8-0
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first flake of snow has fallen to the ground.

It only lasted a minute before dissolving back into water.

Following were many other fragments that looked similar in comparison.

They arrived on soil from the sky, and slowly returned to the original form.

However, as more and more snow fell on the ground, it became white.

Whenever you could turn there was only one colour.

The rest was indistinguishable.

 

As a child I remember at one point of time there was a single snowflake fell on my hand.

I was wearing leather mittens during that day and the flake in question wasn't like the rest.

Normally when you think about snow everything is just a white coat made by little dribblers of round bits.

But this one time I could see the structure of this single snowflake.

It's quite amazing that I still remember that today, though there was no significance to it.

It was just a memory I had from my childhood, from the period I still used to play in the snow.

Those were nice times, I do admit, but now I'm a little older and perhaps slightly wiser.

 

But why am I thinking about the snow and the past right now?

I’m currently travelling inside a comfortable carriage, looking outside the window.

The landscape of the farmland covered in the snow is filling my vision.

These almost endless fields, forests and occasional buildings made out of wood.

I feel like I’m simply floating, riding the carriage to the destination,

and it appears that I will be arriving there very soon.

 

“We can’t be this far from the mansion now.” I state while turning away from the window.

“Of course young madam.” The maid nods. “I believe a few more minutes.”

“Then I’m glad you have decided to come with me.” I mention. “Even though for the purpose of accompanying me briefly.”

“It is my pleasure to serve you young madam.” The maid blows to you.

 

It was decided by my mother and me that this year’s winter break I will be spending with my friend, Harrivetta.

We have been good friends since we met at school, even though I think she sees me as a rival.

We studied together, competed in physical exercise and talked about various topics.

I don’t think I could imagine a person that was a better friend for me than Harrivetta.

 

However, there is one more reason why I am going there, the case of my violin practise.

Because a famous musician expressed his desire to visit the countryside,

Harrivetta’s family successfully arranged his stay at their mansion.

Bahik Salayev is his name, although I don’t know much about him personally.

If he were to witness my ability then it would be beneficial for my education.

 

Yet, there is also another goal in my mind, one that my mother approves of.

As a growing young lady who haven’t got the opportunity for her debut yet,

I am anxious to even consider what effect on my reputation could a recommendation from Salayev have.

If I were to impress him with my ability, it would certainly spread a positive word among the nobles and their circles.

That’s the more important reason why I was practising violin all this time.

 

“I wish you and mother could stay with me.” I voice.

“It is due work that madam is unable.” The maid says.

“I do understand that but please do visit if you have the time.” You explain. “After all, it would be proper to express thanks to Harrivetta and her family.”

“I shall keep that to my mind young madam.” The maid nods.

 

It is true that your mother did express that she would be upmost busy and couldn’t travel with me.

Yet, to my knowledge, she works from home, doing accounting and planning.

I understand that she wants to keep it secret from everyone but I don’t know the significance of it.

Perhaps one day she is going to tell me everything so I could at least help her.

 

But nevertheless, the important thing for me is to focus on the future ahead.

Finally, after a long and tiring trip we arrive at the mansion without incidents.

As I notice the carriage stopping and I open the window’s curtain.

The light beams in and I am now finally able to see Harrivetta’s house with my own two eyes.

 

It is bigger than I expected. There is a stone wall fence and a pathway leading into the main building.

It has not one but two floors, and it is several times wider than any of the houses I saw before.

Compared to my school or the church it looks more expansive and impressive.

 

The mansion roof is covered in a thick layer of snow, but it also has drainage and four chimneys.

They all appear to be working right now in fact, as I notice a small puff coming from each.

Below them there is row of crystal clear windows and corridors that are decorated with painting,

carpets, tables with flowers in vases, and chandeliers.

 

Before the main door there is a circle staircase and the foundation is made out of bricks.

All in all, I wouldn’t be able to imagine how someone living in this house, it’s just too big.

Yet, I am about to find out just how Harrivetta is able to do exactly that.

