AA V1 Alagore, Chapter 11
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Space Command, this is Colonel Juliet from the NASA-USSF Research Facility; we are in a developing situation. I do not know how to report this, but the Bridge shut off. I repeat, the Bridge suddenly shut off.

This was not a planned closure of the Bridge. We were expecting the Bridge to shut off on its own in the next thirteen hours. This is not a concrete timer, but an ETA based on energy decay data from the first time the Verliance Aristocracy had come through and since our forces adventured to Alagore.

We are in the process of conducting every diagnostic program we have, and everything is showing green before the shutdown. Power from the two small nuclear modules shows perfect levels, and we have yet to discover a power surge. Capacity was at expected levels.

The point I am making is that the Bridge did not close on our end, and it had to be their end. We were in the middle of receiving a research update from the NASA research team from the other side before everything went silent.

We have attempted three reconnects from the protocols that Fraeya Holiadon had provided us. So far, nothing has succeeded. Previous reports did state that we were having trouble connecting our terminals with this alien interface. We are still investigating on possible solutions, however, at this state, the Special Operations Expedition need to reconnect the Bridge to our side." Colonel Juliet

 

March, 5th, 2048 (military calendar)

Salva, the former Confederacy of Daru'uie

Nevali Region, Aldrida, Alagore

 

*****

 

Hearing the zooming sounds above enemy artillery, Captain Mathew Ryder rushed as hard as he could to the closest cover as impact rounds rained around them. Soldiers and the militia were scattering, seeking shelter, or firing their weapons at the incoming enemy storming the city.

Noticing an open door to a stone building, the captain rushed inside for cover from the raining artillery shells, which he struggled to stop, running into the wall from the momentum. Once Ryder stabilized himself, he saw Sergeant First Class Gregory Barrett and Sergeant Bruno Barrios taking cover inside the building.

"Where the hell did that come from?" Barrios asked as he took position by a window with his M31.

"Clearly, they have artillery." Ryder checked his HUB, hoping to connect with the rest of his team. However, the connection was weak due to some interference. While there was no network to secure, each Itlian Battle Suit had a built-in connection so teams could operate off the grid if needed. Soon enough, his suit got a signal from the rest of Comanche, and they acknowledged that they were still active. Now, he could focus on the task at hand.

"You say that sir," Barrios said. "But does artillery lift the ground?"

Confused by what Bruno Barrios meant, Ryder walked toward the window and looked outside. What he saw was where a shell impacted. Usually, artillery rounds would leave a stain or small crater on the ground from the warehouse or kinetic force; however, this had the opposite effect. The ground was elevated to the height of a man.

That was not the only strange sight they saw. They witnessed one of the enemy artillery rounds forming a giant ice patch within the plaza. Another shell impacted a building. A small but bright light appeared from the impact as part of the building, leaving dark marks everywhere. Every artillery round seemed different. Some incendiary rounds left a dark red gel on whatever it touched. 

"They are using incendiary rounds on us," Ryder said.

"Strange incendiary around I have ever seen," Barrett replied. "They seem more like gel after impact. 

"Why are they throwing ice at us?" Barrios asked as he stared out the window.

Ryder quickly looked toward what the Sergeant was staring at. He saw an ice formation that was still growing from the impact base. "They're not throwing ice at us—the ice forms after impact. Make sense once you think about it. At the temperature, if you are consumed, it will act like liquid nitrogen. At best, your arm becomes an ice cube, and worse, you instantly die. And the bright one seemed to be some energy bomb."

"Boss," Barret said. "These attacks are too accurate to be suppressive fire. They must have a spotter."

"Too quick," Ryder said. "We have not been here long enough for them to deploy a proper recon mission. They had to be watching us longer."

"We could have missed a spotter when we took the city?" Barret said. "Remember that cat thing? One of them could be hiding on any of these rooftops the entire time."

"Possible."

The artillery strikes suddenly stopped, and the sound of small arms intensified. Seeing the rest of his team regroup by more fortified buildings, Ryder decided the three needed to leave their position or risk being cut off.

He does not know why they were recently ordered to abandon the city. Hackett made it clear that they needed to evacuate as many militias as possible to assist in the defense of Indolass, so they needed to hold out as long as they could. Based on the speed of the attack, the Comanche captain was not confident that they would be able to hold out for long.

