Chapter 1: First Day, First Troubles…
111 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sebastian Fulltool looked again at his invitation. It was written in such intricate and beautiful letters, not to mention with ink seemingly made of liquid gold, that lad couldn't help but wonder if it was even worth the trouble. All it did was telling whoever needed that he was invited to the famous Mobius Academy - a place where all users of Augmenta could realize their potential. Such was the power that manifested in specific individuals in different way, sometimes called "magic" by the ignorant. In reality, it had many sides and possibilities, which allowed to influence the world around them in a special way: nature, elements, sins, virtues, words, will, and many more. 

"Ughhhhh, what a bother..." But the fact that Mobius Academy had ONLY female students definitely didn't help the case, since no man, EXCEPT HIM, was born with even a semblance of Augmenta. And he, who was most of his life kept under wraps by his family, was now "requested" to join this institution. He could smell troubles awaiting him ahead like a fresh scent of his own well-ironed white shirt and similar pants. "Well, at least there is no uniform, save for this bracelet. I hate uniforms..."

The aforementioned bracelet, which was made from an interesting mix of obsidian, platinum, and gems, came to life when Sebastian finally got the sights on the Academy ahead of him. A small message has appeared on top of it, written with magical words:

"Welcome to Mobius Academy! Please, take your first day acquainting yourself with our glorious establishment where you, no doubt, will have a great time. At 18:00 pm. you have a required meeting with Council Representative. Don't be late!"

Mobius Academy itself was massive. It felt like a small continent on another continent, with several complexes standing respectively away from each other, with each having their own distinct features. Together with a formidable wall of stone and metal, there was also a massive dome-like barrier, which created a beautiful shimmering effect in the morning sunlight. This place taught powerful users of Augmenta - outside world must be protected from outbursts of the young students.

"Oh boy, here it comes..." Lad swore mentally, realizing that he sticks out like a sore thumb. Since it was the first day of school, he was not the only first-year that came at this time. Girls of different races, appearances, clothing, and affiliation also walked towards the place with their belongings, with many staring at him, whispering, and giggling.

Not like it was surprising. News of the first Augmenta-gifted man spread like wildfire, being the major gossip for a week already. And despite Sebastian never considering himself a hot guy, he wasn't ugly or plain either. Thus his likeness, which now could be found in all newspapers, was quite recognizable.

"All good. Next!" Main gate had several smaller gates, which were managed by the vigilant guardswomen, who checked invitations and identity, before allowing students inside. And there was already quite a lot of ques despite the fact that there were ten working checkpoints. Trying not to show his nervousness, Sebastian took 7th line and started waiting for his que. Unfortunately, despite belief, it wasn't the luckiest one...

"Look, there is a male in line..."

"Yeah, I have noticed him too..."

"Isn't he the only man who could use Augmenta?.."

"Aw, he is cute! Do you think I can ask him out?.."

"I wonder what kind of Augmenta he has..."

"Ugh, why is a male here?.."

Pressure was quite immense, despite subtlety. No matter the fact how different in stature the students here were, Sebastian and his visibly manly posture were very noticeable. The closest girls in the que tried their best not to show their interest in his person, while those further away were a lot blunter and obvious in their goals. Please, just let me get through this hell, pleaded gloomy lad to himself as the line moved ahead.

"Excuse me?.." Suddenly he heard a wary voice behind him, turning towards the source. It was a young beastgirl from the fox tribe with orange fur, pretty fluffy ears and a cute face. Her dress was not barbaric, sown from good fabric and had a pretty sun-based ornament on it. "Are you... Sebastian Fulltool?.."

"Aye." She spoke like he would pounce on her at any moment, but he tried to respond as calm and casual as possible. "Nice to meet you."

"N-nice to meet you!.." Upon hearing it, she bowed and looked at him again, a bit more brave this time. Especially those big green eyes - there was rare beastkin that didn't have those, even adult ones. "I am Nina Slyme..." She then did an encouraging and trembling thumbs up, with a nervous smile. "Good luck!.."

