13-0
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was inside of a carriage, sitting down, looking through the window at the silent white horizon.

 

“Are you most certain everything is in order?” Sergiey asks his wife.

“There is no worry for I have checked it twice.” Abbayeva replies.

“Are the spare dresses packed in as well?” Sergiey inquires.

“Is it so, without doubt honey.” Abbayeva nods.

“And the makeup supplies?” Sergiey questions.

“That is also in the truck, two sets to be precise.” Abbayeva assures.

“And most of all, the shoes! I can’t imagine the disaster if your heel broke.” Sergiey mentions.

“It is fine honey, do not worry this much.” Abbayeva smiles.

“Why I wouldn’t be? It is the most important day!” Sergiey states.

“For our daughter perhaps, so I beg that would not bring up harrowing prospects for her sake.” Abbayeva pleads.

“I suppose if that is the case then I will be more mindful, my love.” Sergiey nods.

 

Because I already boarded the carriage I could hear Harrivetta’s parents talking outside.

I thought about going in first since I was told there was little time left before we had to leave.

It is afternoon, and it is quite sunny, but the road is long and I don’t know if we will be able to arrive for dinner time.

After all, the open party at Granostries is one important event me and my friend were looking forward to.

 

Me and Harrivetta were preparing our instruments and our beauty in the meantime.

I must say, the grace of my blond friend is something quite impressive, a blinding radiance of a stunning lady.

Compared to me, she looks simply gorgeous, but I definitely didn’t want to lose to her today.

My dress is no weaker in terms of design and my medium braided red hair, fashioned with a frilly headdress, completes the attire.

But because of our different tastes, I would say it is only fitting for the shorter one to appear more innocent.

Although, the foundation makeup and dim lipstick I’m wearing should raise my apparent age a little higher.

 

That is of course my strategy. All proper ladies should think about planning, especially before entering society.

The more the appearance is closer to perfect, the more respect you are going to get.

At least, that is what Harrivetta stated, I think, when I talked with her about fashion.

Speaking of my friend, she is the first one to board the carriage after me, with the help of her father.

 

“Harrivetta, you look stunning.” I compliment her as she enters.

“Likewise Pyrecilla.” She replies as she sits down, shielding her drill hair.

“I must say I am a little nervous about the heels.” I tell her. “How long would I be able to stand in these shoes is a question I haven’t answered yet.”

“Then you shall discover by trail.” Harrivetta smiles. “Besides a lady won’t be forced to stand with all the gents around, would she?”

“You know how to restore the mood, Harrivetta.” I giggle. “But my previous words I meant to ask how long do I have to wait for me to grow as tall as you.”

“You still have the chance.” Harrivetta assures. “We are only about two years apart, but the growth sprout differs for individuals.”

“Yet, I feel more like a child playing with makeup.” I confess. “It is for mother’s sake, thus I can only hope the guests would be gentle with the sentiments.”

“And yet, no matter the prevalence I can’t have you to think of something pleasant, instead of worrying all the time.” Harrivetta states. “Do please tell if I’m doing something wrong?”

“If you ask so, then I must apologise.” I bob to her.

“Yet apology from you is frequent, and without effect.” Harrivetta says, crossing her legs. “To impress me you have to do better, Pyrecilla.”

“Perhaps I should do so.” I admit with my head down. ”Then let’s talk no more, not to spoil the mood.”

 

The short conversation with my friend was about my worries, the one thing my fragile mind seems to spread irresponsibly.

It is certain that for my visit is only a partial debut to the society, as I’m not in the marriageable age yet.

Because of that I start thinking ahead, at the adult me instead of simply taking the moment slowly.

And one part of me wants to preserve the idea of youthful joy, while the other desires to become more mature like Harrivetta.

 

Because those two sides clash, sometimes I speak of things that are of little matter,

yet it is of great importance to me. Perhaps it is that the presence of my friend compels me to act.

Perhaps it is that I never received any formal training in manners, taught by my mother or someone suitable.

But if this is my individual charm, then that asset should be put to good use at the open party.

 

At least I hope I will make a good impression, despite that I’m also supposed to enjoy myself.

 

“Then it is okay to go.” A voice says outside. “The lovely ladies are inside already, aren’t they?”

“Yes, mister Salayev.” A maid’s voice answers.

 

The curtain opens and our maestro enters the carriage. He is dressed in a frock,

but his natural charming hair is preserved, since he is not wearing a hat.

It is rare to see a male individual outside with one, especially during the winter, but he is a bit eccentric.

 

“Fine ladies, I pardon my late arrival.” Salayev bows. “I had the violin polished again, Pyrecilla. The maid is carrying it now.”

“Thank you maestro, I appreciate the gesture.” I bow to him.

“Now miss Harrivetta, I presume you know you will have to confirm the fortepiano at the site?” Salayev turns to my friend.

“I am aware, you can be assured.” Harrivetta nods.

“Then my fine ladies we only have to hope everything goes right.” Salayev says. “But who I am to doubt your abilities, of course it will go without an affair. Quite yes, I can only imagine the people in the audience and their faces.”

“Of course, we shall not disappoint you maestro Salayev.” I tell him.

“Yet do remember that mentioning from where the piece comes is a no good gesture.” Salayev mentions. “I can’t be already this popular while I still create music, it is quite bothersome really. Most of the musical artists only ripe after passing their period of greatness.”

“Be assured that we won’t mention a word.” Harrivetta tells him.

“Then what remains is to wait for the recital from the two fine ladies.” Salayev sighs. “It must be quite stressful to perform at such a young age, but do not make a mistake. It’s not just you two, but many other families will do the competing so to speak.”

“I suppose that is true.” I nod.

“But the pressure of the audience with parents on the seats, the pursuit of perfection during practise and the imagination of one on the stage in front of others.” Salayev recites. “All this combined into the song of the fields and the struggle against nature, not just against the wind but the human element as well. All this is the result of my decision to breathe in this air of inspiration! Do not lose hope, never!”

“We are glad that we helped.” Harrivetta adds.

 

Before the maestro stops talking about his passion, the aunt and parents appear.

They board the carriage and sit down, listening and not saying a word until the man stops.

 

“And that’s why I wish others would see the potential in the simple mind, instead of looking at them with contempt.” Salayev says.

“Yes, that was an interesting and most splendid speech, mister Salayev.” The aunt says. “I must say I do agree with the notion of mutual understanding.”

“A brave endeavour, the path in the middle and the future that awaits the united world.” The father adds.

“I wish it was a truth, more than an ideal.” Salayev responds.

“Yes, the world is still not ready for such innovative thinking, despite the industry development.” The aunt speaks. “It would take many years before our civilization will understand the basic human nature and its needs.”

“It would be most interesting times to live through, if the Goddess allows.” The mother says.

 

The group of adults continuing their conversation have many things to say.

Yet, all the words transpire to nothing, to no resolution or change of heart.

They discussion is simply a matter of exchanging individual options between the parties,

and since the aunt is an enthusiast of Salayev, and that he is a guest, it is only kind to agree with him.

 

Those issues are often discussed when none of the parties have anything worthy to say.

And perhaps, should they appear more interesting for me, I would think about voicing my mind.

But as a young lady, much like Harrivetta, it is more proper to nod when asked a question for a complex mind.

