AA V1 Alagore, Chapter 2
40 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The Pentagon has reported that they launched fifteen Macahuitl subsonic cruise missiles struck nine critical Iranian facilities and proxies within central Iraq. The rockets were fired from both sea and land bases. Colonel Baxter stated that the Republican Guard was gathering strength for a large-scale offensive against Turkish forces.

For the better part of a decade, the two great regional powers have had an on-and-off conflict for influence and control of what remains of Iraq, Syria, the Turkish states within Central Asia, and the Caucasus. The Republic of Türkiye and the Islamic Republic of Iran have been competing for control as they strengthen.

While relations between the West and Türkiye remain strained, the United States and the Commonwealth Union stated they would continue their support to prevent the Eurasian Union from a monopoly on energy supplies, the Union being military backed by a Russian-Iranian Alliance sometimes called an Alliance. The Western European League has been hesitant to support Türkiye for fear that the nation could become a rival in European politics. However, the Republic of India has remained strong, and outside influence should be limited to allow a peaceful outcome to accrue.

While the Pentagon stated that the missile volley was in response to a rising threat in the region, others believe that the strike was in retaliation for a series of pirate attacks within the Apollo Asteroid Group. The military has denied this claim.” - New Age Digital News

 

March, 1st, 2048 (Military Calendar)

“The Bunker” Bar

Fort Carson, Colorado, United States

 

*****

 

Grabbing the twelve beer bottles from the counter, Sergeant Benjamin Ford returned to the rest of the team. As he handed out the beers, he saw the bulk of Comanche. The only exceptions were their CO, Captain Ryder, and XO, Warrant Officer 1 Rommel King.

"About time," Wallace said as he grabbed two beers. 

"I do believe everyone only gets one," Ford said.

"House rules," Wallace said. "New guy pays for the night."

"Yeah, but only for the unit. Not for the entire bar or your friend here."

Eger Wallace chuckled as he wrapped his arm around a woman wearing blue cat earphones who sat beside him. The Sergeant kissed her on the forehead after handing her a beer, making her blush. 

Bruno Barrios grabbed two beers for himself and his date before leaning into the new guy. "And besides, it wouldn't be a party without these mami chulas."

Watching the two men cheer their beers before taking a drink, Benjamin Ford fully realized why the rest of the team called them the Twins—watching the two bounce off each other and having similar tastes. They, indeed, were inseparable. 

Two other teammates played pool while the Twins were chatting with their dates. The Air Force Combat Control Team attachment, Sergeant Charlie Higgins, who deals with all the team communication, and the team medic, Sergeant Marcos Gonzales, were playing together. The other was the team Staff Sergeant, Kurt Forest, sitting with his wife, Josephine. 

Ford walked over to the Staff Sergeant. "Here are your drinks."

"Thank you," Forest said. He then reached out and grabbed two bottles with his robotic arm. Thanks to his mechanical hand, He opened the two bottles without needing a bottle opener.

Benjamin Ford had not been on the team long enough to feel comfortable to ask what happened to Forest's arm. It was clear he lost it in combat. These medical innovations had come a long way, so he needed clarification about why the Staff Sergeant picked the skeleton version over a more human-looking arm. 

As Ford turned to leave, he was stopped by Forest.

"Hey, Benjamin," Forest said. "Good job today. Keep that up, and you will fit in in no time."

"Thank you," Ford said. "I worked hard to get to this unit."

The new Sergeant headed to the pool table. He saw Higgins hit the solid-colored ball, impacting two other balls, which rolled into separate holes. 

"That is what we call skill, my friend," Higgins said.

Gonzales saw Ford and waved him over. Once the new team member arrived, he grabbed one of the remaining beers on the tray. "Thank you for the drinks."

"Kind of BS that you guys won't let me drink," Ford said.

“Nope,” Gonzales said. "If you want to be part of this team, you must pay the bill."

"It always could be worse, rookie," Higgins said. "At least you are part of the same branch. With me, the Twins made me wear a dress at the mall."

As the two continued, Ford heard Wallace calling out that they needed two more beers. Seeing that he was out, the new team member headed to the counter for another round. 

"I hope they are not giving you too much trouble," Barrett said. "They are just figuring out your tolerance level, so don't take it personally."

"I had far worse," Ford replied. 

"Like the pig?"

Benjamin Ford stared at his new Non-Commission Officer with a shocked but blank stare, shocked that he knew that story.