"Barret and I will cover," Ryder said. "Barrios, you go first."

Ryder aimed his M31 around the building toward the northern hillside, Viking Team's formal position. He saw an entrenched enemy who captured the position before they could, giving them a deception. Firing a couple of rounds, he then ordered the Sergeant to advance.

Flechette from enemy snipers impacted all around, but he maintained his fire. Returning to cover, he checked himself to ensure he was alright. Outside a few marks, he saw no puncture and went back to providing covering fire.

Once Bruno Barrios reached the other side, Ryder took off as his Sergeant First Class provided cover. Flechette and energy bolts continued to impact the area around them, more indirect fire than proper targeting.

In front of him was a pile of rubble that led into a large building. He saw his fellow Comanches creating a position inside as everyone regrouped. Once inside, he stopped and began searching for his XO. Before he could move around the building, he was interrupted by Sergeant Eger Wallace's hand reaching out to him with something within it.

"Welcome to the joint boss," Wallace casually said as he kneeled on the ground. "Doesn't this remind you of Khartoum?"

Ryder gave the 'you have to be kidding me' stare, which only made the sergeant chuckle. Khartoum, a state in Sudan, was one of Comanche's first missions during the Nile War; they held out at some remote village against an Iranian Republican Guard armor column deep behind enemy lines for hours until help arrived. 

"Expect for the lack of RIA armor, yes," Ryder replied.

"Still not the afternoon, boss," Wallace said joyfully. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of gum. "Peppermint?"

This time, Ryder couldn't help but laugh in disbelief at the man's defiance of the present reality. "God damn it, Eger."

Taking the stick of gum, Ryder asked, "Where is Rommel?"

"In the other room coordinating with the other teams."

Hearing an explosion from the residential section of the city, the two looked out the window. They saw Verliance Aristocracy soldiers outside the window securing the previous street intersection. Three Comanche redirected their fire against the new hostiles. 

"The city has been breached, left flank," Ryder said. "Ford!"

Sergeant Benjamin Ford didn't need the captain to finish the order. The man shifted his firing position to the other flank, using the outside rubble for cover. Wallace positioned his M250 and laid suppressive fire against the enemy.

The enemy's advance slowed as they were forced to utilize any cover they could find. Like prior battles, a few shieldmen took formation and acted as protection for their circle. While the enemy shields would absorb a few rounds, they would puncture through soon enough. That wasn't the issue, though, time was. As the enemy secured the intersection and pressed forward, at this rate, Ryder knew that they wouldn't last for long before being forced to retreat.

As the enemy pressed forward into the plaza, two sudden lightning strikes against the enemy formation. The forward infantry was killed, breaking their protective wall. The others were forced to spread out and seek cover. This allowed Ford to fire his M320 grenade launcher, killing two of the circlmen who had taken cover by a broken building.

"Where did the lightning come from?" Wallace asked.

They turned and saw three Rangers using a dead fountain as protection. With them was a Salva militiaman holding a staff standing behind them, only just lowering his hands. His hands, though, were glowing light blue with an electric charge around the glow.

"It must have been him," Ryder replied. "Looks like that strike came from a militia mage."

"Ha," Barrios said with a laugh. "Nice to have that on our side for once."

As the Aristocracy began regrouping. As they did, a hail of .50 caliber rounds streamed through them. While the infantry of this world also adopted heavy armor for protection, even their magically enhanced protection couldn't withstand the famous caliber as the victims of the M2 Browning were torn to shreds.

Seeing the enemy retreat into the intersection, Ryder turned and saw an L-ATV. When it stopped, the vehicle operator continued firing in bursts against the enemy. Four Minutemen exited and opened fire, using the thick doors as protection. In return, energy bolts impacted the armor of the armored vehicle, leaving scorching marks.

Ryder didn't need his IFF system to inform him it was a Minutemen Combat Fire Team, Razorfist Team, their leading being Captain O'ryan Hudson of Razorfist Team. He assumed they were spearheading the Quick Reaction Force from Earth based on how quickly they arrived. "Welcome to the party."

"Thanks," Hudson said. "I will say, not a fan of your guests."

"Their real pricks," Ryder said. "I could use your team to find and secure whatever hole they are coming from."

"Negative Ryder. I am sorry, but my team is not your reinforcements. My orders are to return the elf girl to the Bridge ASAP. This comes straight from the Colonel."

