Prologue PT 1: Southern Water Tribe Child
7 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

9 years ago.....

A woman with a porcelain-doll face, pitch-black hair with a tad bit of gray going through it but not very noticeable at first in a very tight bun, and piercing eyes tending toward a darker bronze than typical Fire Nation gold, she wore a Fire Nation army uniform, her arms firmly behind her back, staring at whatever is ahead.

"Commander Hei-Ran." A soldier in a similar outfit to hers but less red, called out, bowing to her in respect.

"At ease, Soldier." Hei-Ran said in a cold tone, not glancing at the soldier at first then she turned her head slightly to glance at the soldier "You have a message for me?" She asked.

"Yes, Ma'am. Captain said we are reaching port of the southern tribe in 10 mins, however, he also said that fog is well, coming in now...." The soldier pointed forward.

Hei-Ran looked forward once more and saw the fog that Soldier was pointing at coming in ... fast.

Her eyes narrowed, frowning slightly.

This fog isn't natural...
Hei-Ran thought as she inhaled, exhaling calmly feeling the warmth of her flame inside, spreading throughout her body "Soldier, listen to me carefully because I won't repeat myself." Hei-Ran carefully spread her legs "Alert the men...quickly."

"Ma'am?" The Soldier for a split second looked confused before he saw Hei-Ran getting into Fire bending posture, immediately understanding, he did a quick bow, and ran off quickly, just as an Ice spear pierced through the fog at Hei-Ran who quickly lifted her leg above her head, smash right on the tip of the ice spear smashed it down on the ship into nothing but ice pieces, before she punched forward, felt the flames extended throughout her arm directly out of her fist as bright reddish orange fire flew out in direction where Ice spear came from, making the fog disappeared for a split second to see a couple of small wooden ships before fog quickly recovered.

She waited....and waited, then she heard it "ARRRGHHHH!" familiar sound, a cry of pain echoed, Hei-Ran smirked slightly "Bingo." Before she started doing fast rapid punches and some kicks, sending out a series of strong but small fireballs it may seem like she aiming at random but she wasn't. That cry of pain came from the northeast where she saw those wooden ships, she hoped to destroy their ships before they could get on board her ship.

She did one last flying kick before falling in a crouch, she started listening...

Whoosh, Spoosh.....
The sea waves echoed, and cries of panic, and anger sounds could be heard but then nothing but silence. Pirates are usually not this well organized or quick to recover...Hei-Ran thought, standing to her full height, waiting....

That was when hook ropes started flying, hooking themselves on the rim of the ship as Hei-Ran quickly started throwing more rapid punches on those hooks, burning them off but there were too many, it wasn't long until she saw the rotten pirates boarding her ship skillfully, she would be impressed but these are pirates of the sea, they do not deserve her respect as she keeps her temper in check, studying them carefully to see who's water bender and who isn't.

She saw some old, some young probably 15 or 17, or just middle-aged in nothing but a mixer of animal skin and fabric, wielding between some water tribe weaponry to Earth Kingdom weaponry.

"'ay look lads, we got ourselves a fire nation scum" the oldest member spoke up first, looking old and raggy like he hasn't shaved or showered in years.

Hei-Ran eye twitches slightly but she remains calm.

"You shouldn't have boarded this ship, Pirate scum," Hei-Ran spoke, her tone was cold, with no warmth whatsoever, and her piercing eyes glared directly at the group leader, behind him his crew kind of took a step back, sensing that this woman, Hei-Ran is dangerous.

"Moariq....we should go." The young boy said, hand uneasily reaching for his scimitar.

Oh? This boy has good instincts, Hei-Ran thought, studying them once more and seeing few of them copied the young boy, she frowned slightly, displeased.

"Quit being a Cuttlefish, Holros" The older ragged pirate named Moariq looked at the young boy. Hei-Ran looked closer at those two and realized they must be related. Same Sea-green eyes, and light brown skin with chestnut brown hair, though the Older pirate had a lot of gray hair going on and sea-green eyes looked lighter in color.

Pirate family, go figure. Hei-Ran thought with a sigh, getting into a Military firebender pose and making some of the Pirates jump forward, moving their hands around at a gentle but fast pace as water lifted from the sea into their hands creating water whips.

Hei-Ran paused just for a moment, counting the water benders....seeing that she was outnumbered, she looked frustrated for a split second, the temperature rising slightly off her.

Where are my men? Ooooh once I'm done here, Those soldiers gonna be doing horse stances! Hei-Ran thought angrily, as she eyed the water benders carefully. 

"Now now, Fire Nation scum, ye be outnumbered, just surrender and give us th' Cargo." Moariq grinned wolfishly, his club resting on his shoulder carelessly "Once we weigh anchor with Cargo, we might just....let ye and yer men live." He added with a mad laugh, as his crew joined in on the laughter.

Hei-Ran frowned deeply, she was outnumbered and her soldiers taking their sweet time but the way that man phrased it....Her eyes widen just slightly "Pincher attack." Hei-Ran muttered, realization falling on her face, Moariq heard that as his crazed grin widened.

"ye be right, a pincher attack." Moariq walked around Hei-Ran, wondering what he should do to her... "However, since be knowin' there be fire benders would be on board..." He added, suddenly he moved his club off his shoulder quickly at Hei-Ran but stopped near the side of her face.

Hei-Ran barely flinched, eyes staring right ahead, not fearing for her life at all, no, in fact, she is smirking.

"Why th' fuck ye be smirkin'?" The pirate leader asked in anger, moving the club closer to her cheek.

"You made a mistake and that mistake cost you." Hei-Ran turned her head slightly seeing her soldiers stealthy moving, they looked worse for wear but she could feel their determination and Fire nation pride "Pincher attack was smart but sorry for you, you picked the wrong ship to try to rob." Hei-Ran stated just as she went low and did a low spin kick, knocking Moariq off-balance before rolling to the side to dodge one water whip, she put all the weight into her palms, lifted both her legs out firing a fire from the base of her heels destroying the other whip, yelling out "Men, UPPERHEND THESE MISCREANTS!" before cartwheel back up, firing a steady stream of fire at the pirates, making them retreat until water benders started putting out the fires quickly as Hei-Ran fires them.

"You heard the commander, ATTACK!" as one Fire Nation soldier jumped out of their scouting spots attacking the pirates with no mercy whatsoever, covering each other if one made a mistake or when the Pirate got too close.

"ye gotta be kiddin' me...." Moariq muttered, getting up as he looked at Hei-Ran who spared a glance at him, seeing the fear in his old eyes "Fire nation cruiser...Why? Why here?!" Moariq glared at Hei-ran, fear is there but so is Hatred.

Hei-Ran rolled her eyes, wondering how a man could come up with such a good pincher attack but could not think why her nation's army was here "Really? You don't know why?" Hei-Ran tilts her head, and her cold piercing eyes stare at the pale sea-green eyes.

