Chapter 9
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Just to hear that name caused David's heart to skip a beat. It had never occurred to him that they might be there to see the Brooklyn Dodgers. David's family had been big followers of the national pastime for as long as he could remember. The thought of visiting an old ballpark that no longer existed in his time would be mind blowing for any fan of the game.

     "What's so special about this date?" David asked, as he couldn't remember. "Why did you want me to be here with you?"

     "And spoil the surprise?" Ricky replied, "Let's get some tickets and I'll show you when we get there."

     Ricky hailed a cab, and it took them only a short time to get the ballpark and when they got out, Ricky had no trouble buying two tickets to catch the game. Once they were in the ballpark, David was beside himself in awe. He had read a lot of articles about the ballpark but he was never able to see it with his own eyes as it had been demolished in nineteen sixty, long before he was even born. He had read about how short the wall was in left, but to actually see it was amazing. The right field cover was over fifty feet shorter than the corner in left, dimensions that he rarely saw in his time's modern ballparks. The architecture had more to do with the space the ball park hard to work with rather than trying to look fancy. And the dirt behind home plate was just infinite, going almost to the backstop. The seats Ricky had bought were on the first base line, about twenty rows back. Their spot in the field was about ten feet past first base so they were on the right field side. David had took in the view and then looked back to his brother.

     "This is amazing," David said, smiling at his brother. "Why couldn't we get closer to the field?"

     "We can't get too close," Ricky replied, "We don't want to accidentally photo bomb a historic picture. We have to hang back."

     "Fair enough," David said, "Is your first time being here too?"

     "Oh no," Ricky said, laughing. "I've seen at least a dozen games here. I've saw half of them with Dad, which is why he told me to bring you here. Do you remember hearing Dad tell me to take you to a game?"

     "I do remember," David said, as he did recall the old man saying that. "So what makes this date so special?"

     "Because of him," Ricky said, as he pointed to someone on the field.

     David turned around and realized who his brother was pointing to almost immediately. Since the guy on the field was the only black man standing out there, he stuck out like a sore thumb. David's jaw gaped open when he finally realized who he was looking at.

     "Holy shit!" David called out, "That's Jackie Robinson!"

     "Yes it is," Ricky said, "And watch your language. There are kids here and they'll kick you out for something like that."

     "Okay, I'm sorry..." David said, toning down to a whisper. He stood there in awe and watched Robinson take some warm up grounders at first, getting ready for the game. David thought about it for a moment and then smiled when he finally realized the significance of the date Ricky picked.

     "This is his first game, isn't it?" David asked.

     "Yes," Ricky confirmed, as he was just as excited. "Yes it is."

     "This is awesome," David said, as he was really excited.

     "Listen carefully," Ricky said, whispering to his brother. "Regardless of what happens, don't respond too loudly. Just let history play out like it did before. We're here to watch the game, not interfere in how it played out."

     "Who are they playing today?" David asked.

     "The Boston Braves," a man in sitting behind them answered, "Didn't you get a program so you can keep score?"

     "Not yet," David said looking back at his brother. "I think we're going to need some programs, bro. I'll also have a coke, as well as some peanuts and cracker jacks."

     "Alright," Ricky replied, thankful he brought some extra currency with him. "Stay here and try not to chat it up too much, I know how you can get."

     "I'll try." David said, doing his best to sound sincere, "Now please get me some cracker jacks."

     Ricky smiled, "Alright. I'm going to get one for me too. Is that okay?"

     "Of course," David replied, "but I suggest you hurry, because this game is going to start sooner than later."

     Ricky took off to head for the concession stands, and David chose to sit down and rest his legs, already aware that he's going to get back to his feet when the game got started.

     "You're a little bossy with the guy," the man in the row behind him commented.

     "He's my brother," David replied, "He's used to it."

     "It's normal to treat family like that?" the man asked.

     "It's not meant to insult him," David explained, "We have a mutual respect that allows talk like that and not take it personally."

     "Okay," the man said, "Just seems weird to me."

     "I'm sure," David said, "but we're here to enjoy the game together, get away from work. This is going to be great!"

     "I concur," the man said, smiling. "It's a great day for a game, isn't it?"

     "Yes, it is." David said, looking around at the clear sky and all the people coming in to see the game.

     Ricky returned a few moments later with a few cokes, a bag of peanuts, a few bags of cracker jacks and even two programs.

     "Let me help you," David said, taking a few items to ease his burden. "Thanks!"

     "No problem," Ricky said, finally able to take his seat. He was just in time as the game was about to start.

     David opened the program, and looked at the blank page where you were supposed to fill in the information about what happened that day.

     "You've never filled out a scorecard before, have you?" the man behind them asked.

     "It's been a while," David admitted.

     "Here you go," The man said as he passed him a pencil. "I'll help you out. You'll get the hang of it."

     "Thanks," David said, as he took the pencil.

     Right after the anthem was play, the Dodgers took the field and everyone cheered as the home team took to the field. The crowd even gave a light cheer as Robinson made the game's first put out as he took a good throw to first from Spider Jorgensen, who was also a rookie that year.

