Chapter 9
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

     True to his word, Geronimo didn't attack or harm a single person the entire weekend. While the battle was far from over, giving everyone a time out to pause seemed to let everyone settle down and they were not panicking as much as they were on Friday. When Homeland was informed why there was a break in the violence, they went out of their way to make sure that every part of Pete's life and every means of communication was tapped and ready to trace. They were all confident that the Prophet was going to try to contact him again; it was only a matter of time, based on his profile and his ego as well as his balls according to Captain McManus.

     Pete decided to go about his business as if nothing had happened the previous week. Jessie went back to campus with a little more money and promised to stay on campus until everything was resolved. Minimal risk and just hearing that from her made Pete feel a little better. The last thing he wanted was Jessie to put herself into harm's way, and she had also promised to contact him or come straight to the house if something happened or the Prophet tried to talk to or see her. Pete was sure Geronimo had bigger fish to fry, but he wanted to have all his bases covered.

     Pete pulled up to Gabby's house and slowly stopped on Sunday night. He didn't want to give the boys back. Pete had convinced the boys' mother to let him keep them both until after supper, just to stretch out his time. He was afraid that the Prophet was waiting for the exact moment they went home so he went out of his way to change the schedule, hoping it would throw the killer off his game.

     Pete had taken his sons out for burgers, fries and a milkshake. He'd let them play a few video games afterward, doing his best to enjoy time he rarely got with them. The kids were all smiles as they walked up the driveway and to the side door where their mother was waiting for them to come home.

     "Hello, Gabby," Pete said as he walked up behind them.

     "Pete," Gabby replied. "How was your weekend?"

     "Surprisingly quiet," Pete answered. "Wasn't called in once."

     "Not even once?" Gabby said, surprised. "Even with that monster running around the city?"

     "There have been no updates," Pete explained to her. "I guess even bad guys like their weekends."

     "I'm surprised," Gabby admitted. "Usually work can't leave you alone."

     "He got the weekend off," Michael said as he walked up to hug his mom. "The Indian guy said so."

     "Oh really?" Gabby said as she looked at Pete. "Who's the Indian guy?"

     Pete paused for a second. "Not in front of the kids."

     "Boys, go in and brush your teeth," Gabby said as the boys ran off to do as they were told. His ex-wife gave him that look that told Pete he was about to get into trouble. "Who is the Indian guy?"

     "He calls himself Geronimo," Pete replied. "He called on Saturday while I was making breakfast, and Michael answered the phone first."

     "Who is Geronimo?" Gabby asked, grilling him as if she were the cop and not the other way around.

     "He's the Prophet," Pete said, knowing the outburst that was to come.

     "What!" Gabby yelled as she walked out and closed the door behind her. "Our son was on the phone with that monster!"

     "Yes, but only long enough to pass the phone to me," Pete replied. "Since the call, we've had two units on the house; our boys were never in any danger."

     "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Gabby roared, getting angrier.

     "We didn't want to upset him," Pete replied. "My weekend is the reason why there were no attacks the last two days. He didn't want to take me away from the boys, and we had to play along. Any change in what I usually do over the weekend could have resulted in a response."

     "Is this why you asked to keep them longer?" Gabby inquired.

     "Yes," Pete answered. "My way of trying to buy more time in case he goes on the attack the moment the boys get home. Thanks for letting me do that, by the way. I took them to Georgio's for burgers and did normal dad stuff just in case the Prophet was watching."

     "How does this guy know you?" Gabby asked.

     "He's been calling me since the beginning," Pete answered. "Eager to brag about his work and how he's changing the world."

     "You knew this before taking the boys!" Gabby slapped his arm. It wasn't hard but was enough to establish her anger. She had every right to be upset because she truly cared what happened to those small boys. She wasn't much of a wife to him, but Pete would never call her a bad mom. She was the best to those kids, and he'd have words with anyone who tried to say otherwise.

     "We took every precaution," Pete said as he tried to calm her. "We're also going to leave a unit outside just to make sure you're safe here, too."

     "I can't believe this is happening." Gabby seemed sad and on the verge of tears.

     "I don't think you're in any imminent danger," Pete said.

     "How do you know that?" Gabby asked.

     "Because he's got a type," Pete answered. "He only attacks people who are rich, the one percent. As far as he's concerned, you and I are the very people he's fighting for in his own deranged way. You are not his target, which would also explain why he's been nice in his own crazy way."

     "Are you positive about that?" Gabby asked as she wiped away a tear.

     "Yes," Pete said without hesitation.

     Gabby took a deep breath. "I believe you."

     "Thank you." Pete said as he also exhaled deeply.

     "I know you'd never knowingly put them in danger," she continued.

     "Never," Pete said without hesitation. "Those two boys and Jessie are the only people I love more than I do myself and that's saying something coming from a diagnosed narcissist."

     "Point taken," Gabby concurred.

     "I'm going to get this guy, I promise." Pete placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You have nothing to worry about."

     As Pete was walking back to his car, he couldn't help but think about the load of hooey he just shoveled for the sake of his sanity and his ex-wife's peace of mind. Once the boys were back with their mother, Pete didn't bother heading home and went right back to the station, eager to get back to work and back on the hunt for the Prophet. As he walked back into the department, Grozza was on the phones, already working. Pete suspected his partner never left his desk and had been making calls all weekend but never asked to confirm it.

     "Anything reported?" Pete asked as he dropped his coat over the back of the chair in front of his desk.

     "Nothing so far," David answered. "Your guy has been true to his word so far. No one has gone missing or turned up dead since you left to be with the boys. Has he tried to call you again?"

     "Not yet," Pete said as he sat down. "But now that my weekend is over, he's bound to strike again. I feel like a boxer who's about to start a second round with Iron Mike. The next onslaught is about to come."

