12-0
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I suppose it is time to open my eyes, since surprisingly, for some reason I can’t go back to sleep.

Today appears to be a little different than usual. Normally I find it hard to get out of bed.

However, this morning I am unable to return to the dream world, closing my cerise eyes in peace has no effect.

 

The sun is barely in the sky, it is still quite dark, I notice, as I stand up to enjoy the rays slowly illuminating the snow horizon.

The window I look through is emanating a cold feeling when I reach my tiny palm near it.

It’s not only the glass, I discover, the entire room is filled with chilling air which makes my flimsy body shiver.

In this case I decide to grab the blanket from the bed and warp myself with it.

And to say the least, I would probably benefit more if I went back to sleep,

but neither do I feel tired or have the desire to go back to the bed after my sun rays squeezed my irises.

 

Therefore, the idea I came up with is to get on the sofa and start reading a book.

It’s an excellent plan, I think, because I might even tire my eyes enough for them to close on their own.

Alternatively, sitting down would allow me to heat up until the maids light up the fireplace.

 

There are four in this house and not all are used. That depends on how many residents are present.

Some of the segments are therefore cold, and locked away to prevent the cold air escaping.

Yet, I never really did a tour and visit all the rooms, like Davithea suggested one time.

Is it time to do that today, I ask myself, as I start to feel a little more comfortable resting on the sofa.

 

Besides the aunt, there are only the usual maids and Harrivetta’s family present.

However, it is today that the famous musician, Bahik Salayev, is going to visit this mansion.

Besides the aunt, there aren’t many people looking forward to seeing that man.

Me and Harrivetta were practising every day for the time when he would judge our abilities.

But at some point I think we lost interest and just got tired from aimlessly repeating the same training schedule.

That’s to say, today might be different, but that only makes me more anxious as I imagine what can happen.

 

Therefore, instead of thinking of that possibility, I grab a book from the shelf and start reading it.

It is titled “The Promotion of The Rational Mind”. I would believe this a book for adults,

yet I decided that I’m going to read this, though I didn’t even finish school, or received a degree yet.

It is an essay from various authors that state how important for the society is to accept arguments based on facts,

while explaining how the minds of the past have influenced philosophy throughout the years.

I am interested in knowing how people would categorize the world with their limited information,

since when I went to college the first time I had no clue how all this applied to life.

But now, the western philosophy makes more sense for me as I look at it in terms of the pursuit of discovering the social conduct in its truest form.

 

“The main similarity between a fact and a truth is that of an assumption. One may be fast to conclude said words are synonyms, yet the fundamental difference is the basis for scientific findings. It is of the nature similar to how objective thinking and empirical findings vary, wherein one tells of a reality unrelated to the observer that is verifiable, while the other speaks of an opinion and the judgement that stems from perspective. Yet, facts themselves are also in turn not ultimate and undeniable truths, like truths or opinions, and therefore might appear similar without the knowledge of their denotation.” I read.

 

I suppose I have covered this at school, but even in my previous life I didn’t understand why this was important.

Only after I became a free thinker, after college, I noticed how many people believed in truths over facts.

Naturally the difference between the two doesn’t matter if you take in consideration that both are just assumptions.

Like if one person thinks it would rain tomorrow, while the other would use established weather facts to state prognosis.

Comparatively, people living at the farmland might be good at knowing when it would rain,

but one that uses science would be more consistent, accurate and could tell of the sky far away in the calendar.

That is to say, facts are a more reliable way to state of the reality, yet philosophically, they can’t explain matters of the mind,

like concepts such as morality, religion, society or any philosophical argument.

 

Therefore many people, not just in this world by in my previous life as well, declared that they knew the real truth,

yet what they said wasn’t the factual reality, just opinions, predictions and most of all information with little reliability.

And that is to say, science is supposed to find evidence that deny established facts in order to further our understanding of the world,

rather that state of ultimate truths that aren’t allowed to receive criticism or can’t be proven wrong by design.

 

One can only speak of the factual reality through predictions and opinions, but never should they be undeniable.

That is obvious to me since many facts from this world were already proven false in my old life.

If not for that aspect, if humanity would have kept accepting the arguments from authority when one would state the truth,

like for example if the church would be able to say more about the shape of Earth than scientists,

then most certainly the truth, told by the priests, would matter more than the fact, leading to no progress or development.

And consequently, if this was really the situation was repeating in my old life, thanks to the internet, misinformation and post-truth movements,

then I can understand why many of my friends couldn’t find themselves in the world.

 

That is also why when I started reading this book I hoped the thinkers of the past understood the purpose of science more correctly.

But maybe I was wrong, since for some reason, this rationalism in this book has a bias against the simple minded,

the natural ideologies of the farmers or peasants that care little of progress or advancement.

 

“I should have just picked up a story book.” I sigh while the book falls on my face.

 

At least I would have enjoyed a simple story more than this scientific murmur.

Perhaps this is just a popular book, but compared to the videos or blogs, this doesn’t appear all that different.

It reminds of the time when I was in college and suddenly I realised something.

During one lecture, the professors spoke of an international scholarship and was very enthusiastic to interest students in joining the program.

