Chapter: 4
347 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at Elyons' smug face I grinned internally as a nasty idea popped into my head.

"Sorry, but who are you? Since I know of a few great eleven mercenaries and I have never heard your name spoken amongst them." 

Though before I could put my plan into action Zena beat me to it. Mercilessly speaking the words I was just about to more or less.

Hearing Zenas' words Elyon dropped the smug expression from his face and looked as if he had just swallowed a lemon. I'm also pretty sure he just got pierced by several red arrows just now.

Despite the powerful tongue lashing however Elyon quickly recovered in just a few minutes.

"Well I'm not too surprised you haven't heard of me. I only just recently became famous." Elyon spoke. "But ask any mercenary around here and in neighboring town or city and they'll tell you just how good of a mercenary I-"

*Slap!*

Before Elyon could finish boasting about himself a figure came up behind him and slapped him in the back of the head.

As said figure settled down I got a good look at them and saw it was a girl. She looks to be the same age as Elyon with short shoulder-length dark green hair and matching dark green eyes. Her attire consists of a light-green tube top, which is covering a modest chest, a beige sleeveless open vest, tight-fitting dark-green shorts, dark-brown ankle-length boots, dark brown gloves, and finally a dark-green scarf. She also has two large knives in holsters on a belt around her waist, and several smaller knives holstered on her belt as well.

Recovering from the slap she delivered to him Elyon turned to face the girl. "Elsie, what was that f-Ow!" Elyon screamed. As he was once again interrupted from speaking by the girl named now named Elsie.

This time she did it by pulling hard on his left ear.

"Quiet you." Elsie spoke in a firm tone. Glaring daggers at Elyon, basically daring him to retort or do anything to contradict her words.

Which he didn't.

Seeing that Elyon was following her instructions Elsie turned to the two of us and put an apologetic smile on her face. She then slightly bowed her head in our direction. "If this idiot did anything to upset you, offend you, or anger you I deeply apologize. Please don't hold it against him. He's always had issues controlling that mouth of is."

"Oi Elsie!" Elyon shouted.

But Elsie ignored him and lifted her head up.

Seeing their actions I couldn't help but lightly chuckle. Since if they act this way towards each other it must mean they are quite close.

"Hey you, what's so damn funny?" Elyon asked.

Which caused Elsie to slap him in the back of the head again.

"Ow!" Elyon shouted. Rubbing the back of his head he turned towards Elsie. "Dammit Elsie, stop doing that."

"I will when you learn how to talk to others properly." Elsie retorted.

"That's rich coming from you. What about those mercenaries you "talked" to the other day huh?" Elyon spoke.

"That was different and you know it." Elsie immediately retorted. "Unlike that situation these people are not being hostile to you in the slightest. Yet you're showing aggression towards them."

"I'm not. I just simply asked the guy what he thought was funny." Elyon spoke.

"You can ask in a nicer way than that and you know it." Elsie replied.

"Quiet, you overbearing knife-user!" Elyon exclaimed.

"Oh shut up, you arrogant archer." Elsie replied.

The two of them just kept on bickering, not caring at all at the attention they were attracting with their actions.

After a few more minutes of them arguing passed Zena spoke to me.

"So, should we stop them?" 

"No. When lovers argue like this it's best not to get involved unless absolutely necessary." I spoke.

Immediately after I did so Elyon and Elsie stopped yelling at each other and directed their gazes to me.

"We're not lovers!" They said in unison.

"There's no way I could ever be the lover of this arrogant guy." Elsie spoke. Pointing to Elyon.

"Yeah, and I could never deal with a lover who constantly berates me for every little thing." Elyon said. Pointing to Elsie.

"Right." I spoke. "So, if you guys want to keep verbally sparring that's none of my business. But a little bit of advice. You may want to do it elsewhere. since you're attracting quite the crowd." I told them.

I then pointed my finger around.

When I did so Elsie and Elyon looked around and finally noticed all the attention they were getting.

Seeing this they both cleared their throats and got small blushes on their faces.