Completely baffled by what Hudson said, Ryder responded, "You came for Fraeya? Why the hell do you need her? Where are we going to lose the city without backup."

"The Bridge is offline, Ryder. The enemy sabotaged it from right under our noses and killed the people who were studying it."

It took a moment for Mathew Ryder to comprehend the gravity of what was said. If the Bridge were out, everyone here would be cut off from Earth. That also meant there was no QRF incoming or no path to retreat. Everyone was now fighting for their lives.

Now Ryder understood why Hackett ordered the evacuation of the militia. After everything he had done to gain their trust, this turn of events would only hamper relations more; however, there was no choice. 

Ryder then turned and called for his second-in-command, which came around the other room.

"These pricks are storming the walls," King said. "They have already secured the southern section of the city. They are intently funneling us toward the northwest gate."

"Rommel, take command of Comanche," Ryder said. "I have to head to the assembly area with Razorfist. It's mission critical. Wait five minutes and pull back to the northern gate."

Warrant Officer 1 Rommel King did not need further explanation. Being the most experienced team member, he understood that whatever the critical reason was, it had to be necessary.

Pushing all other thoughts to the back of Ryder's mind, he turned to the Razorfist leader and said, "Follow me."

The two captains rushed out of the building and through the market plaza. The rest of Razorfist followed behind, providing protection. The enemy focused on occupying the surrounding buildings rather than pushing along the streets. For Ryder, it seemed like his XO was correct. The enemy is trying to squeeze the American force by punching through with brute force. 

Ahead of them, Ryder saw a Ranger squad engaging in a large center three-story building. Somehow, Aristocracy forces slipped past the American defenses and occupied this building, having a tremendous, elevated advantage point throughout the large plaza marketplace. They attempted to pin down retreating American and Militia forces while the main force squeezed them. 

Ryder assumed that the enemy couldn't be a significant force because of the speed with which they occupied it. Even being undermanned, a platoon would still have been noticed. Based on the tactics, the primary conclusion the captain came to be the enemy was focusing on strategic pressures over storming in one assault. The enemy is being careful. They have the same level of understanding of their new enemy compared to them.

This forced Razorfist and Ryder to take cover as they were taking fire from the enemy within the building. Razorfits spread out and joined in the firefight. An Archer IFV approached and fired its CCMS-H into the building, blowing a hole into one of the sides.

The Ranger and three Militia swordsmen squad stormed the building to secure it. At the same time, the Archer took its final position at the center of the plaza to provide cover for the retreating American and militia forces.

"Now or never," Hudson said. 

The two Minutemen left their cover and rushed through a narrow street, heading toward the primary gate toward the northwest. More artillery would rain into the city, forcing them to stay close to the walls. 

One of the shells landed near the two Minutemen captains. The explosion from the impact was a giant electric discharge where raw energy burst all around, catching one of Razorfist's teammates. The two captains stared as they were stunned that the discharge formed a lightning strike that flowed up, the opposite of a traditional lighting strike. 

Two of Razorfits grabbed their comrade and dragged him against the wall. 

"Are you okay?" Hudson asked.

"Yeah," the Minuteman said. "Feel burnt, though." 

Ryder kneeled next to Razorfist captain, analyzing the wounded man. "Consider yourself lucky. The armor seemed to absorb most of the damage." 

"You two, pick him up," Hudson said. 

The two Razorfist lifted the wounded man and wrapped their arms around him. Once they were secured, they rushed forward, knowing they needed to get to the assembly area. For Ryder, it did seem like they were being targeted. Somehow, the enemy slipped in a spotter as the enemy artillery didn't seem random. 

Mathew Ryder saw the militia being organized in the assembly area as they drew closer. While some militiamen were assisting in the fight, using leftover circlets, most were being shuttled off as quickly as possible. His IFF system on his HUD appeared to members of Ghost team who were protecting the evacuation.

Once they reached the assembly area, they quickly found Fraeya. She was assisting officers and non-commissioned officers from Alpha Company headquarters company with translations. Some of the Militia were assisting, gathering many of their kind into smaller groups so it was easier to load into the vehicles. 

The captain was thrilled by the sight. Because most of the city leadership was killed or taken, he was worried that the militia would be helpless without a leader. Seeing that chaos brings opportunity; some were rising to the challenge and not leaving all the heavy lifting to the Americans.