I understood then what students are, assets in training for certain purposes dictated by influential people.

 

Apart from that, there was also of course pure science, but I also heard that those people aren’t fortunate as well.

I know one story of a person who felt into the situation where their field of science was already advanced so much that there were no further discoveries.

Thus, they were asked by their employer, as in by the professor, to find something worth receiving a grand.

But to solve that problem the student was suggested to make up an issue that would attract enough attention.

 

Doing so, they would at least make money, use their degree and make research that was not useful to science at all.

But that didn’t matter, since only for those in the field could tell of the faultiness of the paper,

while the mentioned student still would receive the funds, regardless of the poor reviews.

What mattered more was popularity and how many newspapers reported the said science.

 

That’s why the older I became the less I thought my education actually mattered.

I learned much more from being a free soul and doing my own research, than from focusing on a career path of a scientist.

Of course, that was because I was never good enough or had the desire to look for work outside the path of pure science.

 

“Excuse me.” A voice whispers outside the door.

“Who is this?” I answer.

“Pyrecilla are you awake as well?” Says the surprised voice.

 “Come in, if you please.” I plead.

“Sorry to be intruding so early.” The door opens and a person enters.

 

What I saw then was a blanket covered young lady that was a little taller than me.

As I pondered why would she also be awake this early, I noticed I also had only light clothes underneath the covering.

It appears that Harrivetta decided that she would surprise me and pay me a visit.

And to add to that, she had the courage to go through the corridor wearing that.

I suppose I’m her guest, but something is amiss, I feel strange, but I can’t guess what is wrong.

As my friend carries herself inside the blanket to the sofa, she lays down on the opposite side from me.

 

“Before you state a word, Davithea decided to spend the night with Gorgie.” Harrivetta tells me.

“Then that is wonderful! I suppose you are glad?” I ask her.

“For a child of her age it is not shameful.” Harrivetta says. “Yet, it is a pity that I had to spend the night alone in the bed. I suppose I got used to having her beside me.”

“And, to take a guess, I presume that explains your unusual wake up time today?” I say as I lower the book I’m holding.

“That is so, it is a fact.” Harrivetta nods.

“Then please feel free to fashion yourself with your fancy. The shelf is over there.” I point at the place where I keep my books.

 

But instead of diverting her interests there, she looked directly at me.

Her gaze pierced me as if she wanted to criticize me for my reading choice.

 

“The one you are reading, isn’t it of science?” Harrivetta asks.

“I assure you it’s no scientific journal, just a simple essay.” I explain to her.

“You have interest in such tomes? How so?” Harrivetta tilts her head.

“I suppose there is either nothing else interesting, or that this mumble is enough to brighten your mind in the morning.” I tell her, yawning.

“To comprehend such a book requires much knowledge.” Harrivetta explains. “Having it tire you perhaps states of your over-commitment.”

“I do however apprehend the topics with ease. It is just that it has little scientific value to me.” I mention, while I dig deeper into the sofa.

“How it is so?” Harrivetta says a little upset. “This is far beyond the level of the school curriculum, yet you say this bores you?”

“I suppose in order to avoid the wrong impression, I discovered many things that I’m already familiar with.” I say. “My expectation was high however, a hope of enlightenment which is unlikely at this point.”

“I understand your disappointment, though surprising it is.” Harrivetta voices. “A science level book in the hands of a school student shouldn’t be comprehensible in the first place. And to add, you appear to lack the respect to appreciate your talent.”

 

I put down the book on the table and look directly at my friend as I bend my knees and sit in a curled up position on the sofa.

 

“Wasting my talent on not paying attention when reading books?” I tilt my head. “I can lend you this so you discover this to be no further than the school level. The word usage might be different, but the concepts are fundamentally the same.”

“I wouldn’t say so, understanding the language is at least the sign of maturity.” Harrivetta says.

“But what are words compared to the substance?” I question. “Nothing but a way of argumentation that attempts to convince one of their intellectual lacking.”

“If you say so, then the beauty of the words would not matter.” Harrivetta points out.

“In terms of the knowledge or wisdom value, beauty matters not.” I state.

“But said qualities also require the tranquillity of mind.” Harrivetta voices. “Without them one would not have the sensibility to discern which is right, and fail to sense the authenticity of written thoughts when compared them to reality.”

 

What Harrivetta says is that without a sensibility to know that one is trying to say about their ideals,

but using various arguments and language, one could write a scientific divination that spreads bias, with or without having the intention to do so.

That is why the beauty of the words is important, and according to Harrivetta, so is to appeal to the reader as well.

That is to say, if one opens the book in order to look for knowledge, but instead is met with disappointing bias,

then it is not proper, and any information mentioned there is little of worth.

 

But if the beauty of the words is preserved, the objectivity, the appeal to the reader,

and the respect to the facts, then it’s worth reading, even if you already know of the subject matter.

 

This was also an issue with the online journals that spread like plague in my past life, along with false information.

If honest people who wrote them would appeal to the beauty of the language,

to have done their research fair and present the science in a unbiased form,

then perhaps many that read them, including reporters, would have satisfied Harrivetta.