It temporarily broke his gloom and reserved demeanor, as Sebastian nodded to her and returned a thankful smile, wishing young student the same. It seems to make her happier.

Guess it is her first day as well, thought to himself Sebastian. It was nice to see he wasn't the only one nervous about it.

"Hey there, buddy~" Unfortunately, instead of a disinterested and barely professional guard who would just check and leave, young male student got a chatty lady with a big smile. She was an older woman, dressed in an armored suit with runes, power crystals, and artifacts attached to it. Her blonde hair did a wonderful job emphasizing her bright toothy grin. "Are you that laddie who is circulating on the news?~"

"Yes, ma'am." He responded shortly and politely. Please, just let me through, his eyes asked.

"Oh, you are nervous?~" She gave him a friendly smack on the back, which felt like a soccer ball hitting his spine full speed. "Relax, mate, you'll like it here~ And we could really use a change of scenery! So many FLOWERS and NO BEES to POLLINATE them!~"

That was said so loudly and clearly that Sebastian felt a great urge to shrink to the size of a bug. Well, here goes my attempt at trying not to stand out, he grumbled inwardly. Other guards either looked at him with understanding pity or glared daggers at their mouthy colleague. Murmurs rose, flushes blossomed, and even more attention got attracted to him. As if evading questioning about his origins was difficult, but now it will become outright impossible. Bloody hell...

"All good, laddie, you can go~" She returned his document and let Sebastian through, giving him a "reassuring" pat on the shoulder. "Take your time and get to know locals one at a time~ I bet you will have admirers in no time!~"

Once lad was sure that woman was far and busy with the next student, he quickened his walk, trying to leave the entry square as soon as possible, feeling hundreds of eyes drilling his back. Please, don't pick on me, he began repeating in his mind, feeling something is about to happen. Please, don't pick on me. Please don't...

"Hey you, Freshman!"

Damn it.

A tall girl crossed his path, looking quite ferocious. Judging by her tan skin, she belonged to desert people, which was also reinforced by the southern type of clothing, keeping her muscular scarred abs open. Dark hair was braided behind her head, while a confident smile showed sharper fangs than humans usually possess. Even the finger, with which she pointed at him, had a much sharper and bigger nail, more akin to a claw.

"Yes?" Sebastian stopped, focusing on her. To not look intimidated, her straightened his back and looked into fiery orange eyes.

"I am Mary Furycore, a second-year demonologist!" She introduced herself proudly, quickly attracting even more attention to their encounter. A crowd began forming around them. "I overheard that woman speaking something about "pollination and flowers"! Care to elaborate?"

"Eh, that was just a joke." Responded Sebastian, slowly stretching himself. He felt that possibility of combat is high. "Nothing close to what I am planning to do here."

"When Agnostia speaks - she doesn't joke! She clearly means that you will be getting frisky with us!" Smug grin of someone totally sure in their abilities was across Mary's face, as she bite her lip. Only a drop of blood appeared, before wound regenerated in an instant. "The question is WHO will be the first!"

"I am here to study and learn, not to get frisky!" Sebastian exclaimed himself, trying to not give the surrounding sorority the wrong idea. "Stereotype about men being horndogs is wrong, if that is your reference, senpai!"

"Nah, I can check its truth directly!~" She began jumping from one leg to another, stretching her neck eagerly. Despite having a sizable bosom, it didn't jump a lot thanks to tight wraps under it. "I wanna test you, male! Let's have a fight!"

It was so clear what her intentions were. A usual bully/delinquent/bored upperclassman who wants to cause a ruckus for fun. And he was now on the receiving end of it. Fuck, why can't my first day start peacefully? He wondered, but didn't show it. And he couldn't say no, since it would drop his worth in the Mobius Academy, subjecting him to more bullying. As a man, he couldn't allow it.

"Fine, but according to rules, there is a reward for the winner!" Sebastian quickly reminded her, seeing as the impatient woman is readying herself for a fight. "You initiated the duel - what is your demand?"