He understood the point of the team ritual. The newest member had to go through some rite of passage to prove their worth. When he first joined the Green Berets, they had him try to chase some farmer pig in the Philippines. Looking back, he wondered if his NCO was trying to pay off a debt with the Philippines Special Forces, and he was just too dumb to notice. 

"How did you know?"

"You're kidding, right?" Barret said. "Do you think I wouldn't talk with your formal unit? It was literally the first thing he brought up. And besides, I came from the Greens and still have a few friends there."

Taking a frustrated breath, Ford decided to shrug it off. "Yeah. As I said, I had it worse. Just don't tell them, please."

"I promise," Barret replied. "Kurt and Charlies probably would be more discreet, but the Twins would never let it go."

"Understood," Ford said as he grabbed the four beers. 

"Before you go, I want to ask," Barret said. "What brought you here? Your former NCO said you didn't show much interest in advancing through your career. Kind of hitting the ceiling. Then, just one day, like a switch, you pushed yourself for something more."

I placed the tray on the counter and stared at the four beer bottles. "Been asking that myself, honestly. Promise not to tell anyone?"

"Unless it affects unit effectiveness, we are tight."

"Caught my girlfriend cheating on me with my best friend. Her excuse was that he was going somewhere in life, and I was just going with the flow."

"I get it," Barret said. He took a drink from his beer and turned around, leaning against the counter. "Sadly, it comes with the job. I just want you to understand that I respect that you want to prove yourself; I really do. Don't let her excuse get to you. A cheat will say anything to justify their evil deeds and, more importantly, don't become one."

Benjamin Ford thought momentarily as he tried to find the words to help express his feelings. However, the proper worlds didn't form. Some of him still wondered why he was trying to do what he was doing. That was when he felt the Sergeant First Class pat him on the back, feeling a renewed courage to speak his mind.

"I just saw this as a good opportunity," Ford said. "Being a new unit, doing something new. Pushing myself to be better, I hope to find myself. I know that sounded like cringe."

"Not at all," Barret said. "Trust me, you will fit right in."

"Because of what I just said?" Ford asked, confused by the statement.

"Of course," Barret replied. "I learned a long time ago never to trust an unscared man. I am not talking about a damaged but a scared one."

"What are the differences between them?"

"A scared man has perspective. Values. They know where the lines are, and most importantly, they don't let their surroundings defeat or define them. A damaged man lets that moment bring them to their knees. My point is, own what happened. Accept it and move on."

Surprised by the lecture, Ford reflected on what was said. He quickly respected Sergeant First Class Gregory Barrett when he first joined Comanche, and this only reinforced why he did. While he did not know how to take the advice, he knew there was value. 

Hearing a guitar suddenly playing, he turned and saw Edge Wallace sitting on a stool and playing a slow, classical-rock theme song. 

Bruno Barrios, on the other hand, stood as he placed his right foot in a footrest. He then took out a harmonica from his right pocket. The two girls giggled at the sight, probably thinking how childish the instrument was. That was until he started playing a slow classical style, syncing with his buddy Wallace's rhythm. 

Forest placed his racket down and embraced his wife. The two begin dancing in an open area to the calm, classic sound of the Twin's music. 

 

*****

 

Entering the bar, Rommel King looked around and noticed the place was busy. However, he heard familiar live music and followed it. 

Not having to adventure far, he saw the team in the back corner playing pool and chatting. 

After the strange twist from today's training, the Warrant Officer 1 did not see any lack of morals. He talked with Mathew Ryder before everyone left for the night and noticed something was wrong. The two had a short conversation, during which the captain said something strange had happened, and something in the background was in motion. 

King couldn't disagree as he had noticed a mood change among the brass. The training made no sense, and it was not a software engineer prank, meaning that there was a hidden meaning behind the training. 

Bruno Barrios was the first to notice the Warrant Officer and waved him over. That informed the rest of the group that he had arrived, and they also invited him over. 

Passing through the busy bar, King reached the team. "Good, even gentlemen and ladies." 

"About time you got here," Wallace said. "Benjamin here was about to close the tab."

King chucked and then signed to the new Sergeant to order two more beers. Seeing a grown look, he said, "Be happy. This is all you have to do. Ryder and I had to drink until we blacked out."

"I love this story," Barret said as he forced himself to stop laughing. 

"What happened?" Ford asked. "If I am paying, I should at least get to know."

"Well, it is pretty black and white," King said. "I think I won, but the Boss put up a fight. But the more I think back, the more I think the others at the time just wanted us to get black-out drunk so they could braid out hairs."