Moariq's mind worked into overdrive, putting the puzzle pieces together, he almost looked ashamed "For my people...."

Hei-Ran nodded "Yes. For your people." Hei-Ran's glare hardened "People that you have been robbing from for years" Hei-Ran harshly declared, she didn't raise her voice but the harsh tone seemed to strike Moariq in the face because he looked down.

"Are you proud of all the piracy? Killings?" Hei-Ran pressed, not waiting for an answer "Dragging your relatives into this mess?" Hei-Ran looked at the man with disgusted written all over her face, which earned a twitch from him, as she shook her head "I know the Southern water tribe is having a hard time but that doesn't excuse piracy." she looked away from Moariq, as two fire nation soldiers pushed Moariq to his knees, apprehending him.

"Status report." Hei-Ran walked away to a soldier holding his arm, grimacing in pain "4 of our men unfortunately passed, 6 injured but mostly just minor wounds. Some of the pirates did escape and the Non-benders we hired avoided combat thanks to Lieutenant Yee's quick thinking. Cargo remains untouched." The soldier quickly gave the commander the report.

"And the Captain?"

"Untouched as well."

"Good." Hei-Ran looked the man over "You seem you got a busted arm, Why haven't you reported to the medical examination room?"

"Sorry Ma'am. I wanted to make sure you get the status report, I shall report to medical examination right away." He did a half-assed bow to the commander who hummed in response, waved him off, turned to the pirates who now became their prisoners, and noticed two of the newest recruits whispering to the pirates who in return looked like they wanted to gut them into pieces

"Private Rasai and Lu!" Hei-Ran snapped at two privates that antagonized the pirates.

"C-Commander Hei-Ran!?" Two of the soldiers went into saluting pose in a panic, gulping to see fury written over their commander's face, and immediately started sweating when she was directly in front of them.

"Did I see you two antagonizing our Prisoners?" She asked

"I-we-erm.." Private Rasai a young man looked to his friend for help but it seems Private Lu was frozen in fear.

"I ask you two a question!" Hei-Ran snapped, making both privates flinched in fear.

"I-yes." Finally, Private Lu who seemed to be a female, looked down in shame, admitting it.
"Yes, Commander Hei-Ran...." Private Rasai also looks down in shame.

Hei-Ran inhaled, exhaled, and pinched the bridge between her nose, shaking her head in disappointment "This is a warning, your only warning. Do not antagonize our prisoners." She leaned forward between them to whisper "They may look harmless now but give them a single chance, they will stab you down and feed you both to Dolphin piranhas." Hei-Ran hissed, making them flinch again in fear, almost collapsing to their knees as Hei-Ran moved back, turning her back on them "Dismissed!" Hei-Ran waved her hand out, as the privates quickly and roughly shove the prisoners to higher ranks that were waiting, leaving Hei-Ran alone.

Recruits I swear, Hei-Ran rubbed her forehead, watching as they came closer to the Southern water tribe dock, hearing shouts around her like "PREPARE TO DOCK!" as Hei-Ran and her troops arrived in the Southern water tribe....
.
.
.
.
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.......Sounds of children's cheers can be heard, as the kids wore dark blue heavy, hooded coats, lined and trimmed with soft fur to keep the wearer warm. The exteriors often bear designs resembling waves or other imagery that link the garments to water bending and the general culture of the Water Tribes.

   They formed a circle around two kids, one that looked a tad older than the rest of the kids about 14, clearly a boy due to his hair being pulled back in a warrior wolf tail dark brown hair with Cornflower blue eyes, his skin was olive color wearing light clothing, this type of clothing is worn beneath the fur coats, the latter of which are not often used when traveling to warmer regions, his sleeves were short as he was holding a spear that was made of wood and bone, he amateurishly stabs it forward as this other kid just step side easily, looking pretty bored of this fight.

This young kid seems to be shorter than the older kid with dark auburn brown hair that seems to be long and messy as if they hadn't brushed it in a long time with Ardella skin making this kid not too dark but not too light either, just right in the center, their eyes were interesting color....as people of water tribe called it 'Caribbean blue' it was rare to see but not uncommon, however, she wasn't wearing any thick coat, just light clothing that more in wore out blue color like it was a hand-me-down outfit.

"Go go go Kotina go!" Some of the kids cheered on the younger kid, calling out their name "Come on Rako, don't let that girl kick your butt!" while the other kids egged the older boy on, teasing him. Rako growled, spun the spear around skillfully, trying to attack the young girl with the butt end of the spar. To Kotina's credit and shock to the water tribe kids, Kotina dropped on the ice ground, then pushed herself up, putting all her strength into her palms, lifted her legs, and kicked with all her might towards Rako's gut...

    Kotina heard the pained grunt as she saw Rako on his back, holding his stomach, tears in his eyes, any kid would've stopped fighting to check on him but not this girl, no instead, she forced herself up, dusting the snow off her hands for a moment, glaring at Rako angrily, march forward-no correction stomp forward and not very gentlewoman of her, she kicked him right in the nards once.....twice.....thrice, making some of the boys in the group covered their nards and winced in sympathy watching older boy just getting his nards kick in "I dare you to say that again, Rako!" Kotina shouted angrily, her eyes lit up in fury making the blue in her eyes slightly brighter, grabbing the older boy by the scuff of his shirt, her fist pulled back ready to punch the boy's light out after her brutal assault against his nards.

"I-I-I" Rako was in great pain, so great his eyes began to have tears in them "I'm sorry!!!" the boy cried, as tears began to fall.

Kotina has begun to hear whispers around her...

"Woah....she made Rako cry...."
"She even kicked him in the nards, 3 times....that's just cold...."
"How can 7 year old beat a 14 year old?"
"No idea...."
"She's a monster..."

Monster.....That word echoed around her head, making her grit her teeth together, she let the crying boy go.....clenching her fists in anger, glaring at kids that made a circle around their little fight, making them flinch, not meeting her eyes in her return, she started walking away....making crowd break apart...

Ever since she was born, her father treated her like an Arctic hippo because she wasn't born as the opposite sex! To make matters worse, she was not even a water bender either, so her father wanted nothing to do with her.

     What made life bearable in her family was her mother, the kindest and most beautiful woman in all of the water tribe, she was so kind she often would say "Don't hate your father, he just had a rough upbringing, he'll come around and adore you like any father" She waited for that moment, for that adoration but it never came and it unlikely will since their rift became more nonexistent due to her mother passing in that terrible ice storm since her mother passed.... the last iceberg broke within her father because next thing she knew she was tossed outside in nothing but her light clothing and a blanket when she was only 5 years old.