Anything but stating the most obvious truth would be going outside of the comfort of the conversation.

That is to say, if one would disagree to an opinion, the consequences could be dire,

not just the spoilage of the mood, but also the interpersonal relationships between other people could end up damaged.

That is why it is smart to keep the gates open, with the guise of a mildly informed lady.

 

Saying so, the carriage is finally starting and the mansion slowly floats from my vision.

Only the snow that coats the farmland calmly would be our partner during the trip.

A long way awaits us before we arrive at our destination and quite frankly I already feel a little sleepy.

 

“Are you fine Pyrecilla?” Harrivetta asks me.

“A little tired.” I respond.

 

I remember clearly the last night before our trip. I was in my room, a little anxious.

It was too cold for my tiny body and I wanted to read something before the bed,

but no matter the position or the blanket, the words didn’t ease my mind.

Therefore I decided that I would leave the room and go somewhere warmer.

That’s when I found myself looking around the mansion, through the window in the corridors,

and then finally at the door, which I later discovered that led to a friend’s room.

 

“Excuse me.” I said as I slowly opened the door.

 

But there was no answer, it appeared that this was a vacant room, with no one in.

Except when I looked around, the lamp was doused and I couldn’t have noticed a young lady in the bed at first.

Only when I slowly crawl my way in does she turn around, still tucked in covers, and move her mouth.

 

“Umm?” Harrivetta said.

“I pardon, are you sleeping?” I ask.

“Not particularly.” Harrivetta whispers.

“Then I will excuse myself.” I say heading for the door.

“Could you wait?” Harrivetta pleads.

 

Before I could voice my disapproval I noticed that she stretched her arm towards me.

I only had light clothes underneath the blanket and carried a book.

Going back was not going to work well for me, and I would have preferred to stay.

But that also meant reading would be impossible without lighting a lamp and I wouldn’t want to interrupt Harrivetta’s slumber.

Therefore my only reasonable choice was to comply with the request and stay.

 

“Are you cold?” Harrivetta asks.

“This room is quite warm compared to mine.” I explain.

“Why not join?” Harrivetta makes space for me on the bed.

“I would be a bother.” I say.

“You came here.” Harrivetta says.

“I pardon, I was having difficulties.” I reply.

“Then let me help.” Harrivetta suggests.

“I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep.” I state.

“You would, you always sleep so peacefully.” Harrivetta says with a smile.

 

Before I am able to cover my red face with a book, I turn around and shiver a little.

The blanket I was carrying drops to the ground and my diminutive body is revealed to Harrivetta.

I can only imagine what she is thinking, but I don’t have the courage to face her.

Instead I walk backwards, and with a step or two, I touch the bed with the heel of my foot.

 

I feel the cover with my hand as I pick it up and slide myself inside, all while Harrivetta watches me.

Now that we are both tucked in I notice how her warmth spreads throughout the mattress.

A force like the gravity of the sun that pulls me in, and my tiny and flimsy body is captured within the orbit.

I can’t escape her hand that finds it way on my hips, gently inviting me to come closer.

 

That moment is as if my entire mind came to a stop and during the blackout my body started to ignite.

It was on fire, itching and reacting in a way that was unfamiliar to me before.

I couldn’t tell whenever I was experiencing an embarrassing moment or one filled with pleasure.

 

“Your body is quite thin, do you eat well?” Harrivetta asks.

“Em, I suppose?” I reply dizzy.

“Perhaps you should tell your maid to allow you breathe more.” Harrivetta suggests.

“No, the corset is fine.” I say while curing my legs upwards.

“It is almost the size of Davithea’s.” Harrivetta giggles as her body wiggles around to get closer to mine.

“I am surprisingly a low maintenance woman.” I state blushing.

“I would say so too.” Harrivetta tells me into my ear.

My eyes open wide as I say “Yet a little too easy to break.” startled.

“And your skin is silky smooth.” Harrivetta states as her forehead rubs against the back of my neck.

“I take good care of it during the bath.” I say as a chill runs down my spine.

“Aye, you are a behaving young lady.” Harrivetta whispers to me, as her hands envelop me.

“Is this needed?” I reply as a sweat drops from my forehead.

 

Never had I experienced the chill this great inside of the bed, tucked under many covers.

Never had my body refused to answer to my directions, instead opting for wanting more.

Never had I thought that my friend’s feminine physique would appeal to my imagination.

 

This was wrong, this wasn’t the feeling that I would accept as a young lady.

Further, I was just a guest, not a plaything for Harrivetta’s curious oddity.

There was no sentiment, no touch in how she would treat my lightly clothed body.

But it wasn’t just because of her fancy. There was a reason why I wouldn’t state my denial.

It compelled me to play along, trying to bend to her touch as much as I could endure.

 

“Are you well?” I ask as I calm down.

“It appears so.” She answers.

“Then should we rest for tomorrow, I would be grateful.” I explain.

“As you say miss Pyrecilla.” She whispers to me.

“Will behave then and reclaim your composure?” I question.

“Perhaps, but what of giving up on the arguments of the mind?” Harrivetta says as her hand slides towards my upper body.

“Because the heart is a weak and feeble asset, please don’t.” I reply.

“And yet, you follow it more than anything.” Harrivetta states. “Thus, as an individual you can’t simply accept your weakness, but escape.”

“As humans are naturally, with no expectations.” I say, a little worried.

“But it is the confinement that makes one realize their faults.” Harrivetta adds as she squeezes my petite body. “What would you do if you won’t be able to run any longer? Will you turn back and face your troubles head on?”

“You are…one…persistent lady.” I bleat weakly as I try to escape.

“Tell me if I hurt you, if I touched upon something you disagree with.” Harrivetta murmurs as her finger traces a line from my neck line to my chin.

“In a bit unkindly manner, yes.” I add as my lips become dry.

“Then, I apologise, I will keep quiet.” She puts the finger on my lips. “I will see you in the morning.”

 

And as my mouth was silenced completely, the tall blond lady turned around, leaving me alone.

Only her back rubbed against my, as we both found ourselves comfortable.

Our eyes would not meet, but again, I imagined what she was thinking about in my mind.

 

Her family raised her as a member of the high society, a perfect lady ready to be married off.

That is at least my impression, but she doesn’t appear to have other choices as a woman.

Therefore, she rebelled in her own way, by becoming a mother and creating her own family.

She must have been feeling that, while embracing and caressing me in the bed this night.

It was not just Davithea, I discovered, but a bond with me, since I allowed myself to become close to her as a friend.

 

But yet, it was also my own idea for her to focus on herself, instead of fixing her own family.

Her dad will never acknowledge her achievements, her kind heart and her individual qualities.

Her aunt always prefers the little ones, like Gorgie and Davithea and doesn’t give her attention.

Her older sisters are making her upset since they lead a materialistic and petty lifestyle.

Even further, her own mother, her role model as a parent is as quiet as a mouse and always complies with what others say.

 

It is true that I can’t imagine how much of a stress would cause being a member of a family like that.

However, I do know one thing, that her situation isn’t that different from my own example.

In my previous life I had the pleasure of going through an experience that was the divorce of my parents.

It wasn’t the most enjoyable childhood, as I was unable to do anything.

Completely hopeless, I was scared of what will become of me, my house and my future.

Never as a person had I gone through similar traumatic experiences such as that of my parent’s divorce.

