14-0
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already the night, a dark landscape was illuminated only by the light reflected by the moon.

It was already time to sleep, yet one could hear some nocturnal animals utter their voices.

And further, it wasn’t the usual time for humans to be awake, especially around the farmland.

 

The light wasn’t so easily achievable, as it required the money to buy the oil for the lamp.

And besides, you wouldn’t be able to read a book or do anything productive anyway.

Therefore, many villagers, just like Minorta, used this period solely for resting.

 

But there was one shadowy figure, dressed in a habit-like cloth, that was creeping through the fields.

It was a spectre similar to that of a wraith, floating in space and wandering around aimlessly.

Its destination however appeared to be set as it stopped near the window to the room where a blond girl slept.

 

Suddenly, there was a knock. Minorta woke up and jumped off the bed frightened.

What was that, she pondered, as her vision just now started to adjust to the little light inside her bedroom.

She first looked around nervously, noticing only the blackness, but soon her emerald eyes were met by dim glow.

The origin of it was outside the window, and what was also present was the dark figure that was gazing at her.

Instantly she dropped on the ground, let out a muffled scream in fright and backed away on her four libs.

 

“Minorta, it’s me Acculina!” The figure says.

“Ah? What a second.” Minorta gets up and looks closely.

“Can you recognize me now?” The nun-like girl takes off her hood.

“It is you! Why do you scare people around the night?” Minorta exclaims.

“That wasn’t my intention!” Acculina responds.

 

Before the blond girl would have realized that she was having a bad dream, someone knocked at the window.

However, it wasn’t the spectre, or anything supernatural for that matter, that wanted her attention.

It was a friend, a nun-to-be white haired girl that for some reason wanted to meet her during the night.

 

“What do you want from me in the middle of the night?” Minorta says angrily.

“People have been gathering near the church!” She responds.

“Is it some church event or something? What is happening?” Minorta yawns.

“Pray the Goddess it is, but quite frankly, I don’t think they came praying.” She answers.

“Then what of it? Ruining my sleep, nun or not, will get you in trouble if you don’t give me a good reason.” Minorta states as she warns her friend with a finger.

“I think they are upset because we agreed to store coal in the abbey for the businessman.” Acculina explains. “It was for supposed to be for the needy, or at least that’s why the pastor told me, but they demand we empty out the warehouse.”

“So, I suppose you should comply.” Minorta says half-awake. “Or ask for a remaking of the contract.”

“We could, but they also demand an apology from the priest.” Acculina adds.

“I’m not good with words, ask Ellien.” Minorta responds.

“They threaten that they will set fire if we don’t do anything.” Acculina pleads.

“At least the coal wouldn’t be a problem anymore?” Minorta shrugs.

“I beg, please help me stop them! I know that only you are able to help.” Acculina kneels down on the ground and prays.

 

The situation was as follows, there appears to be a crowd of people gathering near the church.

They won’t listen to kind words and demand that all the coal supply would be surrendered to them.

They might be displeased from the purchase, or have other reasons, but would that all matter to Minorta?

She is but a simple young maiden that lives in a secluded house, away from civilisation.

What can one person do against so many adults, possibly equipped with torches and tools?

 

There is one thing she can do, and she knows the reason why Acculina would visit her specifically.

It is because she was the one that was successful in doing something similar in the past.

When there was a crowd of people that gathered near Ellien’s house, she was there, kneeling on the ground and praying.

Knowing that her presence did something gave her the idea that she can also help the white haired girl now.

Yet, she wasn’t certain, she didn’t know for sure if risking her own life would take effect.

 

“Please Minorta, you can talk to them, I know you can!” Acculina pleads.

“I am not quite sure, do I look like I can?” Minorta questions.

“I would not come if to you if I thought you wouldn’t believe me.” Acculina mentions.

“I pardon, I don’t think you came to the right person.” Minorta says.

“You are the only one I could come to!” Acculina exclaims.

“Alas, I don’t think you made the right choice.” Minorta responds.

“Then tell me what to do!” Acculina shouts. “Do I go back and say I wasn’t able to bring Minorta with me?”