The water tribe pitied poor Kotina but does nothing and keeps to their devices eventually they come to a compromise they may not be able to take her in but if she does chores, they reward her with food and a place to stay for the night, So for 2 years, she survived by doing chores, chores that helped keep her fit and strong enough to take out warrior in training.

Kotina sighed, she was grateful to the water tribe for helping her out even if it was out of pity....she continued to walk but paused when she heard something.

"Hey Kanpachi!!" Kotina blinked, wondering why someone calling out a that oily stinky fish "I'm talking about you, Stupid!" The same voice called out as Kotina's eye twitched "HUH?" Kotina snapped then her eyes widened seeing Ice claws coming right at her with surprising speed seeing a girl with similar looks to Rako but with those stupid hair loops.

Of course, Rako's twin, Kayo, and my worst enemy, Kotina thought as she decided to fall backward, letting the ice claws zoom on by her, which hit an empty sled as she sat up with snow in her hair "WERE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?!" Kotina snapped and held her fist up angrily at Kayo.

"WHAT?! NO! JUST WANTED YOU TO APOLOGIES TO MY BROTHER, YOU KANPACHI!" Kayo snapped right back and held her fist up in anger as well.

"NO AWAY, I APOLOGIZE TO THAT COD FLOUNDER! HE'S THE ONE WHO STARTED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!" Kotina growled, glaring at the Kayo.

"HAH?!" Kayo's eye twitched "I DON'T CARE, APOLOGIES!" Kayo shouted, marching forward, ignoring the adults who came to watch, most of them were betting on who would win this fight. Seems like this is a normal occurrence.

"Who do you think would win this time? Kotina or Kayo?" One man whispered to a middle-aged woman "Probably neither. This is usually where elder Omuna appears" the woman replied, looking at the kids with an amused sort of look.

"NO WAY AND STOP CALLING ME KANPACHI, YOU WHALE WALRUS!!" Kotina marched as well, cracking her knuckles ready to punch this girl lights out.

"WHALE WALRUS?! OH THAT IS IT!" Kayo covered in hands in water, dashed forward ready to beat the snort nose brat that dared call her that, Kotina met the girl head-on, as much as before the circle formed, egging the girls on, it's like this was their only source of entertainment.

Kayo tried to water whip Kotina but Kotina bobbed and weaved, went for an uppercut using her small size to her advantage Kayo lightly jumped back and launched her water arm at the small girl who quickly rolled to the side "HA! YOU ARE LOWSY SHOT!" Kotina taunted "Arghhhh! It wasn't lousy, you just too damn small like Sea squid!" Kayo retorted quickly, managed to grab hold of Kotina's ankle roughly, lifting her and smashing her down in a pile of snow "ouf!" Kotina coughed, shaking her head, muttering "Waterbending is so unfair..." just as she grabbed snow, making a ball, as Kayo drew closer....

"SNOWBENDING STYLE-BALL!" Kotina suddenly declared, tossing the snow directly in Kayo's face and making the older girl squeal in surprise, allowing Kotina to tackle the girl down, punching the girl in the face, she got two good hits in before Kayo shoved her off and then climbed on top of her, punching Kotina in the face as payback. 

"Annndddd Kayo ditches water bending." Man sighed, paying the taller man some water tribe money "Haha called it!" A taller man excitedly accepts the money.

"Hmmm...." The woman held her chin, thinking.

"What is it honey?" the bearded man asked, placing a hand on her shoulder in concern "I wonder if Kayo does this on purpose...." His wife wondered out loud causing some of the other wives to consider what the bearded man's wife said.

"Now that you mention it...It does seem almost daily that Kayo picks a fight against Kotina...I wonder why." Another woman with short spiky hair said, watching the fight and seeing the two girls standing up with wounds on their faces but what threw this woman off was the fact that the two were grinning like madwomen.

"Oh, you don't know why? The answer is simple is because Kayo deeply cares about Kotina. Ever since Kolrus kicked Kotina out of their tent for whatever reason that idiot man has." The old man sighed, pouring himself tea, as he continued talking "Kayo has been there for her, watching over her, helping her when we couldn't afford to spare any rations." The old man looked at his tea, showing that he does regret not helping the poor girl out more "If you all recall, Kotina was a meek little girl that didn't ask for anything nor beg for it...she just smiled" the elderly man spoke up, nosily sipping on his tea, watching Kotina did roundhouse kick which Kayo blocked with her arm as onlookers nodded in agreement, remembering how meek Kotina was. 

"Now look at her. She's an outspoken, honest, and quite a fighter." The old man laughed softly and watched as Kotina threw yet another snowball.

"WILL YOU STOP THROWING SNOWBALLS?!" Kayo snapped, wiping the fresh snow from her face "NEVER!" Kotina retorted, throwing yet another snowball, making some of the Water tribe members snicker.

"That's nice of Kayo even though they bicker and fight constantly." The bald man said, passing over some money to a woman who held out his hand, indicating he lost a bet.

"I think Kayo is training Kotina to be able to stand on her own two feet." The old man pointed out "Hence the fighting and bickering, Though the other kids on the other hand...." Old man sighed

"Became little shitheads?" The bald man offered, shrugging when the women glared at the guy "What? They have. Have you heard what they say to Kotina? It's a miracle that Kayo doesn't beat their asses." The bald man defended himself.

"Well, that just-....." One woman considered what the Bald man said before sighing "Oh you are right." She shakes her head in disappointment to the younger generation.

"Last question, Does Kotina know what Kayo is doing?" The bald man asked, scratching his chin, that got the water tribe members to look at one another and shrug, continuing to watch the fight.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Fire Nation cruiser docked on the small little port that was usually for fishing trips but it seemed empty, with no boats.

Hei-Ran exited the ship with two Lieutenants following close behind, though one of them had an arm in a makeshift cast and the other had a black eye from the failed attempt of piracy.

The commander sees an elder woman who is leaning heavily against a wooden crafted cane behind her 5 grown, fit men who have their weapons sheathed. The elderly-looking woman's hair was gray and white due to her age pulled back into a braid with two hair loops framing aside of her face, Azure eyes, her outfit was a thick coat in color of dark blue, and she held a grandmotherly smile seeing Hei-Ran.

"Hei-Ran, Good to finally see you again." The elder woman did fire nation way of a bow, showing mass respect to the fire bender.

"Omuna, beautiful as ever" Hei-Ran returned the bow, complementing the elder woman, they both lifted themselves, looked at one another before they shared a quiet laugh, and then hugged each other fondly like a grandparent-granddaughter relationship.

"You've certainly gotten older, Hei-Ran but still looking young as ever" Omuna gently grasped Hei-Ran's cheeks, turning her face to the left and right "Ow ow, you may be old now but you still have that iron grip of yours." Hei-Ran winced slightly, making the elder woman laugh softly, letting Hei-Ran go as the commander rubbed her cheeks.

