Chapter 39: Another Reincarnator
320 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Kyra perched herself on a beam, her golden eyes glowing as she utilized the night vision function from her Nanosuit. She remained vigilant, scanning the surroundings for any signs of the White Fang.

 

"Blake? Are you awake?" Yang's voice broke the silence, pulling Kyra's attention briefly from her watch.

 

"That rhymed," Kyra mused to herself, amused by the unintentional poetic exchange between Yang and Blake, while she continued her watch listening in.

 

"Yeah," Blake responded, her voice carrying a sense of tiredness.

 

"What do you think Doctor Oobleck meant… when he asked us about being a huntress?" Yang pondered aloud, Kyra could hear them shifting in their sleeping bags.

 

"Hmm?" Blake mumbles, clearly still sleepy.

 

"What do you think he was trying to say?" Yang continued, her curiosity evident.

 

"Maybe he was just curious," Blake groaned.

 

"Ya think?" Yang persisted, shifting closer to Blake.

 

"No," Blake replied firmly, dismissing the notion, her head sitting back firmly on her pillow as she shut her eyes.

 

"Weiss, are you awake?" Yang redirected her inquiry, turning to face said girl with the shifting sounds of her bag.

 

"Of course, I'm awake. You two are talking," Weiss responded, her tone reflecting both weariness and emptiness. Kyra observed the dynamics among her teammates, noting Ruby's sleeping form. While Doctor Oobleck was awake and listening in, quietly taking sips from his mug without making a sound.

 

"And I think he... when I said I wanted to honor my family's name, I meant it. But... it's not what you think." Weiss says, her back to Yang, her arms firmly holding herself in a self-hug.

 

"You wanted to honor your grandfather." Kyra says from the beam above them, startling the awake girls, even Blake, who couldn’t continue to pretend to be asleep.

 

"Yeah, I'm not stupid,” Weiss sat up as she turned an eye to the monkey girl, “Thanks for pointing out what my father has done when we first met Kyra. Thank you for saving my life." She gave her a little bow.

 

"I didn't point out anything.” Kyra dismissed Weiss, “Just gave you a thing to look up and think about, and I will happily do that again, Weiss.“ Kyra’s voice was cheeky, “Anytime you need it, although, don’t go putting yourself in danger too often." Kyra finished with a small chuckle.

 

"I almost died today… and it has taken a lot of thinking, and I am done half doing this. I am going to try my best to be the best huntress I can be." Weiss says, eventually muttering to herself. Although with Blake and Kyra’s enhanced hearing, they easily heard the tail end of that statement.

 

The silence hung in the air, uncomfortably, a weight sat on Blake’s shoulders. "All my life,” She started, “I fought for what I thought was right. I had a partner...” She hesitated, “Named Adam." Blake says, knowing she can't just let Weiss talk about her issues alone.

 

"I remember the day you two broke into my warehouse." Kyra says, hanging from the beam by her tail, making eye contact with the kitty cat, Kyra lightly swayed as a breeze blew through the building.

 

"Yeah, that was the day I decided what we were doing wasn't right." Blake reminisced. “Adam always assured me what we were doing would make the world a better place." Blake, rubbing her arm, spoke her thoughts. 

 

"Until the day you found out he doesn't do research on who he robs, he just does it because they are human." Kyra points out, getting Blake to blush in embarrassment.

 

"When I leave the academy, how can I undo so many years of what I have done?" Blake asks, looking at her hands in the darkness, thinking over everything she and Adam had done.

 

"Well, you can't, you can just move on with your life and try to help as many people as you can. I think we are all more than happy to help." Kyra says, trying to comfort her, debating in her mind whether Blake would benefit from the Mr. Peabody’s Apples book. 

 

"Why? Why help me? I caused so much pain." Blake asks, starting to cry as she pulled her knees close and rested her head upon them, the tears streaming down her face and legs.

 

"Cause as much as you dislike it,” Kyra started, her voice full of… Something that inspired hope in the young Faunus, “Those years with the white fang made you who you were today. And because you regret everything you did sincerely, that's the reason I consider myself your friend." Kyra smiles sincerely.

 

Blake smiles up at the beam Kyra was resting on, she even righted herself back up to sit on top of the beam in an impressive show of tail strength.

 

 "If it makes you feel any better,” Kyra started, her hand rolling as she let her words hang in the air. “I blew off Adam’s balls when we went to that last white fang meeting." Kyra says abruptly, getting a smile hiccup out of Blake’s surprise.

 

"At least you two know what you're doing." Yang says petulant as she crosses her arms, distracting Blake from her previous thoughts. Yang's comment drew a quiet chuckle from Kyra. 

