Chapter 43
28 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I came back to awareness after the trancing was through, I clearly remembered what had occurred up to a certain point. However, I couldn’t recall the details of receiving the spirits blessing. I remembered asking them for it, but then everything faded to white light and the next thing I knew I was staring at the stone ceiling of the room in the temple. I sat up on the altar, feeling mildly disoriented.

“How do you feel?” I heard a voice ask from beside me. Turning my head, I saw that Paul was watching me with a gentle smile on his face.

“I feel… I feel fine,” I answered, assessing my current state. I felt exactly as I had before. For all I knew, it could have been a dream.

“Actually, I wasn’t sure the spirits would appear to you,” Paul admitted. “This is the first time in our known history that they have been called for a human’s sake. But I am glad you are well and that you received their blessing.”

“They did agree to give me their blessing, but it doesn't feel real. It feels like a wild dream and a lot of what they said was hard to follow. They said that I was from the people that forgot them and the place they can’t go,” I told him excitedly, trying to recall what the spirits had said, “but because their child is bonded to me, I can also be their child. There was more, but it was hard to keep track of everything they said. It felt like multiple voices were whispering in my ear, all at the same time.”

“Ah yes, I understand what you mean,” Paul nodded with a knowing smile. He didn't elaborate but I could easily imagine he had experience talking with the spirits. He gestured to the door and said, “it should be about time for us to meet up with your mate again. Shall we?”

I got up at his words and we left the altar behind us. Seraphine and Lyra were waiting beyond the door, and the three beastmen led me down the hall toward the stairs. It wasn’t until I was half way down the stairs that I realized I was still wearing nothing but a piece of fabric around my waist. However, there didn’t seem to be much I could do about that now, so I just continued my descent without comment.

As we reached the bottom of our stairs, Andrian and the other three shamans emerged at the top of theirs. Andrian was clad in a familiar looking piece of fabric tied loosely around his waist. When our eyes met, I naturally drifted over to where he was standing and reached out to him. He immediately took my hand and pulled me into his embrace.

During the time I’d been upstairs, our robes for the ceremony had been delivered and were waiting for us, gently folded on a shelf. The shamans helped us dress in the robes we’d chosen the day before. The detailing had been added, green for Andrian and amber for me, and there were matching pants for us to wear underneath.

Dressed and ready, we exited the temple to find an open carriage with a driver and two horses waiting for us. The carriage had small trees with long dangling branches growing over each of its four corners and it was covered in ivy. The horses’ reins were covered in the same ivy, as was the driver’s seat.

Seeing my questioning gaze, one of the shamans who’d attended Andrian explained, “This is an old tradition, one we don’t normally adhere to. Since your joining is to be such a large event, it was decided that the old traditions should be followed exactly, bizarre as they may be.”

The driver climbed down and opened a door for us to enter the carriage. Except for the trees, which seemed to be growing out of the floor, there was nothing inside but a bench for us to sit on. There were no stairs either, so I had to climb my way into the strange carriage.

We were told that the tradition of arriving in a special carriage was so old that it could be called archaic and had long been removed from the ceremony. The carriages were difficult to build, even more difficult to maintain, and the ceremony didn't require them. But for today, the old traditions would be adhered to for the sake of showmanship. We’d ride inside until we reached the dome and that would be it. I could see why it was removed from the ceremony, given its lack of purpose and expensive upkeep. But I liked it, regardless. Because it was something special that was only for us.

The horse drawn carriage brought us to the dome swiftly, passing through the busy streets with ease. We drew a few curious glances along the way, but no one really paid us any mind. However, it was a different story when we arrived at the dome. Previously, we had left our horses outside when we entered, but today the carriage drove right in. The workers who had been bustling about the previous time I’d been there were all gathered in the open space, watching our arrival with excitement. A few even shouted words of encouragement to us.

The carriage pulled up in front of the building I’d been previously told was used for events and stopped there. In front of the event hall was a collection of the people I’d gotten to know along the way, both the group we’d traveled the Beastlands with as well as the generals I’d met when leaving Vrayna. Uncle Alek was also with the group. They stood, still as statues, holding more ivy and looking solemn. This part of the ceremony had been explained to me, so I wasn’t surprised to see them waiting for us.

We climbed out of the carriage and were adorned in the ivy. One strand was wrapped around our shoulders, and another used to bind our held hands together. Wishes of luck and happiness were given to us, and Uncle Alek embraced us both tightly.

“Congratulations, to my son by blood and my son by choice,” he said quietly. “Nothing could bring me more joy than seeing the two of you like this.”