The militia were being loaded into a few trucks that brought Alpha Company. However, there was only enough space for half. The rest, including the Ranger rear guard, would have to march to Indolass.

"Fraeya," Ryder said.

Fraeya turned toward the captain, and a sense of joy returned to her eyes. She looked stressed as her ears were pointed outward. However, she was holding it together as she controlled her breathing. "Captain! I am doing my best."

"I know you are," Ryder said. "But you are being redeployed as of now. You are going with Captain O'ryan Hudson to the Bridge right now. He will fill you in with the details; you must trust me."

"Okay," Fraeya replied. 

Seeing how quickly the elf girl accepted the order, Ryder turned to Hudson as the two stared at each other. He could tell what the other captain was thinking, being impressed by how quickly a civilian accepted the order without question. The elf trusted them so blindly, and it would be funny if it were not during a crisis. 

"Thank you for understanding so easily," Hudson said. "We will protect you, but we must go right now."

The three Razorfist JLTVs appeared. The vehicles were only there briefly; Ryder could see the damage of war. The windows were cracked from flechette impacts. Black scorch marks on the armor plating on the sides. But the armored vehicle still stood. 

The wounded Minutemen were loaded into the back while the others loaded up. Fraeya entered the back of Hudson's lead vehicle, and Razorfist drove off.

Seeing Captain Miller approach and inquire what that was about, Ryder quickly realized that he needed to keep the Bridge offline a secret for fear that it could start a panic and cause a route. He informed the Ghost leader that the order was given to retreat from the city and regroup at Indolass and that they needed to evacuate everyone as quickly as possible.

Ryder had no idea if Miller bought the explanation, but based on his reaction, he didn't. Ghost captain knew better than to press further at the moment.

Deciding to check on Comanche, Ryder closed his VISOR, and his HUD appeared. All Comanche was accounted for. The captain learned that his team was en route, so he rushed through the crowd and headed toward the eastern gate, where his team was heading. As he ran, he saw the firefight from the Rangers against the Aristocracy still on the northern hillside as they desperately held off the enemy's advance.

Looking at his HUD feed of the other units, it seemed the enemy had successfully secured the city's southern section and was pushing toward their position. Even the northeast gate had been taken by the enemy.

Seeing Comanche appear in his HUD as they rushed down one of the many city streets, Ryder regrouped with them. Some looked battered, as if they were involved in a tense firefight. Some of the armor plates were burnt from elecprobus staff weapons. Charlie Higgins, on the other hand, was holding his side. It seemed that a flechette penetrated one of the side modules. 

When Ryder found his XO, he asked, "Rommel, is everyone okay?"

"Everyone is fine, sir," King said. "Higgins was white, but Doc patched him up with the Gel."

"I am good to go, sir," Higgins said, trying to reassure him so he was not taken away from his team. 

Seeing the remains of the white Bio-Sponge around the wound, Ryder knew that the airman would be fine for now. While not a band-aid, the medical innovation helps stabilize the patient until better treatment is available, which is good. 

"Don't push yourself," Ryder said. "The moment you drag, you are heading back to the evac zone."

"Sir," Forest said. "What is going on, sir?"

"Where is our QRF?" Gonzales asked. "They should have been called by now, but I heard nothing over the radio."

"They are not coming," Ryder said. "I will explain once we are out of here, but focus on the task right now."

The unit heard an explosion that was followed up by rifle fire; Ryder walked so he had a better view of the street Comanche had just come through. He saw a squad of Rangers falling back. Two of them were covering the retreat. They quickly dropped from a barrage of flechette, and enemy bolts followed up, the enemy securing the street. 

"Comanche," Ryder said. "Defensive line."

Everyone acknowledged the order and took a defensive position. While the Americans expected the Aristocracy to appear from the main street, weapons fire came from the interior of the nearby buildings. The enemy saw them and redirected their fire toward the Minutemen Combat Fire Team.

As the firefight began, Comanche engaged the Aristocracy force as they covered the retreating Rangers. They were initially protecting the gate. However, it fell to the enemy. Some stopped to briefly cover their teammates while others were carrying wounded and equipment.

Seeing that a small group of Rangers was pinned, Sergeant Bruno Barrios stood armed with a Carl Gustaf recoilless rifle and fired the rocket into the second floor of a building. The enemy fire stopped as one of the enemies fell out of the newly created hole within the structure.

