Chapter 37: Pack Attack
291 1 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We have time before nightfall. Let's track that Grimm to its pack. Remember, stay downwind from it." Oobleck pointed to the lone retreating Grimm.

 

Ruby, curiously, inquiries, "How long will that take?" As the group started to trail after it.

 

"Grimm have been known to be isolated from their pack for months," Oobleck starts, his voice in a lecturing tone.

 

However, Kyra's sharp observation halts them. "And there is the pack, no one panic." Kyra quickly stops them all, realizing that if even one of them has any bit of internal panic, they will attract the entire pack.

 

Weiss started to shake upon seeing the massive pack of Beowolfs, the sheer number enticing a little of the fear staying in the back of her mind, Kyra started to quietly count the horde, when one of their heads snapped over to them with a small bark, the rest similarly creepily snapping toward them, Weiss specifically.

 

"They see us," Kyra calmly stated, her Blue Rose flourished with skill as she readied herself for the approaching horde.

 

"Yes! They smell fear, it seems someone got scared." Oobleck stated, looking at the 50+

Grimm slowly prowling toward the group.

 

"S-so what d-do we do?" Weiss stutters out, her fear in her voice as she readies her weapon, Myrtenaster.

 

"Well, it is flight or fight, and three of us are not able to boost our speed with our semblance." Oobleck points out as he takes another sip of his coffee mix.

 

"I can boost my speed, I just can't control it." Yang says, slightly petulantly, as she racks her Ember Celica and smiles, the battle junkie ready for a bloody brawl.

 

"Okay, two of us would run too slowly to get away, so show me what you got." Oobleck, pointing forward and getting the rest of the students to smile.

 

"Kyra, can you please sit this one out." Ruby asks, with puppy eyes, to her girlfriend. Kyra froze for a moment before conceding.

 

"Fine." Kyra mutters, pouting, her Blue Rose disappearing. She stands next to Oobleck, pulling a sniper rifle out of the Pip-boy. The rest of RWBYS suddenly split and run in different directions.

 

"Let's find a better place to observe from." Oobleck proposes, as the four disperse, Kyra nods, grabbing Professor Oobleck and jumping away to a roof to watch.

 

Out of the 60 total Grimm, 21 followed Ruby, 23 Yang, 15 after Blake, and 11 after Weiss. "Already off to a bad start." Kyra comments, her eyes tracking her team with Oobleck.

 

"Yes, they are wasting energy splitting up, however it turns the enemies advantage in numbers into something more manageable." Oobleck mentions as Ruby suddenly turns around and fires a barrage of ammunition at the Grimm following her, taking six of twenty-one out.

 

"Right after I told her not to waste ammo." Kyra clicks her tongue in annoyance, wincing ever so slightly at Ruby’s ignorance of her advice and the following display.

 

"Yes, you have plenty of spare, though." Oobleck turns, taking in Kyra’s pensive look as her tail slightly sways in the air.

 

"True, I see your point, by constantly being with me. I carry the basic necessities at all times for a trip like this, however, if I am not with them. They won’t have any of that…" She sighed slightly, “I guess I started a bad habit.” Kyra winces again as they observe Ruby switch her Crescent Rose to scythe-mode and launch herself at the 15 remaining Grimm. 

 

"30 shots, 6 kills... I should train her in accuracy." Kyra cringes.

 

"So, you seem like you have done missions like these before." Oobleck makes an observation he had picked up on known.

 

'I used to do high adventure in high school mountain climbing, white water rafting, backpacking for miles. I know all the basics for a scouting trip.' Kyra stayed silent, her thoughts turning back to her past life, her shoulders tensed a bit and the good Professor picked up on it.

 

"If it's hard to talk about, you don't have to." Oobleck says, resting a gentle hand on her shoulder.

 

Kyra skilfully redirects the conversation from the discomfort of discussing herself after a moment of silence, instead providing insightful observations about their team's combat styles to Professor Oobleck.

 

"Ruby's semblance is ideal for hit-and-run tactics. While she's using her Semblance, she's essentially immune to attacks," Kyra explains, glancing over at Blake, subtly diverting attention, her rifle now pointed over in the direction of the Black Haired Cat Girl.