 

But when the dust settled, when my father remarried, and I found friends at my new school,

I thought everything was going to be fine, that the period was just temporary.

And yet, I couldn’t forget. No matter what the shrinks told me, what my parents told me,

what I told to myself, I was unable to forget about the past that haunted me every night.

 

That’s why I can empathize with Harrivetta without speaking a single word.

That’s why I can endure her familiarity with me, despite it being a strange feeling.

That’s why I am there for her, as a little sister, despite not being related.

 

“Excuse me.” A voice from the outside says.

 

And before I am able to sleep, we get two more little visitors, that enter without knocking.

Before me or Harrivetta could protest, there were now four bodies on the bed, with the addition of Davithea and Gorgie.

Somehow, despite it being crammed, I managed to fall asleep and enjoy my dream.

I remember it being quite comfortable, yet I don’t recall any details about it.

It was something about a homely feeling, a fireplace that was warm and relaxing.

 

“Pardon miss.” I hear a voice again.

 

This time it wasn’t the dream or my reminisce of the night, it was someone telling me to awake.

Apparently I doze off, along with Harrivetta, both having our shoulders support each other’s bodies mutually.

In this position I noticed that my friend was not quite awake yet, so I could enjoy her sleepy face.

What a sight it was, gazing at her gentle eyes, that divulged her defencelessness,

and velvety lips, that hinted an adult appearance, were under a spell that made them childlike instead.

 

Compared to how she looks daily, this pleasant surprise for me was hard to resist.

I would like to imprint this moment into my mind forever, but it’s rather not possible.

It would be unreasonable to play with her face if she is like this, though I have a desire to,

since first she is rather hopeless, and second, I wouldn’t want to ruin her face makeup.

Therefore, as much as I think she would forgive me afterwards, I decide to just continue sitting with my shoulder supporting her.

 

Occasionally there is a sound of mumbling, followed by snoring coming from her mouth.

But that ceases as the carriage stops and my eyes open wide to find that we must have arrived.

 

“Pardon miss!” Someone says outside.

“Good to see you.” A stranger says.

“You look splendid.” A gentleman mentions.

“I have not seen you for so long.” An older person voices.

“As you wish master.” A maid speaks.

“Thank you, love.” A wife responds.

 

It appears that the outside is teeming with excitement, as I open the curtain to see many people talking.

There are maids, elegant ladies and gentlemen walking towards the great main doors.

It is a mansion of a similar size to the one Harrivetta lives in, although there is also a frontal garden and a fountain.

I can’t tell how much money this cost, but neither do I am aware how much nobles earn.

 

As I was looking outside, inside of the carriage Harrivetta’s family and Salayev were preparing to disembark.

And in that time it also appears that my friend started moving, which could only mean that she is awake now.

 

“So we have arrived.” The father states. “Isn’t the view gorgeous?”

“Why yes, it is splendid my dear. I have yet to embrace the interior, which I can only imagine would be most wonderful.” The mother responds.

“And why wait if we can go now?” The father adds.

“We might be a little late, but only fashionably.” The aunt adds.

“Then after you ladies.” The father says as he helps out his wife and sister out of the carriage.

“Are you two ladies awake?” Salayev asks the two of us.

“Of course, I opened my eyes a while ago.” I answer.

“That is also true in my case.” Harrivetta states.

“Then allow me.” Salayev gets up and helps us out the carriage.

 

Much like the father, the maestro makes a gentleman’s gesture and assists us .

Standing after this long of a rest is quite difficult, as my uneasy legs find themselves on the pavement.

After me, Harrivetta gets off and now we both have to make it towards the massive doors.

There are stairs we have to climb and many people going inside, mainly adults.

However, there are some individual young ladies and gents seen within the crowd.

I understand that this was an open party, and I didn’t expect absolutely everyone to make their appearance.

I frankly do not know the names of these people, yet I’m supposed to perform before them.

 

“Now the schedule would be gentle for you ladies.” Salayev tells us. “So, after some time from now, opening dance will commence the party officially. First one is for the adults and then there will be one for the younger guests. Next you will be free to do as you please, I would suggest eating.”

“That is fair.” I nod.

“As one could expect yes.” Harrivetta adds.

“Only after the evening will there be anything interesting happening.” Salayev mentions. “It’s not a competition but rather a show of talent. Music is only one category, do remember.”

“Aye, we are prepared.” Harrivetta assures.

“That is still quite the time.” I add.

“But of course, you will have some time to prepare before the recital.” Salayev explains. “Just ask a maid for a room, that’s what I would do.”

“I pardon, but what do you intend on doing in the meanwhile?” Harrivetta asks.

“My oh my, I suppose I will entertain guests and follow etiquette.” Salayev scratches his head. “Worry not ladies, I am sure the adventure will find me, as it always does. Just don’t be too curious or you might draw attention to me, and I wouldn’t like that.”

“That would be so, but only if we manage to keep Harrivetta’s aunt from looking for you long enough.” I giggle.

“Sounds unlikely I suppose. Good fortune maestro Salayev.” Harrivetta bows.

 

And with the man waving at us, he disappears in the crowd, trying to blend in with the elegant guests.

As for us two, we have little choice but to enter and look for a side room using a maid.

It would be most beneficial for us if we already have one booked, especially for the pianist.

If there is a specific music room in the mansion, then that’s where we should go.

 

“Well now Harrivetta, I suppose we should find the music room.” I suggest as we climb the front steps.

“Then be it so, I will comply with the plan.” Harrivetta answers as she holds her dress with one hand.

“To tell you more, I believe the maid would be in use here.” I tell her.

“Aye, considering the competence that is evident from sheer numbers of servants, the maid should be also knowledgeable about your baggage as well.” Harrivetta nods.

“Then let us see if you were correct.” I say as we move further into the interior.

 

As we enter the main hall, I look for a maid that would be free and able to use.

There are some that wait near the hallway, thus I decide to greet them and talk.

 

“Excuse us, we are looking for the music room.” I tell her.

“Very well, may I have your names young ladies?” The maid bows.

“It is Pyrecilla Abronova, and she is Harrivetta Francishia.” I announce while I drop a crusty.

“It is a pleasure.” Harrivetta drops a crusty after me.

“My most humble thanks for visiting us.” The maid bows again. “I have been informed of lady Francishia’s request. The room is over there, please follow.”

 

Because there was no other following us, me and Harrivetta suddenly found ourselves secluded.

The corridor we were going through was most gorgeously decorated with pieces of furniture and a red carpet.

However, only the three of the ladies were present in this otherwise eerie location.

Compared to the main hall, it was strangely silent and no one would even know we were here.

 

After some time, as we reach our destination, the double doors open for us wide.

There are chairs, a fortepiano on the stage, and all the lamps are lit.

It has no windows however, so it is a little dim in comparison to other sides of the mansion.

 

That is to say, we wouldn’t be able to tell the time without a clock or a sun if we would stay there.

 

“The violin of Miss Pyrecilla was delivered here as well.” The maid points out.

“That would be sufficient.” I nod.

“Is there anything else I could be of assistance, young ladies?” The maid asks us.

“I presume this room has everything, but it would be appreciated if we knew the time.” I add.

“I will make notice when the opening dance will begin.” The maid assures me.

“At least fifteen minutes in advance if you could.” I plead.