While Comanche continued, Ryder saw the first lieutenant of the platoon. Needing information, he stopped him and asked, "How many are there?"

"At least a battalion, sir," the lieutenant said. "I am sorry, sir, we held out as long as possible."

"You gave them hell, Ranger," Ryder said. "Get your platoon to the evacuation site. Everyone marching out of here."

"Roger," the lieutenant said. "Also, sir. We encountered this four-legged vehicle protecting their infantry. It has this clear crystal ball, and our weapons struggled to get past it."

The enemy weapon platform that the lieutenant described reminded Ryder of the amplifier tower they dealt with in the morning. Based on the information, the enemy had a smaller, mobile weapon version. He patted the lieutenant on the shoulder and ordered him to fall in with his unit.

The firefight continued as the enemy was forced to advance on Comanche. Ryder wondered how the enemy could zero in on their position so quickly. They knew when to call in support fire and how to flank their positions. They did find communication devices, so a spotter had to zero in on their position—however, no team reported in any scouts.

He then saw Staff Sergeant Kurt Forest getting his attention, pointing to a nearby building rooftop.

The captain expected to see a scout hiding on the roof, like one of those previous nekos. However, his eyes saw nothing. Hearing Forest state that he saw an object hiding right underneath a roof gutter, a reflective shine from the sunlight got his attention. Focusing his eyes, he saw a small ball about the size of a soccer ball. It was hovering, using a pair of wings like a dragonfly.

"What do you see?" King asked.

"They have drones," Ryder replied. He then fired his rifle and popped a few rounds toward the enemy drone, to which it flew away.

"That explains how they know where we are," King said.

Sir," Higgins said. "All Rangers have fallen back."

Quickly doing a second check, Ryder saw that Comanche was alone. Knowing they couldn't hold this position or risk being flanked, he decided to return to a better position. 

After retreating more profoundly into the city to a new position, they witnessed the enemy forming. Like Indolass, the enemy began two lines of shieldmen with additional infantry. More infantry formed behind them; however, Ryder couldn't confirm what other types of infantry were behind them. Either way, they were outnumbered.

The enemy line started marching forward in near synchronization. A new threat emerged behind them: a four-legged machine appeared, the size of a van. It was skeleton in nature compared to American bulky vehicles. The legs have armored plates, and in front was a man who seemed to be driving the construct, holding an orb. On top of it was this massive crystal ball with bright energy emitting from the center of it, looking like the orb they discovered on Mars but far more significant and see-through. There were also these six thin metal barrels with the tips glowing.

"It is a mobile amplifier," Ford said. 

The team's heavy weapons specialist, Sergeant Eger Wallace, fired his M250 toward the shield as they already had learned that the weapon could quickly pierce their shields. This time, though, the bullets were deflected before impacting their target. In return, Barrios fired a second rocket toward this amplifier, which was also deflected.

The amplifier tower from before was more of an area of effect platform compared to this. This enemy construct seemed to be designed to support the infantry over a greater area, which concerned the captain. 

Rommel King rushed to his captain and said, "That thing will be a problem."

"We just have to hold out a little longer,' Ryder said.

"We need to flank that thing to target those shieldmen," King said. "Good chance their swordsmen right behind, waiting to storm us, and we won't have time to react."

"Those snipers are removing any options we have to flank it," Ryder replied. "Splitting up now, and we will be overrun in minutes."

Seeing the giant orb on top of the amplifier glow before discharging a yellow-orange blast. The blast went over Comanche's head and headed toward their rear. Only moments after the explosion went past the team, the sound of cannon fire and loud shells that zoomed overhead impacted the enemy position, forcing the operator to activate the amplifier barrier. However, the forward infantry was killed while the rest rushed to the building sides to seek cover from the sudden cannon fire. 

Wondering what happened, Ryder turned and saw an M30 Archer roll up, firing its autocannon. The infantry fighting vehicle armor was steaming from taking a direct hit from the amplifier.

Seeing that their big guns were not as effective as hoped, Comanche did what they could to provide additional support. The enemy changed tactics besides recreating one extensive line and bushing against Comanche, the enemy formed against the walls, creating two seprate shieldwalls, and pushing forward. They covered the elecprobus and circiletum as they provided suppressive fire against the American forces. 