However, that was not the case, and many just simply copied and misrepresented the information,

causing more confusion since the paper presented was made to appear credible, yet it wasn’t.

 

In many cases it had nothing to do with science, by not referencing years of research previously done in the field,

having no or selective peer reviews, that accounted next to none corrections anyway,

and were posted online, where anyone, including not scientists, could publish their own journals.

Therefore, the belief that one must appeal to the beauty of the language when writing,

be it science or a novel, is quite a reasonable opinion to have, I think.

 

“Pyrecilla? Did you doze off?” Harrivetta asks me.

“Um…Yes? I suppose so.” I answer.

 

As I noticed the voice, my half-wake mind started to perceive reality again.

I was curled up with my legs and body on the sofa, covered by a blanket.

Harrivetta who was on the opposite side, just barely touching my feet with hers.

She was in a similar position like me, but rather than dozing off, she appeared to be observing me as I opened my eyes.

I have no idea how much time has passed since I put the book down, I realised.

But before I could rub my eyes or let out a yawn I noticed a familiar sound outside.

 

“May I enter miss Pyrecilla?” A voice asks me after knocking on the door.

“Yes, do please come in.” I answer.

 

Through the door enters my usual maid who discovers Harrivetta and me on the sofa.

Her face instantly changes expression as she is both surprised and out of suitable words to say.

 

“Do not pay mind to me.” Harrivetta says to her.

“I woke up early.” I tell the maid.

“I suppose you can inform my maid that I will be there in a minute so she wouldn’t worry?” Harrivetta suggests.

“I'd rather have you stay here Harrivetta.” I ask her.

“It would inconvenience you, I shouldn’t.” Harrivetta answers.

“Simply take your clothes here, there is plenty of room for us two.” I tell her.

“I pardon!” The maid gets us attention while fretting.

“Yes, I suppose I have to get up and clean my face.” I yawn.

“Yes, please get the maid and tell her I will be needing her here, with my dress ready of course.” Harrivetta adds as she gets up.

 

And before the maid is able to state more, she decides to rush out of the room.

We are left alone again, and the sun through the window is quite bright.

It must be morning now, and finally we can start our usual daily schedule.

As far as I recall today is supposed to be the day of our promised meeting with the maestro.

Yet, I can tell that Harrivetta doesn’t particularly appear to be looking forward to that.

 

“Aren’t you anxious about today?” Harrivetta asks me as she washes her face.

“I suppose after I see the man himself I will be.” I say.

“Not that I’m worried.” She says. “It is my aunt that I’m most concerned about.”

“Then would you say it’s better not to speak more of it?” I suggest.

“As long as you understand completely.” Harrivetta nods.

 

Her aunt is a great supporter of maestro Salayev. Knowing her she might affect our meeting,

and it would not be pleasant to me, Harrivetta or the guest. She appears to be a so called music critic,

an individuals who know more about music than the usual listener. Perhaps she studied it,

but there is no way to tell what ramification her expertise might have on our performance.

 

That is to say she was trying to help out with our practise but she wasn’t able to do much.

All she said was that we are doing a fine job, but couldn’t tell if we actually improved.

Yet, it would be a waste, as Harrivetta says it, if we would not try to do better on our own.

 

“Excuses us miss Pyrecilla.” A female voice outside catches my attention.

“Please come in.” I reply.

 

Before I am able to wipe my face with a towel, the maids come in through the door, bowing.

The one that works with Harrivetta is visibly older than mine, but they both work together,

carrying the clothes for the blond lady to wear, as well as a stool for her to sit on. It has the same height but a little different design.

To not further delay, we both decide to sit down in our positions and allow the maids to do their work.

 

“Then shall we proceed?” The maid asks Harrivetta.

“Of course, please do so.” Harrivetta answers.

 

Today is no exception from the usual, and thus the first piece of clothing we are put on are stockings.

They are relatively easy to dress, but it is crucial because the next in order is the corset.

This time I brace myself for it with all my strength in my tiny body, but I don’t feel anything.

It means that I got used to putting the corset on to the extent that I didn’t even notice the maid putting it on.

After I return to the straight position, I look down and can’t believe that I’m actually wearing it, since I don’t feel unusual.

Strangely, Harrivetta also doesn’t make a sound while she gets treated from behind by her maid.

 

“Now miss Pyrecilla, anything you fancy today?” My maid asks me, looking through the wardrobe.

“I believe anything that would be fitting for the occasion.” I say without thinking.

“Absolutely miss, I presume this might be your liking?” She asks me.

“Isn’t this a little short?” I tilt my head.

“I suppose the youthful radiance of that dress would suit your hair style.” The maid says.

“I suppose you might be right? I am not sure.” I reply.

“I concur, your long hair is fitting for the image of a young lass.” Harrivetta adds.

“I had cut it shorter in the evening, but that was supposed to be a surprise.” I tell her.

 

Because I was wearing a mobcap all this time, Harrivetta never noticed my new haircut.

The reason why I decided is that the hair was getting too long and I couldn’t fit it inside the mobcap without damaging it.

Therefore I decided to tell the maid that she has to shorten it with scissors.

The effect would be of course a surprise for everyone since I haven’t the occasion to wear a dress with it yet.