We thanked him from the bottom of our hearts and entered the building, with our closest acquaintances following behind. Even if it was just for show, their presence was comforting. I'd never known what it was like to feel like there were people on my side.

Inside, the entire Beastlands Council was waiting for us. A long woven carpet, lined with more ivy, led from the door to an altar on the opposite side of the large room. On either side of the wide carpet was the entirety of the Beastlands council, watching us as we entered. As we’d been previously instructed, we walked down the long carpet path with our bound hands in front of us. Silence fell as we made our way to the altar, where an elderly female awaited us.

When we reached where she stood, there was a moment of complete silence before she raised her voice and said, “Children of the spirits, thank you for coming to witness the joining of these two souls, who have traveled the long road to be here.”

Silence greeted her words, but it seemed that was expected, as she smiled deeply and fixed her gaze upon us.

“Andrian, son of Aleksander and Julien de Ramport of Vrayna,” she acknowledged us with a nod of her head, “today we will ask the spirits for their aid in binding your souls and joining your spirits. The night of the new moon shall mark the beginning of your lifelong companionship. Before we begin, I want you to know how blessed I feel to be a part of this unique and beautiful union. When I was first requested to officiate this ceremony, I wanted to refuse. Where I hold no objections to a union between human and beastman, I was deeply concerned by the nature of the joining. Partners without affection and a bastardized ceremony that mocked the very things I stood for. I agreed for the sake of bringing peace to our peoples, but I did so with a heavy heart.”

She paused for a moment as her words penetrated the silence that permeated the large space. She looked out at the beastmen gathered behind us, assessing them with her eyes. I wanted to look behind me to see what she saw, but I thought better of it and waited for her to continue.

“However, the burden has been lifted from my heart upon seeing the two of you before me now. I've heard your story and the darkness you had to overcome to arrive at this point. Tonight, in the darkness of the night of the new moon, we will rejoice in your love entering into the light. Today, under the brightest light of the sun, we shall guide your souls as they become one.

“Everyone who is present, I invite you to join me in calling the spirits, who have already blessed this union. Help me to request their assistance in binding these two souls. From the darkest night comes the brightest day. Andrian and Julien, please take each other's hands.”

She untangled the ivy from around our forearms so we could face each other properly. I grasped both of his hands tightly. I could see my face reflected in his tender gaze and my heart felt full as we waited for her to continue.

“Under the light of the brightest sun, we call upon you, spirits of magic,” the shaman called out. “Show us your power and your presence.”

I felt a cool but pleasant breeze begin blowing through the room. The tiny hairs all over my body stood up at attention and my entire body tingled as the presence of the spirits was made known.

“Andrian, son of Aleksander, before all those who are gathered here, I ask you; is it your will to be joined in both body and spirit to this human?”

“Yes,” Andrian said without hesitation. “It is my will and my life long desire.”

“And Julien de Ramport, I ask you the same; is it your will to be joined in both body and spirit with this man?”

“Yes,” I answered, “it is my will.”

“As both participants have declared this is their will, we shall proceed,” she said with a gentle smile. Then, in a powerful voice, she instructed the crowd, “I will ask everyone to close their physical eyes and open their third eye. You too,” she added softly, glancing at the two of us in front of her. “Close your eyes and open yourselves to the power of the spirits.”

I followed her instructions, closing my eyes to the space around me and allowing my third eye to open. As soon as I’d done so, I felt the breeze that still drifted around the room grow stronger. My heart beat painfully loud inside my chest.

“Spirits, you have granted your blessing to these two souls, and they have both given their consent to this union. Before the eyes of the Beastland council, give me the strength to join these souls in the eternal bonds of love and companionship.”

The breeze became a strong wind and it felt like my entire body was being lifted. I held Andrian's hands tightly, using them as an anchor as the world around me began to feel like it was floating off into the distance.

Fighting the urge to open my eyes, I accepted the stream of power that ran through my body and escaped through my hands into Andrian. Before I could feel relieved that the electrifying current was gone, a different power surged through me, entering me through the very place where the other had escaped. This power was different. Somehow, I could feel Andrian within it. It was like the very essence of his being was coursing through my veins, filling me with his presence. It was exhilarating and felt so good that I had to stifle a moan that tried to escape from my mouth.

“Open your eyes,” the shaman commanded.

As I obeyed her words, I discovered that the feeling of being lifted by the breeze wasn’t just my imagination. We were floating high above the altar, held in the air by the power of the spirits. My breath caught in my throat and I tightened my hold on Andrian’s hands. Perhaps I should have been afraid, but the look of tenderness in Andrian’s eyes stayed my fear.

