Chapter 100
258 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

War Lizard: "(ΩДΩ)!!"

[Fear level of War Lizard towards you +10]

[Fear level of War Lizard towards you +20]

Terrified, he hugged his shoulders, trembling, "Can... can I check it myself? Wuh wuh wuh!"

Seeing the patient's resistance, Lynne nodded understandingly and pointed to a partition, handing him a mirror.

"You can, but be mentally prepared, because if the condition is too severe, it might be more unspeakable than what you expect."

The lizard, shivering, took the mirror, "Tha... thank you..."

He entered the partition.

Lynne waited patiently.

A few seconds later.

"Ah!!!"

A sharp, terrified scream echoed from the partition.

[Ding! War Lizard's Sanity -10]

[Ding! War Lizard's Sanity -10]

[Ding! Fear level of War Lizard towards his own condition +30]

Seconds later, the lizardfolk, terrified, clambering with his pants in hand, tumbled out of the partition.

"Wow ah ah! My eyes! My eyes!! Monster! Monster!"

Looking at the shaken lizardfolk, Lynne, with arms crossed, calmly asked, "What did you see?"

The lizardfolk trembled, "The... the Eye of Evil!!"

Lynne remained calm, "How severe is it? What's the situation?"

The lizardfolk, wiping tears of fear off his face, cried, "A huge lump, so terrifying, like seeing an Elder God! But it wasn't there a while ago! Really! Doctor, I'm not lying, it wasn't there before!!"

It was too horrifying! He felt as if he was splitting apart!

Lynne nodded, reassuringly, "Don't panic, it's not a life-threatening condition. The real dangers are the other conditions inside your body, like your heart and brain, those are the priorities."

The lizardfolk, in despair, cried, "Doctor! Really! Think about it, if I really had all these deadly diseases, how could I have no symptoms at all? I just went for a long run a few days ago, how can I have all these diseases!"

Lynne looked up, saying, "Some diseases have a long incubation period and may not show symptoms initially, but once they manifest, the consequences are unimaginable, I know it's hard for you to accept all this at once, but don't worry, I'll explain each condition to you, one by one. With me here, you don't need to be afraid."

...

Several hours later. Outside Wandering Soul Lane.

A burly lizard was pacing impatiently at the alley entrance, continuously muttering curses under his breath.

"This dawdler, even snatching some meds takes him half a day. When he gets back, I'm going to teach him a lesson!"

He was War Lizard's accomplice. They were passing through and, with a long journey ahead, decided to resupply in this eerie place. So, they sent War Lizard to scout.

But unexpectedly, it turned into several hours of waiting. His patience had long worn thin. After waiting a bit more, he decided to go in after his comrade, but as he glanced towards Wandering Soul Lane, he spotted a familiar figure in the distance.

"Hey! You slowpoke, where the hell have you been? Don't you know…"

He was about to curse loudly, but as he got a clearer view of the approaching figure, he froze. Wrapped in thick bandages. An IV drip hanging from a bamboo pole. Leaning on a crutch, with a cast on. Behind him, a huge bag filled to the brim with various potions and pills.

He was stunned.

"What the hell…"

War Lizard, carrying the large bag of medications, walked up to his accomplice and stopped.

His companion muttered, "What happened to you…"

War Lizard replied hollowly, "I'm not long for this world, critically ill. The doctor is a good person, gave me lots of life-saving potions. If it weren't for that kind doctor, I wouldn't have known I was this sick…"

His accomplice murmured, "Sick… but you just had a cold, right?"

War Lizard lifted his head, gazing upwards at a forty-five-degree angle, "Yes, if it weren't for the cold, I wouldn't have known I was this ill. I feel… I have transcended…"

His companion, still in shock, asked, "And all these medicines are…"

War Lizard, still gazing upwards, said emptily, "Just a trifle, 9000 skull coins. I need to consume five kilograms daily. The doctor gave me a 1% discount and even a little gift, making me feel an unprecedented warmth."