 

“That is quite the news, but you aren’t the only one.” Harrivetta smirks.

“You did that as well in secret?” I giggle.

“Of course, it is obvious that I would.” Harrivetta nods.

“The visit was the reason I suppose? Then I can’t wait!” I exclaim happily.

“Be prepared for amazement.” Harrivetta adds.

“I sure hope it came out splendid.” Harrivetta’s maid says.

“With you on the task, I worry not.” My maid responds.

“It’s the method. I haven’t the chance to use it in a long time.” Harrivetta’s maid explains.

“Yes, I’m sure you did a great job!” My maid says.

“But my work is nothing compared to your talent.” Harrivetta’s maid responds.

“Yet, you are much older! How could I compete with a senior?” My maid states.

 

It appears that the conversation went from our mouths onto the lips on the two maids.

They were humbly discussing who did a better job without revealing anything yet.

Of course my hair wasn’t yet stylized, so the surprise wouldn’t be as much as the maids say.

However, knowing Harrivetta she might have planned something truly amazing.

And at the second our dresses were complete, the mobcaps were removed at the same time.

 

“This is pretty!” I exclaim as I look at Harrivetta.

“The heating technique had to be used.” Harrivetta says as she flips her drills. “I suppose that the applause should be directed at my maid instead.”

“But miss Harrivetta came up with the idea!” Her maid says.

“I have only followed the paper mentioning said style.” Harrivetta argues. “You have done the job without must instructions.”

“That is also thanks to the patience of the miss.” Her maid says humbly.

“Yet, I suppose it would take some time.” I add.

“Then I would allow myself to lose!” My maid states suddenly.

“No, please do take it at your own pace.” I tell her.

“Splendid, this development is quite interesting.” Harrivetta nods.

“Don’t say that our maids also have to compete?” I say worried.

 

If adding spice to life is to create situation where one could enjoy themselves to the fullest,

then Harrivetta surely does activates senses whenever there is competition involved.

I’m, on the other hand, a little worried about how my hair will come out when my maid is in fury.

There are some quick movements and precisely calculated moves, like during a chess match.

Not a second is wasted by her in order to make my hair as young looking as possible.

And with the result in the mirror I look at myself and my ponytail stylised medium sized red hair.

 

“Is this of your liking miss Pyrecilla?” The maid asks me.

“This is quite splendidly done I must say.” I nod as I bend my head to the side.

“It is quite the work.” Harrivetta adds. “Your appearance can challenge even Davithea in terms of puerile innocence.”

“So you think so? Is it too much?” I reply as my cheeks turn red instantly.

“With that face of yours I should have said you appear as pure as an angel.” Harrivetta says as she stands behind me and embraces me.

“As pure as an angel? What sin have I committed to deserve this?” I say while I hide my face in embarrassment.

“It is only simple that as a host, my duty is to entertain the guest.” Harrivetta says as she puts her hands on my palms and gently lowers them.

“No please, have some mercy!” I plead to her as she smiles at me.

 

So this is how I would feel if I were to live with her in a single room, I discover.

It would be possible to image that Davithea receives similar treatment during the day,

but at the same time I am supposed to act a little older than her, as a proper young lady.

 

Yet, I also told Harrivetta to be less like an adult and make it like a little child if she so wishes.

I suppose that desire also includes her playing with a little sister without restriction of manners.

But now it seems that her darling Davithea spends more time with Gorgie that with her older sister,

thus the role of the younger sibling and a dressing doll falls onto me unfortunately.

 

And only yesterday, when I decided shorten my hair, I realized how I always was trying to mimic my blond friend’s matureness,

who is now acting enjoying herself to the fullest, playing with me like I was her younger sister.

 

“Now do not fret, I was only admiring your decision in fashion.” Harrivetta states. “My purpose wasn’t to cause embarrassment or disapprove of your peculiarity. Indeed, I do hold the opinion that this suits your character more.”

“It is true, miss Harrivetta.” Her maid states.

“You do look proper, yet youthful, miss Pyrecilla.” My maid says.

“If three of you ladies are against me, they I’m defeated.” I let my head down. “I anticipated less reaction, but suppose I was blind and could not foresee the consequences. It is my fault that this became so.”

“But the apology should be from me.” Harrivetta says as my head goes up again. “I acted out of place and caused this commotion, since I never considered your emotions.”

“There is no need, do not feel regret.” I tell her. “I’m still quite pleased with the look, though I have to get used to this.”

“Then perhaps I should give you time?” Harrivetta tilts her head.

 

But before she is able to leave the room with her maid, two little children enter through the door.

 

“Hey! I found you!” Davithea comes running through the door without knocking.

Gorgie who also walks through the door, notices me first and becomes stupefied.

“Davithea, I am glad to see you.” Harrivetta says.

“But who is this lady?” Davithea tilts her head.

Gorgie also does the same.

“Oh, it’s Pyrecilla? Did she cut her hair?” Davithea asks Harrivetta.

Gorgie, also realising his mistake, bows to me in apology.

 

The two siblings, Davithea and Gorgie, join us in my room, dressed in modest clothes.

Comparatively, I’m probably the youngest looking in the room if not for my tallness.

