AA V1 Alagore, Chapter 13
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The Men and Women of the Minutemen and 5th Rangers, the enemy is upon us. The rumors are true that the enemy disabled the Bridge to Earth; however, our experts are working on it, and I am confident they will repair the portal quickly. However, it will take time.

You are soldiers of the United States, freedom fighters for the land of the free and home of the brave. When the enemy attacks, we will fight and not surrender. From the Private to the ranking commander, I will stand fast and face this threat. Time is the key, and we will perform our duty to God and Country. 

We all will hold out. Our country was built in dire situations. A hundred and four years ago, during the Siege of Bastogne, the 101st Airborne was surrounded by one of the most extreme Utopianists in 20th Century. For six days, the men at Bastogne withstood three Divisions against the NAZIs until the 3rd Army arrived and won. 

We are new to this world; however, the people of these lands requested our presence. We will not allow first contact with people in needed against the ideologies that we worked so hard to extinguish just to be defeated now. We will not show this world we can be easily defeated but will stand here and now and come out on top. No matter what. This is Colonel Hackett."

 

 

March, 5th, 2048 (Military Calendar)

Temple of Indolass, the former Confederacy of Daru'uie

Nevali Region, Aldrida, Alagore

 

*****

 

With a nearby blast, Captain Mathew Ryder was forced to take cover in a nearby sandbag bunker. Three other Rangers were also in the bunker, all stopping what they were doing and facing the sudden officer.

"I am fine," Ryder said. "Back to your jobs."

The three Rangers went back to their duties. One fired his machine gun at the ridge line while the additional provided support. The last Ranger had a range finder, directing mortar fire using pre-established markers as guidance.

The Rangers returned to their duties, and Ryder took a moment to look out and see the battleground. As predicted, the enemy took position among the ridgeline and started suppressive fire against their forces. Flechette rained upon the Americans from the enemy circiletum. Enemy artillery pounded the positions within the temple, just like what happened in Salva.

In return, tracers from the forward companies lit the valley as a hail of bullets, grenades, and rockets poured into the countryside. Mortar from the three company support platoons impacted the enemy positions to dislodge them. A string of 20mm sprayed the sky from the M911 Bolas C-RAM to counter the many incoming enemy shells. The remaining JLTVs and the remaining four Archers engaged the enemy.

With the Aristocracy on the ridge, Ryder told the range finder to focus the mortars on that position. To his eye confusion, he saw the ridgeline morphing, folding, and unfolding into and out of the cliff. From what he could theorize, mages are manipulated to the edge to protect their forces. Then, the ground disappeared, allowing the enemy infantry to utilize their ranged weapons. With the main path to the temple, the enemy crawlers had their shieldwall deployed, providing some protection for the advancing enemy.

An IRiSS stood, guarding one of the Hesco entrances. The robot soldier fired its M250 machine gun in bursts toward the enemy ridge occupied. An energy bolt impacted its right side, causing the robot to step back but regain footing.

That was when the IRiSS turned to the captain and said, "Captain. I, your command."

Knowing he could use some cover, Ryder ordered the IRiSS to take point and escort the captain to his team.

Seeing his opportunity to break cover, the captain left the bunker and rushed down the slope. Moved through the exterior defensive line to where his team was. He saw friendly soldiers firing from their positions or seeking cover. Flechette and energy bolts impacted all around him, straying around over direct.

A large incendiary explosion near him caught some of the sandbags and tents on fire. He pulled down his helmet silver VISOR to protect his eyesight. The Hesco bastion withstood the intense pressure from enemy weapons, providing stable protection.

When the captain reached the exterior defensive line, his HUD highlighted the Combat Fire Team-1 position. The team was holding a Hesco bastion bunker network with the 2nd platoon of Charlie Company. They stared at the primary slope leading directly to the temple from this position.

Dodging enemy fire, Ryder felt like he flew into the Hesco bunker as he entered, desperate to escape being in the open. He was greeted by his second in command, Warrant Officer 1 Rommel King. The IRiSS took position by the wall, assisting the team with extra fire support.

"I thought you were calling in sick, sir," King said.

"If I knew that was an option, I might have," Ryder replied. "What is the situation?"

"Just rain so far," King said. "How well we held then in Salva must have given them a second to pause."

"How well we held?" Higgins said as he turned from his station. "We got thrown out of that city before their main force arrived."

