Chapter 13
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     After a great weekend with Harv, David returned to the cave and walked out from it feeling a lot better than he had the first time he went in there. There was no sickness and no dizzy spells, which led him to believe that his trip had caused minimal change in the timeline. As he emerged from the cave, Ricky was there waiting for him with a bottle of orange juice.

     "Thanks," David said as he opened the bottle and took a swig. "Did I cause any grand paradoxes?"

     "Not that I'm aware of." Ricky replied, "But then again, only the traveler can tell the difference when they get back."

     "Well everything looks the same here," David said looking at the house.

     "So where did you go?" Ricky asked, curious.

     "I went really safe," David confessed, "I stayed here on the grounds."

     "How far back did you go?" Ricky inquired.

     "To nineteen seventy-one," David replied, "May 21st to be precise."

     "Interesting," Ricky said, thinking about it. "Mom and Dad's wedding?"

     "Yeah," David confirmed, taking another swig, "And why didn't anyone tell us how awesome Grandpa was? Harv is the man!"

     "Shit," Ricky said, "You two probably got along very well."

     "We went to the range," David told him, "Shot some clay pigeons."

     "Not surprising," Ricky said, shaking his head.

     "There may have been some changes," David continued, "Especially considering grandpa's will. I wouldn't be surprised if he left all the cool stuff to his favorite Grandchild."

     David stood there as new memories came to him, but it was just a mild rush like one would feel after jumping into a pool of cold water. After the initial shock, David quickly recovered.

     "Yup," David said, as he now remembered. "I got all the cool stuff."

     "Good for you," Ricky said, laughing. "As long as Dad still got the house, nothing else mattered."

     "I figured as much," David said as he started to walk back to the house with his brother. "Listen man, we need to talk about something."

     "What's up?" Ricky asked.

     For the next few hours, David went into detail with regards to the Foundation and the few encounters he and Harv had with them. He also included the meeting with the man in charge, Ferguson. Since Harv let it slip about the key, it was evident that the men that attacked Ricky was working for this foundation and that they were getting closer. Ricky sat there and said nothing as David told him everything that he managed to find out about this group that was apparently trying to find out how their family could travel back in time. It was also clear that Ferguson wanted to be able to time travel as well and didn't take the reality that not everyone could use the Portal.

     "He's not the first one to look for it," Ricky told him, "And chances are he's not going to be the last."

     "I'm surprised they haven't shown up at our front door." David honestly replied, "But there's a good chance they backed away because Harv and I stood up to them."

     "I'm sure that duo would make many shit themselves," Ricky confirmed, "It's lucky that the first time they confronted us, they just happened to approach what are clearly the toughest men in our family; the alphas."

     "They don't know that," David said, trying to save his brother's feelings. "Is it possible that this foundation is scared that we're all that tough? It would explain why they kept their distance. They're trying to study us and figure out how we're doing it without actually being noticed."

     "When they think they're close, they'll move in." Ricky added, "How close do they think they are?"

     "Not much," David replied, "They have no idea about the cave. They took the reference to a key literally; they didn't know Harv was referring to a bloodline and think there's a machine doing all the work for us. Let them keep thinking that for now. It gives us the advantage."

     "For now," David said, looking around the room. "Just not used to this being your den now. Dad would kill you for taking down a few of his things."

     "He wouldn't," Ricky disagreed, "Dad knows it's my room now and would only care if I tossed his stuff away, which of course I did not."

     "Harv didn't care either," David observed, "He was more concerned about the house staying in the family rather than how it was decorated."

     "I guess." David said, yawning. "How do you put up with it... two days of time for every two hours away?"

     "You get used to it," Ricky answered, "I can't believe you went to Mom and Dad's wedding! I had considered it, but thought it would be too weird. Last thing I wanted to do was cause a problem and then not exist either."

     "I hung back," David said, "Harv made sure nothing bad happened."

     "He's very protective," Ricky observed, "But I never went that far back."