But then again, when I recall Harrivetta’s sisters, the taller one was younger, so height doesn’t matter.

 

“So to not startle anyone else, it is true, I’m Pyrecilla.” I say to everyone.

“Did Harrivetta make you do this?” Davithea asks.

“That is not so.” Harrivetta shakes her head.

The boy shows me the word “Like” in his notebook and nods.

“And surely, as no one can object, this is my choice and responsibility only.” I state.

“Does it mean you want to play with us Pyrecilla?” Davithea pulls my hand. “You can be the little sister now!”

“I suppose I haven’t the time today, but I will, I promise.” I tell her.

“Do please remember that maestro Salayev will pay us a visit today, dear Davithea.” Harrivetta tells her.

“That is to say are you going to compete with miss Pyrecilla again?” Davithea asks.

“It would appear so, but it’s a friendly sport.” Harrivetta explains.

“Then you two should be on even ground!” Davithea tells her.

 

When Davithea said that no one in the room really understood what she meant.

It was only second later when I looked at Harrivetta and realised her appearance.

She wore her formal, gorgeous dress that she loved so much and used only on occasions.

With that we were completely different in terms of style and impression.

The little one must have noticed that it would be difficult for the maestro to choose his favourite if we were to tie.

That is to say since he is a human he wouldn’t just analyse our musical ability to determine the better one anyway.

 

But what should we do in this situation? I could change since there is still time, and wear the dress Harrivetta lent me.

Otherwise I don’t see how we would be able to resolve this problem. Yet, the little one had an idea of her own.

 

“I know what you should do Harrivetta! You should borrow a dress from Pyrecilla!” Davithea tells her older sister.

“I pardon? The idea sounds quite novel.” Harrivetta admits.

“It’s because you only have adult-like clothes in your wardrobe.” Davithea states.

“By that Harrivetta meant that it would be awkward to do so.” I explain.

“Yet who was blushing today? I saw everything through the keyhole!” Davithea says.

At the same time Gorgie bows down in apology, embarrassed.

“Yet this is no time or place to do so.” I tell the little girl.

“I have been telling her to for so long, of course now is a perfect time.” Davithea punts.

“I presume that I haven’t the choice? It is simply what my little dear Davithea desires from me.” Harrivetta admits with a downcast expression.

“You do concur? Harrivetta please do not, I will change instead.” I suggest.

“Then I would not repay for the early commotion I have caused.” Harrivetta argues. “And besides that issue, haven’t you told me of my over-strictness previously?”

“This and that does not relate.” I plead to her. “Think of your parents and what would they say.”

“And surely that would matter?” Harrivetta tilts her head.

 

There must be something I can still do, I tell myself, as I start looking around the room.

 

“How about the maids? Do they also comply?” I ask the maids.

“Miss Harrivetta would find support with us.” The older maid bows.

“Then there is no one objecting?” I look at every face present in my room.

“It is so that you are alone in the matter.” Harrivetta smirks as she notices me pleading desperately for help.

“Then only this time, since I feel responsible as well.” I punt admitting my defeat.

“Simply adorable, my dear Pyrecilla.” Harrivetta giggles.

“We shall see when you look at the mirror.” I smirk at her back.

 

Considering our height difference, there might be difficulty with selecting a fitting dress for Harrivetta.

My wardrobe is vast and certainly there is going to something that would work,

but very little would make it to the final selection. Thus, when I’m done looking through my collection,

I ask the maid to measure each of my picks and turn to Harrivetta in order for her to become the final judge.

The dress she favours eventually is a bright pink one, presumably the one my mother brought as a present.

I do recall that it was too big, but she said that I will grow into it during the winter break.

 

And so, as my friend puts on the layers, I look away until she is finished.

Although I can hear some worrying voices behind me, I can only imagine what is happening.

It is mostly Davithea who runs around and makes high pitch noises as if she would be a singing bird.

At some point Gorgie comes in front of me “Not” and “Finished” in his notebook.

I was patiently until, at some point, someone walks slowly towards me without saying a word.

 

“Are you done changing, Harrivetta?” I say anticipating something to happen.

“What do you think?” Harrivetta says as she puts her hands over my eyes.

“I can’t tell since I’m blind.” I answer her as I put my hands on her wrists.

“The gloves, don’t they look gorgeous?” Harrivetta asks me.

“For a pianist, that is a given.” I state. “But you are too close.”

“Then would you say yes if I played for you?” Harrivetta inquires.

“I wouldn’t object to an invitation.” I respond, trying to pull down her hands.

“Then allow me.” She takes my hand and grabs around my waist, spinning me around a little.

 

Before I am able to protest or say anything, I start to feel a little dizzy from the spinning, and my vision blurs.

Luckily someone catches me before I collapse to the ground, and I fall gently on their hands instead.

It is then when I open my eyes, stand up and turn around. On my irises an image of a girl appears.

She is gorgeous, and dressed wonderfully for the concert she invited me to.

The long opera gloves really emphasise the appearance of the music performer on the stage.

It is quite elegant, but at the same time, simple and childlike to a certain degree.

I’m glad too that Harrivetta, despite her being silent during the change,

is beaming a joyful and cheerful slime as she looks directly into my cerise eyes.