 

"Blake relies heavily on her semblance, which strains her stamina. Her reflexes are impressive, but it seems she's not accustomed to prolonged battles," Oobleck notes, another sip from his weapon/coffee container.

 

"Indeed, none of them are seasoned in prolonged engagements," Kyra affirms, shifting her focus to Yang, witnessing her engaging the Grimm without using ammunition. Her fists shattering bones with massive impacts.

 

"Yang might be conserving ammo, but she might also be enjoying the thrill of bare-handed combat too much," Kyra speculates, explaining Yang's thrill-seeking nature to Oobleck, she was somewhat distracted by the sight of a Grimm's head being blown off while Yang rode another.

 

"Thrill seeker?" Oobleck queries, taking mental notes of everything Kyra said.

 

"Yes, she finds excitement in traveling and fighting, although she still values helping others," Kyra clarifies before turning her attention to Weiss, the girl struggling with her own group.

 

Kyra assesses Weiss's struggle, "She's struggling the most—expending excessive energy despite facing fewer Grimm than the others, her form is rigged and practiced with no variation." Oobleck observes quietly, noting that Weiss was the second to eliminate all her attackers after Ruby.

 

=================

Weiss's perspective shifts as she manages to vanquish the last Grimm, aiming precisely at its weak point. With a final strike, the creature collapses, lifeless and turning to dust. Exhausted, she relaxes her guard, attempting to catch her breath amid the chaos.

 

"By the Brothers, how does Kyra manage this? These creatures are pure nightmare fuel," Weiss muttered, her voice trembling slightly between labored breaths, her thoughts racing with the severity of the situation.

 

Unbeknownst to her, amidst the haze of fatigue and relief, a twelfth Grimm had silently moved closer, its foul breath creeping upon her neck. In that fleeting moment of respite, she felt a shiver run down her spine—a primal warning of danger too late to heed.

 

Weiss heard a sound behind her, and whirled around, her heart leaping into her throat as she found herself face-to-face with a grotesque Beowolf, its rancid breath hot on her skin. Its snarling jaws gaped open, and blood-red mask marking it as a variant, well-prepared to maul her.

 

The Beowolf had its mouth open, inches from her face, a strangled gasp escaped Weiss's lips as terror seized her, freezing her in place. Time seemed to slow to a crawl, she could do nothing but watch as the Beowolf's haunting snarl reverberated in her ears. The massive maw closing in on her faster than she could move. 

 

The world moved ever so slower for her as her body responded too slowly to her command, Weiss is forced to watch the jaws snapping hungrily toward her. Her short life flashing before her eyes. Tears started appearing in the corner of her eyes. Only for the maws to be cut short by a deafening explosion, the Grimm's head erupted like a party popper. Like how one would imagine a halo grunt birthday party skull in action, showering Weiss with a sickening spray of dark ichor which evaporated into nothing, not even dust. 

 

Weiss, shocked and trembling, stumbled back, falling on to her ass, tears streaming down her face, her weapon dropped on the ground to her side.

 

==================

Kyra's POV

 

"She let her guard down, it's almost like she wants to die." Kyra says, her rifle smoking in her hands from the barrel, she stood up from her properly braced stance.

 

"Well done." Oobleck says, realizing that Kyra is really experienced at hunting and made a damn good overwatch, especially with her aim. He had spotted the variant sneaking up on Weiss way too late for him to react, he had been checking on the others at the time after all, however Kyra had it covered.  

"If I handled everything for them, how are they supposed to grow?" Kyra says, grabbing Oobleck and hopping down from the building. Regrouping with everyone, she came up to a tired Blake, a mentally exhausted Weiss, a normal Ruby, and an excited Yang. 

 

"Can you leave me down here, I wish to talk to your teammates." Oobleck says, getting put down.

 

"Wish to find out about them for yourself?" Kyra asks with a raised brow and crossed arms as she shifted her weight to one leg.

 

Oobleck nodded.

 

"Go right ahead, I will be protecting them from the shadows. Hopefully they can grow and learn. Maybe they will understand themselves better by the end of the mission." Kyra says with a smile holding her High impact .50 caliber sniper rifle that she doesn't sell through Stark industries.

26