“Of course miss Pyrecilla. I will pay mind to the time.” The maid bows to me.

“Then Pyrecilla, have you any other wish before we start?” Harrivetta asks me.

“I suppose no, but I hope we can practise in peace.” I assert.

“This room is reinforced that sound does not escape, be not worried.” The maid states.

“Then if you excuse us.” I bow, and Harrivetta does the same after me.

“Be sure to call me at any time if there is anything needed, young ladies.” The maid excuses herself and leaves the room.

 

After a small talk with the maid working in this house, we managed to find the music room.

It is probably a little smaller than I imagined, but naturally it’s rather well furnished.

However, instead of admiring the interior, I decided to focus on the practise, move to the stage, and take out my rosewood violin from the case.

Now that I think of it, perhaps if we stay here too long, I might ask the maid for water and snacks.

I haven’t eaten yet and we still have some time before the first dance, and the dinner afterwards.

 

“Nothing appears to be damaged.” I say as I try pulling on the strings.

“A little tuning perhaps?” Harrivetta says as she listens.

“Yes, I suppose the G is a little high.” I notice when I try again.

“Aye, it’s better now.” Harrivetta nods.

“Then, it is my turn next.” I state.

 

When Harrivetta tries to play the fortepiano it produces a different sound than expected.

 

“I suppose it is the room, or the instrument itself.” She says.

“There is something unusual about it, yet I am not quite sure what is the issue.” I say pondering.

“Could you move and to the audience seats?” Harrivetta suggests.

“I shall do that, if it’s any better.” I reply.

 

As I do, I notice that from the other side of the room, the fortepiano sounds slightly dull.

 

“It’s no better.” I tell her.

“Then I might have to look inside.” Harrivetta says.

 

The blond girl raises the cover and examines the strings, the wooden elements and the dampers.

Next she focuses her attention towards the turning pins. Tuning it might take some time,

I discover, as Harrivetta has to manually find the right tune based on her ears only.

 

“This will take time.” Harrivetta discovers with a downcast face. “How long since this was used last? Must have been years.”

“It is that terrible?” I reply in surprise.

“I presume only because I’m not familiar with this type of fortepiano.” Harrivetta explains. “Alas, do not fret. With some skill It will be ready in time.”

“Then let me search for assistance.” I suggest.

“That wouldn’t be needed.” Harrivetta shakes her head. “Be it a maid, or a butler, helpful they will not be.”

“I was thinking of maestro.” I explain.

“The man who told us not to look for him?” Harrivetta tilts his head.

“The maid said this room is secluded, a perfect place for his fancy.” I add.

“Must it be so, please do find him quickly if possible.” Harrivetta tells me. “He wouldn’t appreciate the attention, neither of the maid or those looking for him.”

“I will remain discreet about the matter.” I bow. “But be sure I will return soon, with suitable help or without.”

 

And due to the circumstances I decided to search for the man who would be hiding somewhere among the crowd.

Of course, it is easy to find a person if you ask a maid for assistance, but that shortcut is not permitted.

Instead I have to walk all the way through the corridor, find the ballroom, and look around there.

If I don't find Salayev anywhere, there is also the opinion of asking someone else knowledgeable in music.

The problem is however, I don’t know anyone from the guests that would fit that description.

Therefore I am really out of opinions, while Harrivetta is fighting against the time.

 

Perhaps I should just go back and help her with tuning the fortepiano myself.

But I am quite sure what I would be able to do in order to speed up the process.

Every single key must be examined separately, and always take quite some time.

Further, without any tools it is harder to do, since the ear does not always recognize the tone perfectly.

 

Besides, now that I think of it, I rather spend my first open party outside, rather than locked in the room.

Maybe I can get Harrivetta to walk with me and meet other people if I can get the maestro to stay in the music room, I ponder.

 

Finally, after following the guests I enter the salon. It is a spacious room full of people.

There are white tables, chairs and ever so helpful service of butlers and maids.

The nobles are dressed quite fashionably, but I also discover that some aren’t.

I presume that they might be the part of the new upper-middle class, a cast of successful businessmen.

The gents of that kind don modest frocks, while the ladies prefer elegant and not showing dresses.

 

“Hey!” I hear someone.

“It is nice seeing you.” I hear someone else.

“A fine afternoon to have you visit us.” Yet another person says.

“It’s been some time.” Again, someone says.

“I thought you wouldn’t come.” Yet more people talking.

“How have you been?” Someone says.

“You should try this compote.” A lady says.

“It is getting quite late.” A man says.

“One moment please.” A young girl's voice says.

 

There are many people talking, and only a few looking at me or moving in general.

The guests simply pick a company and engage in conversations just about anything.

There is of course a limit to how much of someone’s time you can take before you bore them,

and therefore it is proper to switch between groups if the conversation isn’t going anywhere.

That is to say, as I’m still looking for the person, there is a voice coming from behind me.

 

“Excuse me lady.” Someone says to me.

“Yes, I pardon?” I reply after turning.

 

It appears that the girl who wanted my attention bares a familiar face.

It’s a friend from the school, and I can only recognize her thanks to her features,

the glasses she wears and the plum pigtails, which are today fashioned with most beautiful ribbons.

 

“What a surprise, Shishe!” I say as I discover her identity.

“Is this really you Pyrecilla?” Shishe tilts her head. “I’m sorry I have caused your confusion. Of course it’s me, Shishe. I’m just really surprised that I found you here.”

“That at least is a relief to my ears.” I say with my petite hand on my chest.

“I must say I haven’t met you in quite some time too. How have you been?” Shishe asks.

“It was quite some time.” I drop a crusty at her. “I have been visiting Harrivetta during my winter break. It’s been a wonderful time, you can imagine.”

“Besides that, I suppose what I want to say first, before you talk about anything, that your dress looks quite elegant yet humble.” Shishe says as she fixes her glasses. “It is a collaboration of youthful colours that combines the maturity of a lady and her cheerfulness. I absolutely adore the headdress which fits with your braided hairstyle. Oh, and besides, the long gloves makes me think of opera, which is a good memory.”

 

As I try to calm down, Shishe starts speaking words at a fast pace and I have trouble following.

She complimented my look, despite that I think there is nothing outstanding about it,

but also comparatively, I suppose she wanted to show her interest in fashion.

 

Because as I remember, her family is a group of merchants, and with their income she can only dream of dresses like the one I’m wearing now.

Yet, I wouldn’t mind showing her my wardrobe one day, if she ever visits my house.

 

“And yes, Harrivetta is from the Francishies house isn’t it? I suppose I need to say my hello to her, but do please make it a surprise if you find her first.” Shishe says.

“Of course, I wouldn’t want to ruin your moment.” I reply.

“Besides living, what interesting things have you done lately?” Shishe asks me as she leads me towards a chair.

“Nothing of great importance.” I say as we sit down. “I have been reading books and practicing the violin. That is, I presume there is little to say from a humble lady that passes her time during the winter break.”

“That is fair, I haven’t actually expected much.” Shishe nods. “As for me, my folks had no time to even consider pass time activities to the point they wouldn’t find a single break for shopping or such. So this one, the one I’m wearing right now, is a rented dress. Still, it is lovely, don’t you think?”

“Oh goodness, you have been busy to that degree?” I ask, making a surprised face. “But yes, indeed the attire fits well with your charm Shishe.”

