Chapter 5 – I Will Protect
23 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3 Months Ago

 

The bell rang for the last period of the day. Chloe wasn’t in any clubs, but she also didn’t want to go straight home after school. She spent her time hanging around campus on her own. She became comfortable enough with her classmates but she never reached the level of being close friends with any of them. 

She was sitting on a bench outside the cafeteria sipping a juice box. By this point in the day, the area was completely empty. The only noise that could be heard was the motor of cars nearby. This quietness came to a halt when a girl came into view from the corner of her eye and stood right in front of Chloe. Her hair was long and wavy, eyes round but dazzling, and a smile that screamed confidence.

“Excuse me, but are you by any chance Chloe Brooks?”

“Uhh, yeah that’s me. Is there something you want?”

“If you don’t mind, may I ask some questions regarding your relation to the Eterna family?”

“Why the heck would I know anything about them?”

“You don’t have to play dumb with me. I’ve already looked into their family connections and discovered your mother married into the family ten years ago.”

“You did what!? How did you…!”

“Oh, that may sound a bit weird now that I say that out loud… but anyway! I’m conducting an investigation into the Eterna family’s secrets and was hoping there was any information you wouldn’t mind sharing with me.”

“Why the heck would I share that kinda stuff with someone like you!? This is all kinds of creepy!”

Chloe stood up and began walking away. She threw her juice box into a nearby garbage bin as she walked by it, only to see it begin floating in the air. It’s motion, completely halted and suspended in the air.

Her eyes caught this as she stopped to stare at this bizarre occurrence. “What the…?”

“You’ve been wronged by the Eterna family in the past, haven’t you? We’re similar in that way.”

Chloe turned around to see a red glow around the girl’s arm as she had it raised at the juice box.

“Are you doing…what is…huh!?”

“That got your attention, didn’t it? Now that I’ve shown you a secret of my own, I hope you’re willing to hear me out for a bit.” The girl lowered her arm and with that, the juice box fell down into the bin. “I’d like to talk somewhere more private if you don’t mind. Oh, pardon me, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Aurora Avery.”

Despite the initial hesitation, Aurora managed to convince Chloe to come to her apartment where they began discussing what Chloe knew about the Eterna family. This eventually led to mentions of The Void and Chloe’s enhanced strength. The Stone of Immortality was brought up as well which Aurora took an interest in.

“It seems those rumors about a magic stone were real,” Aurora said.

“Yep. If just a small sample of it made me stronger, who knows what else it can do.” said Chloe.

“I see, well thank you for the talk. It was incredibly helpful.”

“What the heck are you gonna do with all of this?”

“Originally, I wasn’t quite sure what my goal was, but I think I’ve found one.” Aurora eyes lit up with newfound conviction. “I’m gonna steal this Stone of Immortality.”

“You’re gonna what!? Do you have any idea how insane that sounds!?”

“I believe I heard myself right.”

“What would you even do with it? You got some sort of fear of death?”

“Oh I have no desire for immortality. Living forever sounds kinda boring if I’m being honest. Stealing would be a rather serious blow to the Eterna family however, and that is more than enough to satisfy me. I could even make a fortune selling it for all I know!”

The thought of selling it for money didn’t cross Chloe’s mind at all, but she began to realize how much the stone would really be worth if you sold it to the right buyer. An idea lit up in her mind as a result.

“...So from selling it, you could make millions, right?”

“Maybe more if I’m smart about it!”

“Exact amount aside, it would be enough to, let's say, run away and live on your own, wouldn’t it?”

“I guess I could do that if I really wanted to but it's not like I want to run away from my family or anything.”

“I’ll join.”

Aurora took a moment to realize what Chloe said. 

“Excuse me?”

“This plan to steal the stone. I want in.”

“Didn’t you just say it sounded insane?”

“I know what I said! But…if you can- I mean, if we can pull this off, then there’s someone I’d really want to help with that money.”

“Oh? Is it a loved one, perhaps?”

 Chloe’s aggressive face softened. “Y-yeah it is…”

Aurora pondered working together with this girl. “Hmmm, this is going to be quite the dangerous mission. Are you sure you’d want to risk your life working for a stranger like me?”

“Yeah you still seem kinda weird but I can put that aside.”

“Ouch! You wound my heart!” Aurora said in an overly dramatic manner.

“Besides, the person I want to help would probably do the same for me.”

“Is that so? Must be quite the friend then.”

“They’re the one that taught me an important lesson.”

Aurora curiously asked, “And what would that be?”

Chloe’s eyes lit with a similar conviction as Aurora’s previously, “Love is something you fight for.”