"Oh, I have one in mind!~" She lewdly licked her lips again and declared. "If you lose, I will be your master for the day! You will do everything I ask until it ends!~"

"And if I win?" He squinted his eyes, bending his legs to be prepared for evasion.

"Unlikely, but I will be your servant then!~ All your horny heart desires!~" She seemed overly excited by both possibilities, cracking those bones and grinning like a madman. "You know what, man?!~ Let's make it more interesting for the audience!!! I won't move and you will hit me with your first and strongest attack! Come on, don't be shy! I can take it!!!"

Sebastian gave the crowd around them another look and saw them intently gazing on him. He better play it cool. Hopefully his quickly-concocted plan was enough to deal with her quickly.

"Deal, prepare yourself." He prepared himself, focusing his Augmenta. His mind began working, fueled by the paranormal energy. Imagine...

"That's the spirit!" Mary even spread her legs and hands, completely open to assault from all directions. Including up. "Do your worst!~"

Form...

Surprisingly, crowd was cheering for him more than his opponent. Well, now he has to succeed. Not just due to his own ego, but also as a guy. Despite women being powered by Augmenta and basically dominating many societies, his brothers didn't kneel and continued to compete even without paranormal powers. And they succeeded.

Refine...

"Supply!!!" Yelled Sebastian, making a sound stomp with his right leg, causing waves of Augmenta suddenly radiate from lad's body.

Conjure!

CRUUUUUUSH!!! CLANG-CLANG!

Then something truly unexpected happened. It shocked everyone except Sebastian, causing a momentary silence to set in. Previously smug and overconfident Mary suddenly looked like her eyes were about to leave their orbits, as something very heavy and small landed square onto her heated head. As it bounced slightly and fell to the floor with a series of metal clangs, it turned out to be... a toolbox. Just a normal toolbox made of metal and full of instruments inside.

"GWAK!!! Uhhhhh... guuuuu..." Mary's posture wavered, as she began walking drunkenly around herself, feeling a strong numbing spreading across her body. It continued for several more seconds, until local feisty girl suddenly stopped and faceplanted into the ground, losing consciousness. "Wha?.."

The stunned silence went for a bit more, until growing murmurs started turning into discussions. Before becoming laughs and exclamations:

"What was that?.."

"Did you saw that box just appearing there?!."

"He beat Mary Furycore with one hit..."

"And she is one of the top fighters among the Academy contenders..."

"Is he an artificer?.. That's the only explanation!.."

"He did it!!! Sebastian is victorious!!!"

A round of applause came from all directions, congratulating him on a swift victory. Either Mary wasn't very popular with locals or just like normal people, these girls enjoyed a good show. Perhaps even both.

"Knew you would do great, laddie!~" The familiar voice came from behind with a similarly strong slap on the back that could knock bloody spirit out of your soul. The very same guardwoman with a wide grin winked to him, while checking how several friends of Mary looked if she is still breathing. "First day and already clapping some succulent cheeks?~ Great work~"

"I didn't want this to happen." Sebastian couldn't snap on the elders, but made sure that even his relatively calm response conveyed his displeasure. "She started it."

"You were the one who accepted it, buddy~" Guardwoman's smile was carrying a lot of meanings. The most important was telling the young first-year that it wasn't his last fight. Different schools within Mobius Academy were constantly competing with each other. It was natural selection - strong thrive, weak serve. "I am Agnostia Dunemaw, by the way~ Come and see me when you need an adult or *the adult*~"

Bewildered look in Sebastian's eyes caused her to produce a melodic laughter, before attracting her gaze to the cue again.

"Anyway, have a good day, laddie!~ I will be watching you with great interest~ Now it looks like someone else wants your attention - a different kind than before~ Bye!" And she left back to her post, continuing the sorting process.

The person in question was his first acquaintance of the day - Nina Slyme. He didn't notice her in the crowd at first, but now that it was dispersing, she was still standing and looking at him with big eyes. And once there was a lot less people, she sprung to him, applauding eagerly.