 

“What do you think?” Harrivetta asks me again.

“Is this an invitation to a dance?” I ask.

“It might have been, but I suppose that will have to wait.” Harrivetta sighs.

“I pardon, I was taken by the moment. The dress really suits you, although it is a little short.” I tell her.

“Alas, everything else is in place.” Harrivetta spins around slowly. “Wouldn’t you say?”

“It is as you say Harrivetta. I am quite lost for words.” I say as I blush, and turn my head to the side.

“Why the face, Pyrecilla?” Harrivetta tilts her head.

“If I were to say, you lost a few years more than me. I’m dying of jealousy.” I admit with my palm on my mouth.

“This is sudden.” Harrivetta checks also start turning red.

 

After a second, everyone in the room starts laughing a little. That helps us calm down and stop acting abnormal.

The two of us bow, apologise for the behaviour and the time for breakfast finally arrives.

We enjoy it with the four of us, drinking tea and making small talk in between the bites.

Davithea is excited because she found a book that she wants to read to Gorgie.

Harrivetta says that I should more often talk about fashion with her to ease my agitation.

Gorgie acts quietly, occasionally reacting with a word or two to my and his sisters’ conversations.

As for me, I am happy that everyone appears enjoying themselves during the breakfast.

Of course, I can’t eat much myself, but there is always a second stomach for deserts.

 

Before the cakes arrive however, there is a knock on the door. From the sound it doesn’t appear as if it was the maid.

 

“Can I come in ladies?” Someone says.

“Of course, do come in.” I respond.

 

The door opens and in the room walks a familiar, yet quite rarely seen face.

It is Harrivetta’s aunt, who is staying with us for this period of the winter break.

And furthermore, she is the one looking to today the most, as she is dying to meet the maestro.

 

“I never would have guessed that I would meet all you ladies and Gorgie in the same room, in the guest room out of all places.” The aunt says as she enters. ”Are you having a pleasant time ladies?”

“Hey aunt Gnezevia! You should have come earlier.” Davithea tells her.

“Why would that be so, my darling little Davithea?” The aunt curiously tilts her head.

“We had a lot of fun dressing up!” Davithea explains.

“Oh I see, I appreciate the sentiment. You two look remarkably splendid, but so do you Davithea.” The aunt says.

“Thank you miss Gnezevia.” I say as I bow to her.

“The complement is appreciated, aunt Gnezevia.” Harrivetta says as she bows to her.

 

Only after the aunt walks ostentatiously towards the chair and sits down does she state her reason for coming here.

 

“But I beg your pardon, I did not simply come to say my good mornings to you.” The aunt explains. “As you know, maestro Salayev himself will be arriving today, and my job as a teacher will unfortunately end. However, there is a surprise. From this day on, I will start teaching you both the art of dance!”

 

As she said those words, the aunt was looking at mine and Harrivetta’s surprised faces.

I suppose she desired a more enthusiastic reaction, but we were simply too occupied with her smiling face.

It appeared like she waited for someone to clap or to congratulate her on her idea, but that didn’t happen.

 

“I suppose it would not be a terrible notion to have Davithea and Gorgie learn from a young age.” Harrivetta ponders as she looks around and then at her aunt.

“I wasn’t really thinking about the little darlings.” The aunt states. “It’s you and Pyrecilla I had in mind. After all there is the open house party organised by Granostrias. You wouldn’t want to miss the first dance, wouldn't you ladies?”

“I have received my manner lessons before already.” Harrivetta informs. “Would it be a waste to focus time on unimportant matters? The fortepiano remains my aim.”

“A moment wouldn’t hurt in order to remember the basics, would it? Besides you must know that I would feel restless if I wouldn’t make sure of your success.” The aunt says. “That is why we must practise and practise again until we are sure of the results dear Harrivetta.”

“Yet, practise we do, and the results show no issues, do they?” Harrivetta states, making a serious face. “I thank you in my name and Pyrecilla that you allowed us your time, but there is only this much you could do. Rest is up to us.”

“I also agree with what Harrivetta stated.” I nod. “We appreciate that you care for us, but do understand our focus is on music primarily. Spreading out talent would be unwise.”

“But Pyrecilla, do tell if you can.” The aunt turns towards me. “Did your mother properly take care of that? Who was your teacher? I believe you are at the perfect age now, so I suppose that is only natural to expect.”

 

During the conversation between Gnezevia and Harrivetta, my friend managed to avoid extra lessons.

However, I had to say a single word which caused the aunt to change her focus toward me.

Since I haven’t yet received any training in proper etiquette, or had a governess teach me of practices of the high class,

I can’t simply say that I am clueless to such rules as I did study some books on those subjects.

Just knowledge doesn’t transfer well to the physical abilities of the body however,

and it is true that if I were to decline it wouldn’t profit for my reputation at the open house.

 

Therefore, I decide to explain my decision to Harrivetta later, when I will get the chance.

 

“I apologise, but would it be possible for me to learn the dance with Harrivetta?” I ask the aunt.

“Of course my darling Pyrecilla, as long as you are able to convince her as well.” The aunt smiles.