Rommel King turned to the Air Force Sergeant. "And yet, Comanche is alive. Their mistake and make them pay for it."

"First to fight!" Everyone in the unit yelled a section of the Minutemen motto. 

That was when everyone noticed the sunshine slowly started to fade as a low-level dark cloud started covering the temple. 

"Where the hell did this darkness come from?" Gonzales asked. "I thought it was supposed to be morning?"

"I have no idea," Ryder replied. "Probably some magical spell."

"That is starting to get on my nerves," Forest said. "But it should give us additional cover."

Seeing that Ryder XO had the team situated in the defense, he pulled Rommel to the side. "Don't expect this to last long; they're just trying to soften us up. I don't expect special tactics this time around. I think they are going to strike us hard."

"Because any delay gives more time to Fraeya to open the Bridge? King asked.

"Exactly."

The ground shook from a nearby explosion, impacting one of the Ranger's bunkers. Based on the report over the radio, the bunker was consumed by ice, trapping the gunner within it with an additional soldier arm also being trapped by the rune artillery around.

Ryder already knew that the first man was already dead. This was not a comic book where you thawed the trapped person, and they were good to go. There was no way of changing that result. The other Ranger would lose his arm.

"This is going to get ugly quick," King commented.

Mathew Ryder couldn't respond as he already accepted that reality. All he could hope was that God was on their side today. But he also understood miracles only happened by those who acted, so he was not prepared to give up now.

Turning to check on his team, he saw Wallace firing his machine gun from the bunker opening. Forest was on the fixed Browning, firing .50 calibers toward the enemy position. Barret coordinated everyone's fire while Ford was standing on a structure, firing his M31 over the top of the Hesco.

"Sir," Barrios said. "I think I saw where that came from. It was one of those Accelerator Walkers."

Ryder walked toward Bruno Barrios and looked over the Hesco. In the distance, taking cover by the many rough terrain edges, he saw a circiletum peaking over a ridged hillside. The design looked like what they faced in Salva, which took out the Archer.

Strangely, after the Accelerator Walker fired a shot, the circiletum lowered itself out of sight. While Ryder understood little of these walkers and crawlers, he understood they had legs besides tracks or wheels. The design was a skeleton in nature that allowed them to move on extreme terrain. This also could mean these platforms could raise and lower their primary weapon because they lack a structural hull. To his surprise, while the infantry of this world seemed to focus heavily on armor, their vehicles appeared to be less focused on protection and more on mobility.

"Smart bastard," Ryder said. "When it peaks, can you get a lock with the Atlatl?"

"Yes, I can," Barrios said with a confident tone. "That bastard won't know what is coming."

Patting Barrios on the shoulder, Ryde then turned to his team. "Everyone, when that Accelerator poked his head out, I want heavy cover fire for Barrios."

Feeling the energetic reaction from the team that he was hoping for, the captain turned toward the enemy. He looked through the scope of his rifle. He saw the enemy moving into position for an attack. To his surprise, no shieldmen were forming up to take a point but circilmen instead. Among them are more of those warrior-machines from Salva. The enemy was planning something.

Seeing the Accelerator Walker poke its circilmen above the ridgeline, it fired another volley into the American camp. Ryder ordered everyone to open fire. Barrios then fired the Atlatl, a fire-and-forget anti-tank launcher. The missile fired in top attack mode to avoid all the terrain and flew high into the air.

When the missile started curving down and headed to the opposite ridgeline, the Comanche watched as the missile went behind the ridged hill. Soon afterward, a large, bright white explosion appeared, followed by red flames and black smoke. The Americans were thrilled that they could destroy the enemy Walker, and a slight sense of defiance spread among them.

That was until the enemy started charging their position, which forced them to duck.

Hoping down from the elevated position, Ryder rushed toward Wallace's position and looked out from the bunker hole.

The giant enemy force that the captain was expecting had finally come. What looked like a company-size force was approaching with what he assumed was the rest of the battalion right behind. In front of them were these small six-legged crawlers. Unlike the larger Walkers, these deployed a large metal barricade that protected the enemy circilmen, creating a small makeshift bunker and giving the approaching enemy cover.

Among the crawlers, the same Orb Walker approached and joined the fray. One was projecting the same energy shield around the infantry while the other launched a stream of fire, like one of the old WW2-era flamethrower Shermans at their defensive position. When the Americans returned fire, the Orb Walker protected its comrades.