“So it’s true, me and my parents were exceedingly busy since the coal purveyor visited us.” Shishe explains. “The demand for now is on the cast iron fireplaces. They work quite well with coal as fuel, and so many nobles decided to replace their old ones this year with the new type of furnaces. They are quite the work, I must say, but at least for today I am able to rest for a while.”

 

It appears that Shishe has been working hard during the winter break.

Because of the demand for new technology, her family has been getting a lot of orders.

In order to fulfil them all, she must be exhausted quite terribly since I can see the marks on her hands.

Furthermore, I can almost sense the smell of coal as I focus a little with my nose.

 

“But maybe I bore you Pyrecilla? Tell me what do you think of this new fad for coal if you will.” Shishe asks me.

“It is that many people that can afford the new ones are already using them.” I explain. “While those who can’t, the people of little capital, have little influence over where the industry heads.”

“That is true if you take in consideration the market.” Shishe nods. “I’m however more focused on carrying on the fad as long as it generates money for my family. Say, your mother, wouldn’t she be interested in an iron cast furnace?”

“I presume she would, but you have to find her personally.” I mention. “I haven’t yet met with her, despite that she sent me a letter which stated that she would arrive at the party.”

“Besides your mother, what is your thought on the subject of the development?” Shishe inquires me. “Would you, given the scenario of being an venture owner, invest in the farmland infrastructure, and suggest to the peasants that they would now switch to coal from wood? And if so, what arguments would you use in order to convince the contractors?”

“That is a difficult question I must say.” I ponder. “I presume to not back off my previous word, I wouldn’t force anyone first. Second, selling a product without market research is also unwise. Alas, I possess no expertise in that either.”

“Then your mind is that of a humble capitalist focusing on profits, yet thinking of the ramifications?” Shishe tilts her head. “This must be a new following I haven’t heard about yet. There are only two people I have ever met, those that calculate coins and those who collect them. That is to say, obviously it is better to know your value and multiply it, rather than bury your assets into the ground.”

 

Shishe was making a talk about the philosophy of economics in the early stage of capitalism.

That is to say, I suppose what she meant is sound, but my ears are rather stunned.

To hear someone talking about topics that might interest me as a person is quite rare.

That is whenever I met adults, they always discuss their work issues between each other,

and only talk to their children when they want something from them, be it better grades or obedience.

 

“Now besides the new design of fireplaces, there is always the case of the coal purity.” Shishe tells me. “The best form being the ones that appear as black bricks are quite expensive to buy, yet worth the investment since the quality shows. It has a better heating temperature, lasts for longer and takes significantly less time to ignite. That is, comparatively to the alternative.”

“That is indeed so.” I nod. “Most of the coal that comes from the mines don’t get quality assurance and are transported by the trains in large containers.”

“What then gets picked up the packaging phase is somewhat a mix of all qualities in one sack.” Shishe explains. “The lowest quality, the one that looks like dust, is composed of small grey rocks which are the after-product of the extrication process. They were not quite recommended as a fuel since they produce a large amount of soot. That is to say, I suppose people would end up using it, despite that it is a hazard, especially with primitive fireplaces, but it is still possible if one takes care of the chimney regularly.”

 

As we exchanged our opinions I noticed someone in the distance. That must be him, I told myself.

 

“One moment Shishe, I pardon.” I stand up and excuse myself.

“It’s really fine, just be aware I will be around in case you need to talk or something.” Shishe says standing up and bowing.

 

But I don’t have the time to bow to her back since I have to talk with maestro.

Only by luck I have managed to reach him, walking properly, before he would disappear.

 

“Excuse me, do you know where the music room is, mister?” I say not to raise suspicion.

“The music room, of course. It should be around there?” Salayev says. “I’m sorry miss, I have no idea.”

“Well there is this fortepiano I would like to see.” I explain. “I only learned that it has a great heritage but I never heard it with my own ears.”

“Yes, that would be terrific I suppose.” Salayev starches his head.

“Harrivetta is waiting there.” I quickly whisper to him.

“But perhaps you will do good asking someone else? I must excuse myself.” The man winks and leaves.

 

I hope he reaches her as he is good with directions, I sigh, as I now have to think what to do next.

I’m in the middle of the room full of people, and only a few younger ladies and gents are present.

To say I wouldn’t mind company would be false, but at the same time a young madam should be the one to anticipate advances.

 

What I eventually decided to do was to pick a glass and pour myself some sweet liquid to drink.

I think that alone made my sensed return to the room, since I began to feel a little dizzy.

Next I told myself that now would be a suitable time to find mother among the guests.

However, before I was able to look around, someone approached me from the side.

 

“Excuse me miss. Would you like to join us?” A tall and handsome boy asks for my attention

“I suppose I wouldn’t mind the gesture.” I say as I turn my head a little surprised.

“Then allow me to introduce myself first. Rejisvaw Granostrias, and it is my pleasure having you as a guest miss.” He bows to me elegantly.

“My pleasure sir Granostrias. My name is Pyrecilla Abronova,” I drop a crusty and reach out my hand.

“Miss Abronova, is it a pleasure meeting you.” He kisses my hand. “Allow me.”

 

As he says so, he leads me to a corner where there is already another, similarly dressed boy.

Both of the gents appear quite dashing, and their dark frocks with a bow tie are quite elegant.

 

“Oh, you are back brother?” The small one stand up as he notices me. “I pardon, let me introduce myself first. I’m Metrusvaw Granostrias, his little brother.”

“Do not mind my little brother for since he is still a child.” The older brother adds.

“It is completely fine, say no more.” I state turning the older brother than to the younger. “And sir Metrusvaw, my name is Pyrecilla Abronova and it is a pleasure to meet you as well.”

 

After my initial words, I repeat the crusty and the hand gesture I did previously with Rejisvaw.

Only then the older brother suggests that I would sit down next to them.

The chairs are placed against the wall, instead of a circle near a table.

In this situation I sit in a maidenly position on one of the sides, while the two brothers take rest in the next two chairs.

 

“Say brother, have you always been this lucky with the ladies?” The smaller brother jokes.

“It is unwise to joke of that, brother.” Metrusvaw states giggling.

“Yet because of that you never let me try. Why that cruel treatment?” The smaller brother asks.

“Because the ladies always look straight ahead.” Metrusvaw says, as he turns at me for reaction.

“That was quite the statement.” I pretend to giggle, hiding my lips behind the glove.

“You are a fair lady, miss Abronova.” The smaller brother says.

“Most of the reactions we get is a mere sigh. You must be quite well mannered.” Metrusvaw flatters me.

“As a proper lady should be, I add. Besides, I’m sure you gents heard of Abronovas already.” I say as I nod.

“That is so, miss. The Abronovas family is quite well known in these parts.” Metrusvaw adds nervously.

“Then it would be a bore if I asked you about my mother?” I inquiry. “I have been looking for her with no success.”

“We haven’t seen her, yet if you insist on that request miss Abronova, I will simply ask are you quite certain?” Metrusvaw asks with a serious face.

“I wouldn’t make a lady waiting, sir Metrusvaw.” I say as I put my palm on my chin.

 

This is going to be interesting, I say myself, as I ask the two about my mother.

In order to learn about rumours, my plan is to ask many people for their opinions.