"That was amazing! You just came and knocked her out!" Those big eyes of hers were full of adoration and she trembled with excitement of a fan seeing their idol in action. "You are really strong!"

"Thank you, Nina, but I just got lucky. Mary was too arrogant and allowed me to win by not knowing my Augmenta." He felt happy to be praised, but didn't let it go over his head. Battle went in his advantage, so man didn't consider it to be a fair one. "My power isn't... combat-related, you see."

"But you used it creatively and it became one!" It was kind of different from how meek she was in the beginning, but maybe Nina was just too excited to notice it. "That's what matters!"

"Well, now that that is done..." Mary was already carried to the local infirmary, allowing Sebastian to pick up the very conjured toolbox that won him the fight. It was a bit heavy, so he took it with both hands and turned to his new friend. "Heave-ho! Okay, I need to find someone to sell this to. Would be a shame to just throw it away, since I don't know how to undo this thing. Any ideas, Nina?"

"Hmmmm..." She thought for a moment, cutely wiggling those fox ears, before realization blossomed on her face. "Oh, I know! Artificers are always looking for tools and equipment. Let's go there - I was planning to join them anyway."

"Then lead the way. I didn't have enough time to get acquainted with the map, so please..."

"Yes! Follow me!" She seemed quite happy to provide him with assistance. And she was a whole lot more brave than she seemed. Many students here showed that they wanted to speak with him, but were either shy, hesitant, or just didn't know how to do it. That's what happens when you have one-gendered establishments like this one. Girls are growing to be hermits with no experience interacting with male gender. "Say, I wanted to ask: What is your Augmenta, Nina?"

"Oh, mine is Artificer! It manifested when I accidentally repaired a bike of the merchant passing through my village. She was very happy and proposed to my family to join Mobius Academy!" She was quite proud of herself, but in a cute way. "Now I can make them proud!"

"Good for you."

"So what is your Augmenta, Sebastian?" Fox girl decided to change the subject, leading him through the corridor between two building that looked like experimental labs. "Are you a Wizard?"

"Weeeeeell... that's a bit of a complicated question." It actually was. Sebastian himself didn't know what standard Augmenta his skills belonged to.

"Why so?"

"You see... it is very specialized and not exactly varied like, say, demonology and wizardry." He continued, trying not to make the box rattle too much. "I can... summon supplies. Metals, ingredients, weapons, tools - you name it~ But... that's it, basically."

"But isn't it very useful?! Ingredients are always in high demand, especially the rare and distant ones!" Nina quickly charged to his defense, showing her clenched little fists with a comically confident look. "To gain materials for their projects and needs, students of the Mobius Academy have to explore the Dungeon beneath it. Since usually you can find basic ones on the easier floors for the main stuff, the really rare ones can only be found in dangerous and deep parts. So having the ability to conjure ingredients with Augmenta alone is very valuable! You could earn a lot of money with that!"

"You aren't wrong, but it isn't flashy, combative, and cool for that matter." It did bug him, all things considered. Sebastian wanted to throw fireballs, freeze rivers, and call in monsters, not being able to summon a toolbox on someone's head. Nature truly didn't have favorites. "Anyway, I am still working through it and people said that I am a special case even without being a guy. Since my Augmenta doesn't exactly belong to any established schools specifically, I was allowed freedom to choose my classes and take my time improving that craft to get a better hang of it."

"That's very considerate of them~" Nina smiled warmly, before beaming and pointing ahead. "Oh, look! There is one of the workshops. Let's go and talk with them!"

"Deal."

Workshop that Nina mentioned was part of the Artificer Citadel. It was a compact, layered building of metal, magic crystals, and concrete, reminding a military installation and a black sight. It had a powerful magitech aura, which was supported by many automaton patrolling the area on the ground, in the air, and inside of it. There wasn't many artificers themselves outside, most likely since they are busy working and studying inside. It was a place of science and magic, where both were molded into mechanisms of use and mighty power.

