Chapter VI – Delusions
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

War of Judgement

Volume I - Survivors

Chapter VI - Delusions

World War 2.

The bloodiest and most destructive conflict in human history. 

The weaponry and development of weapons of mass destruction seen in this conflict resulted in such destruction and chaos that it left millions dead and tens of millions forever scarred. On both sides of the war, no one had been spared from its aftereffects, everyone losing friends and loved ones in the war. 

Yet amongst this conflict, when the Axis Powers seemed unstoppable as they invaded both Russia and laid siege to the United Kingdom, a few individuals revealed themselves. Some were manmade weapons and others were born with wondrous gifts that made them superhuman. 

They were just that. 

Superhumans. 

That was the label they had been given in the beginning. 

However, as they fought for the Allies against the Axis Powers, it was only natural for their enemy to gain such individuals also. With this change, a new facet of war had begun one that saw the heroes under the command of the Allies and the villains under the command of the Axis Powers battled. 

This was the Age of Heroes. 

The First Generation. 

Some called it the Golden Age. 

Yet following this conflict, the villains were vanquished and the heroes reigned supreme. The surviving heroes continued to operate under the name of the Allies and fought against any injustice they saw. Some villains, new and old tried to stand against them but they were all defeated. 

Without a foe to face and with old age creeping up on them, eventually, the heroes also disappeared. It was a bygone era, a once-in-a-lifetime event that would never repeat itself. 

Except, recently things had changed once more. 

New heroes had risen up. 

Solar Flare. 

Deceleration. 

Nebula. 

Banféinní. 

Four heroes had risen to prominence and once more fought against criminals across the world, operating in America and Europe. Their powers were vast and their image became widespread and at the head of them all was the former Allies hero, Banféinní.

One thing that had become clear though to all, was that this new generation of heroes was far superior to the last. Their powers were greater and the swiftness with which they acted was unparalleled. 

The Allies, despite being far superior in number, could not hope to match. Even Banféinní, the Celtic warrior woman had expressed her joy at the new rivals she possessed. Her fellow heroes of the new generation were stronger, faster and more powerful than any of the Allies could hope to match. 

This resulted in the criminals who hoped to survive under their watchful eye having to work harder. None had succeeded though, each gang or individual that rose to challenge them whether out of desperation or foolish pride had been crushed. 

He hated it. 

As a child, he had followed the exploits of the Allies closely, but he had never cheered for them. No, his interest and cheers had been reserved for those who fought against the heroes; the villains. 

There were times when the Allies were beaten, forced to retreat and come back with a new plan. Every time he had watched the shows and read the comics, when others wondered how the heroes would emerge victorious, he had celebrated their defeat.

Finally, the villains had come out on top. 

Yet time and time again, the heroes came back stronger and defeated the villains. Then the Age of Heroes died, but not because the heroes themselves died, but because they had no foes left to vanquish. The anger he had felt in that moment led to the manifestation of his powers, the ability to read minds. 

In the beginning, it had been overwhelming. 

He could hear what people were thinking and every time he stepped outside it had been hell thus leading to his life as a shut-in. That was until Solar Flare arrived on the scene with spectacular powers as he saved lives not only across America but all over the world. 

Then came Banféinní. 

Followed soon by Deceleration and Nebula. 

When he saw the news detail their actions and exploits, a new fire had burned within him. Finally, he had a chance to see his dream come true, to see heroes lose once and for all. He would prove that villains were the true superior Superhumans when he defeated the four whose collective might was a rival for the entirety of the Allies. 

But even better, he had the power to make it happen himself. 

Now with a name of his own choosing, Phantom Mind, he would ensure that the Age of Heroes died at his hands. He would use children and innocents under his control like Darius and Alexander as shields and tools. Heroes would never hurt the innocent and he would take full advantage of that fact to ensure his victory. 

-X-

"In other news, a recent pandemic has struck the state of Utah with dozens of towns being robbed in the middle of the night and yet no one seems to remember a thing. Reports indicate that this may be the work of an Aberration or Superhuman. One who is exercising their powers for personal greed."

Frowning deeply, Carter leaned back into his chair as he lowered the steaming cup of coffee onto the table as a red-haired woman entered the room. As soon as she did, he turned off the TV and looked to her expectantly only for her to ignore him as she moved to sit on the armchair on the other side of the room. 

The action made him sigh quietly, turning back on the TV and switching it off the news. 'Looks like she is still angry at me. Not that I expected her to forgive me straight away.' Carter then looked to the time and back to the red-haired woman. 

"You can go if you want." She said, noticing his gaze. 

"Ava?" He asked questioningly. 

"To Utah." She continued. "You want to go there."

"I do, yes." He said with a nod. "My goal has always been to gather a team of Superhumans together. Especially considering that recently fear towards them has been growing. While the actions of Super Flare and the others have proven that we can be a force for good. Their immense power has made many fear them also."

"A team won't solve that." 

Carter went to say something but held his tongue knowing what happened last time the two had argued about this topic. "Even so, I believe that I can convince whoever is doing this to use their powers for good. They have probably only recently discovered these powers and are only using them in a way that comes easily to them. If I can simply show them another way, I'm sure they would listen."

"Listen?" Ava snarked. "More like recruit them. Go."

"Ava?"

"Just go, Carter." She snapped. "I know I can't stop you, you proved that last time. So just go."

So, another chapter is done and with it, we get to see a bit more about the world including the generic World War 2 hero and villain teams. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed and if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. You can support me at Patreon, patreon.com/IGG1 or head to my Fandom Wiki at https://judgement-day.fandom.com/wiki/Judgement_Day_Wiki. 

0