’m not. It is clear that this Elf means a lot for you.” He rubbed his bearded face. “I still would have preferred a male one, but if that is how things will shape up… so be the will of the spirits. Or whatever is out there, really. I’m just a smith.”

“Do you really think I could- I mean, did you look at her? She’s an Elf, and she’s so beautiful and kind and brave, and I’m just… a drab girl.”

“The same drab girl she reached for time and time again – the same drab girl who is taking care of her wounds right now. I suppose that had to count for something.” People in this world did not wink, but I felt Dad’s sheepish grin was one. “I am not as good with this as your mother is. What I mean is that we are fine with the choices you make. We feel blessed by having you here with us every day, but we were a bit worried that you would not bloom into your own.”

“Because I wasn’t coming out of my room.” I folded the towel in two very neat triangles. It had not been easy. It wasn’t easy yet.

It probably never would.

“But you did. And if that means you have to rely on this lady Elf to do so, well so be it. Maybe this is Ansàrra’s punishment for not traveling to the Holy Land all those years ago, ha!” He clapped his hand in mirth. I stood up and rushed to give him a hug.

“Thanks. Thank you so much. Thank you for being my parents.”

“We were always glad to take care of you,” he replied, rubbing his hands on my back. “And we will always be. But now you likely have someone else to take care of.” He tilted his head towards Kishirra’s body. “I think she’s waking up.”


I think too few authors use parents in Isekai. I believe that the bonds and links to one's previous life and to the precious people in the new one open up many interesting possibilities. Thanks for reading! I will see you tomorrow!

Announcement
For those who would like to read more Elven handholding: Patreon - read ahead and find exclusive content! ➡️
20