Elder looked to the semi-injuried men behind Hei-Ran that's awkwardly looking away at this strange friendship "Oh my! Seems like you had adventure" Omuna pointedly looked at the injuries and damage to the front of the ship.

Commander sighed, glancing at her men "Yeah, we did."

"Let me guess, Pirates." Omuna guessed.

"Indeed." Hei-Ran nodded, looking at the older woman with solemn eyes.

Omuna shakes her head in disappointment, cannot believe some of her tribesmen would turn to piracy "How many of your men did you lose..."

"4." Hei-Ran didn't look sad mostly because it was a normal occurrence to lose men in the line of duty but she knew at least 2 of them had family, she wasn't looking forward to seeing them, telling their family that died in line of duty.

"How many are injured?"

"6, but they are minor wounds." Hei-Ran couldn't help but smile lightly seeing the elder showing concern over her men "Minor? Does that look minor to you?" Omuna pointed to the young man's arm "Uh, Actually ma'am, I just dislocated my arm." A lieutenant with a makeshift cast spoke up, explaining his injury.

"Well, that certainly explains why it's in half-assed cast." Elder shook her head in disgust seeing poorly designed cast.

"Omuna..." Hei-Ran couldn't be helped but called out the old woman trying to calm her down so that she doesn't become that mighty healer Omuna.

"I know I know." Omuna rolled her eyes, and looked up at Hei-Ran "Were those pirates after our shipment?" She asked

"Yes, for pirates, they were well organized, even did military tactics," Hei-Ran explained, holding up her palm as the non-benders they hired started moving the water tribe shipment down to meet the 5 water tribe waters that helped. 

"Hmm..." Omuna hummed in thought, wondering if it had something to do with that fifth nation she kept hearing about "Well, I'm sorry for your losses but thank you for personally bringing our shipment." Omuna didn't want to discuss that with the commander, not right now as she gently grabbed Hei-Ran's warm hands, grateful to Hei-Ran for doing this.

Hei-Ran gently gripped the elderly woman's hand back, and her mask slipped, showing deep gratitude to the elder woman "Anything for a friend..." Omuna has been there for Hei-Ran since she lost her husband and her close friend, Avatar Kuruk, was always willing to help this woman out in any way possible, though curiosity and concern are written all over Hei-Ran's face as she continued talking "though I am deeply concerned, you usually don't ask any nation for help."

Omuna knew Hei-Ran would ask this and let out a tired sigh "I will explain but over some tea." Hei-Ran nodded and turned to her two Lieutenants "Yari, Cheka pass this message along to our men."

Two Lieutenants nodded, waiting for the message.

"We have been sailing since this morning without a single stop, beaten a bunch of pirates, lost some of our men in the process, and captured some of the pirates. I say you all deserve a break and a night's rest!" Hei-Ran paused for a moment, letting her words sink in "However, we be leaving around the evening sun, so try not to get drunk and make sure to rotate shifts of guarding our prisoners." Hei-ran finished giving the message.

Two lieutenants saluted and went to pass the message along as Hei-Ran looked to Omuna "Well, I'm free for that tea now."

"Haha," Omuna laughed "Kolrus." Omuna looked up to a taller male with a Balbo beard in color of dark auburn brown with a touch of gray through it, his hair similar to the beard color but in warrior wolf tail as all men in the southern water tribe "Yes, Chief?" Hei-Ran looked surprised for a moment hearing the Chief comment as Omuna continued as if nothing happened "Make sure to dispute the food and blankets evenly as possible with the elders first, then families with kids." Omuna clenched her cane tighter, as she gave Kolrus a cold glare that made the man look nervous "For the love of Raava, make sure your daughter gets something as well."

Kolrus's eyes flashed with anger being reminded that he has a daughter, frowning only slightly, he still looked nervous but anger overcame it "I don't have a daughter." Kolrus flatly said, walking off knowing what his job is as Omuna sighed, watching Kolrus with a tang of sadness in her eyes.

"Omuna?" Hei-Ran noticed, placing a gentle warm hand on the elder woman's shoulder, she was a tad bit curious about why that man said he didn't have a daughter when he did since Omuna knew but she knew that she was an outsider here, so she kept quiet...

"That man is such a fool." Omuna grumbled, shaking her head in disappointment, as she walked toward the village "I'll explain as we walk."

"You don't have to, Omuna" Hei-Ran matched Omuna's pace, melting the snow slightly as she walked since she wasn't exactly dressed for water tribe weather "I know but context is needed plus I might ask you for a favor."

Hei-Ran didn't know what else to say so she nodded "Now where to begin?" The elderly woman asked herself, looking at the sky as they walked. 

The Commander didn't say anything but waited for her friend to speak first "I won't share a lot since it is not my story to tell but that man does have a daughter. Her name is Kotina, a little troublemaker with a heart of a dragon." Omuna spoke, using the cane to help her move, though she was using some water bending to help her move against the snow. Hei-Ran listened, she looked generally interested in this young kid with the heart of a dragon, mostly because the Water tribe doesn't tend to use fire nation slang and whatnot due to them being opposites and This commander can guess where Omuna is going with this too. "Her father due to his upbringing wanted a son and water bender but the spirits had other plans so instead of getting what he wanted...." Omuna trailed off looking sad.

"He got the opposite. A daughter and Nonbender." Hei-Ran guessed, but she furrowed her brows "But, I thought most men would be happy to have a daughter." Hei-Ran said, gently smiling remembering when she was pregnant with Rangi, her Husband being so overjoyed "The nonbending part is also understandable but at least your daughter won't be a target for marriage and still can be trained in the arts of combat." Hei-Ran pointed out, almost with a disgusted tone for the marriage part since most arranged marriages are usually for royalty and those born in better upbringings going after families with a bender, doesn't matter where you go, marriages usually never for love in this world, she has been so grateful that she married right guy that she did truly love, even though he wasn't her first love...

"You would think but as I said, Kolrus's upbringing made him a very stubborn man, thinking women cannot be fighters, poor mindset really but anyway. He treated his daughter like a Sea sponge because she was neither of what he wanted." Omuna sighed, looking slightly frustrated.

"......How bad of treatment are we talking about here?" Hei-Ran asked, being a mother herself, she couldn't help but ask.

Omuna let out a sigh "Not the greatest. He ignored her for the most part, even when she could walk. However, when she did get sick, he dropped everything and would've gotten her the medicine that she needed. That was when I knew he wasn't a lost cause, he just didn't know what to do with a girl." Hei-Ran sighed, shaking her head slightly in disappointment "Most men don't know how to raise a daughter, but that doesn't stop them from learning." The commander once more pointed out, making Omuna laugh softly. 

  "You're not wrong, Hei-Ran. Not wrong at all. But, Kolus is a Stubborn man. He was trying then but...." Omuna paused for a moment as a cold wind blew, her eyes held sadness in them. "Loss of his wife harden his heart and he...." Omuna hesitated to say this to Hei-Ran since the Fire Nation lady is quite scary when she pissed.