 

“We arrived at the destination young madam.” The maid announces.

After looking at the mansion I turn to the maid. “Thank you Emmi.”

“It was my pleasure to have you arrive safe and on time.” Emmi bows.

“And it was my pleasure to have you accompany me all this way.” I bow to her back.

 

As I step down off the carriage, the butler holds my hand gently.

I am able to finally stretch my legs after all this time I had to stay in the seat.

My stomach is also quite a bit reacting, but that might be because I only ate breakfast, not the corset I’m wearing.

Nevertheless, I am escorted towards the main door, with Emmi carrying my coffers.

I would have asked if she wanted any help but the butler simply took care of the rest.

In this situation I can only hope they will be fine, as the baggage looks quite heavy.

The least they could allow me is to open the door, but before I am able to reach the handle, someone from inside gets it.

 

“Good afternoon miss Pyrecilla.” A row of maids welcomes me as the door opens.

 

The main hallway, as expected, has a staircase leading upwards and several doors.

It is decorated mainly by a carpet and painting that hangs on the wall.

The wooden interior is quite elegant and polished to perfection.

I only could imagine that this to warm welcome is befitting a princesses,

therefore as a modest young lady quite sure what I should be the proper answer.

 

“Good afternoon.” I bow to them back. “I feel quite humbled by this gesture.”

“Miss Harrivetta should be ar…” The butler tries to say when something happens.

 

From upstairs I can hear a clicking sound of two people moving through the corridor.

One of them must be someone wearing high heels, I think, but she is sure taking her time.

 

After a brief moment, I am finally able to see Harrivetta and Davithea.

They look wonderful and wear gorgeous dresses that would suit even someone of high royalty.

Their straight posture takes them a while to climb the stairs down however.

Everyone looks at them and says not a single word. I am as well, speechless a little.

 

“My salutations to you Pyrecilla.” Harrivetta drops a crusty towards me. “I sincerely hope you had a pleasant journey sans problems?”

“Absolutely Harrivetta.” I greet her back with the same elegance. “I was dying to see you all this time.”

“Hey miss Pyrecilla!” Davithea says as she attempts to mimic her older friend.

“And greetings to you as well, Davithea.” I greet her as well.

 

We exchanged greetings while the rest watched and observed our gestures.

During that time Emmi took off my coat, which was quite warm since it was made for winter.

With the shoulders relieved and the initial welcome done, I was finally able to return to myself.

 

Since it was winter my shoes have been covered by snow very slightly.

Just the walk from the carriage to the main door was enough for tiny snowflakes to be transported inside.

However, apart from me no one appeared to notice of care in the slightest.

Not mentioning that I didn’t get the opportunity to even wipe them on the carpet.

 

Nevertheless, it appears that while I was looking for a good word to continue the conversation…

 

“You must be hungry after the trip.” Davithea says as she runs to me.

“The dinner is waiting miss Pyrecilla.” A maid says.

“Would you like to join us, Pyrecilla?” Harrivetta extends her arm.

“I would be delighted to be doing so.” I nod and take the hand of Davithea who leads me towards the door.

 

Pyrecilla feels a little surprised by the attention she received from everyone.

However, it only takes her a while to calm down and accept the sudden invitation.

It is the utmost importance for her to be acting proper and not embarrass herself in front of her friends.

 

That is to say, the servants and the contrasts between her and Harrivetta creates a homely aura.

It is strange and difficult to explain, but knowing that others give you a role to play,

the role of a young maiden that is simply a guest at this great and wonderful mansion,

grants Pyrecilla the sensation that she can simply calm down and follow the script.

 

As she does, she finds herself in the dining room, a large space with windows,

furniture, a large table decorated with plates, utensils and an elegant table cloth.

All this must be expensive without a doubt, but Pyrecilla also notices the chairs.

There are a lot more seats than is needed for her and her two friends.

 

That is to say, before she would even have a chance to turn, there is a voice.