Only then I will be able to counter their lies with truth that only I know of.

After all, no man should be able resist my charm, and speak only the facts from their mind.

 

“Please do listen miss Abronova, we have no ill intention speaking about your mother.” The older brother explains. “Our family is neutral in the matter of divorce, we do not agree with either of the sides. We do that because we aren’t the judges.”

“And besides miss Abronova, I’m still too young to speak of politics.” The younger brother says. “I wish to say that the matter of the rumours only affects your mother, they do not have impact on your reputation or what people think of you. And we would want to keep that way, thus do tell us of any ill-directed behaviour personally if it occurs during the party.”

 

With them saying something that completely went over my original request, I would be furious.

But instead I can fully understand why such a diplomatic response would be produced.

It is that they are sons of the host and their duty is also to keep the peace at the party.

If there were to take sides, things could go awry in a second, with one side accusing the other.

 

Yet I can only be thankful that this resolved in this direction, since I’m able now to talk to them normally.

We exchange various subjects and I discover that their parents run a coal company.

It is probably thanks to their father that the fad Shishe was talking about was widespread.

But for the boys, their interests don’t lie within the heavy industry.

The younger is interested in education, while the older dabbles in politics.

 

“If I do recall correctly, I think I have seen you at school miss Abronova.” The older brother mentions.

“It might be true, I have noticed just now.” I reply. “But please do call me Pyrecilla, if you are so kind.”

“That is fair miss Pyrecilla.” The older brother nods.

“It was one of those combined classes. We rarely get the chance to see the ladies.” The younger brother mentions.

“And that would be for the better, in your case.” The older brother laughs.

“But to speak the truth, I seldom enjoy classes since their frighten me.” The young brother explains. “It’s the issue of credibility of information, especially in our school where speculative changes are made to fit the model of the new teaching, focused on individual learning.”

“I presume this is about the evolution theory for example? When they allow students to either believe the church or science, prompting them to come up with their own conclusions?” I tilt my head.

“That is one apposite instance miss Pyrecilla.” The little brother nods. “When it comes to education the matter of realizing what is a fact and what is an opinion is most crucial. Then it would be the understanding of nominal and real definitions, and how they function.”

“As well as the difference between a subjectivity and objectivity that stems from the human condition.” I add. “It is fair to say that human minds are restricted by their own consciousness and knowledge which can state of the world regardless of its true state.”

“It is fair to say that the pursuit after a clear mind a challenge of difficulty, which not always leads to a bright path, but instead to misconceptions of reality.” The younger brother says. “That is why would prefer if all schools had the level of academics at the highest, university levels.”

“Yet brother, that would only satisfy your own brilliant mind, as I suppose others might not understand a word from a lecture you want to be the norm.” The older brother argues.

 

The topic we were talking about was a philosophical one and it concerned school.

If one would learn of the fact and state opinions as a free individual, the education system would be without issues.

However, when the opinions dominate which fact are true, which facts are not creditable,

then science and all the researchers that worked hard in order to come closer to the true state are ignored.

As Metrusvaw said, the academic level of teaching is required in order to fully understand and appreciate science,

how important are peer reviews by those in the know and how it disregards opinions while favouring data.

 

“Besides what my brother says, I wouldn’t divulge a secret if I was to say our family makes the presence in the government institutes.” Metrusvaw says. “The goal is of course having their support, since the railroad and the coal industry requires quite the investment. Not only the money but also the ownership of land.”

“That is true brother.” The younger brother adds.

“And the crucial idea behind any industrial plan is to eventually improve the life conditions of all residents.” Metrusvaw explains.

“Which is not true, when you consider the profit of the individual labourer.” The younger brother adds.

“To say so, it is always the proprietor that amasses wealth, not the supposed benefactor, the working class.” Metrusvaw states. “It is so because the purveyor who spreads the idea of capitalism to the peasants. individuals who never had interest or desired to become workers, as their communal economy and the bond with the soil is more meaningful.”

“Despite saying so, I question if the two ideas are mutually exclusive.” I state. “Say that a peasant might become a capitalist if given a wage. Then he can continue working on his land, producing goods, which then are exchanged for other commodities.”

“Because of the nature how the peasant is connected with the soil in a contractual sense, there is no possible way for them to become capitalist from farming only.” Metrusvaw argues. “However, if each had the ownership of the land, then I suppose they would be alike any other worker, from any other field. Yet the problem, as you might expected, lies within the politics and the wealthy who are in the possession of said assets. Meaning that we either have to forcibly take away and redistribute the land or manage to find another resolution.”

“Which would be to industrialise peasants, make them workers, and build communal factories, which in turn might not be an efficient resolution due to the attachment to the soil.” I say.

“You are getting to the most interesting part I must say, Pyrecilla.” Metrusvaw nods. “It is true that the issue is the difference between political views, but with enough wealth into an information campaign, science, and time anyone can be conceived that they were the ones wrong. And that is to say, I know of said people that visited my father, asking him to cooperate in a business venture. But that should stay between us, if possible.”

“I understand that well, and promise I won’t speak a word.” I state.

 

The conversation went into politics, which is quite an interesting topic.

Naturally, in a democratic state, the interests of the community are to be protected.

But when it comes to industrial advancement, it is without doubt the fact that it brings prosperity.

However, simply because it does, it doesn’t mean it does well for the minority and those needy.

They are the ones that end up being forced to change, since from an economical perspective, they are also the ones slowing down progress.

 

That is to say, the peasants aren’t the only ones that would be most affected,

but rather the least worth and hence easily expendable and replaceable.

The only way they can however protest is to use force, which the state has access to as well.

And thus, if the two forces collide, which one would be the victor? It is quite obvious.

 

But if one would use news and information in order to misrepresent the greatness of the capitalism,

one would win that war without even needing to engage in a single battle.

That is the true power of politics the older brother was talking about.

 

“Pardon me, is this seat empty?” A girl with an angelic voice asks me.

“Please do, I don’t mind.” I reply.

 

Behind me sits down a young lady dressed in all white and black, with long straight rose pink hair.

She presents herself gracefully and has the appearance of a clergywoman.

 

“Then we will be excusing ourselves ladies.” The smaller brother says.

“Yes it is our time, it was nice conversation miss Pyrecilla.” The older brother stands and bows.

“The pleasure is also mine, Metrusvaw, Rejisvaw.” I bob to each as they leave.

 

Before I am able to turn and talk to the new guest, there is a scene happening.

It is Harrivetta talking with her sisters. I presume she is already done with tuning the fortepiano then.

 

“Hey Harrivetta, are you going to perform with Pyrecilla today?” Yevdoshie says.

“That is so, be looking forward to the event.” Harrivetta replies.

“Yet it is a pity we haven’t found her mother yet.” Urhichatta adds.

“She does live up to the reputation however.” Yevdoshie giggles.

“And before you say anything Harrie, Doshie meant that Pyrecilla’s mother never goes to parties for the reason that she thinks they are fake.” Urhichatta explains.

“To consider such from the mouth of my older sister, who frequents them, is quite amusing I would state.” Harrivetta says smirking.

“That is true Harrie, Chatta wouldn’t miss a single one.” Yevdoshie chuckles.

“Says the lady who differs little when it comes to social notoriety.” Urhichatta ripostes.