Gregory Barrett laughed and then pulled out his cell phone. "Here is a picture. They went all morning, not realizing we highlighted their hair and sparked their cheeks."

"I did not know about this," Wallace said.

"Because we don't like telling you things," King said. "Anyway, I hope you are keeping tonight's conversations public-friendly."

"Always, sir," Barret said. "Regardless how wacky today way."

"Wacky it was," King said. "The captain expects more wacky things from now on, so stay frosty. But for now, relax and enjoy your evening. And don't get too hammered, as we have an early morning tomorrow."

Once the next round of drinks arrived, each grabbed one and cheered before taking a drink.

 

 

March, 1st, 2048 (Military Calendar)

Colonel Hackett Home

Fort Carson, Colorado

 

*****

 

In the center of a group of physically framed photos, above an active fireplace, Mathew Ryder's eyes were focused on a particular one. It is not quick at the center of all the other frames, just slightly toward the right of the center. 

The picture was an old still photo, surrounded by a thin black wood frame. Around it was dozens of digital frames with multiple photos cycling through the screen. However, the one he focused on was different. As if it was locked in time.

It was an old black and white still photo of William Hackett in some jungle village in Mexico. He was a young captain, commanding his first Green Beret unit. It was him standing with a large Mexican family eating lunch. PR relations at their finest. 

While Ryder did not know of the location, he understood that Hackett served in fighting against the Cartels in Mexico and Latin America early in his career. This was part of an effort to help economically integrate the US-Mexico to become one of the most influential industrial alliances in the world, creating economic security within North America. The violence and instability from the Cartels were the most significant threat, as the US needed Mexico as a replacement for China's industry or face industrial stagnation. While this was mostly successful, the Cartels remained a threat, proving very adaptive, giving North American enemies a vulnerable spot against the Astralis-Superpower. 

The old Post-WW2 global economic order from the early 2000s fragmented into a more regional base system, bringing chaos worldwide. The experts stated that this happened for many reasons; some say it was because there were too many regional powers for one superpower to manage. Others contribute to the fact that there are more older people than younger in most developed and developing nations, shifting global economic supply chains and industries. Others believe it was because of resources and countries seeking to secure food and freshwater supplies. 

While this damaged the United States, it allowed the government to readjust its interests like most countries. Besides being spread out, trying to maintain order, economic security for other nations, or combat radicals in every corner of the world, the US was able to refocus and choose more carefully where to intervene, which alliances to maintain, which regional bloc to have positive or negative relations with, and so on. This allowed for much-needed domestic investment like industry, space, energy, and family demographics. 

For Ryder, he believed that it was a combination of everything. While he does not think that he was smart enough to have answers to big problems, he had learned from Hackett that it was rarely one reason why a crisis happened but many smaller ones building up until a dam breaks. 

Staring at the black and white photo, Ryder only wondered if his mentor understood how important that moment was, protecting those Mexican farmers. If Hackett knew that was going to be the beginning of a new era or was doing another day's job. If intentionally making a choice, understanding that moment would have long-lasting ripple effects or following orders. That only made the captain wonder how someone would know when a moment unfolds. If you recognize the moment when it appears or look back and understand it in hindsight.

"What are you looking at?"

Ryder turned and saw his mentor coming into the living room. "Your first deployment."

"That one?" Hackett said. "Every time you come here; you always stare at that one."

"It was your first time leading an SFOD," Ryder said.

"Yes, it was," Hackett said as he approached the captain's side, staring at the photo. "Let me remind you, Mathew, don't compare yourself to me. The Army does not want copy-past robotic officers."

Ryder understood what the Colonel meant. For the better part of five years, he had guided him, molding him into his image. To become not just a great officer but a well-rounded person. Hackett believed that the other areas in one's life - that being in business, family, and spiritual had a strong effect on being an officer. Being a well-rounded person over being a one-dimensional type only made the person a better officer and man. 

Especially in recent years, the captain had begun struggling with confidence with his wife. If it wasn't for Hackett's mentorship, Ryder knew he probably wouldn't be in the military right now and be sulking in some dead-end job lost in life. He stared at the black-and-white photo, struggling to push aside the pain.

"It was not that, sir," Ryder said.

Surprised by the response, Hackett turned to his junior officer and asked, "Then what are you thinking?"