"Huh? A customer?" At first there was no one behind the workshop counter, which like many others was on the outside of the periphery of the complex, where they could easily advertise their products. There was a familiar sound of floating boots and a small girl suddenly flew up from behind the table, landing before two arrived freshmen. She was a dwarf and sported a sturdy set of armored, rune-encrusted boots, leather jacket, and a helmet with a flash-immune visor. Slightly unkept hair was tied behind her back and was ashen in color. "Welcome to "Bits and Bolts". What can I..."

She suddenly stopped talking, fixing her stare on Sebastian. Then she rubbed her piercing blue eyes, before giving him another gaze. Dwarf girl acted as if she saw something that stood out. In a way, she wasn't wrong. Then short artificer gestured them to wait and rummaged in a box under the counter. Then she floated back, carrying a pair of high-quality, but old glasses. And another gaze...

"Okay, girlie..." She said in a deep voice, thoughtfully rubbing her chin. "... I ain't gay, but your manliness makes me reconsider my sexuality. Are you taken? Wanna go on a date?"

Nina's jaw fell down and Sebastian's joined it soon after. Lovely, another weirdo. Did that artificer just saw him as a masculine girl? And asked him on a DATE?! But she didn't allow them to recover from this just yet.

"I will pay you." While dwarf girl's demeanor was serious and somewhat carefree, there was a tint of desperation in her voice. "Please, I wanna feel manly company. And touch. And warmth! If-I-knew-earlier-how-hard-it-would-be-to-live-in-this-bloody-Academy-for-5-years-without-a-single-bloody-guy-I-would-rather-shame-my-ancestors-than-apply-here..." Her speech devolved into a maddened murmur with dead-inside eyes slowly becoming dangerously glassed.

"Is she having a stroke?!" Nina started panicking, frantically looking at her friend for aid.

"Whoa there! Please stop!" Seeing this, Sebastian quickly placed the rattling toolbox on the table and began gently shaking lonely artificer, trying to get her back from her mind. For someone so small, she had solid muscles in them shoulders and a pretty soft skin. "I am not a manly girl, I am a GUY! Snap out of it!"

TWITCH!

The muttering and heavy breathing stopped as a jolt of something went through the entire body of a dwarf girl. Even Sebastian felt it, wondering what was that. But judging by the flushed cheeks of his "acquaintance" and a satisfied smile, he reverted his eyes somewhere that wasn't her lower bits. Or chest.

"Ahhhh~ I needed that~" She looked so elated and stoned, that when lad thought it was safe to let her go, she fell backwards and landed on the rocky floor with a loud bonk. But there wasn't any sound of pain or agony, only a happy little giggle. Even if such drop should've left at least a nasty bruise.

"Dwarfs are... quite tough, huh?" Fox girl carefully checked on her state, before looking at her companion with a confused expression. "Maybe we should visit a different shop?"

"WAIT! Just give me a moment~" There was a sound of pants getting removed and replaced by the spare ones, before a lot more content and dreamily smiling artificer appeared on top of the counter. "All good now. Welcome to "Bits and Bolts", my workshop~ I am Doriana Bleachblack, your humble artificer. How may I help? There is a huge discount for helping me remove several years of dissatisfaction~"

Obviously, those words were addressed to Sebastian, but he preferred to ignore the last bit. Instead, he cleared his throat and said:

"We came to sell some tools. Do you buy as well as sell items, madam Bleachblack?"

"Just Dory, my savior~" She did something that was suppose to be a flirtatious wink, but due to lack of experience it looked quite awkward and comical. "Let me take a look~"

Young lad hauled the toolbox and carefully placed it on the counter, allowing her to run a professional appraisal. Dwarfs could do it very efficiently and accurate.

"Good craftsmanship for a human." She praised him while twirling every single instrument in her nimble fingers. But why she also sniffed and licked them was beyond him. Did dwarfs do this too? Sebastian couldn't say. "Did you make them?"

"I summoned them, if that's what you are asking."

Her brow went up, as curious glint took Dory's eyes. Summoned? Was he a Wizard? Or a special demonologist of Greed? 

