Chapter 15
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     Pete did exactly what he said he was going to do when he got back to the station and crashed on the cot in the station's locker room. McManus didn't have an issue with it, knowing Frank had next to no time off the previous few days, despite being off the weekend. During most of that time, Pete was looking over his shoulder for trouble so it felt more like work than two days off this his kids. When Pete eventually did open his eyes, it was afternoon. He washed up in the locker room and then went back to homicide to get back to work. He left his jacket in his locker and rolled up the sleeves of his dress shirt. He was ready to do some serious work and break the case. He was energized but slowed down when he spotted Grozza's empty desk. He paused for a moment before strolling into Captain McManus' office where Agent Avery was already sitting.

     "It walks, it talks... it's alive!" McManus said with a laugh when he spotted Pete.

     "That never gets old," Pete said as he walked in and took the other seat in front of his captain's chair. "You guys break anything since I hit the hay?"

     "Nothing," McManus answered. "But we have a problem."

     "What is it?" Pete asked.

     "We think there are some security tapes missing," Avery answered.

     "From the exchange building?" Pete assumed.

     "No," the captain corrected. "The first scene. The Prophet's first kill."

     "Do you think the building is holding something back?" Pete asked.

     "No, but we can't find anyone coming and going," Avery replied. "Even if the Prophet used his side stair exit, the camera by parking should have caught him leaving. It doesn't, so we must be missing a tape."

     Pete paused for a moment. "What if we're not missing a tape?"

     "What are you thinking?" McManus asked.

     "Nothing serious yet," Pete said as he turned to Avery. "How many hours are your guys looking at?"

     "The time of death and a few hours after," Avery answered. "Why?"

     "Tell whoever is assigned to keep watching," Pete replied. "Right up to the point where I arrive on the scene."

     "Where are you going with this?" McManus asked again.

     "I think he may have used the confusion of the scene being secured to exit," Pete replied. "Making this fake exit just another decoy."

     "What disguise would get our guy out?" McManus asked.

     "Easy," Pete answered. "A police officer."

     "Considering everything he's done so far," Avery agreed, "I wouldn't put that kind of stunt past our guy. He could have been watching us, and we wouldn't have known."

     "Would explain how he knew I was on the case," Pete said. "Put two people on these tapes right now."

     "Alright," Avery said as he hopped out of his chair and ran off to give his people the new instructions.

     "Where are we on the numbers Frisby gave us?" Pete asked.

     "We've got some decent leads," McManus answered. "Two men who are far too lucky to get all of their shorts right this week. You'd think they'd toss in a few duds just to make it look less obvious."

     "I'm thinking he did," Pete said. "Our man could have sold the information so he wasn't the only one to short and hide his activity. We need to check those who got these companies right but have a few duds like you said."

     "What are you doing to do?" McManus asked.

     "I'm going to check on my family," Pete said as he left to head back to his own desk. He looked around for a moment and then turned to look at Avery as he came back in. "Where's Jones?"

     "She's not due back in until later," Avery answered. "We sent her home for some rest. She didn't want to leave either."

     "Alright," Pete said as he sat down at his desk. "I'll be back shortly."

     As much as he wanted to get back to work, it had been over ten hours since he had checked in with the family. Since it was lunchtime, it seemed like a good time to make the call. He waited for a few rings before someone picked up.

     "Hello?" a male voice said.

     "This is Detective Gibbons," Pete said, starting to grow concerned. "Who is this?"

     "Marshal Jackson," the Marshal replied. "I'll get the ex for you."

     Moments later, Pete was listening to the annoyed but safe voice of the woman who divorced him. It was an ugly break, but they chose to remain civil for the boys. Jesse didn't like her, but that was out of loyalty. Gabby was a good mother to their sons and that's all he cared about at this moment.

     "Pete," Gabby said. "It's a little crowded in here."

     "It's for your own safety," Pete replied. "You'll just have to trust me for now. How are the boys doing?"