Ryder smirked but didn't feel comfortable starting another conversation about his life. He knew he would need an answer to the other questions he wanted to address with their training. "That colored pictures were invented a hundred years ago, and you still have dinosaur pictures. I am surprised you haven't put up the colored one yet."

"Because it's timeless."

"I know; I was just joking."

Hackett placed his hand on Ryder's shoulder as he smirked. "I am sorry, son, you made the joke. Now, it's my turn to bore you with a lecture."

"Damnit." Ryder thought as he began listening to his mentor.

"The reason I keep this old style of photography is because it is a reminder of not just that day but a reminder of life. We had the world's most advanced technology, yet fighting those Cartels required a human touch. Because something is new or advanced does not always mean it is better. Every time I look at it, that moment freezes in time. I know this can be hard, but sometimes, less is more."

Ryder already knew what his mentor would say, as this was not the first time they had had this conversation. He understood the point, and on principle, he agreed. He heard stories from the previous generations that saw the most remarkable technological expansion before the Dark Decade of the 20s and 30s.

While many would call people like Hackett a fossil for having such beliefs, Ryder disagreed. During his time with the Colonel, he had learned a unique perspective. The problem with most people was that they embraced only the future or the past. The two ideologies are constantly waging a forever war in a constant struggle. However, the true and lasting answer is for the two sides to find balance, as each is needed to thrive.

"I get it."

"I know you do, but I will tell you anyway. I want you to understand Matt." Hackett then pointed to one of the digital photos. "Everyone who comes here, not just you, always focus on my photo from Mexico. You notice the digital ones as the pictures fade in and out, but they are never what attracted you. Do you know why?"

"Same reason why you keep harping on me to stick with physical media?" Ryder replied.

"Correct," Hackett said. "These digital photos come and go. Your mind knows they are not there, so it does not emphasize those moments. It's more like a memory you suddenly remembered but then slipped away. Out of sight, out of mind." He then pointed back to his Mexico photo. "Because this one is always there on a real piece of paper, your mind doesn't only acknowledge the authenticity of it but knows it is real. Capturing a real moment in time."

Ryder stared at his mentor, trying to understand the man's meaning entirely. "I get what you are saying. A lot of people would call you a primitivist."

"Not at all," Hackett said. "My point is balance. We must embrace the future but not forget what made us who we are and what works. Otherwise, you lose who you are and become slaves to the ones in power."

"I see why that photo is your favorite."

"It was for a while, but I grew up," Hackett then pointed to another still photo to the right, which showed other Minutemen warriors. "If your favorite picture is yourself, that is all you can be." 

Ryder looked over and quickly recognized it. It was a photo of his time in Iraq, assisting NATO special forces in countering Iranian expansion into what remained of Iraq. Next to them was a young First Lieutenant from the 173rd Airborne Brigade. Himself. 

It was when he first met William Hackett. Their team was pinned down by the Iranian Republican Guard and were cut off by Samarra. Ryder’s company was para-dropped to support the NATO special forces in an emergency. 

The operation went differently than planned. Once the company broke through to the special forces, they were again surrounded by enemy reinforcements. The company captain was killed early in the engagement, and Mathew Ryder was forced to take command of the company. Together, both sides held out for thirty-three hours until Turkish ground forces broke through, ending the siege. And that was how he began a career in the Special Forces. Hackett was impressed by the lieutenant at the time and pushed him into the Green Berets. 

"I didn't realize that was your favorite," Ryder said.

"When you get to my age and position, if you are not helping the next generation, then you're not a man," Hackett said. "It was why our country nearly tore itself apart a couple of decades ago. We didn't help the next generation and allowed our enemies to do so. Hopefully, one day, you will be able to mold the next generation. There is no greater honor, in my opinion."

Staring at his mentor and then at the Iraq photo, Ryder crossed his arms and felt important. 

Hackett noticed and said, "Don't let it get to your head. The other officers I recruit into the Minutemen are also up here. Remember what I said about focusing on yourself."

The captain chuckled, but he heard someone enter the room before he could respond.

"Hello, boys." Hackett's wife, Barb, entered the room, carrying two fresh cold beer bottles. She walked up and passed the drinks to the two men. "It seemed like you two were having a deep conversation; what was it about. But Matt, we should get a group picture before you go."

As Barbe pulled out her cell phone and held it up high for the group photo, Ryder looked toward his mentor with the 'should I tell her what you said about self-importance' look. He chuckled when he saw Hackett give the 'don't you dare say a word to my wife' death stare. 

Seeing the stare, Ryder only chuckled as he enjoyed the night.

2