Hei-Ran looked to Omuna standing next to a shorter older woman with arms crossed over her chest, waiting, Omuna let out another sigh and said " He kicked her out of their home when she was 5."

Hei-Ran tightened grip on her arm, trying not to let her temper rise, remembering her training, she breathed through her nose. In and out, in and out..... guess being a mother herself made her protective of children who have been through a lot.

"I take it that she is alive and well since you mentioned her," Hei-Ran asked her temper in check. "Yeah...For 2 years. We made a trade with her, if she helped us do chores, we were provided with clothing, a bath, food, and a place to stay for a night." Omuna admitted, almost looking ashamed of herself but Hei-Ran didn't see anything wrong with that "That's quite a fair trade, not many kids get that, especially orphans."

"That is true but I wish I could help out more, I often think of Kotina as my granddaughter but my old age and being temporary chieftain I won't have time for her nor be alive long enough to see her grow up." Omuna sighed. 

 "....." The commander looked at her oldest friend with 'a Are you serious' look, because she was pretty sure Omuna was at least 100 years old or less, hard to tell and ask since Omunawouldl never give a straight answer, so Instead she asked "How about other villagers?"

Omuna scoffed "They care enough to do the trade but not enough to adopt her. Though, Cannot blame them, it has been a harsh season this year." Omuna continued to walk as Hei-Ran followed close behind.

Hei-Ran started to put puzzles together and was about to ask when suddenly a boy dashed up to them in a panic before collapsing to his knees, heavily panting "Rako? What are you doing here?" Omuna asked with a look of curiosity, as she rubbed his back gently, to help him breathe better then she realized why Rakowass was here she let out a long sigh "Let me guess, Your sister and Kotina again?" 

The boy nodded, still catching his breath.

The boy must've run for a while, impressive. Hei-Ran thought as she studied the boy carefully before looking to Omuna who facepalmed and muttered "For Tui's sake....."

"I take it this happens often?" Hei-Ran asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Too often for my liking." Omuna answered with an annoyance look that only grandmother could muster "Rako, lead the way, Hei-Ran you know where my hut is so you can wait-"

"I'm coming with you." Hei-Ran cut Omuna off with a hand wave, making Omuna laugh softly "Alright, well, Rako, let us go."

"Yes Elder Omuna," Rako said as he fully caught his breath and started to lead them into the village to where the fight was. 

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
  Both young girls are heavily panting, glaring at one another, covering in injuries that would normally have a kid in the medical tent but these two are not yielding. Though yielding for Kotina means weak, she will never yield, not to Kayo or anyone else. Never. However, she has a gut feeling that Kayo is holding back since she hasn't seen her do any water bending for a while.

Does she think I'm not worthy of her water bending? Kotina thought she felt small, smaller than her actual height but then she felt this raging hot anger about to burst as she glared, she licked her lips, she tasted dried blood, and she could only assume that she had a busted lip, her vision in her left eye felt blurry from when Kayo decked her.

She tried to move her right arm, and flinched only slightly in pain, wondering if her arm was broken or just dislocated, she looked to Kayo and smirked, she pretty much injured the same way that she was but Instead of her arm, it seems to be her leg as she leans on her weaker leg more, her hair loops are loosen giving her more of a wild look as she was panting, glancing at Kotina in return, then Kayo sighed, shaking her head "Kotina.....Just give up already, you can barely fight like that!" Kayo said, pointing at Kotina.

"Could say same to you, Whale Walrus...." Kotina retorted, slightly smirking when she saw Kayo's eye twitch in annoyance, almost did her water-bending style of Snow wave at her but stopped her hand motion, which made Kotina frown "Why are you holding back?! Don't you wish I apologized to your stupid stinking brother or not?! Do I not make you mad when I call you whale walrus?!" Kotina snapped, all her anger pouring out, not caring about the water tribe villagers watching her now "Why are you not waterbending? Is it because I'm not worthy of your stupid stinking bending?" Kotina asked, angrily. 

Not worthy of my waterbending...serious is that what she thinks? 
Kayo thought with a sigh, scratching her head in frustration trying to figure out how to escape this, she hated when Kotina was like this then again, she didn't exactly help the nonbender. Truthfully, Kayo felt ashamed of herself, instead of picking on her, treating her like a...a...Sea sponge, she should've treated Kotina like a friend, hell a sister even but now, they were like bitter rivals.

Kotina is a nonbender and herself being a Bender with polar opposite personalities.

I cannot say that I don't want to accidentally kill her, that just makes her even more mad but at the same time cannot say that I wanted to fight as her equal because truthfully I'm not. Ugh, this girl makes me so frustrated! I cannot figure her out at all! Kayo thought, gritted her teeth, as she let out a sigh, trying to calm herself down because either way this young girl gonna be pissy with her.

"Because why would I water bend against you? That just makes this fight unfair!" Kayo places her hand on her hip, looking at Kotina with an unreadable expression.

Kotina wasn't expecting an answer to be honest and an honest one at that as she clenched both her fists, bit her bust lip hard, her bangs covered her eyes, and she was shaking....she was about to say something.

"La's fins!" Omuna broke through the crowd, She was going to stop the fight but the fight seemed to be done for now. To her great shock, both girls are greatly injured but then anger flashes in her eyes "WHAT WERE YOU TWO THINKING?!" The elder woman snapped, then she turned her frosty glare to the villagers who looked away with mixed looks, mostly with Shame or embarrassment "HOW COULD YOU ALL JUST WATCH? YA THINK IT AMUSING SEEING TWO GIRLS FIGHT?!" She snapped and she got every right to because yeah, water tribe villagers could've stopped this but they didn't.

"I swear...." Omuna muttered, pinching the bridge between her nose, disappointed before she looked to Kayo first "YOU, should be ashamed of yourself. You are 13, not a little girl anymore." Omuna lectured the young girl who looked away in shame. 

"And you!" Omuna turned to Kotina, though her eyes softened upon looking at the girl "You certainly are experienced for a 7-year-old but you, not a water bender, you could've died, Kotina-" Omuna shook her head but Kotina suddenly just took off, shocking Omuna " Kotina? KOTINA!" Omuna shouted the young girl's name but she didn't stop nor turned her head, just took off blindly.

Omuna held her hand up and let out a sigh, she let Kotina go, she knew she would come to her when her injuries got too great for herself "Do you want me to go after her?" Hei-Ran, the Fire nation walked up, offering to help, she too used to see girls injuring themselves or against each other doing Agni Kai.

"Don't worry about it, Hei-Ran. She will come back...once her injuries are too great, however...." Omuna looked to Kayo who gulped seeing wrath in her eyes "Follow me to my hut, Kayo. Rako, Help your sister." Omuna commanded out.