     Pete wasn't at his desk more than an hour when Officer Jones came strolling in. "We still have people at your place in case he calls there again. Do we have anything else to do while we wait?"

     "We are doing something," Pete said as he looked up. "I'm not sure what you see on television, but this is how cases are solved. We make calls and pursue leads in order to narrow down suspects. Go down to the lab and see if we got anything back from the crime scenes. We'll let you know if something happens. Right now, let's hope the prophet is going to sleep in."

     "Alright, I'll keep in contact." Jones said with a smile as she left to go down to the lab to inquire on Pete's behalf.

     Pete was contacting companies that had been struck, looking for possible threats they received before the Prophet attacked.

     "Are you sure he'd do something like this?" Grozza asked while on hold.

     "Pretty sure," Pete replied. "This guy is calling me and sending videos to CNN for a reason. He's screaming for attention. I'm pretty sure he tried to get the attention of all these CEOs before he decided to take them out. We need to find these threats so we can find out who this person is."

     "You think he's up to something, don't you?" David asked.

     "You're a father," Pete said. "How do you feel when things get quiet in a house full of kids?"

     Grozza paused for a moment. "As much as I like the silence, I get nervous if things get too quiet. I always think they're up to something."

     "Exactly," Pete said as he slammed down his phone. "This is the same thing. He's too quiet, which means while trying to look like the nice guy, he's been working on something and it's probably big."

     "An escalation?" Grozza asked.

     "That would make the most sense," Pete concurred. "No one is listening and most of all, no one is meeting his demands. He's going strike again and when he does, he's going for the knock out."

     "So what do we do then?" Grozza asked.

     "We brace for impact," Pete answered. "And pray that we can get back up before the ten count."

     "Believe it or not, an escalation is a good thing," Grozza said.

     "How so?" Pete replied.

     "It means that everything he's done so far will not be repeated," Grozza continued. "This means no torturing people in their rooms and no more bombs or RPGs. While we don't know what he's going to do, we at least know what he's not going to do because it didn't give him the results he wanted."

     "But what would be his idea of an escalation?" Pete asked as he thought about it long and hard. There was no way the Prophet was going to back off and the silly excuse of letting him spend time with his kids was bullshit. He was up to something and needed time to get it all set up and into motion. Pete didn't like waiting around for the fireworks to start. He wanted to get ahead of it, but was no closer to gaining on the Prophet, let alone passing him.

     "Maybe he really did want to do something nice," Grozza said as he looked back at Pete.

     "That isn't his current M.O.," Pete countered, a"Especially where the Steinbach kids were concerned. He could have put them in a closet, or tied them up and blindfolded them."

     "So they could listen to their dad get tortured?" David countered.

     "Good point," Pete said as he poured a cup and put some sugar and half and half into it, "But that means this weekend was a ploy, buying him time to get the next attack ready."

     "I agree; he needed time to prep what's coming next." David put his hands to his face and sighed. "We can at least narrow his targets."

     "How so?" Pete asked.

     "He's not going to hurt the public, at least not intentionally," David reasoned. "That means public targets like parks and schools are out, especially anything that supports the middle class. Regardless of what his true intentions are, his anger is being taken out on the rich and privileged. If this isn't the Prophet's true motive, he's going to try to keep the focus there so we don't sniff out what's really going on."

     "So the next target will be one percent related?" Pete suggested.

     "Most definitely." Grozza seemed to be onto something. "What confuses me is why he took the weekend off, the real reason. No offense, but there has to be another reason why he didn't strike over the weekend."

     "I agree." Pete sat back down at his desk. "We just need to figure out what target isn't open on the weekend. It's clear he doesn't care about human life, because if he did, hitting this target while it's empty would be the compassionate thing to do. The Prophet wants a body count to rub into people's faces and he doesn't care how many get hurt or killed. That means whatever target he's going to hit is vital to the rich, but isn't open over the weekend."

     "Could it be a school?" David asked. "Like a rich kid's academy? Could he try to fight the future one percent and scare them straight?"

     "That's a possibility," Pete said as he took another sip. "Just doesn't seem like the kind of escalation he'd try. In his eyes, these CEOs are all heartless monsters. He probably assumes they don't give a crap about their kids."

     "So what do all those monsters really care about?" Grozza asked.

     "Money," McManus called out.

     Pete turned around and standing in the middle of the room was their captain. McManus couldn't stay away from the office as well, not when they were on the clock. He was a little dressier than his two detectives but he had also been to church earlier that day and just didn't have time to change out of his Sunday best.

     "What are you guys tossing around?" the captain asked.

     "We think the Prophet's next target was closed over the weekend," Pete replied. "We doubt he did anything to give me time with the boys."

     "So what's closed over the weekend that CEOs can't live without that has a lot of money?" David asked.

     "Banks," McManus suggested.

     "Sounds good," Pete said. "Hit them where it hurts; their wallet."

     "How will we find out which bank is his target?" Grozza asked.

     "For all we know, he's already hit his target," Pete retorted. "The scene might not be discovered until tomorrow morning."

     "I hope you're not right this time," McManus said as he tossed his coat into his office. "We'll start calling bank managers at home and see if any of them got a threatening letter from the Prophet."

     "Sounds like a plan," Pete concurred. It sure beat sitting around waiting for the next shoe to drop.

     "Good, let's hit the phones." The captain said as he started to roll up his sleeves. "I want to know who the target is before the opening bell rings tomorrow morning."

     Pete paused for a moment and then slammed his phone back down. He couldn't believe how stupid he had been. "That's it."

     "What is?" Grozza asked.

     "What do the CEOs care about more than anything else that is not open over the weekend?" Pete didn't need the answer because he already had it. "They all care about profits, shareholders, and their stocks. He's going to hit the Wall Street."

0