“Of course in a good meaning.” Yevdoshie restates. “Besides it’s not like our behaviour is not proper, we simply want to spread ideas. Did you know, for example, that Pyrecilla’s mother has a tendency not accept everyone’s opinion? It is something to admire.”

“I presume that is why the two of you never listen to father?” Harrivetta states.

“He is a person of little knowledge of reality.” Yevdoshie explains. “Besides we are old enough to take responsibility for our actions.”

“Just like when he says we should marry, and we do according his desire, he never acknowledge us for the effort we exert during all those parties.” Urhichatta adds.

 

Despite that those two already stated their opinion on my mother, I can’t consider them a foe or an ally.

But at least thanks to Harrivetta I was able to let out some air in relief.

She really did defend my mother from their opinion, or at least tried before the topic was changed.

 

As much as I would like to state my position to them, I noticed something else.

The girl that was sitting beside me smiled as I turned to her. She was holding two drinks in her hand.

I presume she was waiting for someone, but her lilac eyes said that she wanted to talk with me.

 

“I pardon, I haven’t introduced myself yet.” I bow to her. “My name is Pyrecilla Abronova.”

“It is a great pleasure to be meeting you Pyrecilla.” She bows back. “You wouldn’t mind a drink, wouldn’t you?”

“It is improper to say no to the gesture of glass.” I take the glass from her hand. “Thank you miss.”

“Say, what should be our toast?” She asks me.

“Alas, my mind is empty.” I say sighing. “Perhaps, hope for good health?”

“For a fair lady to be anxious of old age is rather rare.” The girl tilts her head.

“Then for our parents health.” I propose, as I raise my glass.

“For mother, father and the Goddess.” The young lady toasts.

 

Despite that she hasn't yet said her name, we clicked our glasses and drank a little.

I was impressed by the taste, it was sweet yet quite succulent, filling my dried up lungs.

With that I could probably talk for another hour, but time for our dance was getting closer.

 

“Say Pyrecilla, do you enjoy drinking?” She asks me.

“I pardon, do you ask if I find pleasure in drinking alcohol?” I tilt my head.

“What if I said you just did.” She giggles.

“I wouldn’t believe you. Besides, you haven’t told me your name yet.” I mention.

“If it so matters to you, then worry no longer. I’m Rezonaria of the Illifucias house.” The girl states.

“Then it is a pleasure to have met you, Rezonaria.” I bow elegantly.

“And that is to say, you believe me right? It is not a jest.” The girl adds.

“I pardon, I wouldn’t be able to state otherwise.” I explain.

“I might be a masquerading nun, all you might now.” The girl smiles widely.

“Alas, my belief of your good will remain.” I nod.

 

As I say those words, the lady in front of me starts laughing uncontrollably.

I presume her drink might have retained some alcohol, but I can’t scent any.

Then another possibility is that she got into the state simply by believing that there was some.

 

“Actually Pyrecilla, would you humour me with your person? Tell me about yourself.” Rezonaria asks me.

“I’m impressed, since most of the time I receive questions about my mother.” I reply.

“It really doesn’t matter, be out with it if you must.” Rezonaria pleads.

“I pardon, the intention was an compliment. I will tell you about myself.” I explain.

 

And as I do my partner gets absorbed in my story and how I found myself spending the winter break with Harrivetta.

Only then she starts talking about herself and what she thinks personally.

 

“In return for the wonderful story, let me share with you my angle.” Rezonaria tells me.

“Be free to do so, the drink is only half empty.” I tell her.

“All began when first I was told I have to marry a man.” Rezonaria explains. “I knew nothing of adult matters, nor did I know the boy who was matched with me. All was a dream and I was simply floating like a ghost as events happened.”

“Oh goodness, what happened next?” I ask with excitement.

“The wedding was suddenly cancelled, due some differences and issues over our families.” Rezonaria continues. “Yet it wasn’t hard to tell that we, me and my honey, were in love. And that is when we realized that we must prevail, against everything, all imaginable difficulties. We decided to get married regardless of anyone’s opinion.”

“That sounds lovely!” I exclaim.

“And yet, a misfortune hit us and the boy had to leave, evacuate to another country due a war breaking out, while me and my family went the other way.” Rezonaria recollects. “I wrote letters and to this day believe that he is still alive, despite that he was drafted into the army.”

“I sure hope so too. I will be praying for your sake.” I promise her.

“Still, that is what I do every night, to the point of doubt of my own purity. I forgot the pleasure of life, I forsaken my happiness for the belief of return.” Rezonaria says. “However, the more I started believing in our miraculous reunion the more I discovered about my faith. Perhaps, in order not to grow old and hurt the people around me, I would become a nun. That way my parents and my potential bachelors needed to worry about me.”

 

The story that my conversation partner related was about her relation with her to-be-husband.

Unfortunately, the story didn’t have a happy ending, and caused my eyes to water a little.

Yet, what she is really asking is if her pretending to be nun is a plausible resolution for the time being.

 

“If you ask for my opinion, I say that nothing wrong should come from that.” I state.

“Why is it that you think in such a way, Pyrecilla?” She asks me.

“Since there is no reason for you to do otherwise, if you believe in his return.” I say, drinking from my glass. “If this is the only man for you, if your love is more important than anything, ruining your person would never bring happiness towards you.”

“But what of my parents? They worry each day I go to church and pray.” She inquires.

“Worried about you becoming a nun or anxious about your future?” I ask. “In any case, every individual has to state for themselves, despite that is hard. You mustn’t be controlled just by the intentions of others.”

“That so is true, I believe only the Goddess can give me the support I need to persevere.” Rezonaria states, and holds her hands together. “She is there to remind me of my eventual reward if I don’t stray off the path. She is the one to speak of the truth to me.”

“I pardon but I seem to have said too much?” I say worried.

“That is absolutely not the case!” She says with a merry voice. “What the Goddess tells me must be the truth! I swear, must it be this difficult to have others understand her grace?”

 

Before the slightly intoxicated lady started talking about the circumstances of her decision,

I thought that I would listen to her and agree with her, supporting her determination.

What I did not know is how much of a follower she was to the church.

 

All her passion stemmed from the idea of a miraculous reunion with her love.

But such is simply a prediction, and following it might be quite disastrous for the lady.

However, it is only thing that keeps her from drinking off her worries, from my impressions at least.

And because that she appears as a growing adult, I can’t just say she is wrong from my young position.

 

“I believe that is the right thing to do. Still, would you accept an opinion from a young lady such as myself?” I ask.

“As long as she believes in the Goddess.” She responds with a smile.

“Then I hold what I said.” I state. ”Besides, your story bear semblance to a romance novel. I can’t hardly imagine what you have been through, though it was quite touching.”

 

Before we would return to talking of small subjects, other than religion and beliefs,

I noticed another conversation going on in the ballroom. It was Harrivetta’s father talking with someone.

 

“Then you say you did right? You made sure that you provided for your descendants? The old man says.

“Which is to say, if you doubt please ask them.” Sergiey says.

“That would be a waste of my time. The obvious shows, you haven’t the clue of what the word heritage means.” The old man states.

“The times of old passed, other things matters.” Sergiey mentions. “My daughters always complain about not finding husbands, and you know they tried.”

“Lies, they have never been honest about marriage!” The old man responds. “You say the hedonist lifestyle is the norm now? What did I do wrong with you?”