 

“Good afternoon young lady. I presume you are the friend Harrivetta was talking about?” A man’s voice reaches Pyrecilla from behind.

“Yes that is indeed so.” She turns around. “My name is Pyrecilla Abronova ,I am exceedingly grateful for allowing me to say with Harrivetta, sir.”

 

The elegant and young looking gentleman must be Harrivetta’s father, the red haired girl deduced.

He looks chic and has a small mechanical clock in his pocket. He is also quite casually dressed compared to Harrivetta.

However, he is also accompanied by his wife, who is also elegant but modest.

 

“Greetings Pyrecilla.” The woman bows towards the guest. “It is our utmost pleasure to be having you as our guest in this humble residence.”

“Likewise.” Pyrecilla replies to her and bows again. “I am forever thankful.”

“The thanks should be from our side.” The woman replies. “We seldom have visitors that Harrivetta brings home.”

“That is so?” The cerise eyed girl tilts her head.

“Apart from Davithea, so is true.” Harrivetta answers.

 

Pyrecilla looks at her friend, knowing that she probably should look away,

but her face is neither awkward or embarrassed. It appears rather calm,

and slightly annoyed by something. Nevertheless, the silence is broken.

 

“Now, let’s forget about the trivialities and simply enjoy dinner, shall we?” The man interjects.

“Very well my lord.” The maid bows and opens the door.

 

As Pyrecilla looks behind her, trolleys of food arrive at the dining room.

They all look appetising and quite extraordinary in her eyes at least.

However the quantity of all the food appears quite large for only the five of us.

Yet the number of servants in this house, which Pyrecilla is still getting used to,

is much larger, and they will presumably eat whatever would be left.

 

With that in mind the red haired girl positions herself next to her friends,

and waits until the lord of the mansion sits down first, then his wife, then the rest.

This is an important way of conduct that can’t be forgotten if one is having a formal meal.

 

“Please feel unrestrained to fill your appetite.” Harrivetta says to her younger friend.

Okay Harrie. I will do that.” Davithea responds.

 

As the maid passes by Pyrecilla she notices that she isn’t quite hungry.

However, there is a good reason for that. Between a wholly cooked chicken,

and a meat pie, there is hardly anything she could reach without standing up.

Therefore it is up to the maid in order to satisfy the guest, despite that she wasn’t told about her preferences.

 

“Would you require any help, miss?” The maid says to the girl.

“It would be helpful if you could pass me that plate over there.” Pyrecilla points at a certain meal.

“Very well miss.” The maid nods.

“Also if it would not be a stretch, would you be informed about the whereabouts of Emmi?” The girl adds.

“Emmi?” The maid tilts her head.

The maid I was with.” The girl explains.

“I pardon miss.” She bows down. “Of course we wouldn’t let her go without a meal.”

“I understand. Thank you.” The girl turns back to the table. “Please mention that I would like to talk before she goes home.”

“Of course miss!” The maid responds.

 

It was just this small conversation that made the entire a little liver.

The parents, the lords of this mansion, started whispering,

although everyone in the room could hear them perfectly.

 

“She knows the name of her servant?” The man whispers to his wife.

“It is not a wrong characteristic to have.” The woman explains to him.

“A sign of gratitude, a gesture of kindness, but not of lowering oneself. That must be a new way of thinking.” The main whispers back to his wife.

“Perhaps our guest is simply that forward?” The wife replies.

“And from a good house, despite the fact I haven’t met her parents.” The man nods.

 

This short conversation caused another resident of the house to start talking.

 

“Do not mind my parents Pyrecilla.” Harrivetta whispers to the girl.

Of course Harrivetta.” The girl nods in return.

“Miss Pyrecilla is in trouble? ”Davithea asks her older friend.

“Her case is different from yours.” Harrivetta explains. “And it is fair to presume that gossip follows every novel guest.”

“Yes Davithea, do not fret with my case.” Pyrecilla explains

“When they saw me they asked me questions and...” Davithea says.