"Summoned? An interesting Augmenta~ Did you use them already?"

"No." Sebastian thought that she probably worried about them being secondhand. "They are fresh."

"Pity. I would've used these for something else..." There was something very lewd in that comment, but man could put his finger on it. And didn't want to. "Anyway, I will never say no to a full set of fine tools. How about ten gold pieces?~"

Pause.

"Hold on, isn't that a bit too much?" Now it was Sebastian's turn to quirk his brow, as he looked at this weird artificer. "Usually a set of instruments costs around two or three gold pieces."

"I know~ I did mentioned my gratitude, right?~" Devious smiles were usually demonologists' thing, but this lady still managed to achieved one that could compete with the former. Dory then suddenly spread her hands, waiting patiently for him. "If you hug me closely - I will raise it to TWENTY gold pieces~"

Only now did Sebastian noticed the embarrassed Nina, who listened to all of that with her face reminding a ripe tomato. Since fur was only on some parts of her face and body, her fluster was very easy to notice.

"I will take ten, thank you very much..." The toolbox was placed under the counter and money changed hands. Since lad didn't have much in terms of money, he welcomed some financial support.

WRYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

A sudden screech, which sliced through the seemingly calm air of the campus like a knife, was menacing, powerful, and brutal. As it ended, a dozen more joined, slowly turning into a growing war cry. Seeking the source, Sebastian realized that it came from the gloomy, extravagant, and crimson spiral complex of Demonic Spires. That building belonged to demonologists, masters of demons and infernal. It stood to the east of Artificer Citadel.

"GET IN!!!" Two very strong hands grabbed both freshmen by their shirts and dragged inside of the workshop, leaving both confused and alarmed. They belonged to Doriana, who suddenly dropped her regular demeanor and smashed her fist on the big red button on the side of her counter. Thick metal shutters immediately slid down, covering the entrance completely, before protective runes flared up with defensive magic. There was only left a slit in the middle, big enough for a fist to slide through. "Stay put and don't distract me!"

"Oh no! Is that a Raid?!" Nina was scared for real, hurdling behind the counter with distressed human next to her. "Why on the first day?!"

Raids in Mobius Academy were "previously sealed" events of competitive attacks of one school onto another. Reasons differed: humiliate your opponent, plunder their belongings, destroy a certain facility, kidnap a special person, test your enemy's strength, etc. The terms of Raids were usually discussed by the leaders of the rivalling schools and performed under strict rules. Apparently, this one was exactly like that. And they got caught right between the aggressor and victim.

"Bloody cuntlickers want our booty!" Doriana grabbed a long rifle with circles of rune adorning its barrel and then placed it into the metal slit, adjusting the sights. Magnified magical circles immediately improved her accuracy, as dwarf woman began tracking her targets. "Well, let's see how they will fare this time!"

She gave the two one more look, before returning to the sights.

"If you want to get out of this without becoming hostages, you better help me! Get those ammo racks from the box on top of the rack! I will need to fire without stopping to fend off at least most before they get in melee! Otherwise, we, and especially you, mate, are FUCKED!"

"On it!" Sebastian was the first to spring to action, before urging Nina to help too: "Come on, Nina! I wouldn't want to get snagged in my first day!!!"

"O-okay!" She awkwardly waddled after him, still scared shitless.

Meanwhile the big band was running fast from the Demonic Spires. Those were demonologists, very eager to have fun in another Raid. Artificers had cool toys with high value and also stood conveniently close to them. And they were successful several times before, so the morale for this heist was high. All of the participants looked equally deranged, sporting wide grins and bloodthirsty shining eyes, while sprinting full power besides one another. It was also a competition among themselves - the best will get the loot, respect, and preferences. Maybe even a higher demonic attention...

At the same time on the other side, the Artificer Citadel came to life as well. Many doors and roof tiles opened up, releasing a horde of automatons, armed with all kind of weaponry. Machines moved quickly and efficiently, taking formations in front of the school of their creators, ready to defend it with their lives. Air became thick with magitech drones, ready to support their allies and attack invaders from above. Artificers themselves also didn't stay idle, arming themselves in a wide variety of guns, explosives, magical contraptions, and other ranged weapons capable of hurting and killing even infernal demonologists.