“Do something, anything please.” Minorta pleads. “Just be careful.”

“Hey, Ellien is waiting for me in the abbey.” Acculina mentions. “She was reading a book, so she got caught into the affair unintentionally. Would you want to leave her?”

 

The second her friend mentioned Ellien, the blond haired girl knew that she was simply running away.

It was the belief that something can happen, something terribly awful to the people around her,

that she worried about the most. Besides, her brother and grandma would be sad if she would get hurt,

which further fortified her in her decision. That is the reason why she didn’t want to act right away.

 

However, hearing of Ellien her made her consciousness take in consideration that not only Acculina could be injured,

but also her best friend that she spent so much time together with. She would hate herself if she didn’t help her.

 

“Just tell Ellien to go home.” Minorta pleads.

“That wouldn’t fix the issue!” Acculina states.

“But it would save her life.” Minorta adds.

“She said she would stay.” Acculina explains.

‘Then convince her!” Minorta exclaims.

“I wouldn’t be able, but if you came.” Acculina suggests.

“I suppose you haven’t tried that, didn’t you?” Minorta sighs.

“That’s not important, you should come and talk to her yourself.” Acculina pleads.

“Yet, it’s dangerous. What if I get hurt and accomplish nothing?” Minorta asks.

“It’s not important. You don’t need to talk with the crowd, just convince Ellien.” Acculina says.

“How would I even get the chance to do that if I have to pass through the crowd to get into the abbey?” Minorta questions.

“It’s fine, there is a passage in the library going under the ground.” Acculina mentions.

“What if they already know about that too?” Minorta asks again.

“I agree, it might be so, but despite that, just go!” Acculina exclaims. “Don’t be so afraid something will happen, when it won’t. You just want to talk to Ellien, that’s all right?”

 

That is true that, in the blond haired girl’s mind, all she has to do was to simply talk to Ellien and drag her away to safety, even against her will.

However, in spite of danger, there is also something that she was supposed to do, something that Pyrecilla would do.

She knows that only she can even attempt to talk with the villagers and convince them.

She knows that, as a person who caused a miracle, she would have some respect.

She knows that as young and defenceless maiden, praying is the only way she can help,

as for when people are in this state, not having the concern for what they do, only faith can pervert a disaster from happening.

 

Yet, there is something else in her mind, something that is quite precious to her.

Suddenly we were reminded of the past, the time when she went to Pyrie, asking for her help to save Ellien.

And now, isn’t this the same situation, with the difference that it is Acculina asking her to help the church?

Maybe she is only wasting time and worrying about something bad that could happen.

Maybe it is time to act, to find the courage in her past and do what she is supposed to do as a person.

 

“Right, there is no reason for me to stay here.” Minorta states. “Let me dress and we can go.”

“Really? Have you really just changed your mind now?” Acculina tilts her head.

“A nun disbelieving is a first sight for me.” Minorta giggles as she looks through her wardrobe.

“I am this doubtful? Have I forsaken the Goddess?” Acculina laments.

“Save me the grieving, if you please.” Minorta responds as she hurries up.

“Then let us take haste.” Acculina says as she closes to the window, trying to open it.

“Not that hasty to leave through the window.” Minorta sighs.

 

The blond girl, after putting on her clothes in haste, and dresses her winter boots,

the same ones she received as a present from Pyrie. and leaves running through the door.

She doesn’t know if she is going to make it time, she doesn’t know if she is going to be able to do anything.

However, dashing at full speed during the night, with only the moon shining at the two girls,

they rush towards their destination through the empty road that’s covered in the snow.

 

They pass the bridge and eventually reach the intersection. It is there when they can see something in the distance.

The blackness of the night has one point that is illuminated, the church and the group of people gathered there.

Seeing this Minorta realizes that if she was faster, the situation wouldn’t be that dire perhaps.

However, she still needs to run, just like that one time after she talked with the wind spirit.

 

The two girls eventually make it to the gates of the church and silently examine the situation.

There are many people gathered around the abbey, but some walk and investigate the church grounds.