Our hair blew wildly in the uncontrolled breeze as the shaman continued, “In the eyes of those gathered, in the eyes of the spirits, and in the eyes of your ancestors, you shall be joined for this life and the next. Open yourself to your partner and let their magic flow through you.”

I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do, but Andrian, already bonded to me for so many years, took the lead. Before, I could feel Andrian’s power gently flowing through me, but now it was as if he was invading every fiber of my being. Almost unable to breath, I pushed back, not to reject his invasion, but to begin one of my own. Clumsily, I released my magic into him and couldn’t help but gasp as he accepted it and drew my essence into his body. His eyes flashed green in my vision and I wondered if mine had taken on an amber hue.

As we shared our essence with each other, an act far more intimate than any we’d shared before, our bodies slowly drifted back down and I eventually felt my feet touch the floor. Wrapped in the warmth of the exchange, I had completely forgotten where we were and surrendered to the sensation of being connected to him.

“Bring me the pendants,” the shaman commanded someone, pulling me out of my reverie. I wondered how long we’d been lost in each other, having no sense of the time that had passed.

The pendants were brought to the shaman and she placed them on the altar. She began chanting in a low voice as I continued to cling to Andrian’s hands. As her chanting continued, the pendants began to glow, one shining a vibrant green, the other a soft amber.

When they were both glowing brightly, she picked up the green one and turned to Andrian. Seeming to know what she wanted, he bowed his head so she could place the pendant around his neck.

“By accepting this pendant, you accept your partner as your mate in this life and the next. His will shall be your will and your will shall be his. If he is to suffer, you shall suffer with him. If he is to experience joy, you will feel joy with him. Where one ends, the other will begin. Do you accept this pendant and all that it symbolizes?” she asked in a grave voice.

“Yes, I accept it,” Andrian affirmed as the pendant was placed around his neck. The green glow subsided as soon as the pendant was released from her grasp and lay against his chest.

She picked up the amber pendant and turned to me. Repeating the words she had said to Andrian, the shaman asked me if I would accept the pendant.

“Yes, I accept it,” I agreed, mirroring Andrian’s words. She placed the pendant over my head and the piece of amber touched against my chest. The glow emanating from it faded away once the shaman released it.

“Face your partner and repeat my words as I say them,” she instructed.

The words she uttered sounded similar to her earlier chanting. I had no idea what the words meant, but I could instinctively follow along with the unfamiliar language. As we repeated her words, I felt something deep inside me that, even now, I still can’t put into words. The longer we chanted, the more that feeling built inside of me, until it felt like something would erupt from within me. If not for the feeling of Andrian’s hands in mine, I might have lost myself in that feeling completely. But his presence and his voice, which harmonized with mine as we chanted, kept me grounded.

Finally, as our voices echoed into the room, no more words came from the shamans mouth. In my mind, my heart, and my soul, if only for a moment, nothing existed but the man in front of me. My heart was beating so hard that it felt like my entire body shuddered with each beat. I felt connected to Andrian in a way I’d never felt towards another person before.

“Your souls are now joined, to be forever connected by your will, your magic, and the power of the spirits. To conclude the ceremony, and as a symbol of your eternal union, taste the breath of your mate and experience what it means to be one.”

At her words, Andrian used his grip on my hands to pull me forward so I was pressed against him. We breathed the same air as our hearts pulsed in time with each other. Releasing my hands, Andrian wrapped an arm around my waist, and he used the other arm to raise his hand and caress my face. I leaned into his palm against my cheek and allowed him to raise my chin so I was looking in his eyes.

I was instantly lost in those warm amber eyes, so similar to the pendant around my neck. As his mouth moved to meet mine, I leaned in to him to shorten the distance. As soon as our lips met, a wave came crashing over me and I fell into the kiss like a man drowning. I reached up to grab the back of his head, tangling my fingers tightly in his hair, and wrapped my other arm around him so he couldn't escape. Mine.

I pressed my tongue into his mouth, deepening the kiss, and Andrian’s grip on me tightened as he accepted my invasion. Losing all rationality, I sank into the sensations of his mouth against mine, holding onto him desperately. He was mine and I needed to claim him. It was an animalistic desire, one I’d never experienced before. Mine. Mine. Mine.

The sound of people cheering brought me back to my senses. We reluctantly broke our kiss, both of us drawing in ragged breaths as we tried to calm ourselves. I looked out at the crowd behind us and saw Uncle Alek’s face at the front, hollering and cheering along with the others. Even the grim marshal generals wore smiles on their faces.

Andrian and I clasped hands again and walked into the crowd of beastmen waiting to congratulate us.

3