As soon as distance between two groups shortened enough, the brutal fight began. It was the first time when Sebastian saw a real clash between users of Augmenta and it was quite a sight:

Wrath Demonologist in the front got ahead of everyone, allowing a demon inside of her to grant the bearer long serrated claws, which them ripped through the first line of encroaching mechs, cutting at least fifteen in a single swipe... before a high-caliber sniper rifle tore half of her head off, causing a maniacal possessed to disappear in a flurry of dying flame.

Then a follower of Lust jumped high on her succubi wings, making a sensual dance, which heavily distracted artificer shooters, giving demonologist several seconds of advancement... before a guided runic missile struck her slim waist, tearing the possessed apart.

And how a worshipper of Gluttony suddenly got her mouth open as long as her body was and thrice as wide, basically inhaling and devouring a whole bunch of automatons and attacks produced by their enemies... Until she stepped on a masterfully placed frag mine, killing her and wounding a bunch of allies around her.

BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!

The first sniper was Doriana herself, unloading precise shots on the overzealous opponents, only stopping to load a new bullet into the chamber once Sebastian and Nina replaced a spent ammo clip. She was frighteningly accurate, spotting parts of demonologists' weak spots and blowing those with a precise shot. And judging by her calm and collected demeanor, dwarf woman was already used to occurrences like this one.

"We are almost out of ammo!" Panicky voice of a young artificer freshman was like a cold shower for them. Sebastian quickly checked their bullet boxes and realized that she was right. There was just few left.

"Ah, fuck all kinds of duck!" Swore Doriana, unable to do anything else expect shooting. The demonologists almost finished their automaton shield, ready to take care of the artificers' final line of defense. "Guess we are kinda boned! And not in a good way!"

"Wait, there is still a chance to do it!" Thinking quickly, Sebastian looked around the workshop and found a box of freshly made grenades. All frag from the looks and seal on them. He then hurriedly beckoned Nina, before asking her: "Nina, what are frags made out of?!"

"Well!.." Whipped by fear, the young beastgirl began spitting out words: "Metal, saltpeter!.."

Young lad listened to the whole list, while focusing his Augmenta and mind. There was something he could do here that didn't include just pushing ammunition around. He was scared too, but hid it better. And knew that if they are defeated, he will likely be taken as hostage and there was no guarantee that demonologists considered a term "consent" as valid. Especially towards the only male in the whole Academy.

"WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!?!" Screamed Doriana when Sebastian pressed the same red button, which removed metal shutters, and ran towards the approaching demonologists with a box. It wasn't one of hers, it didn't have a special seal. But what was clear are it's contents - a whole bunch of frag grenades.

Sebastian mouth heaved, since unlike a box of tools, creation of the box of frag grenades drained him noticeably. Energy cost of supplies he could conjure greatly depended on their complexity. And unlike simple tools, explosives were much more difficult to make.

"HAAAAA!!!!" Young lad saw eyes of the surviving possessed turning to him, recognizing him, and changing their direction. Having their first male as hostage would be a great victory for the Demonic Spires. Not to mention all the things they could do to him while on their mercy... So he strained all of his muscles, chucking a whole box towards the enemy. "FIRE!!!"

Dwarf artificer hesitated only a second, before her last bullet left the smoking barrel with a loud bang, hitting the closest bomb and engulfing the infernal fatherblowers with a massive barrage of consequent explosions and shrapnel, tearing everything to pieces. The air was filled with smoke and strong smell of chemicals.

"Aaaaaah! Shit!" Despite his bravery and summoned box of explosives, Sebastian did not fully thought this plan through. Explosive wave hit him like a dozen of fiery fists, with several shrapnel bits puncturing his leg and arm. He fell and rolled towards the workshop, coughing blood and wincing from pain. He even lost consciousness for some time.