 

"Come on, Yang. You, me, and Ruby will travel the world after we graduate," Kyra proposed, her voice carrying a sense of adventure that was just infectious to the blonde.

 

"In fact, when we get to Atlas, Weiss,” Kyra turned to the still awake Weiscream girl, “I'm going to need your help," Kyra continued, giddy even. 

 

"With what?" Weiss inquired, curiosity lacing her tone. 

 

"I want to ruffle your father's feathers as much as possible. Maybe bring a Faunus onto his board of directors or something," Kyra explained, her intentions clear with mischief and scheming.

 

"That's not what huntresses do," Weiss objected, her voice carrying a sense of duty and tradition.

 

"I know it's a job to protect the people.” Kyra’s shoulder fell a bit as she pouted like a small child who didn’t get a cookie. “However, some people don't qualify as people but as monsters. We have to worry about those monsters too," Kyra countered, exiting child mode and highlighting a different aspect of their responsibilities.

 

"I’ll think about it." Weiss says, rolling on to her side, hiding the small smile she held.

 

"I am glad that you all have seen some solutions to your problems, however, I think now would be a good time to get some sleep." Oobleck speaks up, startling everyone but Kyra.

 ========================

 

"Everyone, wake up. We got movement," Kyra's urgent voice cut through the night's silence. 

 

"Huh? What?" Weiss mumbled, still half-asleep, hair sticking to her cheek with drool. 

 

"We've got White Fang movement. Get up!" Kyra's urgency became more apparent as she pointed out the hole in the wall with a shaking finger, standing in front of all their bed rolls.

 

"Where?" Professor Oobleck inquired, instantly alert, he was dressed and drinking fresh coffee in but a moment. 

 

"They went into the subway," Kyra says, swiftly responding, turning back to the hole and coming up with a plan.

 

"Yang. Ruby. With me," Kyra commanded, as she charged forward with unwavering determination. She leaped off the building, executing a twisting backflip as she descended through the sky, her movements should have been impossible. Although, the even crazier thing was the soft, nearly silent landing upon touch down. 

 

Yang and Ruby glanced at each other, quickly changed, before following Kyra off of the building, Ruby jumped with her own spin, her Crescent rose cutting through the air and slowing her down as she maneuvered it like a Helicopter. Yang followed Kyra’s example of not caring, but slowed herself down by using clever little hand holds and quickly following after Ruby’s trail of petals.

===================

As Kyra, Yang, and Ruby quietly navigated the subway, they realized they were on the cusp of what appeared to be the headquarters for an operation. The area was an immense labyrinth of rail carts and stacked crates of dust, unmistakably the nerve center of the operation they were investigating.

 

The trio exchanged cautious glances, silently acknowledging the magnitude of their discovery. The maze-like expanse before them hinted at the scale and complexity of the operations carried out by the White Fang within these underground railways. 

 

Kyra looks at the door in front of her and nods to herself before turning to Ruby and Yang, who had been close behind her the entire time. "Watch this." Kyra whispers, to Yang and Ruby. She knocks loudly on the train car’s door.  "Hey boss, we found something interesting." Kyra says, her voice imitating a random grunt she heard at the last rally.

 

"Would it be a good interesting, or a bad interesting?” Roman’s muffled voice came from the other side of the door as his footsteps came closer. “Because let me tell you, I have had a hell of a day." Roman says sliding the train door open arms spread wide, likely to pull off the presentation only to find himself looking at the trio. 

 

"Hello, Cookie Wizard." Kyra says with a smile.

 

Roman puts a finger over his lips telling the trio to be quiet and waved them into the train car.

 

"Who are you? You don't belong in this story. Not to mention that Pip-boy." Roman says once the door is closed. 

 

"I knew it!" Kyra exclaimed eagerly, her eyes gleaming with anticipation. 

 

"What's going on?" Ruby inquired, clearly puzzled by the sudden burst of excitement.

 

"Me and her are likely from the same place," Roman revealed, pointing towards Kyra over his shoulder with a thumb as he digs through his coat for his box of Cigars. 

 

"So, are you also a Saiyan?" Yang inquired, her curiosity piqued.

 

Roman's jaw dropped in surprise, the Cigar he picked up staying on his bottom lip as his head whipped to Kyra’s tail. "You are beyond lucky," he remarked, clearly impressed, and a little jealous even.

 

"One, I have no clue what my race is or what any of its qualities are.” Kyra started with a lecturing tone. “And this is coming from the guy who got a system and kept the same gender," Kyra explained, emphasizing the fact she was flying by the seat of her pants, her arms crossed as she glowered at Roman.

 

"Never mind, I'm lucky." Roman says, a shiver heading down his back, not being able to imagine Kyra's suffering. 