"Yes, Elder Omuna!" Rako snapped to attention, and helped his sister "Ow, you idiot that's my bad leg!" "Sorry sis...." As the twins bickered, Hei-Ran and Omuna led the way to a bigger dark blue hut in the center of the village. Omuna opened the flap for Hei-Ran and the twins to enter.

Inside were just traditional water tribe ornaments with pots filled with clean water, a furred bed to the left, and a kitchen to the right with a decent wooden table in the center with gray wolf-furred carpet under it.

"Sit." Omuna pointed to the twins "Hei-Ran would you do the honors?" 

Omuna pointed to the cold fireplace as she started getting tea in a lovely blue-shaded tea kettle.

Hei-Ran casually just shoots a small fire into the fireplace, and it instantaneously brings warmth into the hut "Thank you." Omuna smiled, placing the tea kettle over the fireplace, keeping it in place with a Pike.

Rako held his sister down as gently as he could, then he looked at Hei-Ran with sparkly eyes, he never witnessed fire bending before so that was pretty cool to see but Hei-Ran just a seiza sit, giving Rako her unimpressed stare, making Rako nervous, he thought Fire Nation had more of golden eyes not darker bronze color, it's pretty unnerving.....

"While the tea boils, let's take of these injuries, tell me what's bothering you more?" Omuna asked, pretty much getting in seiza position much like Hei-Ran next to Kayo.

"M-My leg....." Kayo tried to move her right leg but winced "I can move it relatively and some amount of pressure on it...so it is not broken." Kayo hummed, casually dropping that but she earned a swat on the leg "OWWW WHAT THE HOG MONKEY WAS THAT FOR, ELDER OMUNA?!" Kayo cried out, holding her bad leg, tears slightly out of her eyes.

"Medical check. Your right, not broken but dislocated." Omuna hummed, and grabbed Kayo's leg, making her cry out in pain "Oh hush you, big baby, this is nothing. Back in my day, we didn't have healing until I mended my cut" Omuna spoke, studying the leg more closely "Hmm, clean dislocation, easy fix. Kotina did this?"

Kayo looked to the side with a bitter sort of look "Yes." Kayo admitted Hei-Ran let out sort of surprise sound but she covered it up with a cough as Kayo looked at Fire Nation commander "Um, Elder Omuna...who is this Fire tosser?" The young girl asked, earning another swat to the leg "OW!"

"Don't be rude to my guest." Omuna scolded, before nodding to Hei-ran.
"Greetings, My name is Hei-Ran. Commander of Fire Nation army." Hei-Ran spoke up and bowed her head in greeting to the young Water tribe twins.

"Oh. Uh. Kayo." Kayo muttered, not sure how to act around a fire nation soldier, on the other hand, Her brother gasped "As in thee Hei-Ran, the one who taught Avatar Kuruk?!" He excited shouted, making his voice crack, nearly jumped up to shake Hei-Ran's hand but stopped himself since it was rude to grab a woman's hand without permission, so he held it out "My name is Rako, it's an honor to meet the one who taught the Avatar." Rako politely said with a smile.

Kayo rolled her eyes, and muttered "Fanboy." Omuna snorted slightly making sure no further injury on the leg before she attempted to relocate the bone. Hei-Ran nodded, and shook Rako's hand firmly, before letting go, not going to indulge him further.

"She shakes my handdddddd" Rako muttered, holding his hand in front of his face with sparkly eyes, not paying attention to the girls now, too busy fanboying. 

"Okay, this gonna hurt a lot more than what Kotina did to you, so on the count of 3...." Omuna warned, looking to Kayo, grabbing her leg more firmly, and putting her hand in the right spots to do this correctly.

Kayo nodded, gulping slightly "1....." Kayo started it off.
"2......" Omuna didn't wait for three as she immediately started to roughly yank, twist, and push up, Kayo let out a scream of pain, as Omuna did this a few times before finally hearing an audible pop as the bone was reset correctly "All alright, done." Omuna let go of her leg with a grin.

"You hag! You said on 3!" Kayo shouted angrily with tears in her eyes "You would just tense up on 3, so had to trick you." Omuna shrugged, like it was no big deal, even pointedly ignoring the Hag comment.
"Ugh...." Kayo didn't say anything because Omuna was right but she moved her leg, it was still in pain but not as bad as before "Thank you, Elder Omuna."

"You are welcome, Kayo. Though, let your leg heal normally, no healing on that." Omuna said as she quickly went to the kettle that was boiling now making that annoying hisssssss sound.

Kayo nodded, and pulled some water from a nearby pot, considering to water whip her fanboying twin but stopped herself as she started healing her knuckles first as it lightly glowed blue, Hei-Ran watched seeing the bruises and scrapes disappear slowly.

"So, What started this fight?" Omuna asked, pouring tea into some cups, Kayo sighed, and looked at Hei-Ran for a split second, wondering if a stranger could listen to this "Don't worry about my guest. She won't mind listening to children's squabbles, she probably has some insight for you though." Omuna grabbed Blubbered seal jerky, Kale cookies, and Seaweed bread slices on the tray, as Hei-Ran rolled her eyes at the elder woman for pointing that out. 

"I want her to apologize to Rako," Kayo said, carefully getting into seiza as she spoke. Rako snapped out of his fanboy phase and nodded "Kotina um....kind of beaten me up." Rako said with a sigh, kind of disappointed with himself, though he didn't say the full truth of why she did it, basically trying to save his skin.

Hei-Ran frowned, noticing that not the full story, and turned her gaze to him, staring him down, as Rako flinched, and looked everywhere but her now.

Omuna knew something was up as she frowned, headed to the table, got into Seiza herself, passed out the tea, left the tray in the center with the snacks on it, and looked at Rako with a raised eyebrow "She beat you up? A Warrior in training? Really?" Omuna does not believe that "She....very strong okay?" Rako muttered, taking his tea, and blew on it, before sipping the green tea.

"I'm not exactly sure what happened myself but from what other kids told me, Kotina kicked him in the nards....at least 3 times." Kayo said, casually sipping her tea "Kayo!" Rako blushed in embarrassment, as Omuna nodded "Ah, yeah that would knock any man down. However...." Omuna nibbled on the jerky for a moment, shooting a glare at Rako "Kotina is not the type to pick fights."

Rako flinched, nearly dropped his kale cookie in his lap, keeping silent "You not telling the full truth, boy." Hei-Ran said, drinking her tea calmly, not taking her eyes off him, making him flinch again, as he looked down, fidgeting. 

Kayo pauses for a moment to look at her brother, she remembers something "You know...she mentioned that you started it, Brother." Kayo narrowed her eyes at her twin, making him gulp "Is that true?" Kayo growled out, trying to keep her temper in check.