Finally getting relief, Ryder saw his communication specialist, Sergeant Charlie Higgins, rushing toward his position while holding a hand against his helmet. "Boss. Evacuation is complete, and we are ordered to fall back."

"Thank god." Before Ryder could give the order to retreat, Forest warned everyone that a new hostile vehicle appeared.

Mathew Ryder saw a second four-legged machine walking to the right of the crystal ball one. This one, however, had a cannon beside an orb, like the ballista that Comanche destroyed at the temple. While having the same skeleton design, it had six of those same barrel-like devices to the sides, behind the cannon. Based on the design and from prior principles of how enemy weapons work. Most likely, it was an oversized coil gun.

Understanding the new threat, Ryder did not want to take risks at this point, as the city had already lost a second time. "Comanche, fall back!" Ryder ordered.

As Comanche began falling back, using the Archer as protection. That was when the captain heard Ford state that he saw a glow on top of one of the nearby buildings. Ryder saw a mage on the roof while holding a staff. 

The enemy Battle Mage cast a spell before Ryder could order his team to respond, and the ground shook. The ground under the left side of the M30 Archer collapsed into an oversized ditch. The IFV side fell into the ground, preventing it from retreating.

The enemy coil gun platform fired at the trapped Archer. The projectile impacts its side, causing an explosion. The impact destroyed the front left side of the infantry fighting vehicle, and a small fire started. 

Seeing that their rearguard was destroyed, Ryder was forced to stop as he saw his XO rushing back to the advancing enemy. He turned to see why and noticed the rear ramp opened halfway of the Archer before becoming stuck. This could only mean someone was still alive within the wreck. "Comanche, hold up. Twins, with me."

The three quickly followed behind Rommel King as the XO tried to open the ramp wide enough to allow the crewwomen to get out. Once they reached the Archer, Bruno Barrios and Mathew Ryder took positions to cover. At the same time, Eger Wallace used his oversized strength to help widen the ramp gap.

The enemy quickly surrounded their position. The circilmen were laying a suppressive fire, and Ryder saw the enemy melee forces gathering in preparation for an assault. If not for the other Comanche members providing rear cover, they would have been swarmed by now.

Trying to check the situation, Ryder saw a crewwoman pull out of Archer. To his confusion, they dropped the crewwoman back into the vehicle and pointed toward him.

Ryder turned and saw this strange-looking bulky soldier charging toward Benjamin Ford with a giant war hammer. The bulky warrior did not have many modules around his body, unlike the Akuma from Mars or an IRiSS. Like vehicles, this was also a skeleton, with each limb connected to a box with a crystal inside. It was clear that this was some magitech robotic warrior.

Ford redirected his fire against the construct-warrior, but that didn't stop it as it jolted toward their position. Once it got close, the construct swung its hammer into the Comanche warrior, knocking the man into the Archer.

It seemed like the ax failed to penetrate the armor this time. However, the robot prepared for its second strike, which would kill the sergeant. 

Before the hammer was swung down, though, Eger Wallace intervened and grabbed the construct-warrior arm, preventing it from striking him.

As the three-hundred-pound muscle known as Wallace fought against the alien robot, Ryder saw his opportunity to grab Benjamin Ford. Quickly checking the sergeant's pulse, he found that Ford was alive. Quickly pulling the man back to the rear of the Archer, Ford caught and looked around in a panic. It was clear the only reason the man survived the attack was thanks to the battle suit. However, that still didn't stop the kinetic damage one would feel. 

"You are okay, Ben," Ryder said. "You just got the wind knocked out of you."

"I think so," Ford said as he caught his breath.

Seeing that Benjamin Ford was all right, Ryder turned to the melee fight and aimed his M31. He saw additional Aristocracy moving along the stone buildings to outflank them. He was forced to focus on them and fired his rifle, giving Wallace cover.

The construct-warrior thrusted Wallace into the Archer, forcing him to let go. The robot raised its hammer for a killing strike, but the Sergeant grabbed the arm and used his strength to push the construct to aim against the IFV hull. The bulky Comanche gripped his two fists and swung them high, giving his opponent a powerful uppercut. The construct-warrior stepped backward. This allowed him to follow up the attack with an additional kick to give himself some breathing room.