"Am, it looks like we got way off track here." Elyon spoke. "Do you mind if I still talk to you about the caravan job?" He asked.

"Sure, I don't mind." I spoke.

"Me neither. Please, take a seat and your companion as well." Zena said.

"Thank you."Elyon spoke.

"Yeah, we'll do that." Elsie added. "Especially so I learn what you are all talking about." She said.

Thus the two of them pulled up chairs and ordered some food and drink.

Once they were comfortable we explained to them both the full details of the job we were looking to hire people for.

"I see." Elsie spoke, just as we finished our explanation. "That sounds interesting."

"I know, right. That's why I wanted to come talk to these two and see if we could get in on the job." Elyon added.

"Well actually, what you did was come and offer your services, phrasing it like we would be grateful if we took your assistance." Zena spoke.

Giving Elyon a harsh tongue lashing for the second time today.

Seeing this I made a mental note to never get on her bad side.

"Oh, is that true Elyon?" Elsie asked him. A smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes at all.

"I don't think that matters right now." Elyon said. Not looking Elsie in the eyes as he did so.

"I agree." I spoke up. Deciding to throw Elyon a lifeline. While it's fun watching him squirm I want to do so after we conclude our business. "What happened, there's nothing we can do to change that. Instead let's look to the future. You guys are interested in the bodyguard positions. What qualifications do you possess that you think makes you two good candidates?"

"Well for starters both of us are silver-ranked mercenaries." Elsie spoke. "While our leader is Platinum ranked."

"Oh, so there are more in your group than just you two?" I asked.

Elsie and Elyon nodded.

"How many?" I asked.

"Just the three of us." Elsie replied. "Though we've been working together as a mercenary party for many years and all of us can generally get along with just about anyone." She explained. "Even the one sitting next to me with his arrogant mouth. Though disregarding  that he's a pretty decent guy.

"Haha." Elyon dryly laughed. "Very funny."

"Thanks, I try." Elsie proudly said.

"Ok, so three of you. And where is your leader today?" I spoke.

"He's handling a personal matter." Elyon said. "Though if you would like to meet him before you consider us for the job that can be arranged." He said.

"Yes, we would like too." Zena said. "Does tomorrow work for all of you?"

"It does." Elyon spoke.

"Yep, sure does." Elsie added.

"Alright then. So, let's meet back up here tomorrow. Same time. Any objections?" I spoke.

No one said a word.

"Ok, then it's set. Oh by the way my name is Cain Lupus." I said. "Since it seems throughout all the talking we've done we've forgotten to introduce ourselves."

"Huh, that is true." Zena said. "Well then, greetings to you both, my name is Zena Lune."

"I'm Elyon Chaeran." Elyon said.

"Elsie Indir." Elsie spoke.

Having exchanged our names we parted ways until the meeting tomorrow.

Which I personally think is just a formality.

Since although they have some personality quirks I think Elyon and Elsie are just the people we are looking for to help us out on this job.

I just hope the same can be said for their third member.

Guess I'll have too see and find out for myself.

***

The following day Zena and I arrived at the mercenary guild branch fifteen minutes before our scheduled meeting time with Elsie and Elyon.

Sini and Azure having accompanied us.

Since if we're going to be potentially working with these people I want the twins opinion of them. Since the more opinions we have the better in my opinion.

Seated at a large table the four of us made small talk.

The local mercenaries giving us a wide berth as we did so.

Because earlier some of those disgusting commenters I talked to yesterday started looking at Sini and Azure. So when that happened I had a "friendly" chat with them and asked them to stop. Which they did.

Due to this everyone got the message I was trying to send.

Sini and Azure are mine, so keep far away from them.

As this thought crossed my mind I started thinking about my relationship with the twins. Specifically what I wanted it to be. Since the three of us have never really defined our relationship. Sure, a lot of things are implied but implications and certainties are two very different things.

Realizing I wanted to truly define my relationship with the twins I made a mental note to have a conversation about it with them at a later date. Since it's a conversation I think needs to be had. For all our sakes.

Just as I did this I noticed Elsie and Elyon approaching us. Along with another man.