     "They're fine," Gabby answered. "They just had lunch and are watching television with this Clive fellow."

     Pete shifted in his seat upon hearing the news but had to relax. In order for Clive to properly protect them, it made sense to build rapport. "Glad to hear everyone is getting along. Just stay out of the Marshals' way and let them do their jobs and you guys will be fine. They do stuff like this all the time."

     "Alright," Gabby said. "Jesse is in the bedroom; she hasn't come out since we got here, not even to eat. I tried to talk to her, but you know her, she thinks I'm the enemy."

     "Don't worry about it," Pete told her. "Just check in to make sure she's okay and let her stew about it on her own..."

     Pete stopped talking when he noticed that Avery was back and waving at him. It seemed rather urgent.

     "Listen, Gabby, I gotta go," Pete said as he stood up. "Give the boys a hug for me and I'll call back later."

     He didn't even give her a chance to reply and disconnected the line. He walked over to where Avery was standing.

     "What's going on?" Pete asked.

     "We found something on the tapes," Avery said. "I need you to look at it now."

     Avery had the tablet with him and he passed it to Pete, who turned it on and starting watching. It was the same security feeds showing the first officers arriving on the scene. There were four of them walking around and securing the area. So far, he hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary and was impressed with how well the officers in uniform worked when coming upon such a gruesome scene.

     "I don't see anything," Pete admitted.

     "Keep watching," Avery said. "You'll notice it in a moment."

     Pete kept watching the tape and suddenly his instincts were proven correct. In the hallways of the thirteenth floor, a fifth police officer arrived out of thin air. "Okay, now we have five. That's not allowed; where's this officer's partner?"

     "There isn't one," Avery said as he paused the video. "There is also no video from the lobby or the parking garage showing how this cop arrived. So this might be the break we're looking for. We've got agents looking over the tape to see how long this officer remained on the scene," Avery said as he zoomed the picture. "Do you have any idea who he is?"

     Pete took a deep breath. "It's not a man, that's a woman."

     "It is?" Avery said as he looked again. "Do you know who this woman is then?"

     "From what I can recall," Pete replied, "There was only one woman in uniform that night at the scene."

     Right at that moment, Officer Jones came strolling into the lobby. She looked at the two men who were examining the video and stopped walking.

     "Hey, guys," she called out. "We catch any breaks?"

     Pete was never much of a poker player so when he looked up at Jones just after seeing her on the video, his face was a dead giveaway. She could tell by the look on Detective Gibbons' face that her cover had been blown; they were onto her. She was carrying a tray of coffee and let it fall to the floor as she reached for her gun.

     Pete was in shock and was caught off guard and wasn't able to draw his weapon in time. Everyone on the whole floor was surprised and shocked when the first shot rang out from Jones' sidearm. In an act of complete selflessness, Agent Avery dropped the tablet he was holding and jumped in front of Pete, taking Jones' shot directly into his own chest. The force of the shot caused both men to fall over.

     Before any other detectives or agents could respond to the shot, Jones continued to fire as she blew out several windows and sent glass flying all over the place. She used the flying glass to make run for it.

     Pete used all the strength he had to move Avery, but the agent was dead weight on top of him. Eventually McManus came out and pulled the Homeland agent off of his detective. He started to inspect the agent as Pete got back to his feet.

     "How is he?" Pete asked him.

     "He's breathing," his captain answered. "He's wearing a vest, so he just got the wind knocked out of him. He'll be all right."

     "Thank god," Pete sighed.

     "What are you waiting for?" the captain barked. "Go get that bitch!"

     Pete drew his gun and slowly walked into the hallway, being careful not to move around a corner too quickly. Jones had already shown a complete disregard for anyone's life at this point. She would shoot without hesitation if he gave her a target. There were people lying down on the ground, and others hiding behind desks in their office as he slowly crept through. Many would point and give him the all clear, which made it easy for Pete to walk through until he reached the stairs. Pete pointed to an officer in uniform who just walked up.