 

*****

 

Watching the enemy's position come to life, the Lord of Verliance Aristocracy could only feel pain, not within his chest. Seeing the battle and the carnage that was unfolding, this was what he fought so hard to prevent. War coming to the Aristocracy.

As the battle unfolded, the Lord stared at one of the many vision screens linked to the many Seekers. Witnessing the intensity of the fight, he was forced to admit that the Altaerrie were not as weak as many thought.

The enemy was well entrenched, and they were giving it all. Their weapons, while crude, proved to be effective. The Unity could only match their projectiles' speed; even then, he did not know. If it were not for the fact that his forces outnumbered them three to one, this battle would have been different.

On the other hand, he was not entirely impressed by the enemy. After witnessing one of the enemy artilleries bombard the ridgeline and being easily deflected by a mage barrier, he wondered if the enemy weapons had any bit to them. With the type of weapons the enemy had already displayed, he expected their artillery to have far more of a reach and punch than what he witnessed. He questioned if their real ranged weapons were still on Altaerrie, and if so, it only convinced him that he had to win now.

If time had not been against this army, Kallem would have preferred a siege to wear the enemy down, as he did against Salva and the Hispana Palatini. At the time, he did not fully grasp the situation and didn't intend to make that same mistake.

"The enemy has proven to be troublesome," Verlcon said.

"Yes, they are," Kallem replied.

While the enemy used a chemical base projectile - which still baffled the Lord of Verliance Aristocracy – he quickly realized that his infantry would suffer many more casualties than he expected when they breached the first line. While he had the numbers to replace the forward forces, it was not a factor he felt comfortable sacrificing.

"Verlcon," Kallem said. "Drop summoner rounds behind the first enemy line. Then I want the mina assault force to strike when they are divided."

"I will give the order," Verlcon said.

Witnessing the strike from the Accelerators Walker took out an enemy fortification; he started to see that the enemy position was faltering. The Walkers were designed to support the infantry, which is perfect for this terrain type compared to the enemy mobile machines.

To his confusion, a strange bright projectile left from one of the forward bunkers and flew straight up into the air. He and the rest of his staff couldn't help but gaze at the bright projectile as it continued to claim into the air. It suddenly made a tight arc, heading straight down.

When Kallem realized it was heading to the Accelerator Walker while it was behind cover, the projectile impacted the construct and exploded. The mana batteries amplified the explosion, creating a chain reaction, leaving an ongoing powerful fire.

Kallem then turned toward the ridgeline and saw another enemy, small artillery, impact one of the energy shields, which collapsed and killed some of the infantry. Even the enemy's heavy constructs began firing their cannons against the ridgeline when the enemy realized the importance of the flank. While mana-based defensive spells are effective, their endurance matches the user. After blocking so many shells, the shield finally failed. One of those heavily armored tracked vehicles appeared on the front and started focusing on the crawlers.

"We do not have time," Kallem said. "Order the assault now. Get the artillery to focus fire on that battery."

Turning to the many visions screen, Kallem watched the primary infantry formation prepare for their assault. Another screen showed the enemy battery that was taking a dent against his artillery strike. He understood that he had to take it out so his full might could adequately cover his advancing infantry.

The bright red lights that streamed out of the enemy battery took out two more shells, only allowing two others to impact the enemy position. One round could get through the enemy defenses with the next barrage, striking a large, round-shaped structure.

Feeling the ground shake, everyone suddenly looked toward the enemy camp. There was a small but mighty and bright explosion. Quickly afterward, all the lights disappeared throughout the enemy camp.

"It seemed we took out the enemy power supply," Verlcon said.

"It seemed we have," Kallem said. "Continue the bombardment."

 

*****

 

Hearing the giant explosion, Mathew Ryder turned around and saw a fire within the inner temple. The trail of red tracer rounds died out as the only defense against the enemy artillery stopped.

"The enemy just took out our C-RAM," Rommel King said.

"That means we have nothing to defend against their bombardment," Ryder said.

"I don't think that will matter," Barrett said.

Turning to see what his Sergeant First Class meant, he saw the enemy battalion advancing. While the Archer and the Rangers battered the enemy first line, it seemed only to dent them.

Seeing the enemy ranged forces take point as they advanced, using crawlers and mages to provide protection was very different from Salva and the First Battle of Indolass. The enemy is deploying their shieldmen to the rear, being the circilmen. This made Ryder debate if the enemy kept them in reserve until they could break the American defensive line, knowing they could pick them off when in the open.