 

***

In the library of the Eterna family, a confrontation between Luna and Chloe against a member of the Void was about to play out. Communications were still on for the two.

“You got a plan for this, Eclipse?” Chloe said.

“In order to get a clean shot of us, she’ll have to be across from where we are in the library. We’re gonna use this to our advantage. She’s gonna be targeting me, so I’ll act as a distraction that heads toward the mainframe, while you make it to the third floor and take her by surprise.”

“Alright. Doesn’t sound too bad. Just try not to get sniped on my behalf.”

“I can’t guarantee the visual of it won’t happen.”

Chloe was ready to move. “On the count of three we move. One, two…three!”

The girls dashed in opposite directions towards different bookshelves to take cover in. While running, Luna created a single clone of herself. As expected, Katherine targeted Luna but barely missed her shot as the two Lunas slid towards cover with the copy vanishing right after.

A sweat rolled down Luna’s face after doing that. She didn’t drop a smoke bomb while running because she wanted to be the one targeted, but being left open like that was very risky. Katherine suspected that Luna could create more than one clone, but making her believe that she couldn't do that would cause her to drop her guard. 

“You still alive?” Chloe asked.

“Do you really think I’d already be dead!?” 

“Pffft, I’m about to head up the stairs. I need you to distract her for a good few seconds.”

“Noted. Don’t ask me an asinine question next time.”

“Oh you pulled out the vocab for that one.”

Luna groaned as she prepared to expose herself again. She jumped out from behind the bookshelf with another clone appearing out of her as she dropped a smoke bomb. Katherine would have to take the time to search for any sign of her target. As the smoke disappeared, a version of Luna could be seen running out in the open towards the mainframe. Katherine fired and got a direct hit on Luna before it vanished into nothing as the clone that it was. The bait was taken. The enemy now had no idea where the real Luna was. 

Luna figured it was a safe bet that Chloe was now on the third floor. She remembered from their first encounter that Chloe wasn’t the most proficient at stealth, so she’d have to make this final distraction one that’d completely grab hold of Katherine's attention while Chloe went in for the ambush.

Splitting off into two, Luna shot her grappling hook towards the ceiling and flew straight up. She was now in the air as she could see Katherine getting ready to aim at a copy of her. Luna could finally make out the appearance of their assailant. She wore a dart combat uniform and had short hair with yellow tips. Chloe was nowhere to be seen for a moment until Luna saw her appear right behind Katherine. It was as if she suddenly appeared out of thin air. Before Katherine could fire off a shot, the copy of Luna pulled out her combat knife and threw it straight at her.  

Katherine quickly dodged and fired off another round. Piercing the Luna that threw the knife who then disappeared. She prepared to fire again at the real Luna swinging in the air, but it was too late. 

“Over here!”

Katherine turned around to see Chloe as she swung her bat straight at her. Her sniper rifle was raised as an attempt to block this attack which caused the weapon to get knocked out of her hands and fall to the very first floor.

One more time! One more hit and we’ve done it! Chloe thought to herself as she prepared to swing her bat one more time at the now unarmed Katherine. This last hit would surely knock her out-

WHAM!

Before Chloe’s bat could reach Katherine, it clashed with a newly appeared blade that Katherine pulled from her back.

She has a blade too!? Both Luna and Chloe thought.

Katherine began to speak to Chloe who she didn’t recognize behind her mask. 

“You just made my job much messier. Let it be known you did this to yourself.”

The sword wielding girl lunged straight at Chloe and swung fiercely. Chloe could barely keep up with her aggression. Barely capable of deflecting each swing with her bat. 

“Cat! Hang in there!” Luna yelled as she landed onto the third floor and was sprinting towards the action.

“Don’t worry- agh! I’ve got this!”

Every attack from Katherine was fast and relentless. After delivering a hit that left Chloe wide open, she delivered a punch that knocked Chloe back as she clung to her bat.

“Get away from her!” 

Luna yelled in order to draw Katherine’s attention towards her.

“So it’s you that he asked me to prioritize…” Katherine said.

Remember, Luna, our opponent is someone Chloe cares about.

“Just by looking at you, you seem to be a similar age to me. Why is someone like you working for a private military group?”

Katherine’s expression remained cold, “Why would I tell anything to a lowly thief? You’re nothing more than a cockroach for me to stomp out.”

“Is that your view on taking a life?” Luna asked.

“It’s part of my responsibilities. I have things worth fighting for that you wouldn’t understand.”

“If so, then why have you bothered to talk to me?”

“I thought I’d be nice and give you one last conversation. I’ll be quick now.”