A pink rabbit heart plushie on his chest wobbled. It was so adorable.

His companion swallowed hard, stunned, "That...?"

"The doctor said... When facing difficulties, don't be afraid. The best way to conquer fear is to face it! Perseverance... is victory!"

Muttering emptily, carrying the IV drip, and leaning on the crutch, the War Lizard staggered forward under his companion's dazed gaze. His lonely figure seemed so forlorn and desolate.

...

At the potion shop.

[Ding! Congratulations, you've exceeded the objective of the quest: The Common Cold of the Lizardfolk. You receive an additional reward: 500 skull coins, 500 experience points.]

With the system's notification in his ear, Lynne took a deep breath, sighing as he pocketed over eight thousand skull coins from the table.

Truthfully, it was his first time seeing a patient afflicted with so many severe illnesses still wandering around. It was indeed the Dark World, always full of unexpected discoveries.

However, he still felt a twinge of doubt. Before the diagnosis, the patient's complexion didn't seem that bad. How could he have so many diseases upon examination?

After pondering, he could only attribute it to the patient's unique constitution. His [Random Diagnosis] couldn't possibly be wrong, being an officially certified system tool. Plus, each diagnosed illness had manifested corresponding symptoms during subsequent examinations.

Lynne felt gratified. As a doctor, being able to send off each patient in peace was an achievement for him.

...

Soon, as evening approached, just as he planned to close the shop and rest for his upcoming quest to become a Night Doctor, his teacher suddenly knocked on the door.

"Sir, what brings you here?"

Lynne opened the door, inviting his teacher in and considerately offering a cup of hot tea.

Bloodsaw sat down at the table, looking deeply at Lynne, "So, you've really decided? You're going to set out tomorrow to find the Night Doctor?"

Lynne smiled, "Of course, sir. As you said, they're the most skilled medical organization. If I'm determined to be a healer who alleviates suffering, I must join the best."

Bloodsaw gazed deeply at Lynne. He knew well that his stubborn disciple was unlikely to change his mind once he'd made a decision.

Bloodsaw shook his head and said, "Alright! I know I can't persuade you, but this journey is dangerous, and it's your first time traveling far alone. Take these potions; they might save your life at a critical moment."

With that, Bloodsaw pulled out several potions from his robe and placed them on the table.

Lynne was curious.

"Sir, these are..."

Bloodsaw looked up seriously, "These are high-quality legendary potions I obtained during my travels in the Dark World. They're extremely rare! Let me put it this way, with these potions, even a pig could soar to the skies!"

Lynne was astonished. He picked up the potions, and system notifications instantly rang in his ear.

[Mental Amplification Potion]

[Quality: Legendary]

[Effect: Mental Amplification]

[Description: Crafted by the top potion experts of the Dark World, this legendary potion significantly enhances mental strength for 24 hours. The weaker the creature, the more intense the effect. Due to its outstanding results, it's extremely rare.]

[Physical Amplification Potion]

[Quality: Legendary]

[Effect: Physical Amplification]

[Description: Created by the top potion experts of the Dark World, this legendary potion greatly boosts physical constitution for 24 hours but causes weakness afterward.]

Lynne looked at the descriptions in awe, speechless.

Bloodsaw said gravely, "The Night Doctors aren't easy to approach, so you must have strong mental strength to resist their interference and sufficient physical constitution to survive their surgery. Though they're unlikely to let anyone die."

Tears welled up in Lynne's eyes, "Sir! I…"

Bloodsaw said deeply, "Save the sentimentality; it gives people goosebumps. Just remember your teacher's kindness in your heart."

Lynne, tearfully, "No more words, sir! Rest assured, I will fulfill my duty to you in the end!"

Bloodsaw was immensely gratified. Having such a disciple was both a blessing and a concern. He patted Lynne on the shoulder.

"Get some rest. You have a long day ahead. Be well-rested, understand?"

Lynne, with tearful eyes, responded, "Yes, sir!"