 

“We could try the back door.” Minorta suggests.

“I believe they have men there as well.” Acculina points out.

“Why not just walk past them?” Minorta points out.

“They wouldn’t possibly be this kind to let people do it?” Acculina tilts her head.

“You must then have a better idea?” Minorta sighs.

“Let’s climb the wall.” Acculina suggests.

“Are you certain this is going to work?” Minorta doubts.

“You can use my shoulders.” Acculina mentions as she gets in position.

“I presume you know what you are doing?” Minorta asks.

“I used to go for that route when the priest got angry.” Acculina says.

“You mean used to, as in you no longer slip out to run away from him?” Minorta states.

“I said I’m a nun-in-training, and honestly is a virtue.” Acculina replies, punting.

“I understand, truly.” Minorta giggles. “I get in fights with my brother often too, but lately I decided that I will no longer run away.”

“That is wonderful, but now please do be quiet.” Acculina whispers.

 

The two girls, while getting over the wall, noticed someone looking their way.

Thankfully, they were able to hide and avoid detection. Now they had to enter the library and look for the hidden passage.

 

Acculina reached for her pockets and retrieved a large brass key. With a silent turn,

the door was opened and a wall of covers and blankets on the floor was laid before them.

This was to prevent the wind and snow from coming into the room, which has otherwise not heating.

Jumping over the obstacle, Minorta and her friend locked the door behind them and advanced inside.

It was dark and only after the lamp in the middle was lit did they see the shapes of books and shelves.

 

Holding hands, Acculina led the blond girl through the room, eventually reaching a door in the corner.

Then she took the brass key again and opened it. It was the same one that unlocked the door before.

Now the two young ladies found themselves walking through a dark, underground corridor.

The stairs were leading down, and the walls were made from cold stone and wooden supports.

There was no place for lamps, and their only source of light was this one small lamp.

 

Yet, through the darkness, holding each other’s shaking hand, and climbing a set of stairs leading upwards,

They finally reached the exit. There Acculina knocked on the door and awaited a response in silence.

 

“This door doesn’t open?” Minorta asked.

“Not from the inside.” Acculina answers.

 

The two girls waited in the dark, knowing that the time was of the essence.

However, nothing happened, until Acculina started to knock on the door repeatedly.

Only then there was an answer. It was the sound of someone walking through the corridor.

 

“I pardon. Is anyone there?” A girl’s voice asks.

“Please open the door for us Ellien.” Minorta answered.

“Where are you?” Ellien tilt’s her head.

“The door to your right.” Acculina tells her.

“I see, how would I operate it? There is no handle.” Ellien mentions.

“Just push on it as hard as you can.” Acculina explains.

 

With Ellien pushing on the door, the two inside of the underground corridor were able to open it.

It appears the door was simply stuck, rather than locked, so it needed only a little shove.

The three friends were now reunited at last, but the battle was just about to start.

 

“Now Ellien, let’s go.” Minorta says.

“Excuse my confusion, go where?” Ellien says.

“Let’s run! This abbey is a dangerous place to be in now.” Minorta explains.

“You desire that we escape together?” Ellien asks confused.

“That is the case, the crowd outside might set fire at time.” Minorta mentions, pulling at her friends hands.

“Would I surprise you if I said I would rather say, in spite of the danger?” Ellien voices.

“Is it that you want to protect the books? We can save them too.” Minorta suggests.

“It’s not about the books.” Ellien replies.

“Are you sorry for the priest, the sister and Acculina living here?” Minorta asks.

“That is not the reason either.” Ellien answers.

“Then what is your issue? Please tell me.” Minorta pleads.

“It’s not something I would do, neither does running away would be a decision fitting you, I think.” Ellien explains.

“What do you mean? What is your logic?” Minorta queries.

“There is no logic, it is simply what should be done.” Ellien tells her friend. “Just like you did for me when you defended my father, just like Pyrie did as well.”

 

The event in the past reappeared in the blond girl’s mind. It was very vivid and full of details.

She was inside of her head, listening to the spirits that told her of their emotions.

They wanted to induce a change, one that was right from their perspective.