“Accept my apology Davithea.” Harrivetta interrupts.

“It’s fine, I will tell you later Pyrie, okay?” Davithea figures.

 

With the nod of the cerise eye girl, the conversation slowly ceased and the plates slowly got consumed.

It wasn’t long before the three smallest girls excused themselves one by one.

Leaving the dining room and the parents they would then head towards their rooms.

 

“My parents always do such comparings. “ Harrivetta mentions while walking through the corridor. “I have told them many times now. Tell me, you must understand now why I seldom have friends to come?”

“That is indeed a pain.” Pyrecilla responds. “But for some reason I can’t perish the thought that my mother might be talking behind my back as well.”

“Misunderstood me not, it is their attitude for new social norms that disquiets me.” Harrivetta rectifies. “Their pursuit of greatness through being ahead of everyone else is inexcusable. Yet, coincidentally it makes me glad to have met you.”

“I do feel honoured by that thought Harrivetta.” Pyrecilla bows to her friend.

 

Harrivetta was considerably displeased to have her parents spoiling the mood after she prepared everything so perfectly.

It was her day to astonish Pyrecilla with her expensive and elegant dress,

with the mass of servants she had under her, with how big was the mansion she lived in,

and eventually with how good her piano skills become after months of training.

 

However, all that perfect image was spoiled by having the parents mention one thing.

Of course it wasn’t something that Pyrecilla was worrying about at all,

but rather in Harrivetta’s mind it must have been something that she couldn’t forget.

 

“When they met me they asked me if I could cook or clean, and I said yes!” Davithea happily mentions.

“That was due to a misunderstanding.” Harrivetta explains. “They took you for a servant, not as someone I wished to adopt.”

“They gave me this maid outfit and asked me to try it on!” Davithea adds.

“And only due to the forward thinking of my father she was allowed as she is now.” Harrivetta tells the cerise eyed girl. “Pyrecilla, you understand now what strength it took for them to be convinced about you arriving here?”

“I suppose so, but do please allow me to apologise for the difficulty I have caused you first.” Pyrecilla bows.

“Accepted, but I would be grateful as well if you left me for the moment.” Harrivetta responds.

 

Since it is quite difficult for the young lady to be moving in a frilly dress like this,

Harrivetta must be thinking of putting it down and changing into something more casual.

Perhaps it’s because of her parents, who didn’t prepare for this special occasion,

she feels like it’s no longer worth it to keep the appearance of a perfect lady.

 

“I understand Harrivetta. I will be waiting in my room.” The cerise eyed girl says.

“Yes miss Pyrecilla, please follow me to the guest room.” The maid bows.

“And Davithea?” Pyrecilla turns around confused.

“She rooms with me.” Harrivetta responds.

“See you soon Pyrie!” Davithea waves at her friend.

 

After the door closed, as the girl followed the maid through the corridor,

she saw a familiar face downstairs. It was Emmi, who was getting ready to leave.

 

“Emmi, will you be leaving so soon?” The girl asked.

“Madam would be worrying if I didn’t make it before night.” Emmi explains.

“Then please do write, you and mother.” Pyrecilla pleads to her.

“Of course, I will keep that in mind young madam.” Emmi bows.

“And safe journeys.” The girl waves at her maid.

“I also wish you well. I will eagerly await your return young madam.” Emmi bows again.

 

With that, the maid led me to my room and I was finally able to relax.

I find myself in an unknown room, lying on a canopy bed and trying to think.

Emmi must be really worrying about mother, she left in such a hurry.

I would have suggested that she should stay the night but I didn’t find myself able to say so.

After all, she deserves a rest from her work from time to time, and without me living at home, she might just get that.

 

I sighed, as I looked around my new room. It has almost everything I would ever need.

A wardrobe full of clothes, a chair, a sofa, a desk, a cabinet, windows and curtains,

tapestry, carpets…everything looks brand new and polished to perfection.

Additionally there is a note stand ready for whenever I would like to rehearse.