This was thanks to the Itlian battle skin exoskeleton battle suit, giving him the extra boost Wallace needed to damage the construct and knock it back. Then grabbed the construct-warrior and rammed the head into the hull of the Archer before being knocked away hard by the robotic arm. Ryder caught his teammate. Seeing a small dent in the helmet and blood dripping from the man's forehead. "Stand clear, Eger."

"No," Wallace said with a determined tone. He shook off his captain's grip and pulled out his tomahawk. The construct-warrior stood up and charged toward the man. He stood there and struck that construct-warrior with his metal melee weapon. The tip got hooked by a point, and he flung it around, ramming it into the smoldering part of the Archer IFV hull.

Unhooking the tomahawk, the construct-warrior stood momentarily before turning to face the Comanche warrior. Wallace didn't give it a chance to react as he swung his ax again into its arm, slicing it in two. He then grabbed the construct and brought it onto the ground.

Wallace then grabbed the construct warrior's arm and used all his strength to break the remaining arm. Once he believed that the arm was disabled, he grabbed his tomahawk and swung it into the construct-warrior head, cutting it from the rest of the body. This seemed to kill it, finally.

Once the construct-warrior was dead, Wallace stood up, staring at the construct as he gripped his tomahawk. "He did not know who he was fucking with."

Matthew Ryder saw his teammate's facial reaction, staring at the construct. Being a ladies man, he had always been a pain in his side. However, the captain was always loyal and great in a tight jam like this. Even with the armored gloves, though, he noticed the Twin sergeant shaking his hand from the melee fighting against a metal robot.

Seeing additional construct-warrior and swordsmen charging forward, Ryder aimed at his M31 three shots into the nearby hostile before they could strike Wallace. The caliber seemed to stop the construct, giving his teammate enough time to slice its head off the rest of the boy.

The two Comanche soldiers then saw more hostile firing toward them as a large flechette projectile came forward. It suddenly burst in front of everyone, impacting some energy shields. The captain turned to his right and saw a militiaman battle mage holding out his hands.

"You okay, kid?" Wallace said.

"Yes," Ford replied as he stood behind, helped up by Wallace. 

"Wallace," Ryder said. "Good job but help get the crewwoman so we can get out of here."

Wallace returned the order with a thumbs up as if the situation did not faze him. It always impressed the captain how little got under the man's skin. He then took cover by the ruined Archer and maintained suppressive fire, hopefully buying enough time to get the crewwoman out of the vehicle. 

As Ryder's teammate walked away, he turned to the battle mage providing protection. A few other militiamen also came, providing cover. The mage was a Lat male. While the captain couldn't understand the man, he knew what he was saying. Hurry up.

A shirtless Nagel joined both the Twins and helped pull the ramp down. The ramp slowly lowered as the three bulky humans were enough to finally create a large enough opening for the crewwoman to escape.

With the Nagel and additional militiamen’s aid, they were able to get the crewwoman out. The Nagel, not having a weapon of his own, took the woman and carried her back to friendly lines. The twins followed as they provided protection, slowly walking backward while firing their weapons. 

Seeing that the mission was accomplished, Ryder gave the order to retreat. Rommel's rear team provided cover, while Ryder's team fell back. Once they regrouped, Comanche and the remaining Militiamen rushed toward the northwest gate where Ghost and Viking provided rearguard. 

"About time, Comanche," Miller said. "We got your six. Let's get out of here."

Ryder stopped and turned to the city. He saw the enemy rushing until three small explosions appeared before them. Millar said that Alpha company mortars covered them while they escaped.

The term escape did not settle well for the Comanche Captain. Not in this context, anyway. He had few combat defeats in his career. He could imagine the enemy flooding through and understood where they were going next. He now understood how the militia felt and why they were so angry.

However, his mentor, Colonel Hackett, always said a defeat was good occasionally. One cannot learn and adapt if one is consistently winning. A physiologist Kallem seemed to practice as he came prepared this time.

As Gregory Barrett confirmed that all of Comanche was accounted for, Rommel King approached Ryder and asked, "Let me guess. The Bridge closed, and we are stuck here."

Ryder turned to his XO, wanting to ask how he knew. However, Rommel King was wise and figured it out quickly as it made the most logical sense.

Seeing the lack of response from Ryder, King knew he had his answer. "I see. So, this is how it ends."

Ryder turned back to the city. "No. This is how it begins." 

 

1