"Barrios, fire the Atlatl again," Ryder ordered,

Bruno Barrios fired the anti-tank missile. The American anti-tank weapons exploded on the barrier created by the Amplifier Walker. This allowed the enemy to move within about two hundred meters of their position, nearly unfazed.

"Ryder," Forest said. "We are about to be overwhelmed."

Staring at the enemy walker, Ryder struggled to find a counter. While the crawlers were annoying, they could find a way around them; however, the Amplifier focused more on defense than offense this time. He knew there had to be a weakness but couldn't see one they could exploit.

"Ryder," King said. "Maybe it isn't a bubble but only projects in the line of fire?"

"That could be possible," Ryder replied. "But how do we flank it?"

Seeing no response from his second-in-command, Ryder realized there was no option they could exploit. Maybe during a different battlefield where they had room to maneuver where they could flank; however, their backs were literally against the wall, and the neck was slowly squeezed.

Turning back to the front, the enemy was too close to comfort. However, the circilmen stopped. They remained in position, providing suppressive fire against the American position.

That was when Ryder saw the enemy shieldmen and melee forces approaching from behind. The enemy tried to keep them pinned down while they brought up their melee forces—applied pressure while overwhelming their position.

"Rommel, Gregory," Ryder said. "Prepare to fall back. The enemy are going to swarm our position with their melee forces."

"If we leave the bunker, their ranged force will pick us off," King said.

"That or stay here and face off against a weapon that can damage our battle suit," Barret said. "Damn if you do, damn if you don't."

As the enemy approached, they heard the artillery sounds, and everyone took cover. The rounds impacted the ground. Hearing no explosion, everyone looked and noticed the ground was rumbling. Comanche looked toward the rear and saw small craters in the ground.

The small craters started moving until they turned into giant, earth-type monsters. Four arms and four legs, being more of an insect than a humanoid.

"We are being flanked," Ryder yelled. As half of his team turned to engage the enemy monsters, he aimed his rifle and fired a few rounds into it. However, their bullets had no effect as they shot at dirt, not flesh.

Ryder quickly pointed to Barrios and Ford to use their heavy weapons against the new threat. At the same time, everyone focused on the incoming infantry.

Barrios grabbed his rocket launcher and fired it into one of the monsters, while Ford did the same with his grenade launcher, both destroying their targets.

Ryder saw other earth monsters attacking the Minutemen and Ranger's positions, witnessing the same struggle as they had. All the Captain could do was hope they would live long enough to apply their knowledge.

The captain returned to the enemy front and saw the Aristocracy melee force attack the American bunker network. One of the swordsmen climbed on top of the Hesco bastion. The nearby IRiSS noticed the incoming hostile breaking the wall, grabbed the swordsman by the foot, and slammed the hostile into the ground with brute force.

As the Aristocracy swordsmen struggled to stand back up, the IRiSS aimed his machine gun and fired a burst into the body, killing the enemy soldier. Then, the robot backed up until it had a better view of the entire Hesco, shooting any hostiles coming over the wall.

"To all commands, this is Actual," Hackett said. "Fall back to the secondary line. Deploying IRiSS and Bigdogs to provide cover."

Thrilled by the order, Ryder knew their position was intangible, so he ordered Comanche to retreat. The team left the bunker. In front of them, the remaining robotic soldiers approached, engaging the earth monsters and enemies coming over the walls.

Ryder stopped halfway by one of the curved natural pillars of this temple. The captain fired his M31, trying to suppress fire to cover his team and the other Rangers. A part of the pillar blew as an energy bolt impacted it. The burst from the raw energy spread, being blocked thanks to his silver VISOR.

A burst of airburst rounds impacted the Hesco bastion, killing the enemies climbing over it. Turning to see the Archer, Ryder saw its armor steaming from the enemy energy attacks. In self-defense, it fired one of its active defense systems, impacting a project; however, a secondary attack struck the turret of the infantry fighting vehicle.

Seeing the final living Ranger, he started pulling back and rejoined his team, who were setting up a defense at the last line. As Ryder settled in, he heard over the radio that Charlie and Bravo companies had fallen back.

However, turning to see the enemy successfully occupying their previous position, he had yet to learn how long this could take. There was no additional falling back.

 

1