Now I’m Chinese?
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 36

Now I’m Chinese?

 

Ma Jihong.  Don’t ask me how I remembered her name.  I hadn’t seen her in over a year.  I was in the kitchen doing dishes when I heard a knock at my door.  And there she was.  The city official from Yangzhou.  Probably a party official.  I didn’t know.  Just a guess.  Standing with her was a woman who looked Communist Party all the way.  A bit older than Ma, a bit bigger, and stern.  You looked at her and knew she only did important things, things that needed her complete attention.  She stared at me like I was the current problem she had been sent to resolve.

I stood, a dish towel in my hands, a house dress draping my body, and my hair, well, Jiks had made a mess of it, not that I was complaining.  I liked what he did, but I hadn’t pulled a comb through my hair (partly because I liked the feeling of being mussed up by my husband).  So, two important women at my door, me looking pretty dowdy. 

I invited them in and sat them in our living room while I ran off to make tea (and to work on my hair).  Ten minutes later I was back with a tray and served them. 

“Thank you for visiting me.  I am grateful you asked me to make that tourism video of Yangzhou.  It has led to many opportunities for me.”

I sat with teacup and saucer balanced on my knees, my back straight and knees together.  Formal.  They had taken similar positions.  There will come a time when most women will lean back a bit, cross their legs, and relax.  Not these two.  Their feet remained rooted to the floor the entire visit.

“I am pleased things have worked out so well for you.” 

Ma looked around the room, showing appreciation for the décor and the many expensive items on display.  Yes, I had moved in with a rich man.  I let her look.  And waited.

“You are now famous throughout China.  I am pleased to tell people we are old friends.”

“I also mention you when I speak of Yangzhou.”

Actually, I never spoke of Yangzhou.  Why would I?  The place where I was promised marriage and then dumped?  Not the first topic of conversation I generally had when meeting people.  But.  It was at this point I realized we were speaking Chinese.  Ma knew excellent English, and we had spoken in that language during our meetings in Yangzhou.  Hmm.  Did the other woman not know English? 

I looked at the woman and wondered.  Ma noticed.

“It is time for me to introduce my companion.  This is Ye Yang.  She is a senior member of the Culture Ministry.  She is here to present you with a great honor.”

Now I was confused.  Was I supposed to stand and accept something?  But I saw nothing in the woman’s hands.  So I sat and waited.

“You have acted in many films.”

Beijing accent.  I could tell immediately.  People from the south claim listening to Beijing people is like listening to dogs talk.  And there is some truth to that.  Longer vowels, and a bit of a bark.  I knew better than to smile.

“And we have noticed you have now begun writing for film.”

“I just made a few suggestions.”

There was a brief flare of annoyance from the woman.  I had interrupted what was apparently a prepared speech.

“We have seen the original script for your most recent film, and the script that resulted from your suggestions.  The changes you made were not minor.  The film took a completely different direction.  And it seems to be a popular direction given ticket sales.  You are to be congratulated.”

I waited a moment.  Was this where I was allowed to respond?  Finally I did.

“I wanted a happy ending.  I think women generally prefer happy endings.  We face obstacles in our lives.  We want to believe we will ultimately find love.”

“Including the love between a young American woman and an older Chinese man.”

Were we still talking about the movie, or about Jiks?

“I believe any intelligent woman will accept and enjoy love wherever she finds it.”

No reply, just a satisfied smile as she sipped her tea.  Still no award.  I waited.

“We like your attitude, and your skill.  The Culture Ministry has formed a group of leading Chinese writers.  We call them the Writing Academy.  They meet, they talk, they inspire each other, and they advise the government on cultural matters.  We think you could be a valuable member of that Academy.”

Not sure how I was supposed to act.  So my award was membership in some group?  Might be interesting.  Might just be a colossal bore.

“I am grateful for the opportunity, but I fear I am too young and inexperienced to join such a prestigious group.”

“Yes, you are young.  But that is good.  Too many are old, and too many are men.  A young woman brings a special experience and perspective.”

“I see.”

I didn’t really.  I had made suggestions on one film and now I was to join some national writer’s group?  This wasn’t adding up for me.

“You will find membership will open many doors for you.”

“Yes, I am sure that would be true.”

“We ask one important act on your part.  I told you the Academy is for Chinese writers.  We ask that you apply for Chinese citizenship.”

I almost dropped my teacup.  What the hell?  Yes, I had Chinese residency, and yes, I was fucking a Chinese man and hoping to raise Chinese babies, but become a Chinese citizen?  That seemed a reach too far.  I could think of no reply.

At this point the Beijing lady handed some papers to Ma and left my apartment.

“Ma Jihong will provide you with the details.”

She left, and Ma leaned forward.  Time for some details.

“This is a great honor, Mary.  You will accept.”

She paused there.  I guess she wanted me to hear the emphasis in her statement. “You will accept.”  Hmm.

“Your country allows dual citizenship.  You will still be American – if you choose.  But you will also be Chinese.  Legally.  You will carry an ID card that declares you to be a citizen.”

“Will it still restrict where I can travel?”

I didn’t want a fight with this woman, but I didn’t like being pressured.  She let me simmer for a minute before she responded. 

“You will sign the citizenship papers and accept membership in the Academy.  It is a great honor.  And, there will be consequences should you refuse.  You have an illegal bank account across the river.  Much could be made of that.  Much could be made of your actions at Yangtse Motors.  You understand.”

I never liked that woman.  I liked her less now.  Not that my feelings mattered.  She stared and waited.  I wondered if she was an owl, and I was a mouse.  I didn’t want to be a mouse.  I certainly didn’t like her staring.

“I should discuss this with Chen Jike.”

“Spoken like a good wife.  But know this.  Your illegal account has funds from his studio as well as from Yangtse Motors.  An investigation would involve him.  There would be consequences for him.  Do you wish that?”

“No.”

I guess I was the mouse after all.  She handed me several packets of paper.  An X marked every spot needing my signature.  Citizenship first.  I noticed almost all the blanks were already filled in.  Age, residency information, employment and a dozen other matters.  I signed, turned to another page, signed, turned, signed.  The other forms involved membership in the Academy and my compensation for my work with them.  My compensation would be paid directly into the bank account they were threatening me over.  Clever of them. 

I signed by every X and returned the papers to Ma.

“In ten days you will receive a new ID card and a Chinese passport.  Make no attempt to use the passport.  You have a job here, an apartment, and a man.  You will stay here.  You will become more famous.”

She stood.  I walked her to the door.  I wanted to say, “yes, and I will become more useful.”  But why state the obvious?  They wanted things from me.  In time I would find out what chores awaited me.  Chores I would resist – if I could.

0