"Come on, Sebastian! Wake up!" His sight came back when desperate Nina was using all the strength in her fragile body to pull him out of the continuing combat and back to the relative safety of the workshop. "Please! You need to wake up!"

"Ughhhhh..." His body was weak and screamed, especially the limbs. "Ni... na..."

Then poor fox girl froze, when a tall demonologist landed right in front of them. She was a follower of Pride, dressed in such posh and intricate clothing it felt unnecessarily flamboyant and rich. Neatly cut and kept ginger hair was flowing in the smoky air, showing two malicious eyes radiating white energy. Luxurious sword with gems and pretty golden pictures that looked useless for combat was dripping with oil and white energy of Pride.

"Looks like this Raid will be successful after all~" She licked her lips and began slowly approaching a struggling guy and his frantic friend, who did her best to drag him away from the encroaching menace. "You will be my most prized possession~"

"Shitshitshitshitshit!" Doriana, seeing that situation, began rushing around her workshop, seeking any kind of weapon powerful enough to kill a Pride supplicant. But there was none. She thought her rifle was enough and she forgot to restock ammo in time due to bad mood. Dwarf woman was literally barebones right now.

BA-BAM!

Doriana couldn't believe her ears. A gunshot so close? From whom? Other Artificers wouldn't risk going out without additional automatons sweeping the surroundings, so there was no one who could've offed a demonologist so close to her shop. She quickly floated up and was stunned.

"Ghaaaaaaa..." Pride supplicant was holding a bleeding throat. It had two close holes in it. Demonologist looked shocked and after few steps back, she dispersed into white energy, leaving her future victims alone.

"Is that... a Derringer?~" Soon shock changed into amused laughter, as the elder artificer got a closer look. Nina was holding a trembling gun with two smoking barrels, but no ammo clip or drum. It was a small firearm meant to be loaded manually, usually used as an easily concealed weapon for self-defense employed by young and often unwed people. "Did you just kill an actual demonologist with a dinky peashooter, kohai?~"

"I-i-i... t-t-think..." Young fox girl wasn't sure herself. Doriana's professional look told her that this seemingly regular chick made that thing herself. It was kinda crude, rough on the edges, and not as balanced, but it was made with love and dedication. And THAT any good artificer would respect. "L-l-lucky... S-s-shot..."

"Well, lucky or not, let's get your friend and my hero to the clinic~" She helped Nina to get to her senses and started helping to drag the concussed human lad on their shoulders. And if in normal circumstances it would look awkward as hell, considering the difference in height between humans, beastkin, and dwarfs, but thanks to Doriana's floating boots revved on max capacity, she now hovered on the correct level and had more than enough endurance plus strength to spare due to her natural attributes. "You two really helped me and others with that trick~ Could've lost several bags of trinkets if not for that madlad's move~"

She patted Sebastian on the back... before felt his muscles there while Nina wasn't watching. While not a bodybuilder, this human freshman wasn't a weakling. For her credit, she managed to stop herself when that very hand began slipping to lad's buns.

"But... I didn't do anything..."

"You told him what frags are made out of. That's some nice knowledge for a cog* to have~" But a weak apology was quickly turned down by a confident voice. "If you work on that lack of confidence a bit, you will get recognition in this Academy in no time, kohai~"

Nina got flustered, happy to hear these words coming in her direction.

"...Say, kohai, is he packing?" Not that was a very inappropriate question and it came literally out of nowhere. Doriana examined the guy they were carrying with a mix of scientific and lewd interest, which flustered poor beastkin even more. "My kin are usually stubbier but fatter, yet them humans have longer and..."

"Senpai!" Yelped Nina, closing her eyes in embarrassment. "This is inappropriate!!!"

"Live here isolated as long as I did, love, and you will understand~"

They continued their walk, exchanging flustered comments and salacious suggestions, while artificers cleared the mess with their automatons and got back with their business. Demonologist Raid was thwarted... but not unaccounted.

 

*Cog - Artificer term. Means "young one".

5