     "Good throw!" David called out, clapping and cheering.

     "Not bad," Ricky agreed, "For a guy used to playing second."

     "Mark that six-three, and put a one in the corner to indicate first out." The man said as he was also filing out his scorecard.

     "Thank you," David said, as he did the same. "Cracker Jack?"

     "I'm good," The man replied, "But thank you."

     David got very excited when Jackie came to the plate in the bottom half on the inning. David was loud and cheered when he came to the plate and tried his best to be supportive. Jackie hit a ground ball to third, and while it appeared that he beat the throw to first with his great speed, the umpire still called him out, much to the disappointment of the fans watching.

     "Oh come on!" David cried out, "He was safe! Get some glasses, ump!"

     The umpire had heard David as he turned to look in his direction, and it was evident to everyone watching that the he was already wearing glasses.

     "Get a new prescription!" David then called out.

     "Hey," Ricky said, as he looked a little worried, "Let's not get out of hand. Score the card and try to keep the heckling of umpires to a minimum."

     "Hey, that's my favorite part!" David protested.

     "Not today," Ricky replied, "Low profile, remember?"

     "Okay," David said, looking back to the man behind him. "That was a six-three again with a two this time, right?"

     "That's correct," the man said, "You're catching on."

     After flying out to left in the third inning, David and Ricky were sure that Jackie has his first big league hit in the fifth. It wasn't meant to be that inning as Boston's shortstop, Culler, made an outstanding play that turned two. When Jackie came up in the seventh, the fans were more concerned with the team scoring some runs as the Dodgers were still trailing. The guy batting in front of Robinson, second baseman Eddie Stanky, had drawn a walk. With none out, it was a clear sacrifice situation since the Dodgers were only down on a single run.

     "Are they going to bunt?" the man behind them asked.

     "That's what I'd do," David said, "Play for the tie."

     The other team was suspecting the same as infielders were drawn in to play for the bunt, and Robinson didn't disappoint as he laid a beauty right up the first base line. Jackie has already been tossed out by the third basemen so he chose to test the catcher, forcing him to make a hurried throw because of his blazing speed. The tactic worked as the ball went off course and it ended up hitting Jackie in the back as he ran up the line to first. This was a good thing as the ball ricocheted off his back into the right field fowl area, which allowed Stanky move onto third while Robinson ran up to second off the throwing error. The fans cheered and did so again when both men came into score what would be tying and winning runs that inning. Two innings later the game was over and the fans left happy campers as the Dodgers had won the game by a score of five to three.

     "What a game!" David said, filling out the last part of his scorecard.

     "That was pretty cool," Ricky agreed, "History in the making."

     "Not a good start," The man behind them observed, "Oh for three."

     "He did score the winning run," David reminded him, "I'll take it."

     "Let's get out of here," Ricky said, "Was nice to meet you, sir."

     "Likewise," the man said, tipping his hat. "Maybe I'll see you again."

     "Not likely," Ricky replied, "but take care."

     "Hey," David said, "No need to be pushy."

     "A lesson you haven't learned yet," Ricky said, as he pushed David into the crowd that was filing for the doors. "The best way for us to move undetected is to blend in with a crowd. Never be the first to arrive nor the last to leave. That's the best way to stick out and we don't want that."

     Once they were out of the stadium, Ricky flagged down another cab and gave the driver a specific address. Once in the back seat, David was still looking at all the buildings and people walking around.

     "Where are we going now?" David asked.

     "Hotel," Ricky answered, "There's a nice place I like to use that doesn't ask questions or requires us to give details or ID. We'll crash there tonight, get something good to eat. Then maybe hit a few nice joints for some drinks if you're up for it."

     "Hell yes," David concurred, "After what we've seen over the last few days, I could really use a drink or twelve."

     "That's good," Ricky said as he sat back and relaxed, "Remember, we still have nearly two days to kill."

     "Damn," David said, thinking about it. "This is all going to take some getting used to. Now I really do need that drink."

     "I think after what you've been through," Ricky agreed, "You earned it."

     "Thanks," David replied, thinking about it. "So we'll grab a room, maybe get out of these clothes?"

     "Don't bother," Ricky said, "What we have is fine. It's nice enough to let us go out for a nice dinner, so we can celebrate that amazing game."

     "That was amazing," David continued, "One of the best games I had ever seen, and such a pivotal point in history. Thanks for saving that one for me."

     "You're welcome," Ricky replied, "Can't let Dad have all the fun."

     "I don't care what I used to be," David declared, "As of this night, I'm a Dodgers fan for life!"

     "Well, that was unexpected." Ricky said, laughing.

     "Can we see another game?" David asked.

     "There isn't a game tomorrow," Ricky answered, "Let's go get something to eat and we'll talk about it more when we have some privacy. Just relax, brother. We'll do something cool tomorrow."

     David decided to take his brother's advice, for the last thing he wanted was the cabbie to hear something he shouldn't. He liked to talk a lot, as the gift of gab did help when interrogating someone, but in the past loose lips could literally sink ships so it was best to wait and talk later. He actually looked forward to the night as they were on the town and had time to kill.

0