It is also about time I would be having my usual daily practise so I think I should.

 

Despite that I feel a little tired, I opened my case and took out the violin from the case.

I looked around the hallway and closed the door as no one seemed to be around.

After all, I wouldn’t want to wake someone during the time of siesta.

And so I begin. It takes me a few moments to adjust the instrument. However…

 

There is a knock on my door. I open it and a small fancy clothed boy stands in the hallway.

 

“Good afternoon.” I bow towards him. “My name is Pyrecilla Abronova. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“God Moawring.” He bows to me back.

“Good morning?” My head tilts.

 

Instead of replying he shows me the notebook he was carrying with him.

There are various sentences and words there, and one of the page says:

 

“I don’t hear or speak too well. Please take notice.”

 

It appears that this boy has difficulty with speaking with his mouth. However, as I look at his clothes,

he can’t be a part of the servants here. The likely possibility is that he is another orphan that was adopted.

 

“What is your name?” I curiously ask the boy.

He flips the pages “My name is Gorgie Francishias”.

“I understand.” I nod. “I’m Harrivetta’s friend who was invited here.”

He points to a single word “Sister”.

“She is your sister? I am pleased to hear that. It is that she never mentioned…” You say but...

He holds out his palm for you to stop. Then he points at the instrument and shows you the question mark.

“Has she not mentioned I also practise music?” I ask him.

He shows me the words “No” and “Keep quiet”.

 

Now the situation was clear. It is probably his ears that are especially sensitive to high pitch sounds.

In this case I am unable to practise without him going to my room and complaining.

Yet, as a guest I shouldn’t be bothering the residents in the first place.

Therefore there is only one way this could be solved, or at least one good way.

 

“You mind if I ask Harrivetta for a different room?” I explain. “I understand this is quite troubling to be facing this sudden situation, but I do have to continue my practise somewhere. If that can be arranged elsewhere, there should be no further issues yes?”

The boy pauses for a second and shows you the word “Slower”.

 

It seems that I forgot with whom I was talking again. Once I apologised and repeated everything slowly,

in response he nodded and said “okay” with a gesture. With that, the plan was simple.

I would go to Harrivetta’s room, the room she entered when she left me with the maid,

and ask her if I could practise there or somewhere else. Actually now that I think,

she must be practicing her piano. She only mentioned that at school, during the last days before the winter break.

However, I haven’t yet listened to her performance yet, though I would love to.

 

“Excuse me.” I say while the boy still stands in your doorway. “Do you know where Harrivetta practises her piano?”

The boy shrugs in response.

“I understand.” I nod. “Yet one more thing, where is your room?”

The boy points to the door right next to mine.

 

I look outside, at the corridor. So he lives right next to my room, I say to myself.

And also, he gave a name that would suggest he is a part of the family.

Why would he be living in the farthest corner, and next to a guest room?

Harrivetta might know the answer but she never told me about her family.

Actually, I never inquired about her siblings and her parents at school to begin with.

Perhaps it was my fault but I can’t simply blame her for not telling me anything.

 

“Okay thank you.” I bow to the boy.

The boy gestures “Don’t mention it” with his hand and leaves to his room.

 

As I began looking for Harrivetta I noticed just how long the corridor upstairs is.

It almost makes the illusion of never ending, although you can perfectly see both ends.

It wouldn’t even compare with the apartments of my time, since they were dark and crampy.

 

But nevertheless, to reach Harrivetta’s room I had to walk the entire distance.

It must have taken me a minute or two to get there, but I was able to knock on her door.

There was no response. I decided to knock again, but there was still nothing.

I could have just peeked through the keyhole but I decided that I would simply open it.

 

And as I did, inside there was a room similar to mine, but on the bed I could see two young ladies.

The smaller one was curling up in a ball like a little animal. It was Davithea.

The larger one protectively embraced her tiny friend. She was called Harrivetta.

As the two had only white undergarments and laid on the covers, I couldn’t help but to silently enter.