 

"Yeah... Periods are horrible," Kyra added, shuddering a bit, recalling the less pleasant aspects of humanoid biology.

 

"So, what's the plan?" Kyra questioned, swiftly redirecting the conversation back to the pressing matters at hand, her eyes roaming over the corkboard filled with pictures and red string. 

 

"What plan?" Roman asked, somewhat bewildered, a hand with a lighter stopped as he raised a brow at the Saiyan.

 

"Where are you jumping off at, Cinder will die, Vale will not fall, and Salem will be on a hunt for our team, you will be in the clear." Kyra states, as if it was simple fact, like the Sun shines, grass is green, birds fly and she hurts people.

 

"Good to know." Roman says happily, knowing he won't be stuck in his role for much longer, a smile on his face when he thinks of what possibilities could befall Cinder. 

 

"Why are we talking to him again?" Yang interjected, voicing her skepticism about the collaboration, as she glared at him with suspicion.

 

"He doesn't want to do what he's doing.” Kyra quickly pulls Yang in for a side hug while she explains. “He's being forced; it's do it or die," Kyra clarified, offering a glimpse into Roman's predicament. Suddenly, a loud bang echoed in the room, everyone glances over to see Kyra had caught the bullet just before it had hit her eye.

 

"Damn, Neo, that was a good shot. Did you put the gun in her umbrella, Roman?" Kyra questioned, dropping the bullet, letting the metal clink against the metal floor of the rail car. Everyone’s eyes turned to the corner where a smoking umbrella with a barrel on its end was.

 

"Calm down, dear. They are friendly," Roman reassured, attempting to defuse the tension as he lightly pushed her Hush down with his Melodic Cudgel. 

 

"You!" Yang shouts when Neo comes out of hiding, everyone’s eyes were firmly glued to the face of a Woman Scorned.

 

"Neo, just inject this into your vocal cord area." Kyra says, throwing her a Stimpack, which the shortstack expertly catches and glares at before a dapper man interrupts and grabs it. 

 

"Is this what I think it is?" Roman asks, 

 

"Yep, a Stimpack." Kyra says with a big smile, her tail swishing side to side as she stands on her toes.

 

"Dear, just do it. You should be able to talk afterwards," Roman urged, handing it back to her, gently closing her hand around it as she looked unsure. "So, I'm assuming you're also responsible for Stark Industries? What's going on there with all the rumors?" He asks as he turns back to the Team.

 

"Well, it turns out the Pip-boy has the tech and blueprint designed from WW2 onwards for the fallout world.” Kyra proudly states, showing off the very item in question. “If I released everything, Vale and Atlas would be in an arms race. Not to mention the stuff I've made from combining Earth tech with dust," she explained, rolling her with a ‘What can you do shrug’.

 

"Yeah, that would be bad. Tensions would build, and once it was set off, there would be another war," Roman understood, tension clear on his face as he paced back and forth a bit thinking of the consequences.

 

"You get it, thank goodness," Kyra responded with relief, letting everything go and slumping forward as if she just felt a weight leave her body. 

 

"So, if what you say is true, I'm going to disappear, probably after the tournament," Roman finally turns back to her, disclosing his plan, and immediately scheming of a way to make it happen with as little splash back from Salem as possible.

 

"Alright, what does your system use as currency?" Kyra inquired. 

 

"Lien and precious metals. It also takes dollars, but I can't find them here," Roman replied, as turning back to Kyra, leaning backwards on a table with his arms crossed.

 

"How about this:” Kyra starts to make an offer, “After you bounce, head to Mistral. Give a Stark Industries store this card, and we'll be in contact with the satellite network," She suggested, handing Roman a Stark Industries card. "You could be head of security and get paid Lien that way. Because I'm using a management perk. If you have something better, that would be great," she added, pulling out a safe full of Pre-War money. "I think this might work for dollars," She smiled and nudged the Safe a little further toward the salivating Roman.

 

"I will consider it. Wait, did you say satellite?" Roman, who quickly acted like nothing was wrong, asked in surprise. 

 

"I may have studied a lot of different stuff, combined with a boost in intelligence from the Pip-boy. We have a space program," Kyra revealed. 

 

"Thank you," A meek and weak voice spoke up, thanking Kyra. 

 

"It's no problem... Neo? Take it easy and let the muscles age naturally," Kyra said, taken aback upon hearing her voice. 

 

Suddenly, there were gunshots and explosions.

 

"Back to being enemies for now," Kyra sighed, already pulling out her Blue Rose

 

"I look forward to working with you in the future, Blue." Roman said as he walked towards the safe, tapping the top of it, causing all the money in it to disappear.

24