“What is the meaning of such decision Pyrecilla?” Harrivetta asks me.

“Later I shall tell you.” I whisper to her.

“Can I also join with Gorgie?” Davithea asks, raising her and the boy’s hands.

“That would be splendid indeed.” Aunt claps her hands. ”But you are both too young to learn with your older lady friends. However, I suppose I will think of something, understood?”

“Of course! I want to watch Harrie dance too.” Davithea says.

Gorgie also nods.

“Then how about we start now? It would be a good time as any, and besides we haven’t much time till the open house.” The aunt explains.

“Then I will take care of Pyrecilla.” Harrivetta says as she grabs my hand.

“That would be fair, please go ahead Harrivetta.” I say as I exit through the door with Harrivetta.

 

With the tall blond lady leading me down the stairs, the other follows towards the music room.

Besides having a wall that is good for acoustics, it also has fair space for dance practise.

We open the door and enter the room with only the instruments present inside.

Carrying out the violin would be possible but as for the fortepiano it really wouldn’t.

There are no wheels, and it might weigh a lot, so I suppose at least several men would have to carry it.

Yet I don’t think the aunt is planning on that, since we have enough room I suppose.

 

“Now that we are here, let us start.” Aunt claps.

 

Clapping is her usual way to get our attention, so me and Harrivetta are used to that gesture.

 

“I presume some directions are in order?” Harrivetta tilts her head.

“I might be not in the place to say that as you were the one that volunteered to teach her, did you not darling Harrivetta?” The aunt states. “And do not worry about the measure, I had predicted this place would be most sufficient for our needs, especially that it has a fortepiano.”

“Yes, a tempo would be appreciated.” I nod, beckoning Harrivetta to come closer.

“Then Pyrecilla, would you like me to lead?” Harrivetta asks me.

 

Knowing my abilities it would be more safe that my friend would be the leading partner.

In the case of dances there are various rules that say how to perform the proper moves gracefully and in what order.

That includes asking the lady for a dance, the correct way to hold her hand and how much time is suitable for a single pair to be together.

Right now what is important, in terms of manners, is that Harrivetta is taller than me,

so she is supposed to be the leading role. Naturally gents would take that position due to their height as well,

but as for practise is it passable that two ladies would be dancing together as a pair.

 

Above that, because there are various combinations, during certain dances the ladies also hold hands with each other,

and the proper way to do it with a fellow madam is different from how you are supposed to join hands with a gentleman.

If this much complexity is already written in the book without pictures I wouldn’t imagine how confusing it must be in reality.

 

As I face my partner, the aunt starts playing the fortepiano and I feel my feet already moving on their own.

I do recall this simple melody, which is easy to follow, thus I don’t practically have problems.

The only issue is that I worry that I will trip in these heels, and cause disgrace for myself.

Yet, I have no choice but to trust my partner as she stands by my side in the starting position.

 

“I have never danced formally before.” I whisper to Harrivetta, hold out my hand to her.

“That would put you in the same situation as me.” Harrivetta responds, taking my hand.

“But I digress, the time last I had the opportunity was a long ago.” I mention.

“Hence the anxious mood, correct?” She tells me to my ear.

“Because I rather had you started with the basics.” I reply.

“I wouldn’t be able to assert your ability then.” She replies as we take steps.

 

This is indeed something I remember from a long time ago. Actually, it was school,

and I only had the opportunity to do this particular dance once in my entire lifetime.

Not that it is anything special but I suppose in this world the basics are very similar.

You have a triple tempo and for every first beat you have to kneel slightly down, while taking a longer step.

The remaining two steps are performed naturally, with reasonable length and posture straighten up.

 

And then we have various combinations which include pairs joining into fours,

moving below the tunnel, as in below raised hands of fellow pairs, then doing the tunnel with your partner,

kneeling down and doing a circle, although that one is only for gents, and so on.

It is a dance that requires the entire house to participate, but so far we have only two able dancers I think.

Davithea and Gorgie appear to be interested in seeing me and Harrivetta practise, but they only watch for now.

If this was anything like the rehearsal remember, we would have a full room to perform all the combinations.

 

“I was worried, but you follow my step with grace.” Harrivetta mutters me.

“If I said I used to watch my mother as a child, would you believe me?” I ask her, whispering.

“Perhaps, but your tempo is quite astonishing, and you adjust to the height of your partner.” Harrivetta points out. “The proper should be the opposite.”

“I suppose you are right. I feel like I shouldn’t be this familiarized, yet it comes hard for me to accept my own ability.” I tell her to her ear.

“It was a long time, was it?” Harrivetta asks me.

“It was a brief moment of joy.” I tell her. “But only because others were happy too.”

 

I still remember that day when we danced at school. It was truly an experience once in a lifetime.

But how I would remember it to this day, with motions and the rhythm on top of that?

The answer to that question is probably that everyone else was in joy, including me.

We achieved something great, something that can’t be repeated, and something that can’t be explained to others.

Being a part of that moment felt like a scene from a novel was happening and I was a part of it.

 

Yet, as I am now, that time is comparable with our trip to the lake the other day, with Minorta, Harrivetta and others.