A silent night passed.

Early the next day, outside Bloodsaw Potion Shop, a mist swirled in the dark.

Lynne, in full gear with an electric saw, the Nightfiend Blade slung across his body, wearing glasses and carrying a medical kit, looked the part of a very serious doctor.

After bidding farewell to Bloodsaw, Lynne didn't leave Wandering Soul Lane. Instead, he quickly navigated through various turns and alleys until he reached a secluded spot. He retrieved the Night Doctor class change item from the system space.

"System! Activate!"

In an instant, the item in his hand transformed into a burst of light, merging into his body. The system's notification sounded in his ear.

[Ding! You have used the class change item and triggered the class change series quest: Night Doctor]

[Phase One Task Introduction: Find a Night Doctor in Silent Town and raise your reputation within the Night Doctor faction to 100 to trigger the next phase of the quest.]

[Note: No killing is permitted during the quest, as it will cause extreme displeasure in the Night Doctor faction.]

[Note: A high reputation may increase your prestige within the Night Doctor faction and potentially grant you a higher title and rewards upon completing the class change quest.]

Buzz——

As the system notification ended, a hexagram teleportation circle appeared beneath Lynne's feet. The next moment, his body disappeared from the spot.

...

[Ding! You have entered the Cursed Territory: Silent Town]

With the prompt sounding in his ears, Lynne opened his eyes to find himself at a crossroads.

The area was engulfed in silence, with swirling black mist. A red moon hung high in the sky.

In front of him was a decayed signpost with the words "Silent Town" inscribed on it.

In the distance, barely visible through the night and fog lay a dark and mysterious town nestled within the forest.

"It feels a bit like a horror movie set," Lynne thought to himself, cautiously surveying the surroundings with a calm demeanor.

This was his first time in such a completely unfamiliar environment, far more isolated than Departure Soul Street near Wandering Soul Lane.

Swish, swish, swish——

Something seemed to flash through the dark forest, sending shivers down Lynne's spine.

Gurgle, gurgle——

Without hesitation, Lynne opened the bottles and consumed one of each of the potions Bloodsaw had given him.

[Ding! You have used Mental Amplification Potion x1, your mental strength has increased!]

[Ding! You have used Physical Amplification Potion x1, and your physical constitution has increased!]

With a full 24 hours of duration, Lynne spared no expense. After all, this was the Dark World. For safety, any conservativeness was the greatest irresponsibility to oneself.

After taking the potions, Lynne immediately felt his senses become extraordinarily sharp. He could accurately capture every movement in the forest.

The significant boost in the physical constitution made him feel a surge of energy as if he had boundless strength.

"Let's head to that town first, I must admit, I'm a bit nervous."

Lynne(❁´◡`❁) confidently strode down the road toward the town.

Unbeknownst to him, in the depths of the forest, several dark figures flitted from tree to tree, and pairs of bloodthirsty, brutal red eyes reflected a terrifying glow.

...

Meanwhile, in Silent Town.

Amidst the rolling black fog, several torches illuminated the surroundings.

One could faintly see dark-skinned humans, vigilant and crouching behind prepared fortifications, aiming their shotguns toward the fog-enshrouded outskirts of the town, their expressions grave.

Not only humans, but also some dark elves, dark dwarves, and a few solitary cyclops were present.

Without exception, their gazes were extremely alert.

"Lord Mayor, the red moon is high, and those monsters will surely attack our town. You should go back and hide. Leave this to us!" A young dark-skinned man cautiously loaded silver bullets into his shotgun, speaking to an elderly man with white hair behind him.

The old man, resolute, replied deeply, "This isn't the world we once knew. The Holy Light can't reach this hellish place, and though I am old, I swear to protect my people."

He gripped his staff, lifting his head, his aged eyes staring intently outside the town.

"Stay alert, don't worry about me. Ready your shotguns! We must not let a single monster through!"

From the distant black fog, a series of howling wolves echoed, sending a chill through everyone's heart.

...

8