Prologue – The Bored Remi
98 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remi Arclight is bored. Extremely bored. And that's not a good sign. You see, when this petite busty catgirl gets bored she tends to do some uncharacteristically crazy things...

As Archivia's Goddess of Energy, she not only oversees the flow and balance of energy and life, but also overturns its stagnation to prevent its decline. Though in this day and age where science and technology reign supreme, there seems to be no need for divine intervention.

Well, that's partially Remi's own fault. Who asked her to forcefully accelerate magic technology development with her divine powers?

But still, at least when things were active it was more exciting than just watching them advance without her doing anything. It's not like she wants people to die, or break things. Just something interesting would be nice!

"Ahhh... I'm bored." Remi yawned as she lay sprawled out on marble floor of the Nexus—the "top of the world tree" of Archivia. Except it's actually buried deep underground, and that's not a world tree but the central pillar of the now-decommissioned First Ark.

She twirled her deep purple hair brimming with mana, and her sapphire-blue eyes glistened like jewels. Her long tapering tail swished, the golden bell tied at the end remained silent.

"I wonder if there's any trouble stirring?" As a goddess, it's never good to say such things, even when jokingly. Especially when you're the Goddess of Energy whose half of your abilities are geared towards destruction.

Not the first time she's summoned random natural disasters, after all. The other goddesses especially Shinna Arclight, the Goddess of Space weren't pleased back then...

"...Are you thinking of destroying the world?" A mature female voice that contrasted Remi's bratty high pitch echoed from behind.

Remi turned around to see her superior— a tall mature catgirl in an elegant long dress who was standing nearby looking at her.

"Of course not! It's already been done once before." Remi cackled like a gremlin witch.

Shinna sighed and rolled her eyes. She had brown hair and turquoise eyes, though rather than sharp gems, they seemed dull like sea glass. The tip of her fluffy tail twitched, showing her annoyance.

Well, to be precise, it was the now deceased, former Time goddess Airin who orchestrated the previous world's destruction. No one missed that schizopreniac who unfortunately sat at the very peak of the hiearchy, practically untouchable.

Now that Shinna took over the vacated throne, and the next Time goddess has not been born yet, things settled down for a bit.

"Let's see, how about a plague..."

"No." Shinna said in a flat tone.

"A giant asteroid!"

"I will erase it with my portals."

"Massive earthquakes!"

Shinna put two fingers on her furrowed brow. She silently opened her palm to the floor below her feet, a tiny black hole appeared sucking up Remi into nothingness.

But Remi returned almost three seconds later. She self-destructed her previous vessel and *respawned*.

Although Remi is at the lowest of the Time-Space-Matter-Energy hierarchy, she is the only one with true immortality— possessing the ability to repair and reconstruct her vessel from nothingness over and over and over.

Maybe that's what made her crazy. Not Airin tier of utter insanity, mind broken by time loop shenanigans yet, but still...

"Hnnng~ That was refreshing!" Remi stretched out her limbs as she walked back. She's not really angry at Shinna. They are comrades through eternity; sometimes it's just fun to joke around. Airin's killed her at least three hundred times, almost everytime the former has an episode. Shinna only five, and adding this time, six.

And then an orange-haired pony-tailed catgirl skipped into the hall. She is Niru Arclight, the Goddess of Matter, in the form of an energetic teenager.

"Yaho~ I'm back!" The relatively normal Niru greeted the two and headed towards the control terminal. Not just holographic screens but actual panels mounted to the walls with physical keyboards.

The Nexus is not just a plain white room. It was the control center of the Arks, now repurposed to monitor the entire world from a single point.

Even the Goddesses use technology. Or rather, the Goddesses are the ones who bestowed such technology to humanity.

In the previous world, civilization had been more or less stagnant since the end of the Great War that reduced the planet's surface to a nuclear wasteland.

The goddesses at that time created the Arks. Seven disc-shaped cities with a radius of seventy-five kilometers. Only the First Ark, Lumina, remained in the new world though. The others were discarded into the void along with their inhabitants.

Airin sure was cruel.

But well, enough with the lore. Let's get into the main point.

"Niru, what's going on? Any cool stuff?"

"You see, my apostle found something fun from their trip to Terra." Niru tapped and swiped through the terminal's screen.

Remi's ears perked. "Hmm?"

"This program called uh... a novel-writing AI."

"Huh? AI as in 'artificial intelligence'?" Remi clicked her tongue out of disapproval, "and I thought we're already in the age of *natural* intelligence?"

It's no wonder Remi made such a response. Archivia's technology advancement was built upon biological constructs complete with sentience and consciousness, a feat that would make any Terran wince in disgust.

Instead of silicon transistors and copper wire circuits, they just made heavily genetically engineered abominations with actual neurons as computation units. On top of that, these vessels were designed to last for millennia. So yeah, you don't have to worry about running out of juice— although maintenance can be a bitch.

So how can mechanical AI beat biological "NI"? And what exactly did Niru find?