     David was about to ask what he was talking about than then it came to him, new memories of Harv spending time with him when he was a kid. Like his father before him, David's visit gave Harv a reason to want to hang around a lot longer, as he gave up drinking as much and lived a healthier life so he could spend more time with both his grandsons. David smiled as he recalled the new memories, and especially of his inheritance that's parked in a private garage, the same amazing car he rode around with him in the past.

     "Okay, I'm good." David said, standing up. "I've done enough time traveling for one day. Three weekends worth of time in two days is enough for me. I'm going to get some sleep."

     "Do you want a ride home?" Ricky asked.

     "Not right now," David said, "I'm going crash here, and stay grounded for the time being like Dad asked us to."

     "Since when did you do what Dad told you?" Ricky said, smiling.

     "I'm growing up," David said, "And it's the same thing I would have asked for out of my witnesses. I'm following it because I think it's a good idea."

     "Fair enough," Ricky said, "Drink before bed?"

     "I'm good," David said as he stood up, "I'm not in the mood to drink after all the drinking I did with Harv. I'll see you tomorrow."

     David had no interest in sleeping in any of the guest rooms, or even his own room for that matter, so he did the exact same thing he did when visiting his parents during one of the previous trips in the Portal. He grabbed a few pillows from one of the beds and crashed on the exact same couch he had that previous time. It was still as comfortable as it was when he slept on it decades ago and that was all he needed. David had no trouble drifting off to sleep, and snoring up a storm deep into the night.

     When David woke up the next morning, he opened his eyes to see a pair of eyes looking back at him. It took a second before David could focus and realize who was watching, and it was the young woman that Ricky said he brought from the past.

     "Anne?" David said, as he started to sit up. "Is there something wrong?"

     "Gail wants to see you," she replied, before quickly leaving the room.

     "Alright," David said, "She's at the back house I assume?"

     "Yes," Anne confirmed before leaving the room.

     David let her weirdness pass. Considering where Ricky found her, she was lucky to resemble any kind of normal. She was doing quite well considering the hell she was pulled out of. David was too lazy to walk so he took the turbo lift to get to the back house that Ricky had built closer to the cave, taking the elevator to the floor where Gail was waiting for him in the big kitchen. As David took a seat, he was served a nice meal to start his day with a nice hot cup of coffee.

     "Thanks Gail," David said as he dug in.

     "I wanted to speak to you," Gail said as she sat down too.

     "Anne gave me that impression," David said, taking a sup of his java. "What's up?"

     "Since you're using the portal, I had a request to make." Gail started, as she seemed a little nervous to ask. "No matter what you do, promise that you will not interfere in my marriage to your brother."

     "Why would I do that?" David replied, "I get that we're not besties, but Ricky is a happy guy and in the end isn't that all we want?"

     "I appreciate that," Gail said, "I just wanted to be sure, because I know I wasn't your family's top choice."

     "I never picked sides," David added, "You've been good to Ricky and you seem to run a tight operation here, which I respect the hell out of. I wouldn't dream of messing with what you guys have going on here. Since we're taking requests, I just happen to have one of my own."

     "Name it," Gail replied without hesitation.

     "Just no more pulling people out of time," David said, which let Gail know he knew the truth about the other people in the house. "If my Dad or his father knew what Ricky did here, they wouldn't take it well. At all."

     "You're not going to tell them, are you?" Gail asked.

     "No, I don't think that would be wise." David admitted, "The less people who know this is even possible, the better. And the less Ricky and I do it, the less people will be aware of what's been done already."

     "That makes sense," Gail said, as she agreed. "Thank you, David."

     "Thank you for being so supportive," David said, gesturing to his food. "I don't think time travel would be the same without your help and support."

     "Also about Anne," Gail started, "Whatever you do, don't mention anything around her about diaries."

     "Why not?" David said, as he was thinking about it. "What has she got against diaries?"

     "Someone stole hers," Gail explained, "Someone from the year Ricky took her from, and then they published it."

