Chapter 19
224 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Apologies for the missed update yesterday. I thought I had uploaded it but I made a mistake.

As the day came to an end, not every creature above and below the ground went to sleep. While Bùrian fell into easy slumber waiting for the lemon festival to come in a few scant days, and some of the farmers that surrounded the city knew now that there was a certain Elf who would try and protect their cattle, gaunt things kept gnawing at the roots of the earth.

If someone had put his ear to the ground, he might have heard a faint echo – a sound like thin metal hooks scraping away at the dirt.

And maybe, if he listened long enough, he might have heard some words as well.

The harvest is almost ripe, would say the smoky voice of a woman. The protector can shield everyone but herself. When the time comes, she will be ripe for the picking.

Then more scraping sounds, slowly coming closer and closer.

And closer still.

+++

You know what? I ended up believing ladders are overrated.

At another time, I would have asked to climb on Kishirra’s shoulders. But then I would probably be too shaken to help with the decorations in any way.

Baby steps.

I had yet to get used to this new Lugana who could even talk to people.

“Can you shift it a little bit to the right now?” I asked. From below, Kishirra set both hands on the ladder.

“Hold on, please.” She lifted the ladder, with me still on top, and set it one step to the right, where I could keep helping with the decoration, tying together more lemon branches and leaves, and more yellow ribbons.

Without breaking a sweat. She was made of iron.

“Thanks.” I tossed her an embarrassed smile. Even after waking up from her feverish slumber, she seemed to be right as rain. Her complexion was back to its rich chocolate tinge, even though her eyes were still a bit troubled.

I could understand why: we were in the middle of the main square, just a few feet away from the very spot where I had asked to buy milk some months before. Right where I had decided to give my life a shove into the right direction, and now Madama Kishirra of all people was holding the ladder propping me up.

Not bad as a first date.

The people of Bùrian kept stealing glances at the two of us. They did know me by now, but Kishirra was still a somewhat new face, especially now that she had shed her heavy clothing and stood tall and proud in her boots, trousers and blouse. In a first, she had even left her poleaxe at the workshop. Something about safe-keeping.

A few did recognize her though, and they did not shy away from the mysterious Elf. Which made me think I did not completely waste the last few weeks.

“Are you stable enough up there? I could make sure to hold you a little firmer.”

I wouldn’t mind being held a little firmer!

But perhaps it wasn’t the best thing to do right now. I still wanted to invite her to the celebration proper, and I wanted the people of Bùrian to accept Kishirra with the utmost ease.

Acting… close in public might not be the best choice. At least that was as far as I could say. Damn, if only I could understand how this worked a little better! You could hope that getting so much people experience through the last few months would make all this easier, but no!

At any rate, I wasn’t going to let this go. I wasn’t going to let Madama Kishirra go.

“I am almost finished up here anyway. And we are running out of ribbons, we should probably make some more together.”

She helped me get down, holding my arm with the strength of an old dependable oak and the grace of two snowflakes dancing together – her hand on my side felt so comforting. Like it belonged there.

Thanking the god of this world, or the goddess, or whoever, for not giving me pointed ears that would show my embarrassment even more, I pointed at the closest stand where the women were knotting ribbons together and making crowns of branches.

“Here, let’s focus on this for a while. Then we can go back home and I suppose you can eat with us. You are our best customer, after all.”

We took seat on two empty chairs on the left side of the circle of Bùrian women, each of them busy at work as they chattered between themselves. They greeted me with a nod and a smile and Kishirra with a nod and a frown.

She was an outsider, after all, and also I suspected that she was far too gorgeous to be welcomed with open arms. With her looks, strength and beauty, Kishirra stood out like a blonde nail.

I could only do so much.

“It gets easier,” I reassured her, taking seat and giving her a few stings of cloth to make ribbons out of.

“That is what they say,” she replied with a faint smile. “At least I supposed it does. I do not really remember much from the previous times.”

I looked around – the women were trying their darn best to drown our conversation with their chatter.

“You can tell me about it. Maybe tomorrow. I wanted to go out and see if I can find some plants on the hills behind Bùrian.”

“The hills are dangerous,” she warned me tilting her head. The flash of concern in her eyes stroke right through my heart.

“I did not plan on going alone.” I bit my lip as I tried to make a ribbon out of the strap of cloth and made something resembling a mess. Meanwhile, Kishirra has completed three of her own already. Her slender fingers work with such confidence and finesse.

“That would be wise. Were you planning to recruit a guide, then? I would be most worried if you were to go out on your own.”

“I did say you were our best customer, but this might be a good way to fulfil your balance,” I joked, elbowing her.

“Oh.” She glanced at the spot where I hit her arm. “Was that some sort of gesture I am not privy to?”

“Sorry! Sometimes I still get… well, you know. It’s better to talk about it tomorrow.”

“I am far from in top shape. And I do not feel like I can ask for any favour to my Lady in this state. But I would gladly join you and keep you safe as you look for the right flowers.”

“It’s a date, then,” I whispered, excited.

“Tomorrow? Yes. The fifth of advent of the sixth circle,” she said, pointing her finger to the planetary ring.

“No, it’s… nevermind. You will get it.”

I hope she would.


Well, damn. Sounds like a daaaaate! Also, I am extremely proud of that pun. It's my favourite pun in the whole story, period. And as always, thanks for reading. Welcome to a new week of updates! Please leave a review if you are liking the story!

Announcement
Find out more about Elven puns at: Patreon - read ahead and find exclusive content! ➡️
14