That was the last straw, as he nodded meekly "Y-yes...I said some very hurtful things to her after I caught her watching our practice...."

Kayo frowned "What did you say to her?" His twin asked, tapping her finger on the table. Omuna and Hei-Ran listened, it seemed to be for the best to let the siblings talk while they listened.

"I told her that the reason why her father hated her was that she was worthless and weak and that's why her mother left her and got herself killed in that bad ice storm...." Rako looked down as he told everyone what he said to her.

Silence, absolute silence greeted the warrior in training, he lifted his head to see the looks....Hei-Ran's disappointed head shakes Omuna's surprised look, and his sister's wrathful look that he often gets when he doesn't do his laundry.
Then he felt a slap across his face, he held his cheek and looked at his sister, he never got slapped in the face, only a slap to the back of the head when he did something stupid, so he was quite shocked.

"You idiot...." Kayo said, her hand still held out, considering slapping again but stopped herself "Why would you say those things to her?!" 

Rako held his cheek, and looked down, not saying anything, what could he say? He didn't know why he said that either.

"Kotina, is a sensitive girl, Rako. She tries to hide it by being tough." Kayo pinched a bridge between her nose "What you said to her was like a reality check and reminder of how her mother passed away." Kayo looked at her brother with a headshake "It was no wonder why she was fighting that hard..." Kayo muttered that last part to herself as she narrowed her eyes at the table.

"You know, Kayo...you said something cruel stuff to her too..." Rako pointed out making Kayo flinched, as she let out a groan "I knowwwwww" Kayo mumbled out, as she placed her head down, and covered her head in shame "But nothing like what you did, Rako." She said which sounded muffled but Rako heard it as he couldn't help but agree with her, but then Rako looked confused, he thought his sister hated Kotina, way she acted told another story.

"I thought you hated Kotina," Rako stated

Omuna snorted, earning an embarrassed glare from Kayo "Oh, honey. She doesn't hate Kotina. In fact, she adores Kotina." Omuna took over sipping her tea with a grandmotherly smile across her face "Kayo is just an awkward kid who cannot express her true feelings, she reminds me of your guys' mother haha!" Omuna let out a laugh.

"Shut up, you hag!" Kayo snapped with red cheeks, arms across her chest "Kotina just n-need a helping hand is all!" Kayo tried to defend herself.
Rako looks....stunned. He never saw his sister like this. He knew his sister had this protective nature, especially toward him since he is also a non bender but he never really he saw his sister being like that around Kotina. He thought about it...

"You know....that explains a lot." Rako held his chin "Kayo often talks about Kotina, always thought it was an annoyance but the more I thought about it, it was affection." Rako glanced at his red-faced sister with an amused sort of look "And you wanted our mom to take her in...." Rako added.

"...." Kayo didn't deny it, as she took a slice of seaweed bread, so that she wouldn't talk "Kayo, you have the weirdest way of showing affection." Rako flat-out said it with a deadpanned look.

"URK!" Kayo felt an arrow pierce her heart when he said that.

"That she does. Since she was mean with Kotina first...." Omuna trailed off to let Rako figure it out, which wasn't long as he groaned "Kids naturally followed in pursuit thinking it was okay to pick on Kotina." Rako slapped his forehead "Sister, I love you but you are an idiot."

"URKK!" Kayo felt yet more arrows pierce her heart as she crumbled against the table with tears in her eyes "I know I screw up...I'm trying to find a way to make it up to Kotina but each time I try I just make it worse..."

"I may have a suggestion." Hei-Ran offered, after finishing a kale cookie, dusting crumbles off her lap, looking to the girl first "Listen to what Kotina says and go from there." Hei-Ran suggested, quietly sipping her tea, keeping the tea warm with her fire bending "As for you boy, I think you owe that girl an apology."

"What if she doesn't want to talk to us?" Rako and Kayo asked together.

"Keep trying." Hei-Ran said, getting another kale cookie "She will come around."
Kayo and Rako looked at one another, nodded, and finished drinking their tea, they stood and bowed "Thank you for the lovely tea and snacks, Elder Omuna, Commander. We shall go and find Kotina."

Omuna smiled softly "About time, you hoodlums." Omuna nibbles more on jerky "If you do find her, please tell her to come to my hut."

"What, you don't trust me to heal her?" Kayo asked with a raised eyebrow. 

Omuna nearly choked on her jerky before she looked to Kayo which can only be described as endearingment "Dear. I love you but, I wouldn't trust you with a stab wound victim, your healing is....." Omuna tried to find the words.

"Lackluster?" Rako suggested, earning a swat to the back of the head by his sister.

"Well, that's one way to put it." Omuna shrugged

"Rude!" Kayo huffed with puff cheeks, making Omuna and Rako laugh and rub the back of his head from where his sister swatted him.
Hei-Ran just smiled slightly, it was nice to hear friendly banter.

"It just means you're still learning, Kayo. Keep at it and you probably be a decent healer....hopefully." Omuna said with a lopsided grin.

Kayo rolled her eyes as she left the hut, not gonna take the teasing anymore "Once again, it is an honor to meet you, Commander, and thank you for the advice." Rako bowed deeply to Hei-Ran, then to Omuna, followed his sister out of the hut. 

Silence settled in the hut as Omuna nosily munched on a cookie, Hei-Ran took some bread and jerky made a half sandwich with it, and ate a couple of bites before she pointedly looked to Omuna "You just had to use me as a mediator?" Hei-Ran asked, it wasn't anger or bitterness, it was more of endearment.

"I'm not sorry," Omuna said as she poured more tea for them both.

Hei-Ran sighed "You are one sly old hag."

Omuna let out a bark of a laugh, sitting more into a crisscross than a seiza, getting comfortable as she rubbed her knee "Hey, you are as well young lady, not only that. You are a commander and a former teacher of Kuruk, dear."

"Well, I guess you are welcome?" Hei-Ran also switches to crisscross since she is in the presence of a friend "Though, I cannot help but wonder if that was your favor you wanted to ask me." Hei-Ran stated, quietly sipping more of her tea.

"I wish but no. That drama was more of trying to get those kids to talk." Omuna swiftly reached under the table for something as she explained "Which hopefully, they do." 

Hei-Ran looked at her tea for a split second, hearing shuffling, and lifted her head to see the table being cleared off "Let's play Pai Sho while we talk." Omuna offered just as the table was already set up, Hei-Ran shook her head in disbelief before she looked to Omuna and said "I accept that challenge, Omuna. I won't lose this time."

"You say that every time dear."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
    Kotina kept on running and running with no destination in mind until she tripped and fell face-first into the snow....she just lay there wondering things like why can couldn't be born as a boy. Why didn't she get water-bending? Why did no one want to take her in? Why were the kids so mean? Why.....why is she still alive? Just so many things going through her head, she would let out a sigh, lifted herself, dusting snow off her only layer of clothing as she shivered, then winced "Crap...." Her right arm seems....swollen, darker in color but she can relatively move it, just not well enough "Hmm...I think my arm is just dislocated...." She looked ahead, keeping her arm in place it appeared she ran in the direction of her former home, still the small pale blue hut, great for a family of three.

