Chapter 19
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     It took David about a week and even a few more sessions inside the medical pod to fully recover from the effects of the atomic blast. He had some mild radiation poisoning but the medical pod had no issue taking care of that as David couldn't remember the last time he felt that healthy when his sessions were all finished. Even the knee that he broke in high school wrestling match felt a million times better, and he was in better shape than he could remember too. Since his hummer had been blown to smithereens, Jerry drove up to the old house when David was feeling better to give him a ride back to his own place. The least the boss could do considering that they had saved each other's lives a few weeks prior. The first part of the ride was quiet, but Jerry eventually broke the ice.

     "I did some research and I found your Ferguson fellow," Jerry started, "His foundation was completely private with no connection to any government agencies. He was also dying of cancer, which would explain why their recent efforts were ramped up. He was getting desperate to find out anything he could about your Portal."

     "That does explains a lot," David said, "He had no time left."

     "Speaking of time," Jerry replied, "Have you done anything cool with the Portal lately?"

     "Not yet," David asked, "I've pretty much been grounded. The last two times I went in there I got myself killed. Gail insisted that I do more training before I get another chance to time travel."

     "Seems fair," Jerry conceded, "You did almost get yourself killed."

     "Yeah, I'm not fighting it." David agreed, "She'll let me back in the cave eventually. I'm not in a hurry to get back. I'm actually more interesting in getting back to the office. I don't think I have any vacation time left anymore, do I?"

     "I think you've burned it all up," his boss conceded, "But it's not like you need it anymore. You can take a whole weekend off anytime you want now and only lose two hours in the process. You could beam yourself to the Bahamas, or even Cuba and not even have to fly there. Just beam in and out within forty eight hours. Save a bundle in travel costs."

     "I never really thought of it that way," David said, "Good tip."

     "Have you thought of some of the places you'd like to go?" Jerry asked curious to see what was going through David's mind.

     "I had a few ideas," David honestly replied, "I was thinking of going to see Joplin and Hendrix at Woodstock."

     "Nice," Jerry said, nodding to the idea. "What about the Alamo, the Gettysburg address, or some other big event that happened in our history?"

     "I had considered it," David confessed, "But I don't think I'm going to try stuff like that until I've studied up and do my homework first. The last thing I want to do is give Gail another reason to kick my ass."

     "Fair enough," Jerry said as he pulled his car up to a building and parked.

     "Where the hell are we?" David asked, as he didn't recognize the building.

     Jerry paused for a moment, "This is your building; you live here."

     "I do?" David said as he stepped out of the car. "I don't remember."

     "Oh damn," Jerry said, smiling. "I finally know something that you don't."

     "Excuse me?" David asked.

     "I had a feeling that you wouldn't have noticed the changes since you were cooped up at the house all this time." Jerry said, smiling. "I wouldn't have noticed the changes myself if he didn't tell me about them."

     "If who didn't tell you?" David repeated.

     "And spoil the surprise?" Jerry said, as he grabbed David's bag out of the back seat, "I don't think so."

     David and Jerry took the elevator up to the tenth floor of the building, and everything here still didn't look familiar to him. They walked up to the door, the third condo on the tenth floor, and Jerry stopped and put a hand on his shoulder.

     "Nothing yet?" his boss asked.

     David was about to say something, but then that migraine he had suddenly came to him and his mind became foggy. Jerry reached out and grabbed David to make sure David didn't fall over. Once the moment had passed, David took the keys from his boss and opened the door. A flood of new memories had written themselves into his mind and now he remembered everything that Jerry was talking about. As he walked into the Condo, the man in the living room waiting on the other side was a lot older than he remembered him, but it was still him. Old Harv, alive and well.

     "There he is!" Harv said, with a smile on his face. "Welcome back roomie!"

     "How old are you?" David said as he tried to do the math in his head.

     "Eighty-three and change," his grandfather said as he walked over and gave his grandson a big hug. "You have no idea how many brussel sprouts and salads I had to eat to make it here."

     "I believe you," David said as he looked around, "This is our place?"

     "It sure is," Harv said, "Your Dad and I were always like oil and water so I gave him the house and lived downtown ever since. You should remember the rest from there."