I didn’t want to wake them up, so I ended up going for the sofa and lying down myself.

It was comfortable enough to fall asleep, but since I was still wearing a corset, it would be unwise to do so.

 

Eventually there was a grumble, followed by a voice that broke the silence.

 

“Pyrecilla, are you here?” Harrivetta voices.

“Yes, I presume I am not intruding?” I answer.

“The hour could not have been worse.” She replies.

“Then I will be excusing myself.” I reply.

“Halt. At least state your purpose.” Harrivetta pleads before you leave.

“I have met Gorgie. I was told I need to find a better place for practise.” I say.

“The music room is downstairs.” She points out.

“That is helpful, Harrivetta.” I bow.

“But you don’t know where it is.” She adds.

“I can ask a maid.” I suggest.

“Let me show you.” Harrivetta insists.

 

With that I wait patiently outside for her to first get off the bed, get dressed again,

and finally leave the room. Since it is my first time seeing Harrivetta in her casual clothes,

it is quite a surprise for my eyes. It’s nothing as elegant as she would wear during dinner.

Yet, comparatively my own everyday clothes appear as unsavoury peasant wear.

At least I am glad that most of my dresses that require corsets are on pair with this one.

 

“I was hoping to witness your violin.” Harrivetta says.

“My forgiveness.” I bow. “I must have left it in my room.”

 

It is true that I forgot to bring it with me, but there is no problem, I thought.

 

“Wait, let the maid deliver.” Harrivetta pleads before I’m able to turn around.

“I feel no ill would be done if I were to bring it myself.” I tell her as we start walking down the corridor.

“Pyrecilla do you always must account for others so mindlessly?” She asks me.

“By taking a moment?” I tilt my head.

“Let others do their work. That’s my word.” Harrivetta states

“I am a guest, so I will oblige.” I bow in apology.

 

Along the way we see a maid working at the stairs, and Harrivetta asks her to bring the violin.

With that everything is set as we enter the music room. It’s empty, there is nothing but the fortepiano.

 

“This is the music room?” I tilt my head.

“It is as it should be.” Harrivetta replies.

“Everything has its place, they say.” I nod.

“Listen closely. The acoustics of this room are much more well-adjusted than any other.” Harrivetta explains. “And just like the space, the tool and the person, everything has its place. Sadly, that does apply to you and me as well.”

 

Pyrecilla just heard something that startled her, a statement that changed the atmosphere of comfort.

Indeed she was not able to fit in within the structure of this new situation for her,

but what surprised her the most is that her own friend, her best friend,

was able to tell her something as simple yet influential in a moment she would expect it the least.

 

“Your family is most generous and I thank them for their hospitality.” The girl says. “But do please tell me what you mean by those words? I am quite confused.”

“Believe when I say I have a reason to say this.” Harrivetta explains. “Ever since you grew accustomed to our friendship, it came to me that your person fits everyone into your own frame. It is that you were not satisfied with your own mates, or how you desire to take over a maid’s task yourself.”

“Me, Minorta and Ellien are still friends, despite that we didn’t talk frequently in the last days of the semester.” Pyrecilla explains. “And would that make a difference if I was the one to carry…”

“Maybe in your house.” Harrivetta interrupts. “But here you must adhere to the rules of this family. And dislike me if you will, but I’m saying this before anything happens.”

 

If anyone else said that Pyrecilla would not have believed in those words.

It is true that she isn’t yet accustomed to the new situation, but also she didn’t notice.

 

“Was I really trying to fit everyone?” The cerise eyed girl asks.

“Would you presume your friend wouldn’t be able to tell?” Harrivetta states.

“If that is so, then wait…” Pyrecilla thinks deeply.

 

Harrivetta is her best friend and also a person who dislikes her own family.

The girl can say that based on how her friend talked about them and on today’s events.

A father and mother that are constantly gossiping, a brother that is not desirable,

 and the only person she can be really close to is Davithea, who was labelled as a servant.