Luna threw down three smoke bombs which surrounded Katherine. She stood there and waited to counter whatever Luna would do next. The sound of footsteps were heard behind her which led to her swinging and slicing a Luna that was approaching her. Another version of Luna came at her right after, which Katherine quickly grabbed the arm of before Luna could react.

“You must be the real one.” said Katherine as she stabbed her sword straight through Luna’s stomach. 

She looked at where she stabbed and noticed her wound wasn’t bleeding at all. This version of Luna also proceeded to vanish.

“What the…?”

Before she knew it, another Luna dropped down from above and kicked straight down and Katherine. She barely managed to react in time and blocked with her sword, causing Luna to jump back after her attack.

“So you can make more!” said Katherine in anger.

You were gullible for thinking otherwise,” Luna remarked from behind her. The one that dropped down was also a clone and the real Luna thought two steps ahead in surprising her opponent. 

She threw out a punch which was followed up on by her clone. The two proceeded to connect hits together similar to what Luna did to Chloe. Punches and kicks came from two sides of Katherine. 

In retaliation she leg sweeped the two Lunas causing only one to remain as she fell to the floor.

“I’m just about done with your tricks.” said Katherine as she raised her sword in preparation to strike.

As she swung down on Luna, she quickly blocked the blade with her knife. The sword continued to press down on Luna while she resisted with her much smaller weapon. She didn’t know how much longer she could hold out until the sword would reach her body.

Damn it…I can’t make any clones when I’m restricted like this!

“Give it up already…!” growled Katherine.

She seemed all but determined to take Luna out right here and now. The blade was moving ever so closer to her neck. 

Don’t…go down like this, Luna!

Before Katherine’s blade could get any closer, the left side of her body took a full swing from Chloe’s body, causing her to be knocked a few feet away. She recovered quickly and retaliated by launching herself straight at Chloe. It was clear from her movements that her left arm was injured from that hit, but she was still incredibly proficient relying only on her dominant arm. She knocked away Chloe's bat with her sword and then kicked her straight to the ground before she had time to react.

“You’re becoming too much of a nuisance. I’m gonna need you out of the way.”

Katherine readied her blade once again with the full intent to kill Chloe. Before she could lower her blade, she felt a rope wrap around her arms and begin pulling her arm. She looked back to see Luna with her grappling hook in hand.

“I too…have things I’m fighting for.”

“Gah! Let go of my arm!”

“As long as I am standing… I’ll protect everyone I care about. That includes that annoying girl you’re trying to kill…!”

A fire was lit within Luna. It’s been so long since she’s remembered what it was like to look after a friend. Even if they had just met, that didn’t change Luna’s resolve to protect those around her. No matter what.

“I’ve had enough of this!” Katherine yelled as she turned her arm back and severed Luna’s grappling hook from her arm with her sword. She went for another swing at Chloe without hesitation.

“Cat!” Luna yelled out her name with strong desperation. 

As her voice echoed through the library, a green glow began to radiate from Chloe before she immediately vanished.

Katherine paused her swing in shock of what occurred. 

“Where did she go!?” 

She looked at Luna. 

“Is this your doing!? Was that another one of your clones the whole time!?”

Before Katherine could continue, she suddenly got knocked to the ground and fainted. She reacted as if something struck her head. Something that Luna couldn’t see. Their enemy had finally been taken out in a way that left Luna utterly confused as she picked herself up from the ground.

“What the heck…?”

A few seconds later, Chloe reappeared with bat in hand next to Katherine. She looked down at the enemy she was familiar with and mumbled to herself, “I’m sorry, Kate. I’ll get us out of this mess eventually.”

“Cat! Are you alright!”

“I’m…fine?”

“What happened to you? You disappeared without a trace!”

As Luna put her hands on Chloe’s shoulders in relief, the green glow from before appeared. It finally clicked in Luna’s mind what was happening.

“This was my doing…I-I cursed you! Just like I did with Sunlight…!”

“Wait, curse? Is this that power you were talking about earlier?”

Luna was growing stressed, “I gave it to someone else…what is wrong with me!”

“Woah, woah, chill out! Whatever you did, it just saved us!”

This was the rational thinking that Luna needed for the time. Her composure was temporarily regained.

“I suppose you're right…it seems you received invisibility as a power.”

“It lasted for ten seconds so I guess that’s its limit. I don’t get it though. Why invisibility?”

Luna pondered this question seriously before choosing to go a different route. 

She gave a little smirk, “If I had to guess…the less I see you, the better.” 

“Ha, since when did you have a sense of humor?”

1