Chapter 32
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seth was overjoyed with his successful `heist` and went back home with a wide smile on his face. The bumpy roads and loud cacophony of the busy city did nothing to mute his excitement.

As a little reward for himself, Seth bought a bit of pavement and enjoyed his square pizza on the way home.

Once home. Seth redrew what he saw on the parchment blueprint and thanks to his good memory, likely due to his increased intelligence, the entire layout of the Manor was now in front of him.

The layout itself was fairly simple with the 4 floors each being designated into different areas for instance, the 4th floor was offices and other working areas, the 3rd floor was the bedrooms floor as well as the dining room, the second floor had a large banquet hall and other various rarely used rooms, the first floor was almost entirely for servants.

The meditation room was also next to the main bedroom on the 3rd floor.

Now sadly there was no exact vault room, but Seth could narrow down where it could be. He doubted it was on the first floor and the 4th floor whilst likely had important documents on it Seth doubted it had a safe. The second floor was also unlikely to have anything of secrecy in it considering guests walked the halls and these weren't normal guests they were other high-level Barons and other nobility who would sense a fake wall.

That left the 3rd floor which was the bedrooms and meditation room on it. There was also the possibility of a secret basement, but Seth thought that it was a bit too obvious, he wasn't sure maybe he would have to check out that possibility. He still had over 20 days of preparation, so time wasn't an issue.

His next goal was to find some employees.

In particular, one that looked like Seth. This time he wanted to do a bit of infiltration.

Where does one find an employee of a certain Manor, well Seth thought the straightforward answer was to simply look at the exit and wait until the shift ended.

So he did, he waited out in a bakery outside the Lord's Manor. They served great bread in many non-earlike shapes, but the general ingredients stayed the same.

The smell was wonderful and rather distracting but as the sun fell people started to walk out of the Manor gates and into the main street.

Seth, knowing how alluring the smell was Seth bet the warm bread in his hands that at least a few of the employees would drop by and get themselves something to eat. Winning his bet, 4 people started walking in the right direction.

Happy at his guesswork, Seth waited for the four to be seated before he scouted out the person who looked most similar to him.

One was far too obese, another too short. One was about right but had the wrong colour hair and the only other was a bit too skinny.

Before his training, the 4th one would have been a perfect match, but it seemed as though having an above-average physique did come with some issues.

Seth decided he would have to change his hair colour which wasn't as hard as it sounded. This world certainly did not have the chemicals to do it scientifically, but magic made most hard things rather easy.

He trailed his lookalike into his home and once the man fell asleep Seth snuck in with a little lockpicking spell. It was somewhat bright in the night, but the orange glow only made it look like candlelight.

A home invasion with his skills was now incredibly easy and once he snuck in he used his quietest footstep technique to try and find the uniform the worker was wearing previously.

The night was silent and whilst Seth heard his breathing he also heard the snores coming from upstairs. With that reassuring Seth, he made quick work of looking throughout the first floor and he found nothing so without any other place to look he started creeping up the stairs.

Unlike when he was a child, he now had a good rhythm that minimised the sound produced and whilst the snoring got louder Seth's breathing only got quieter.

The sound of the late-night breeze fluttered through a closed shutter and the doors hit the side of the locks as it moved in and out. Seth timed his movement for when the shutter hit the side of the lock and in no time Seth crept into the bedroom of the snoring man.

The room was fairly large with a desk and bed being the main furniture, but a large built-in cupboard did not escape Seth's notice. He looked around the room and found a book on the table, something about Dungeon history and whatnot. A note was written on the wall, `Peace is liberty in tranquillity`. Thinking it was some motivational study mantra Seth left it and continued exploring.

He looked around more and noticed some money in a drawer, Seth immediately felt greedy, but he calmed himself as his focus was on finding a uniform. He found a locket in another drawer which had a little photo of a young Jacob and his parents, They all wore nice little black suits and the photo itself was rather cute.

On the bottom was the caption, `forever in service, the Rein family`

Anyway, getting back to work Seth slowly opened the cupboard and searched for his work uniform.

Pants, socks, and... art pieces were all found but Seth couldn't find what he wanted so he was forced to look further and eventually he managed to find a uniform set that was ready for use.

Seth assumed it was for the day after but sadly Seth couldn't have that. He pulled out the sleeping potion he always had on hand and opened the flask with a "Pop!"

It was louder than Seth expected, and he crept slowly into the cupboard as the snoring man shuffled around and even stopped snoring.

Seth slowly closed the wardrobe only leaving a minimal gap before the man groggily got up and shuffled off the bed.

The man got up and moved towards another room and when Seth heard a light turn on he thought about jumping out the window.

It was all for nothing as Seth heard the sound of urine hitting the water as the man was just taking a late nice piss.

Seth breathed a sigh of relief and so did the sleepy man and before Seth knew it the man crawled back into bed and almost instantly fell back asleep.

Seth with an open potion in hand now walked tip-toed over to the man and held the open flask over the man's nose. He breathed in a large volume of air and Seth started to see the effects of the potion immediately.

The potion itself was developed by an insomniac so it is incredibly effective. Sadly the price put it far out of any regular person's budget or else many would have used it just for convenience. Seth had now used up a third of his back-up potion and this one was specialised for more long-term effects.

This was to give himself more time and although it should last long it wouldn't last long enough so Seth decided to leave a cloth dipped in the potion next to the man Seth reckoned the man would repeatably dose himself until the next day. The potion itself was also created to minimise user resistance so it was somewhat useful in this regard.

You could say this is convenience knowledge but considering the price it would be idiotic for Seth to not know as much as possible about the product that was 500 gold a pop. For reference that was around half a million quid, so Seths wasn't messing around.

Once he was sure the man was breathing it in Seth made his escape by walking out the door.

Thrilling and daring he even jumped down the last two steps, Seth swore his mental age was probably about right for his body.

Once he was out the door and back into the city roads he almost got hit by a carriage but through sheer reaction speed managed to dodge it.

Seth laughed at how close to dying he just was, A smile showed on his face but under his sleeve, his hands shivered. Behind every door was death and Seth needed to be more careful, so he walked home paying attention to his surroundings as he went.

He did manage to notice the name of the carriage that nearly hit him, it had the emblem of a rose over a castle. What that meant Seth hadn't a clue, but he would find out eventually and get some sort of petty revenge. (!!)

For now, Seth slept and woke up early ready for the next day.

By the time the sun was on the horizon, Seth was back at the bakery looking for the first employees to show up. Seth had no way of knowing when their shift started so he just looked out for the first employees to show up.

Before he had arrived he had paid a visit to a local Hair Stylist who coloured his hair correctly and after paying a premium for having him doing it so early in the morning he was completely ready to enter.

Once he saw a couple of people from yesterday start to enter Seth walked his way up to the entrance of the Manor.

1