And so, after hearing them out, Minorta decided that she will respond to them,

since she realized that they also feel in the same way as humans, and that similarity caused her to find a reason to act.

 

That is why she had the courage to stand between the crowd and Ellien’s family.

That is why, despite the danger, she motionlessly keeled on the ground and prayed.

That is why she raised her voice in order to calm everyone before they would act.

To live and give life are the rules which all of the villagers and spirits live by here, every season and every year.

They work the soil, they plant their seeds, they sow their crops and they rest thanks to the grace of nature.

It is a cycle that repeats, like a chant, telling of the struggles of a simple mind.

 

“What do you presume I do? What do you want me to say?” Minorta says.

“I don’t really know, anything would be fine I hope.” Ellien responds with doubt.

“With you saying that I feel less compelled.” Minorta sighs.

“I thought that you would know better, that is all.” Ellien mentions.

“Why would you say that? Do you believe in me so much?” Minorta asks.

“It’s not because you just helped my family, but because it’s you.” Ellien explains. “I asked Acculina to get you because I knew that you can help, as a spirit medium.”

“I am through with that!” Minorta exclaims. “It only ends up hurting people!”

“Because you were not able to help my father? Because you were not able Davithea’s father?” Ellien asks her. ”I already forgave you, didn’t I?”

“Must you mention that, Ellien?” Minorta hides her face.

“It’s not an issue, I assure you.” Ellien states. “You simply have to believe in yourself the most, out of all of us. That’s the only way you will be able to help yourself.”

“And you brought me here to tell me that?” Minorta responds angrily. “You asked Acculina to bring me here? It was your idea?”

 

The conversation between the two sparked a quarrel that ignited the room.

The blond girl knew how much grief she have caused by using her ability,

while Ellien wanted to calm her and give her the courage to try once again.

 

But what else was in Minorta’s mind was the time when she found a small pond near some trees.

She was very little and used to play in the forest, looking for various things she was curious about.

This time, as she stood tiptoed and looked closely at the surface, she noticed something white and big.

It looked like a rock, but who would really carry and drop a rock big like this, she thought.

However, as she squatted down and touched it with a stick it moved, floating on the water and causing ripples.

Only then she realised that the object was not the rock she imagined. Instead, it was a motionless corpse of a woman.

 

It took her time to realize that someone died here, for some reason.

She instantly jumped, screamed, and started crying on the ground.

Only after her brother found her and calmed her down, they discovered who the person was.

It was Minorta’s mother, who drowned in the lake, possibly due to an accident.

They both cried, despaired, but there was nothing they could do now. They had to accept the fate of their female parent.

At that time the siblings decided never to reveal the true reason of her death to anyone and bury her there.

 

However, there was another reason why Minorta decided to do that.

It was a water spirit, who she was able to talk with, that told her everything.

Her mother was looking for berries and mushrooms until she heard something.

There was something in the pond, something drowning, an animal of sorts.

Because only she was around, she decided to examine the situation and looked around.

There were only bubbles showing on the surface, the water was murky and covered in leaves.

Knowing so the mother decided to use a stick in order to move the foliage to the side.

 

What she saw next was a person’s shape was forcing another human-like silhouette into the water, holding his neck.

It was clear that his intention was to kill, thus the mother rushed and tried to stop him.

However, she wasn’t aware that it was a struggle between two spirits and she was in no place to help either of them.

 

And then, as she entered into the pond, she discovered that the water is much deeper that she would imagine.

It wasn’t long before she was sucked inside, into the mud, and became submerged completely.

Despite that she tried her best, despite that she asked the spirits for help, it was all for nothing.

And so, the water spirit retailing the story to Minorta warned her about contacting spirits.

It never ends well for either of the sides, it said, that it is better if she never would interact with them.

 

But at that time she was little, and her traumatic experience slowly healed over time as she grew older.

It was in spite of her fear that she followed the wind spirits and talked with him.

It was in spite of her fear that she tried to convince Davithea’s father to do the right thing.

All for the purpose of proving to her mother that she is no longer afraid, that she is able to continue on living.