 

“You are also my friend Harrivetta.” Pyrecilla replies. “And I know how you feel. You wish your family could accept you more, right?”

“That is incorrect.” She shakes her head.

 

There is a brief silence in the well attuned place.

 

“But Davithea is seen as a servant, isn’t she not?” The girl asks.

“It is so I am afraid.” Harrivetta nods.

“And your parents always put the pressure on you?” The girl adds.

“That again is correct.” Harrivetta acknowledges.

“There is also your brother…” The girl says.

“I would lie if I said his treatment by the family is desirable.” Harrivetta states.

“If it is all so, then why are you not defying their bearing to point out the faults?” Pyrecilla asks. “Why wouldn’t you tell them their rules are the ones that are incorrect?”

“Because telling them they were wrong about anything is not permitted.” Harrivetta informs the girl. “And whichever house you came from no longer matters here. The rules belong to those who have power over you.”

 

Whenever there was a problem the girl noticed that it is better to keep quiet, like a proper young lady.

Happy to follow the wish of her mother, she would forget about her own desires,

and lock her mind from what was happening to her outside. In this floating state,

she would simply observe and give simple answers, nod or bow towards others.

It was her defence mechanism against the world that tried to ruin her happiness.

 

Perhaps the girl would have been better off if she would openly state her beliefs at times like these.

But whenever she tried she noticed that she wasn’t able to convey fully about her individual feeling,

or rather, her idea about the world would not fit in well with the minds of her peers.

 

“So you are like me, unable to speak your mind freely.” Pyrecilla states.

“If that’s true I do not know. Yet, there is one difference.” Harrivetta says. “You recall the time we met Davithea’s father? Now that I think of your decision it was indeed the next best thing.”

 

I recall making that decision clearly. I knew that if I would let him go he wouldn’t return.

I knew that in this situation Minorta couldn’t convince him about the spirit that followed him.

And I knew the next best thing was to lock him in the prison. That way at least he wouldn’t have to die.

 

“I do grant you with respect because of that, since you acted out of place for a good deed.” Harrivetta says. “Yet, stating that your manner stemmed from proper behaviour is far reaching.”

“I might be with flaws, and they are perhaps irredeemable, but so is every person.” I state. “Yet, one would do wrong not trying at all, in spite of individual faults. Because if there is even a small chance, it would be wasteful for us not to use our talents and fail to meet the expectations put on us by our parents.”

“And there is where I find my fear.” Harrivetta replied. “If I rebel I would hurt others, but if I don’t I would only hurt myself. Rest you can understand on your own.”

 

Before I was able to put one more word in, there was a sound silencing us both.

Suddenly, the maid carrying my violin and notestand came knocking at the door.

I opened the door for her and she thanked me politely, although it appeared more like an apology.

 

“Thank you.” I bowed to her.

“No, thank you miss Pyrecilla. It was my pleasure.” She bows to you twice.

“I will consider next time to me more mindful.” I bow to her back.

“No it’s my fault for not doing this in the first place miss!” She keeps on bowing.

“Please do feel free to leave.” I tell her.

 

As I spoke those words the maid retreated with her back bend all the way to the door.

 

“I must say, I miss Emmi.” I sigh.

“The maid of your house?” Harrivetta asks.

“A house maid and all jobs.” I mention. “I tried not to overwork her and helped. I presume the same thing is ill allowed here?”

“You learn expeditiously Pyrecilla.” Harrivetta responds.

 

In any case the time for my practise is running short.

I want to be at least done before the sun comes down.

During the winter the days are quite short, so it’s natural to be hasty during light.

 

And so the rehearsal commences. Me and Harrivetta try to hear each other’s mistakes.

We both laughed at the start at least, but then she turned out to be actually serious about her practise.

Comparatively, it is hard to tell whoever is the better musician however.

She and I use different instruments and play different songs.

But it’s all for the sake of the future that will eventually come.

Mister Salayev is rumoured to come sometime in this month after all.

0