Chapter IX
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After her unintended adventure of the evening before, Carolinia was still somewhat shaken. Of all she had experienced, the sight of the void of reason was still clinging to her mind, like a question still demanding to be answered. 

“I hope we’ll have fun with Nannade today!” Meredith brought Carolinia back to the current world, walking up the road to the campus. “I wonder what the teahouse will be like. I wonder what Nannade will be like. Don’t you too?” 

Carolinia nodded and made an agreeing sound. They passed through the gates and something pulled her away from their intended path to the lecture hall. She had to tell someone about the shadow of reason and she knew just whom. “I will be back in a moment, do not wait for me.” With these words, she separated from the group and headed for the faculty of abjuration, not even looking back to see Meredith’s confused face as she was torn between heading on to lectures or waiting for Carolinia to return. 

When she entered, as the day before, the receptionist sat there. She looked up from her literature. “Mademoiselle Carolinia? Have you forgotten something here?” 

Carolinia shook her head. “No, I need to talk to Professor Fesure. It concerns the safety of the campus.” 

The receptionist raised a curious eyebrow. “You can tell any of the guards, if it is truly important, it will reach the Professor no doubt.” 

Carolinia shook her head. “No, this is serious, I need to talk to him personally.” 

“Well, Mademoiselle, his time is none of yours to demand. You will have to enter your name onto the waiting list, but it will take months to make your way to the top.” 

Carolinia knew she did not have that much time. “It is truly important, please, let me to him.” 

The face of the receptionist turned annoyed. “No. Just because you demand it, it will not be so. Nobility holds little power here, so get into line like everyone else. Or leave. I have little time for this.” 

Protest and frustration welled up in Carolinia, but before she could bring them forth, the door behind her opened once again and an official of the university entered, young and virile in his manner, obviously excited to relay the news. “Madame, the new plates arrived at the printers, we need you to bring the official orders.” 

The receptionist rose from her seat and grabbed a ledger of documents from her desk. “This I need to attend. Mademoiselle, return to your lectures. If you still wish to deliver a message, talk to the guards as I told you.” She walked over and with a gesture of a gooseherd driving the flock, she beckoned Carolinia out the door. “Go on now, I have business to attend.” She left by the side of the official for a distant corner of the campus, Carolinia remained for a moment more. 

She contemplated somehow getting the Professor’s attention or whether she should talk to Nannade or Roy, but then she suddenly heard a clicking sound. The door of the faculty building had not been closed properly. 

Had the receptionist not paid attention when locking or had it opened by another force? Maybe from inside? Carolinia thought for only a moment before grabbing the handle and going inside. She made doubly sure to close the door behind her before looking around. The entrance lobby was positively empty, the door to the staircase and elevator shaft was open and inviting. She went on. 

Working the lift was out of the question, so she made the arduous journey up the stairs. Halfway up, the thought of quitting and going to lecture crossed her mind, but she knew that her bloodline had a duty to protect this campus and all within and if the guards would not notice the obvious intruder, she would have to do. 

She arrived at the door of Professor Fesure’s office huffing and groaning. She gave herself a moment, but even before she could knock, his voice called her in. “Enter, please.” 

An icy feeling crept down her spine, but she knew she had been noticed by the one man who ought to notice. She grabbed the doorknob and entered. 

“Professor Fesure, I have to-” She saw the office before her, the thick, soft carpet, the long, book-covered wall, the sunlight flooding in from the other side, the broad desk, but she did not see the Professor. The office was empty. She took another step in, made sure she saw right. Then the sound of the door falling shut and something large and heavy hitting the carpet behind her made her turn around. 

A visage of black and red dropped down and rose up before her. Fangs white like ivory and sharp like swords sat around a maw as deep as the ocean. A howling roar escaped this abyss, just before the monstrosity dove towards Carolinia. 

She jumped back, let out a scream and sought her pockets for grain to summon her flame. Long, bending limbs set down upon the carpet, the visage of black and red came closer with a hoarse rasping breath resounded deep within. Carolinia stretched out her hand, throwing a handful of lint and a lone grain of wheat the monster’s way, a defence which sent the monster... 

...into roaring laughter. 

The monster disappeared and behind it stood a cackling Professor Fesure, holding his stomach, pointing at her. “OH DEAR, YOU DUMB LITTLE...!” 

Swaths of black and red metaphysical mist drifted away into nothingness before Carolinia understood the ruse she had been victim to. The Professor was heartily laughing at her distress and his face made anger well up in her. “WHAT THE? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? PROFESSOR! WHY?” 

It took the Professor a while before he managed to bring forth proper words again. “Oh, you little sneak. You come where you ought not to be and you think it will bring no consequences?! Goodness, I did not have this much fun in a long time.” 

Still giggling, he walked past Carolinia to his desk and sat down in a low and relaxed pose. An amused sigh escaped him. “Oh dear. Yes, that was fun. Now, Mademoiselle, what drives you to violate distinct orders by the receptionist?” 

“What? But you di-” Carolinia wanted to protest further but remembered her gusto with which she had willingly walked into the trap. “Well... I recently saw something.” 

Professor Fesure, still somewhat chuckling and smiling with boyish glee, seemed interested. “Oh you saw something? Is that not something? Please, do tell me more!” 

Carolinia ignored the mockery in his voice and went on to describe the shadow of sense and meaning she had seen walk directly past the guards. During this entire time, the Professor seemed keenly interested but also amused. When she was done, Fesure sat up properly, cleared his throat and spoke to her in a professional manner. “Mademoiselle Carolinia, I am grateful for you reporting that to me. I will convene with my captains to make sure this potential threat is properly addressed. You may return to your lectures now.” 

Carolinia felt odd with the way Professor Fesure was assuring her that. “Are you sure you understood correctly? An invisible entity is trespassing without tripping any alarms or even raising notice, not even from your mages.” 

“I assure you again, Mademoiselle, that I am keenly aware of the implications. Your visit was enjoyable but I really do need to return to my duties now and so should you.” He made a gesture beckoning her out of the office with a smile. 

Carolinia left, but she was not convinced all was as well as he had said it to be. Out of his office and the building entirely, Carolinia could finally appreciate what a marvellous day it was. She looked forward to the outing with Nannade. 

0