     "How do I still remember how things were before?" David asked, confused by what was going on. "How come the new memories are not being written over the old ones? I still remember them both."

     "That's the portal's doing," Harv said, "They make us keep everything so that it lessens our chances of messing things up."

     "Fair enough," David said, "So what's for dinner?"

     "Nothing," the old man replied, "We're going out. Thanks for bringing him by Jerry; I'll see you at the tavern on Wednesday."

     "No problem Harv," Jerry said, "See you guys around."

     "Of course you're good friends with my boss," David said, looking back at his grandfather, "I'm still a Marshal, right?"

     "Of course," Harv answered, "I would have never let that change. That job is your calling; the portal is just going to be a hobby for you, like it was for your father."

     "Is Dad here too?" David asked, trying to remember but he could not recall any new memories.

     "I'm afraid not, kid." Harv answered, "Ricky and I tried to convince him to take the same cheat I did, but he refused. He died around the same time you remembered before this all started. I'm sorry."

     "So where are we going for dinner?" David asked.

     "And spoil the surprise?" Harv said, grinning. "I don't fucking think so."

     David followed Harv back down to the parking lot under the building. Harv was carrying a few bags of wrapped presents. Harv tossed his bags into the back of his old car, which that still looked as awesome as the first time David saw it on his parent's wedding day.

     "Let's get going," Harv said, "I don't want to be late."

     "A little late for the holidays?" David asked.

     "If you hadn't almost turned into a piece of fried chicken in Hiroshima," Harv reminded him, "I would slap you where you stand. Now get in the car. No questions, just do it."

     "Yes, Sir." David said, as he got into the passenger's side and buckled up.

     Harv pulled the car out of the building and hit the road, as it took him on a few minutes to hit the highway and then he sped up as they were making up for time. David was doing his best to not ask about where they were going again so he decided to change the subject.

     "You're looking great," David complimented, "I assume the medical pod is why you aren't looking a day over seventy-five?"

     "That and a strict diet," Harv said, not taking his eyes of the road. "I also keep in shape at the gym in the building."

     "Do you still use the portal?" David asked.

     "Not as much as I used to." Harv confessed, "But I mange to make a few trips every month."

     "That's cool," David said, "We'll have to take a few trips together. Hit a beach and just veg for a while."

     "Sounds good to me," Harv said, finally take the car off the highway.

     David watched as he drove around a few suburb areas and then finally came to stop right in front of a nice looking house. It had a white picket fence and a few nice cars in the parking lot.

     "Hop out," the old man said as he popped the trunk. "Grab a few bags."

     "Where the hell are we?" David asked, but he suddenly remembered and a wave of panic hit his face. "No, we can't be here."

     "We are here," Harv informed him, "Now get out of the car."

     "I haven't seen him in since he was three." David said, "He probably doesn't remember me."

     "It doesn't matter," Harv said, looking at David through the side window. "This is your kid, so nut up."

     "I don't know," David said, "They're doing fine without me."

     "It doesn't matter," Harv explained, "This kid is a key. We have to watch out for him so people like Ferguson don't try to use him to access the Portal."

     "So I've got no choice here?" David asked.

     "None what so ever," Harv confirmed, taking presents out of the back trunk of the car. "Pretty please with sugar on top, get the fuck out of my car or I'll drag your sorry hide to the door kicking and screaming if I have to."

     David got out of the car and grabbed a few bags from Harv and while he first thought they were Christmas bags, they actually said happy birthday on them. He walked up to the door behind Harv, who hit the door bell and then hid behind David, which confused him a bit. When the door opened, there was the sound of a lot of kids running around, as it seemed clear to David that someone was having a birthday party which explained the bags Harv gave him. But that was nothing compared to the shock on the face of the young woman standing before him. She was David's ex-fiancé that he had told Gail about. Her name was Stephanie, but David had always called her Stephie. She was standing at the door, with a look of absolute shock.

     "David," Stephie finally said.

     "Hey Stephie," David finally said, "How are you?"

     "I'm fine," Stephie replied, "What are you doing here?"

     "What are we doing here?" Harv said as he came out from behind his grandson. "We're here for the party!"

     "I'm sorry," Stephie said, surprised by the old man. "Who are you?"

     "This is Harv," David answered for her, "He's my grandfather."