"....Father won't be home for a few hours..." Kotina muttered to herself and went to the hut. She feels the coldness seeping into her skin as she moves sluggishly forward, pushing open the flap and entering.

Inside the hut was not as homey as she remembered...the wooden table where she had written her name was gone, her mother's sewing area was gone, and the tea-stained polar bear rug was gone....only thing she could see was a single plate, bowl, cup, some wine jugs here and there along with broken scattered spears. Kotina went sluggishly moved to the wall near the fireplace, and placed her hand on it....

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Kotina, where are you?" A woman's voice called out, wiping her hands on a cloth, searching for someone, wandering around the hut.

Young girl in nice thick wool clothing and styled hair with those hair loops "Mama, over here!" She called out, her Caribbean blue eyes sparkled hiding something behind her back near the fireplace.

"Ah, there you are, why are you near the fireplace? You know that dangerous dear" The Woman tried to sound strict but she had that gentle smile, her hair was light chestnut brown in a Side Braid with a twist, and her eyes were not like Kotina's Caribbean blue eyes but looked more like ocean blue color, close but not close, her skin was similar to Kotina's Ardella skin.

Kotina gave a lopsided grin, and held out a horrible doll that looked like a cross between a polar bear dog and a normal wolf and a horrible wooden dagger "Made you and Papa a gift!"

"Aww, what adorable....." The woman that kotina called Mama held a thoughtful look trying to figure out what the hell her daughter made "Erm...Polar bear dog?" The woman tilts her head.

"Yeah! Do you like it?" The girl asked with an unsure look, the woman looked at Kotina's hands seeing several homemade wraps around her little fingers and some not so wrapped, the woman got to her knees taking the young girl's hands into hers "You work hard on this didn't you, Kotina?"

Kotina nodded fast "Yeah! Grandma Omuna showed me how to sew and crave something from wood!" Kotina excitedly chattered explaining to her mother "Though...the needle and knife hurt..." She looked at her hands, winced when her mother started poking on them "Mama...that hurts..."

"Hmm, the wraps are okay....though we still need to clean out the owies" The woman chuckled "Sorry, Kotina, just making sure but what bought this one?"

"Mmm, Sifu Kute said that giving gifts is a sign of thank you for taking care of me, I wish I could make you a dress though mama" Kotina huffed, pouting just a tad "But, Grandma Omuna said that I'm too young to try to make a dress...."

The woman let out a gentle laugh "
Well, She's not wrong, you would've hurt yourself way more. I don't know about you but I don't want my baby girl to get bigger owie than these" Woman gently squeezes her daughter's hands, showing her point, causing the young girl to giggle before she looks sad.

"Hmm? What's wrong, Kotina?" The woman asked with a head tilt "You think Papa would like the wooden dagger?"

The woman didn't say anything right away, then she smiled "Of course he gonna love it, his baby girl made him something, by herself!" The woman said she told herself as she told her daughter, believing that he would love it "R-Really?" Kotina lifted her head, seeing her mother nod firmly "Of course! Now....do you wanna help me bake something for Papa?"

The young girl nodded "Yeah!" Kotina held her mother's hand as the woman would lead her to the kitchen.....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

     The memory faded as 7-year-old Kotina's vision blurred as she weakly muttered "Mama...." Before she sniffed and hurried wiped her tears away, started to look bitter "You lied, Mama. Papa didn't like it...." Kotina said, clenching the fireplace, she remembered that night, that night he tossed her gift into the fire. That night that her mother finally snapped, that night that she, a 5-year-old in that memory cried seeing her gift for her father burst into flames. That night that she never held a needle nor a craving tool again...

Then she felt dizzy, guess memories take a lot out of you mentally....

".....fix arm....fire next...." Kotina muttered to herself, wondering how she could fix her arm without damaging it further, then she remembered something "Uncle Dokar had dislocated his arm before but what did he do...?" She poked her forehead trying to remember....then ding, the memory came to her, as she grabbed a wooden plank, some of her father's old sheet, tore them apart with her free hand and teeth, and started making a splint, it was rather difficult process but she manage.

"And done...Next is ram my arm into the pole..." Kotina stopped herself, looking like a one-arm Otter penguin now "Now I think about it... Uncle Dokar was drunken dumbass....so probably not gonna do that." Kotina sighed, as she awkwardly moved around her former home, trying to find the flint and stone to make fire...but her body was weak, sore, hungry, and very cold...

Where did that old fool put the flint and stone?....tired....no don't sleep...not yet, Kotina thought, shaking herself up as she finally found it underneath the wine jug "Stupid old fool...." Kotina muttered, striking them together at first it was weak, no sparks, with little force, some sparks but nothing to light the damn fireplace "Work......DAMMIT!" Kotina snapped with one strong strike, sparks flew and Kotina quickly blew into the fire a few times as a light glow, then a weak but steady flame is upon the fireplace, slowly becoming stronger as the young girl started poking it and adding more wood to fuel the fire.

It wasn't long until the hut felt warm and cozy warming up the poor girl, as she used her father's blanket around her, her splint arm was awkward but she didn't care "Warmth.....uh-oh....I'm getting sleepy...I can't fall asleep here....father will kill me... Z" Kotina passed out while sitting criss-cross...

5 minutes...became 30 minutes....then 2 hours passed as evening day became night...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

To be continued......

________________

A/N: 
   Sora here, decide to publish the prologue into two parts since yeah, it is bloody long, like I'm in 10K words here, which is impressive even for me!

So here you go, PT 1, I edited to the best of my abilities using Grammarly and my high school knowledge of proper writing but even with that app and skill, I tend to go back to my habits that people often pointed out but I do hope you like a PT 1 of the cringy prologue, I even tried my best to describe everything including Hei-Ran from the book. 

And the reason why I'm doing this fanfic? the answer is simple: I love the book series, it great book series that explains Kyoshi's story and how she became known as the Avatar of Justice. Well, I think the last part was more of me calling her that LMAO.  

Random Fact: I almost turned this into Rangi X Kotina (my oc) but I'm like nah, I didn't like breaking part of Rangshi (Rangi x Kyoshi) at all, even my friend was like no, don't do that. So, I settled with my third favorite female, Kirima, she was pretty cool and went with the adoption trope for Kotina having Hei-Ran as her mother and Rangi as her sister. 

this story gonna be long, and probably a pain in the arse but I'm willing to write it out of enjoyment for The Rise of Kyoshi!

anyway, please vote and comment your thoughts! 

Sora sign off now~

1