     David thought about what Ricky said about the death camps, and then when he thought about her name and diaries, his frail brain figured it out.

     "She's not!" David said, as he finally put two and two together.

     "She is," Gail confirmed.

     "Alright," David said, taking a deep breath of air. "No paradoxes, no foul. Not like he changed anything. Is that really her brother?"

     "No," Gail replied, "Anne didn't have any brothers. That just a boy that was at the same camps, a few years younger than her and they've treated each other like siblings since they got here. Oulsa too."

     "Well history still records they both died in those camps," David said, thinking out loud, "Ricky also said it was an accident, and we have no reason not to believe him. Just of all the people in there; amazingly he brings her back."

     "They're both lovely people," Gail gushed, "It's so nice having them here."

     "It is," David replied, "I like them too."

     "I'm just sorry Ricky and I couldn't have our own kids," Gail said, with a hint of sadness in her voice. "To keep the line going for the Portal."

     "Don't worry about," David said, "I've already got that covered."

     "Hold on," Gail said, "You have kids?"

     "Do you think I work holiday overtime for my health?" David retorted with a question of his own. "Child support is expensive."

     "How many are out there?" Gail asked.

     "Two that I know of," David replied, "I don't talk about it very much as they both have different mothers. I almost married one of them but it didn't work out."

     "Where are they right now?" Gail asked.

     "The boy is not far from me," David answered, "His mom remarried and already had a few more kids. They're doing quite well."

     "And the other?" Gail inquired.

     "She's still in this state." David said, "I get limited visitation."

     "Wow," Gail said, tempted to get a stronger drink. "You're just full of surprises, aren't you?"

     "So I've been told," David said, finishing up his breakfast. "You'll never hear me bad talk your cooking either, that was amazing."

     "So, what now?" Gail asked.

     "What do you mean?" David replied.

     "Do you plan to do more traveling?" She asked him. "That cave is as much yours as it is Ricky's. It's not like you have to share. As long as you keep your space, you can both travel anywhere you want at the same time."

     "I am going to stick to my day job," David confessed, "And leave the majority of the traveling to Ricky.

     "Really?" Gale asked, rather surprised.

     "I'm afraid so," David confirmed, "I see myself doing something similar to what Dad did when he was teaching, and just travel on my time off. I'm going to stay a Marshal; that's not going to change."

     "Just to let you know," Gail started, "More than one person can use the Portal at a time. If Ricky is already in there, you can also travel somewhere different if you at least keep ten feet between one another. Yet if you take his hand or grab onto him, then that will take you to the exact place where your brother is if you want to join him. I'd recommending asking for permission before you try something like that."

     "Good idea," David concurred, "Is he up there right now?"

     "He is," Gail confirmed, "Do you want to join him?"

     "Not really," David replied, "I have no idea where he is. Last thing I want to do is join him if he's somewhere dangerous like the beaches of Normandy or the Jurassic period."

     "Good point," Gail agreed, "Sometimes Ricky tells me where he's going but today he didn't. Sometimes he wants his privacy so I'd recommend not going in there right now."

     "I prefer to pace myself," David said, as he finished his coffee. "I'm not in a hurry to accidentally break time."

     Before Gail could respond, a red light started to flash on the wall of the kitchen that quickly grabbed the attention of both people at the table. There was a loud buzzing sound emanating from it as well.

     "What the hell is that?" David asked.

     "The door bell," Gail replied, "Someone's at the door of the old house."

     It took only five minutes for Gail and David to get back to the old house and when David walked up to the door he recognized the person standing there. It was Lindsay Fletcher from the Marshal's office. He hasn't seen her since leaving her at the office when he got the call about Ricky being shot.

     "Marshal Fletcher," David said, "Good to see you."

     "Jones," She replied, "I need to speak with you."

     David could tell by her demeanor that something was wrong. "Lindsay, what's going on?"

     "It's the director," Fletcher answered, "He's dead."

0