     "Oh," Stephie said, "That means..."

     "That's means we're family dear." Harv said as he extended a hand and shook hers. "Where's the birthday boy?"

     "Is he serious?" Stephie asked David.

     "I'm afraid so," David said, "He'll behave. He just wants to see Hunter."

     "We're not here to cause trouble," Harv concurred, "We'll eat some cake, hand out some presents and bugger off."

     "I don't know," Stephie said, looking insecure. "He doesn't even know who David is."

     "I know it's been a while," David confessed, "Maybe this isn't such a good idea."

     "Hogwash," Harv said, "We can keep secrets; we've had practice."

     Before anyone could say anything, a young ten year old boy walked up to the door and stood beside his mother. The new arrival to the door was the spitting image of his father and it didn't' take long to realize who he was.

     "Hello," Hunter said with a warm smile, "Are those for me?"

     "Yes they are!" Harv said with a wide smile, as he handed one of the bags over to him. "My name's Harv, and I am your great grandfather... but you can call me Great Poppy!"

     "Wow!" Hunter said, "You're really old!"

     "I sure am," Harv agreed, "And you can be too if you eat all your Brussel sprouts!"

     "And who are you?" Hunter asked, looking at David.

     "This is David," Harv said, aware that both David and Stephie had no idea how to respond. "He's my grandson, which makes him your uncle!"

     "Wow!" Hunter said, "Hello, Uncle David!"

     "Hello Hunter," David said to his son, holding up one of the bags that Harv had given him, "Happy birthday."

     He took the bag from him and ran into the house to put it with the other gifts that the other guests had brought over.

     "Thank you," Stephie said.

     "Like I said," David replied, "We're not here to cause trouble."

     "Okay," Stephie said, "I guess you can come in."

     David and Harv walked into the house. And another man David's age walked up, and he knew immediately who it was. Stephie had married him three years after they broke up, and David wasn't upset about it because he was a good man that treated everyone well.

     "Who are these people?" The man asked.

     "Eric," Stephie said, "This is David Jones."

     "The David Jones?" Eric said, "And you're here why?"

     "Because my grandfather wanted to be here," David answered, "This is Harv. Harv, this is Eric. Hunter's father."

     "Pleased to meet you," Harv said, shaking his hand.

     "Hey Great Poppy," Hunter said as he came back, "Want to see my hamster?"

     "You bet I do!" Harv replied, as he passed a box he was carrying over to David. "Here, don't drop this."

     "How about you, Uncle David?" Hunter asked.

     "You go guys ahead," David replied, "I'll catch up."

     Eric looked at David after Harv and the boy ran off to check out the hamsters. "Uncle David?"

     "It was his idea," David said, referring to his grandfather. "We won't be here long, the old man just wanted to meet and hang out with his great grandchild."

     "And what about you?" Stephie asked him.

     "I wanted to see him," David confessed, "But not at the expense of the home you guys worked so hard to build here."

     "I appreciate that," Eric admitted, "Stability is needed for a healthy upbringing."

     "I agree," David said, "Not going to make waves. I promise."

     "What's that?" Stephie said, pointing to the box that Harv had passed to David before running off with Hunter.

     "Oh this," David said, as he handed it over to her. "It's for you guys. Harv wanted to get something for you as well."

     Eric helped her pull the gift out of its box, and it was an impressive vase. The gift left the two of them stunned beyond words.

     Eric looked back at David. "This is amazing,"

     "What is it?" Stephie asked.

     "It looks like a vase from the Ming dynasty," Eric said, "But there's no way this can be real."

     "Why not?" Stephie asked.

     "Ming vases are worth millions," Eric answered, "It's got to be a replica."

     "It's a replica," David lied, "But a very expensive replica. You might want to find a safe place and keep the kids away from it."

     "Thank you," Stephie said, "Do you want a beer?"

     "Orange juice if you have it," David replied, "Thank you."

     "Sure you don't want some Vodka with that?" Eric asked.

     "I like the way you think," David admitted, "But not today."

     "Fair enough," Eric said as he closed the door behind David. "Everyone just finished eating supper and we were just about to do presents and cake. You guys got here just in time."

     "I get told that a lot,"David said, following Eric into the living room.

0