 

“Your confidence alone would have not said enough about how skilled of a dancer you truly are, Harrivetta.” I whisper to her.

“The words humble me.” Harrivetta mutters me back. “Would you foolishly blush again if I states the same could be said about you?”

“No, I don’t mind.” I answer to her. “It’s since my mind is focused.”

“At times like this, I was left wondering.” Harrivetta informs me. “What is that you think of? Is there a way you could tell me?”

“To say I do not notice my mind being absent at times would be unreasonable.” I explain. “It would be fine to say I live between two different worlds, but that is alone is obvious if you consider my mother’s reputation.”

 

As we danced and moved through the room, Davithea and Gorgie decided to join us.

They would follow us from behind, but the aunt stopped them and asked not to intervene.

And furthermore, because of that we all decided we would take a small break.

 

“So my darling ladies, are you eager to hear my opinion?” The aunt asks us. “It is splendid! At least for your first day. I see no reason why you two shouldn’t keep practicing since the date of the open party is upcoming very soon.”

“Suppose if we have more dancers to practise with.” I say, catching breath.

“Aye, I concur that you would also let Davithea and Gorgie join.” Harrivetta says.

“For them there is still so much time, wouldn’t you agree, little darlings?” The aunt replies.

“I want to learn it now!” Davithea states.

The boy nods after the girl.

“Then I suppose I will have to spend some time with you two personally to teach you the basics.” Aunt ponders. “What would you say if you were to come during the morning? No, that wouldn’t work.”

“Then what of the time we would practise music?” Harrivetta asks.

“That time I would miss the precious time with maestro Salayev!” The aunt exclaims. “That would be disastrous, don’t you think ladies? Besides there has to be some other way, let me think and then I will tell you.”

 

The aunt walks around the room, having her mind deep in thought while me and Harrivetta sit down.

In the meantime Davithea and Gorgie decide to practise on their own, following our example.

They lack the music assistance, so their steps are a little chaotic, but the boy tries his best.

 

“Worried about your mother?” Harrivetta whispers to me. “Must be difficult to admit, even if I’m your friend.”

“I overreacted, I apologise.” I slightly bow. “Must I always be this short minded and spoil the mood?”

“Says the person who asked me for a dance.” Harrivetta hides her mouth as she chuckles.

“Then do tell, have you enjoyed our time on the stage?” I ask her.

“And who or what would tell you that I didn’t?” Harrivetta smiles at me, putting her palm under her chin while crossing her legs. “You ask such simple questions, despite that you read books for scholars.”

“I suppose that’s right.” I nod in embarrassment. “But I plead, hear me out this time.”

 

The two of us, sitting down on chairs, engaged in a conversation about personal affairs.

Despite that I know from experience that those topics aren’t always going smoothly and as one can predict,

the words I wanted to tell my friend were completely my own worries for the future.

 

I haven’t much to look back at, in terms of school days or the period when I wanted to enter into adulthood during my past life.

But one thing I learned was that past college, I discovered how important it is to properly study the information.

Yet, from just books I wouldn’t be able to know if I was able to dance with Harrivetta or not.

Therefore, it is that knowledge alone is not enough, the beauty of the language is also important.

 

The books you read, the video you watch will also dictate what person you eventually become as an adult.

That is to say, if as a child you liked fiction because it gave you the opportunity to escape the world,

in later years you wouldn’t even be able to discover everyone living outside your own mind.

That happened to me with Virtual Reality which made into a person that couldn’t interact with anyone outside of it.

Technically it is not just that, but many preceding books, movies and media that sold me on the idea of a virtual world.

 

But even now I can’t say that fiction isn’t important. It teaches morality and social norms, among other things.

Yet, if you think that solely relying on knowledge of the books you can find yourself better off than others, it’s not really like that.

As I would enter into social contact I found myself undergoing it differently, unlike others, through fiction rather than real life experiences.

Those beautiful words carried me as if it was the script and I was an actor reading my lines on a stage.

That’s how I imagine anyone would feel when the world surrounding them is turned into pages of books.

 

But that was my old self, and I no longer feel like inside of a novel now, since I decided to get rid of my past.

The only worry I have is my mother, who I want to protect and who I love so dearly.

She gave me my life and I suppose for a daughter it’s only proper to repay her mother, despite I can’t do much.

So instead I decide to turn to my friend, because I know saying nothing would make her only worry.

 

“My mother’s reputation.” I tell Harrivetta in a silent voice. “I wish to improve it to a better state, but I have my doubts about what I should do.”

“Understood. So there are things you don’t know?” Harrivetta whispers to me. “First, what do you suppose to do?”

“I presume firstly I will make my debut at the open party.” I whisper to her. “There I will find the gossipers and present them my best. A proper and good-mannered daughter couldn’t come from an ignominious house, wouldn’t she?”

“A sound thinking, I suppose.” Harrivetta ponders. “And I will support you too.”

“Thank you Harrivetta. That means much to me.” I say as I bow down.

 

As we were talking the aunt returned with a face in distress. Something happened, I thought.

Outside, thought the door she opened, I could see maids assembling in the main hall.

This could mean only one thing, that the foretold maestro, Bahik Salayev, arrived at our mansion.

0