That is what she would have wanted from me, she told herself, thus I will prevail.

 

“Fine, I know what to do.” Minorta says.

“Are you convicted?” Ellien asks.

“Yes, we shall all go, the three of us.” Minorta suggests.

“Are you certain? Is that needed?” Acculina asks.

“Just please listen to her.” Ellien grabs the white haired girl’s hand.

 

And with the party of the three then go through the main door and face the crowd.

For Minorta it is the same as from before, she has to listen to the voices.

For Ellien, she is only afraid that the people wouldn’t reason with them at this point.

For Acculina, the situation does look dire as she notices the crowd is quite not pleased to see them.

 

“So you comply? Will you throw away the coal?” One person asks.

“What is the problem?” Acculina asks.

“We already told the priest, no need to repeat.” A man says.

“Further, sending out little ladies instead is disgraceful.” A woman says.

“And besides, we are tired of waiting, why not go inside?” A stranger suggests.

“We promise that we won’t sell coal, just please leave.” Acculina pleads.

“We need to be more sure than that.” An older man speaks.

“You have cheated us once, we can’t take your word.” A father explains.

“With the spirits and the coal. What would be next?” A mother adds.

“Ye, the coal is unusable!” A man exclaims. “It makes the chimney black as the night, and even pollutes the house. Have you no shame selling it?”

“We are not selling it, only storing.” Acculina explains.

“Then tell the owner to leave.” Someone says. “We don’t need his coal.”

“Yes, tell him to never come back!” A person shots.

 

Inside of Minorta’s head, there were multiple voices heard. Some belonged to humans, some to a spirit.

It was really strange, since the blond girl had never experienced such hatred before.

It was igniting her from the inside, telling her to strike and to be aggrieve,

similar to the feeling she remembers when she was protecting Ellien’s house.

 

Yet, what was strange for her was that this wasn’t a group of spirits like from before.

It was a single entity that was able to convince all those people to do its bidding.

And what powerful voice it had. Truly, Minorta’s ears trembled every time she would hear it.

 

“Do as I want.” A voice says.

“You do as I tell you.” A voice says.

“I am the truth, I am the light bringer.” A voice says.

“This is what you want, I am here to give it to you.” A voice says.

“The lies you hate will be destroyed, if you hear me.” A voice says.

“Don’t listen to anyone else as they don’t accept your words either.” A voice says.

“You have to fight, you have to make them listen, you have to state the truth to them.” A voice says.

 

The spirit speaks of the truth that has to be revealed, no matter the consequences.

The truth about the coal industry, the truth about the priest lying that he is only trying to help the needy.

But also, Minorta recalls how the church dealt with the miracle she supposedly caused.

Because there was not enough evidence, not even after the interviews, the entire case was closed.

It was an embarrassment for the church, and the victory of the simple minded people.

They knew that if they want the priest to stop spreading lies they have to act themselves.

That is why they are here, standing with the touches and shouting for the clergy to apologise to them.

 

“Bring him out!” A person says.

“Show yourself.” A man says.

“It’s your time to speak the truth.” A woman says.

 

And the past happens again, the door opens and the person they call out, the priest, shows himself to everyone.

They are infuriated and unable to think calmly. With each step they come closer,

and there is no one that can stop them unless Minorta acts right now.

 

“Stop, not a single step more.” Minorta shouts, as she steps out forward.

“Who are you to defend the priest?” Someone asks.

“I am the one to tell you to stop! The priest, just like you, is human.” Minorta pleads. “You wish to assert force instead of words? Never should we kill! That is not right!”

 

But before those words are carried by the wind, in the distance something unrelated happens.

Out of nowhere and without an explanation, the roof of the church catches fire.

This alone switches everyone’s attention from the main door of the abbey to the blazing flames.

They are not yet profound, but if not taken out immediately, worse things will happen.

 

Thus, the crowd of people, who were previously wanting to execute their justice onto the priest,

now unite and decide to help. They organise ladders, buckets and anything else that might help.

They have to fight against the time, before the entire roof would engulf into the flames.

0