     "What's your name?" Pete called out.

     "Wilson, sir," the man called back.

     "Grab the door and open on my mark," Pete said, afraid Jones would try to shoot at him when he tried to move into the stairwell. The other officer grabbed the handle and when Pete nodded to him, he whipped the door open. Pete immediately moved in and made sure the area was clear before moving down the stairs. Officer Wilson followed behind him as they slowly descended one floor at a time. When they reached the door to the next floor, Pete paused for a moment and listened. There were no sounds of panic or shots so he didn't know which way to go.

     "You take this floor," he told Officer Wilson. "I'll take the parking garage."

     Pete watched as Wilson left the stairwell and then began to descend down the stairs again until he reached the parking garage. He slowly peeked around each corner and used cars for cover as he looked around to see if she was there. There was no sign of Jones anywhere. Pete stood up and relaxed for a moment. He left the garage through the main doors and walked up to the guard stationed there.

     "Did any women leave here in the last few minutes?" he asked.

     "No, Detective Gibbons," the officer replied. "No one in the last five minutes."

     "Thanks," Pete said as he walked away from the man's station.

      He walked back into headquarters and spotted Agent Avery, who was up and walking around.

     "Jesus, Avery, should you be up and about?" Pete asked.

     "I'm fine," Avery replied. "I knew the vest would save my ass. Thank goodness Jones is a good shot."

     "Well, you saved mine," Pete said as he padded Avery's shoulder. "Thanks."

     "No problem," Avery said as he wheezed a bit. "According to the front desk, Jones walked out on this floor. She put her gun away and just strolled out without so much as a peep from anyone. I'll give her this much, she's got nerve. She used the confusion to get out without causing more problems while everyone was ducking for cover outside."

     "Shit," Pete said, angry enough to kick a chair. "This is how the Prophet was able to stay ahead of us. He had someone on the inside."

     "You don't think she's the Prophet?" Avery asked.

     "No, I don't think so." Pete conceded. "She's definitely involved, but there are some things that don't add up. She was in the room when I first talked to the Prophet. She was also on the highway with me when the RPG was fired at us. But that explains why he waited so long to fire; to give her time to get out of the way. She's working with someone and that not a good thing. It also means we're playing against a team and not a lone wolf."

     "Well, if she was his eyes and ears, they've lost their inside man," Avery said, "Sorry, I mean their inside woman."

     "I know what you meant," Pete said as he started to walk back to the stairs. "Let's get back upstairs and make sure everyone's all right."

     The two men went back up to homicide to check on the damage. McManus was there watching as some people were sweeping up glass and checking on others who had small scrapes from the windows being shot out. He didn't seem pleased when Pete and Avery arrived.

     "You're short one person," he called out. "Where's Jones?"

     "In the wind," Avery answered. "She got out the front before we could lock this place down."

     "Damn it!" McManus looked angry enough to break a window if they all weren't broken already. "What do we do now?"

     "We get back to work," Pete answered. "Now that the Prophet has lost his spy, we should be able to catch up without him being ready to ambush us."

     "You'll have to be ready to accept something," Avery warned him. "Even if she wasn't the one you were talking to on the phone, she was the one at the scene. She killed those people or at least helped out. The fact that she tried to kill you without hesitation would suggest she's not coming in without a fight."

     "I know," Pete said. He didn't have to like it to understand the situation. "I'll be okay, I just want to see this through."

     "I'm still going to order a background check on everyone else working on this floor," Avery added. "I really hope you understand."

     "No problem," the captain answered for him. "Do what you have to do; let's get back to work and find them both!"

     Right after Captain McManus said that, the cellphone in Pete's pocket started to ring again. It was the ringtone used for only unknown callers, which meant only one thing to the three men standing there; it was time to speak to the enemy again.

0