Chapter 30 – Finale
167 10 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mom was making a valiant effort, but I could see through it.

“And remember to write,” she said holding my hands in hers, her eyes inkling with tears even in the silver glow of the night. “Write me every six days or I swear that I will come to Madua myself and I will-”

“No need to finish that though,” Dad interjected, hugging us both. “You be a good girl, will you? Take care, and do not wait too long before coming back.”

“It’s just for a few months,” I promised, trying to speak clearly through Dad’s bear hug. “We will be back before next summer, I swear.”

“With your book,” Dad reminded me. “I am eager to read it.”

“Yes, and I will make sure you have the best paper for it, and the best copying masters for hand-writing!” Mom assured me through her tears, now spilling all over her face. “Everything will be ready.”

“Mom, I don’t doubt it! But we really must go, or they might catch us!”

She let go. Kishirra waited patiently on the sidelines, her weapon strapped to her back. She wore her brigandine. We had repaired it the best we could, but it still missed most of its plates. She was confident we would not need them, though.

My parents walked the last few steps separating me from the Elf, and with one final hug, they said goodbye.

“You take good care of her,” Dad said looking Kishirra in the eye. Even by night, it was easy to see her cheeks darken a little.

“To the best of my abilities. And a little further, whenever I can.”

“Good answer,” he nodded. “Ouch,” he excused himself, rubbing at his eyes. “More of that furnace soot, apologies…”

“Stay safe, and stay on the road, and… oh, Lugana!” Mom hugged me one last time. “I am so proud of you. I was so worried and now… oh, look at you. So proud.” She kissed my forehead and, batting her eyelids like crazy, stepped back.

“We will be back soon,” I reassured them. I felt pinpricks in my eyes as well. “Sooner than you think.”

“It would be a great honour to greet you two in the Holy Land,” Kishirra assured them as I reached her. “Please do consider that.”

“Maybe in a few years,” Dad said. “Still have a business to run.”

“But we will consider it,” Mom assured, entwining her fingers with his.

“I will write! Heeeave-ho!” I said as I put my backpack on. “We are going to take frequent breaks, right?”

“Whenever we can,” Kishirra reassured me, running her fingers through my hair.

“Expect my first letter when we reach Candéa. You two be safe as well!” I waved at them. I felt like running back, hugging them again – but it was time to go.

Time to make another first step.

Kishirra and I left, climbing uphill as the night spread on. I kept turning and waving at my parents – Mom held up her hand as if to reach to me until the first road curve hid them from sight.

As it did, I glanced at Kishirra.

“That’s it then.”

“That is the start,” she replied with a smile, reaching out to hold my hand.


What an incredible feeling. I thought I would never write and publish a complete webnovel, and yet here we are! Thank you so much for reading, a big shotout to my patreons Lolop12 and NeutralQuartz (Shield tier) and asuka (Sword tier) for supporting me so far.

Thank you so much for reading, leaving a like and so many perfect ratings! Now that the story is over I would love to hear your thoughts about it, so please leave a review!

I really liked working on this story, and yet I have been writing the new one for almost one month now! The Last Dungeon Dive will be set in the same world, but much later in the timeline, in a different area and with new amazing characters. Among them: a sorcerous girl armed with a pair of sickles and the power of liquid darkness, a righteous Paladin on a search for long-lost Saint Kishirra and our new protagonist, a young man summoned to this world through a gruesome ritual who can control his own blood... and of course, how to forget the dungeon itself? If you are fans of Made in Abyss and Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon) like me I am sure you will love it

It has been such a privilege to accompany you through this story. I hope you will like the next one even more. It's surely going to be much longer...

Announcement

On ➡️ Patreon you can already find exclusive chapters for supporters! And all sort of time-limited benefits tied to this story which will disappear with the next webnovel,  so if you'd like your very own signed, illustrated herbarium, go get it now!

12