“Despite what you say father, the capitalist industry brings prosperity.” Sergiey argues. “Take your oldest grandchild, he is an example of a new class of financiers.”

“While who said a word of wrong about the new? It’s always the old that is portrayed as redundant.” The old man asks. “The mixing of the classes only causes misfortune, both in impure blood and unpreceded ideals. The example is within your children.”

“Father, would you say I did the wrong to them?” Sergiey inquires.

“That is not for me to answer. Believe me when I say I mean good will pleading your attention to the issue.” The old man voices.

“Then you shall see Harrivetta, and make your own opinion.” Sergiey mentions. “She will be playing the fortepiano in the evening.”

 

Sergiey and his father talked about their position on how to raise children.

The argument however was one that stems from authority, not who is closer to the truth, but who knows better.

In this case it was obvious that the white haired gentleman wouldn’t be able to convince her son.

 

Before I was able to turn, the lady who was sitting next to me, Rezonaria, decided that she would leave.

She excused herself and took the empty glasses with her, leaving me alone again.

I looked out the window and it was already getting quite dark. The dance was about to start.

 

However, I never met my mother. I started to worry if she would be there for the first dance.

It’s extremely crucial for a lady of proper etiquette not to be late for that event.

It is more important that her table manners or even if she is able to make friends.

That is why I stood up and started worrying, as the people around me didn’t look familiar.

 

Yet, there was one person standing near the tables, a blue haired girl which also looked anxious.

Before I was able to reach for the cake, I was met with her sudden, piercing gaze.

 

“Excuse me miss.” She asks me.

“I pardon, what is the issue?” I ask.

“Have you seen a madam called Beamortha Abronova around? I’m trying to find her.” She explains.

“That is who I’m looking for as well.” I reply, a little startled.

“Then do say!” The exclaims as she closes in on me. “Have you seen her?”

“I am sorry, I hadn’t the luck.” I say as she calms down.

“What a misfortune it is then. Alas, I apologise for the intruding.” She bows down.

“It was not a bother really.” I say as I wave my palm up and down.

“I pardon, my name is Sayabri Masahrena.” She drops a curtsy.

“My pleasure, I’m Pyrecilla Abronova.” I reply with my own crusty.

“The daughter? Is that true? That I am in luck!” She exclaims.

 

Because I could ask for an explanation, I was pulled towards a room and she closed the door.

I presume she wanted to talk about something private, thus I didn’t protest.

Although we were alone, the room was barely lit, and I couldn’t see her face properly.

 

“How much did your mother mention about my family?” Sayabri asks me suddenly.

“I pardon, could you explain?” I tilt my head.

“Do you retain information on the Masahrens family?” She asks again.

“I know nothing. Please, I am confused.” I plead to her.

“Then I will inquire no more, but believe me it is strange that you don’t.” She states, backing off.

“I would appreciate that would tell me.” I state.

“It is my father that your mother married and divorced.” She states.

 

If so is true, then this person is my sister-in-law? I am not quite sure if that’s correct.

If she is a child from an unrelated man and woman, while my mother was only a Sayabri’s father wife for a while,

then that isn’t supposed to make us family alone. There is no blood connection.

 

“It is a pleasure to be meeting you, I suppose.” I say, confused. “But as I said I couldn’t find my mother. Yet, I hope she will be present during the opening dance. That is when you can see her.”

“I know, yet you are the person who I wanted to talk with Pyrecilla.” She replies as she sits down.

“Ask me anything of mother, if you wish.” I explain as I remain calm and sit down as well. “But I worry that I wouldn’t be able to provide answers.”

“It’s about the rumours you know, the one that people spread of your mother.” Sayabri tells me. “I find them most amusing, especially when they talk of it with the same passion as my father does. And do trust me, he really does loathes his previous wife. I always hearing his part of the story but never your mother’s, hence why I asked you Pyrecilla.”

“Then what I can say is that I’m her child, as you can see.” I tell her. “There is nothing more to say, other than there was a misunderstanding and both parties separated with a peaceful resolution.”

“That’s what I thought as well.” Sayabri smiles. “But recently there has been a new twist on the subject. Supposed that you heard the recent gossips of the adultery and the involvement maid?”

 

The story of my mother and Sayabri’s father involved him visiting her bedroom many times.

Unfortunately, no matter the good will, she wasn’t able to produce him a baby.

Therefore, in frustration, he would divorce her on the false claim of the unfaithfulness to him.

 

However, the time he would marry again would be some time, enough to raise a doubt.

When I see Sayabri now, she appears that she was born somewhere twelve or thirteen years ago.

Yet, the marriage was exactly twelve years ago, as I recall my mother mentioning.

Thus, to think that they slept together and on the very first day they would have an intercourse is unlikely.

The more possible explanation would be that she was already pregnant during the wedding.

 

But the other possibility is that of adultery done on a maid in secret.

It was said that the features of Sayabri resembles more that of the servant, rather than her mother.

Whichever is the truth is rather obscure, since there is no way to tell of the true parent.

 

“I find all that situation quite absurd. Why would it matter who was my mother?” Sayabri states.

“I suppose I would agree with the notion, seldom does it matter.” I nod.

“It’s only the older people who speak of lineage and heritage.” Sayabri adds. “But I wish truly that above those ideals we could simply be a happy family.”

“Neither does my mother or me detest your father, must you worry.” I explain. “This is so you understand, as I hope I needed to say more.”

“Your word is enough Pyrecilla, but do imagine, wouldn’t it be great if we were family?” Sayabri giggles.

“I could only imagine, Sayabri.” I giggle at her back.

 

The two of us stated our positions and our opinions on the matter, which didn’t give rise to a conflict.

Instead we came to a friendly agreement and put aside the difference of our parents.

I also noticed the similarities between her and me, as we both were single children.

That alone would be something I can emphasise with, since talking with Sayabri is quite enjoyable I must say.

 

“And it doesn’t matter if our parents are like that, now does it?” Sayabri suggests. “We can still meet at school, if I can convince my mother of course.”

“That would be a feat, I presume.” I nod. “I do wonder how my mother would react.”

“Possibly with the same anger as my father would.” Sayabri says.

“So you think, I suppose.” I add.

“Besides, what if it is revealed, by some miracle, that I’m not even the daughter of my mother? Or my father? Have you ever thought of a situation such as that?” Sayabri asks.

“I wouldn’t have my mother be replaced by any other.” I admit.

“Yet, the notion I proposed is that a family isn’t always the blood ties, but rather the relationship between the individuals.” Sayabri explains. “Just like I prefer time spent with friends, rather than my parents. Wouldn’t it be splendid if others understood too?”

“It would be interesting to say the least. However, I suppose I wouldn’t mind a bigger family myself.” I tell her.

“Then would you like to visit my mansion one day? We have quite the view on the mountains and the lake.” Sayabri suggests.

“I shall keep that in mind, if circumstances allow.” I respond.

“Well, I for instance never tell my father whom I visit, and it works all the time.” Sayabri chuckles. “You ought to try it yourself too.”

 

As the topics became less intense, me and Sayabri started to enjoy the time spent together.

It was the beginning of a friendship, from the looks of it, and I could really feel it being authentic.

Never have I thought that during my search for mother, I would find a young lady friend instead.

0