"Oh, it's just a way to generate artificial stories. Here, look!"

Niru showed off the software on the large screen. She scrolled through a bunch of story prompts and the results.

Remi was skeptical, while Shinna has already left. "Well... If I wanted stories, I could ask Arclight to give me one."

Beneath the Nexus lied Arclight, the largest and most powerful supercomputer in the universe. It's not made out of silicon transistors. It's not composed of living brain matter either. It's the crystallization of three billion souls. Three billion inhabitants of the previous, previous world, trapped and enslaved for an eternity.

Then, the final touch was applied when the original goddesses sacrificed themselves, infusing their souls into their creation.

Over the years, Arclight received upgrades that made it more and more powerful. Remi developed the Archive, namesake of Archivia, which made global information harvest possible.

Then, Airin, before she descended to complete insanity, bestowed the ability to backtrack in time, making it a database of the past from the very beginning of civilization on the planet.

Finally, Shinna and Niru cooperated to make Arclight be accessible from even millions of light years away, after the intergalactic expedition to the Sanctum galaxy returned with triumph and brought back the Valknians' art of quantum entanglement.

At this point, Arclight was a god-slash-goddess on its own, and the goddesses were more like its apostles, bearing the title of Arclight in their name.

Anyways, all that technical jargon doesn't mean jack shit to our godly overlords, really. And it probably doesn't mean much to you too. Just remember, it's big and it's powerful, and it's capable of everything you want it to do.

So, what's the main point here?

"And the stories, well, I've already seen everything. EVERYTHING. It's all the same shit, like, repeating the same events with different characters." Remi whined.

"But, you know, Arclight is too perfect, there's no mistakes. Indeed, you can ask it to tell you a story and it gives you one, but, wait, that reminds me of this thing that the Terrans were all so hyped up about," Niru searched and pulled up another webpage. It was about an instruction model AI with a prompt of a story and the result displayed.

"...Soulless automated novels..." Remi sneered, "you just show me more junk?"

"Well, I mean, isn't this like what Arclight generates? Except Arclight gives a more coherent plot and have much better prose than this experimental stuff the Terrans had, plus this thing is censored. Those puny Terrans pour more effort in cutting their own foot than advancing forward."

"...And?"

"So, you see, this novel-writing AI, it's specifically crafted for novel writing. You don't ask it to tell you a story. You write the beginning of your story, then you ask it to suggest you what to do next."

Niru smirked as if she just said something awesome. Remi looked at her blankly.

"....Okay? So?"

"It's an assistant. A co-writer that won't ever throw a fit. It might give you undesirable results, but you could always retry, or if the result is very close to what you want, you just edit it to your liking and move on."

"R-right..." Remi got a bit interested now.

"See, Arclight is this over-powerful tool. It's the 'easy mode'. You need to specify everything, even the smallest of details. And if it interprets your prompts wrongly, you get an unsatisfactory result or there's some changes neeed, you gotta reprompt. That's the same thing for the other stuff the Terrans had."

"Mhm..." Remi nodded.

"But this novel-writing AI, you only need to write the beginning, then you get a prompt of a story continuation. Then you select the one you want, you don't have to go through all of them and re-prompt, and even if you hate it all, you could just change the beginning. Isn't that just convenient?"

Indeed. When using such an AI, you are the pilot, and your role is to guide the story towards the direction you desire.

"Sounds interesting. I wanna try."

"Right," Niru handed over the terminal with the account already logged in. The highest tier subscription was active, so there won't be issues with performance and limits. Well, there's the image generation system, but Niru can't be fucked to explain that, and decided to keep silent.

"Hehehehe... What am I going to write..." Remi's eyes shined. She licked her lips as her hands typed as if possessed by the devil. She could use the neural interface, but physical keyboards have more *feel* to it.

As always, the first thing you do when you start to use something new is to Read The Fucking Manual. And Remi did, no matter how bratty she was. She learned about how the AI's context works, the lorebook, sampling settings, special symbols, modes, and more.

And then, she's ready to kick off her first story.

"Ahem. Let's see. The Goddess of Energy was bored, and then?" Remi murmured to herself.

She mulled over it for a while, then a gremlin grin appeared. She created a new Text Adventure scenario, and begun to type her first prompt.

And Niru decided that it's time for her to leave, for she was not going to see everything. She knew what's gonna happen. She knows Remi.

Because Remi wrote something that would get purged from almost anywhere on the Terran Internet. One that probably could only thrive in a relatively unregulated website with its abbreviation starting with letter A and has three Os. One that satisfies her carnal desires yet would not invite the wrath of her superiors.

Of course, you won't get to read such a tale, and Niru ain't going to introduce the little gremlin to said website hidden within the depths of Terran Internet. Whether Remi would find out by herself, we don't know, but for now, let's just say that Archivia is safe for the time being.

What misadventures would the purple-haired shortstack catgirl do with the novel-writing AI?

Sit tight, and find out!

1