Chapter II – Brothers
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

War of Judgement

Volume 1 - Survivors

Chapter II - Brothers

He was alive.

Darius knew that because he could feel pain coursing through his body.

Every fibre of his being screamed out in agony as he moved forward. It hurt to breathe, laboured breaths escaping bloody lips as he moved slowly in an attempt not to aggravate his broken ribs. He cradled one arm against his chest, careful to avoid knocking it against something or letting it move freely as bone protruded out from his skin, blood seeping out and dripping on the ground leaving a trail.

Yet Darius did not stop moving forward.

His one good arm extended out behind him, hand clutching tightly around Alex's as they moved through the forest. In the distance, they could make out the signs of approaching helicopters, and hear the sound of sirens as help came for them.

It acted as a beacon for him and so, Darius pushed on past the pain and through the debris around him without pause. His gaze never wavered from the helicopters rapidly approaching, the sight far better than the death and destruction around him.

He had survived the fall because of his mother and so too had Alex survived thanks to their father. Yet he had not escaped unharmed, could feel the numerous cuts and bruises irritating him as he moved, rubbing against the torn fabric of his clothes. His mother's sacrifice had not come without a price as when he awoke he was on the ground and she was nowhere to be found.

Darius was alone and it was only the cries of his brother, the sole, lonesome cries of his brothers that enabled him to rise to his feet. Their father was there, still wrapped around his brother in a protective cocoon, yet he was silent and still.

Cold and unmoving.

Dead.

Despite having his own share of injuries, Alex had managed to come away in better condition than himself and that had been a small measure of comfort to Darius. Focusing on him and the need to get his brother to safety had been the one thing that kept Darius going even as he stumbled here and there.

The slight hiccup and quiet sob was a common sound though, Darius glaring out at the helicopters, biting down upon his lip as tears of his own gathered in his eyes. Even though Alex had survived, their parents had not, nor had the people around them and they were constantly reminded of that fact as they moved through it all.

The only reason Darius did not break down alongside his brother was precisely because he had to get his brother to safety. It was only then that Darius could let out the emotions within him yet part of him hoped that would never come to be.

"Alex," Darius said, tugging on his brother's hand when he felt him slowing down. "Keep going. We're nearly there. Then you can rest. So please, keep moving."

The sobbing increased, but Alex kept moving.

Then the helicopters reached them, circling in the air as emergency service vehicles grew closer, the two of them coming to a stop at long last. Alex collapsed to his knees, crying out loudly as Darius swayed on his feet, staring up at the sky and past the helicopters.

The ship that had attacked them was nowhere to be seen and no matter where his gaze looked, it was nowhere to be found. Darius couldn't find it and it was clear to him that the ship had left already, returning to wherever it came from.

Darius didn't know where it had gone or why it had attacked them.

But Darius didn't care.

It had attacked them and shattered his family apart.

He didn't know if it was possible, but Darius wanted revenge.


The hospital of the small nearby town of Stockdale was abuzz with activity as people on a nearby hiking trip were rushed into the ER. A large group had been going up the nearby mountains, a common route for many which had always brought many tourists to their town. 

Yet today it has resulted in disaster as a Boeing 757 fell out of the sky, the debris causing a large forest fire and killing many. 

Amongst the group of patients being wheeled around on stretchers and doctors and nurses who rushed to help those in need, a single man moved through the hospital with a calm gait. He was tall and handsome, possessing slicked black hair and a well-trimmed stylish beard. His skin was pale, unnaturally so that made the darkness of his hair stand out even more. 

But amongst the bustle and chaos that gripped the hospital, the oddity of his features went unnoticed as he entered into an empty stairwell. "Tirich."

"I'm here, Cessair." The shadows beneath Cessair's feet shifted, almost bubbling as they grew darker in colour before rising up into a large mound that reached his chest. Slowly, this mass of shadows became a vaguely humanoid figure with two glowing white spots for eyes that stared through him. 

"Report back to the Patriarch, I have found the bloodline," Cessair informed him, a small smile growing upon his lips. "Two young boys, Darius and Alexander Raff, sons of Bill and Joan Raff. They are the sole survivors of the plane crash that happened near Stockdale."

"You are certain?" Tirich questioned and Cessair nodded his head, sneering slightly at his judgement being questioned. 

"I happened to be present as the physician was working upon them. Both were in various states of injury but were recovering at a rate above the norm. I managed to distract the others from looking closer into this, which was not too difficult considering the circumstances. However, upon looking closer I am certain that our long search for the collateral line has been discovered." 

Tirich said nothing, just remaining still and silent as it stared out at him before slowly melting into the floor. "I shall report back to the Patriarch, in the meantime, progress onwards with our plan."

So, another chapter is done and with it, Darius finds himself at the mercy of Dr Cessair. Now, if you would like to support me had over to my Patreon at patreon.com/IGG1 or you can head to my Fandom Wiki at https://judgement-day.fandom.com/wiki/Judgement_Day_Wiki. Anyway, hope you all enjoyed it and if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. 

0