He looks to be in his 40's. He has a handsome face, and I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit that, and slick-backed bright-golden hair, complimented well by his blue-green eyes. His attire consists of dark-brown boots, dark-blue pants, a dark-blue shirt, and a long dark-blue jacket that comes all the way down to his knees. On his hands are pure white gloves, which I find strange for a mercenary to be wearing considering what most mercenaries job usually entail, but to each his own I guess. In his left hand he is holding a dark-green spear double his own height, which I put at about `180 cm. As this man came closer and closer to us looking at him a single thought crossed my mind.

'Strong.'

This guy is strong.

I can sense it.

Even if I went all out I'm not sure I can beat him as I currently am.

And even if I somehow managed to do so I certainly wouldn't come out of said fight unscathed. I would most likely lose a limb at best or end up dead just along side him at worst.

That's just how powerful this guy is.

He's making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Something that no one I've met in this world so far since I was reborn here all those years ago has been able to do. Not even that piece of shit Gelt made me this nervous.

Looking out of the corners of both my eyes I saw Sini, Azure, and Zena were all nervous as well. Meaning they are sensing the same thing as me.

Good.

It means I'm not crazy.

When the trio reached us the man with the spear in his hand gave us a light bow. He then lifted his head up and introduced himself. "Greetings to you all, my name is Ludwin Fidell. A pleasure to meet you." He spoke.

"The same." I replied.

"Yes, it is a pleasure to meet such a warrior as yourself." Zena said.

"Hello." Sini spoke.

"What my sister said." Azure added.

We then all introduced ourselves to him. The twins then introduced themselves to Elyon and Elsie and vice versa.

Once all the formalities were out of the way the trio sat down and we got straight down to business.

"So, my young apprentices here tell me you wish to hire us for an escort job." Ludwin spoke.

"Yes, we do." I replied. "But first we wanted to meet you."

Ludwin nodded at my words. "That's quite understandable. After all you do not wish to work or hire someone that may try and stab you in the back."

"You took the words right out my mouth." I said. I then explained the details of the job to Ludwin. "So, what do you think?" I asked him when I finished my explanation.

"I think this job is exactly what we are looking for at the moment." Ludwin said. "So if the offer is still on the table we'll be happy to take you up on it."

"Is it. And so with that I welcome you three aboard." I spoke.

"Great." Ludwin spoke.

The two of us then shook hands.

Then immediately after we did so Zena spoke up.

"Um Mr. Ludwin I have a request." She said.

"Please young Zena, just call me Ludwin." He told her. "Also, what is this request you have?"

"I request you have a sparring match with me." Zena said with no hesitation.

Beating me to the punch just like yesterday.

Since I was also going to request a sparring match against Ludwin.

Even if I know currently I have no chance of beating him I want to test myself against him and then use the results as a measuring tool to see just how much stronger I would need to grow to stand on equal footing with Ludwin.

Since I intend to keep growing stronger and improving myself as much as possible. Because doing so will allow me to fight stronger opponents. An activity I think I've fallen in love with. Because when I was younger I loved clashing against the monsters in the forest near the Hubert estate. Just remembering it brings a smile to my face.

Does that make me a battle maniac? Probably.

Do I care? Nope, not in the slightest.

"Hey Zena, do you realize what you're asking?" Elise asked.

"Yeah. Do you? Since let me tell you master Ludwin isn't one to hold back." Elyon spoke.

"I know exactly what I am asking." Zena replied. "Now the only question is, do you accept my challenge Ludwin?" She asked him. Looking him directly in the eyes as she did so.

"Well when faced with such a determined gaze how could I say no?" Ludwin spoke. "I accept your request." He said

"Excellent. I greatly appreciate it." Zena spoke.

"I don't think you'll be saying that once the battle starts." Elsie spoke.

But Zena ignored her.

Instead she simply got up from her seat and started making her way to the sparring area that all mercenary guilds are equipped with. Ludwin and the rest of us following behind her.

Since there is no way I'm going to miss this match for anything.

 

 

16