Chapter 89: Equanimity
60 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Felix and KuliKuli hurried down the stairs, with the Nekomata adjusting the chain around the collar of her cloak. Just as the employee had warned them, the tavern had grown in popularity in the short time since they arrived, with a large group of men clapping hands and removing their helmets and gloves. One by one they all herded around a selection of tables, quickly filling in the occupancy of the place as a number of waitresses hurried over to service them. While scanning around, KuliKuli's ears perked up once she discovered their friend sitting alone at the bar counter. The motion of her ears standing upright caused them to pop from her hood, with Felix quickly tugging her hood lower to keep her cat ears hidden. 

Much to their relief, Reta hadn't run away but instead found herself a stool to sit upright, looking ahead. Yoku approached her after passing a glass to a nearby dwarf. "What will it be, miss?"

Reta gazed up at him with an empty glance, as if she were looking far away to a realm beyond his comprehension. He recognized that look from some of the other customers they've attended to in sorry times, the look of someone wanting a drink to forget their woes and loss. He reached to the row of bottles behind him, fumbling from one choice to the next. His fingers grasped around the neck of a large green bottle when Reta spoke up. 

"Sake." She muttered, looking him in the eyes. "I would like... some sake." 

"Sake?" He repeated with a lost look, turning his attention around to scan the many labels of alcohol they had in store. "That's not something I'm familiar with, I can look in the back-"

"Wine then, wine is fine." She mumbled, hanging her head in defeat once a glass of wine was passed to her. He left without offering any words of comfort, quickly occupied as one of the tables was shouting for their glasses of rum. Felix and KuliKuli walked up to her, carefully avoiding the elvish waitresses pacing back and forth with large canteens that would range from full to empty by the time they returned. The place was quickly growing with a smell of booze and the sound of hoarse laughter and belching, it was disgusting as KuliKuli timidly hopped onto the nearby stool beside her friend. She recoiled and made a face when she spotted the dwarf to her right gulping down his mug of rum greedily, observing small trickles of caramel fluid drip down the corner of his lips and drizzle across his fuzzy brown beard. 

Felix stood between the two with no free stool to sit by, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Something you want to talk about?"

"Felix!" KuliKuli huffed, glaring at him before taking Reta's hand. "We're really sorry for making you feel that your problem isn't important to us, Reta. You mean a lot to us, remember?"

"It's not that we mean to neglect you, we're really trying." Felix added with an apologetic face.

Reta grabbed her glass of wine and took a sip, feeling the sweet ruby liquid slide down her throat and licking her lips. While her friends waited in anticipation for her response, she sat quietly and said nothing. 

KuliKuli looked worried, scooting closer to face her friend. "Hey, did you need anything, is there something we can do for you?" 

"You said your curse has a limit before it turns permanent. But maybe the transformation wouldn't be so bad? You seemed in control the first time-"

"I attacked you and tried to claim you." She mentioned, reminded him of how they met. "After coming to meet Umeko and how she referred to you as Gaijin, I would think that would suffice for an impression as to how my people see outsiders."

Felix flinched and looked away. KuliKuli leaned in close and nodded. 

"But you don't see us like that-" She began to say before being cut short by Reta.

"Not anymore, but do recall that I was banished from my clan after being cursed. I was a Gaijin in their eyes, and when I transformed... my feral instincts took over." She paused and took another sip of her drink, enjoying the period of silence between them. "Do you know that every night I look up to the moon and stars knowing it would be a matter of time until it happens again? Where do I go to find a cure for this curse?"

"Your brother said you could pass it to another." He reminded her, noticing his cat girl glare angrily toward him. 

"Why would you mention that?" She growled, revealing her fangs in anger. "You know that's unfair to ask of her!"

Felix recoiled when Reta spoke up. "You are not wrong, but that only works when I transform. Biting someone now would leave nothing but a mark of my teeth in their skin."

"You're right, we do need to look around and see if we can discover something about your curse." Felix added with a determined look. "It isn't fair to neglect you, I should know better." 

"Me too." KuliKuli reached out to her. "But Reta, we're doing the best we can. So much is happening, but that's no excuse. Felix is right, since we're here we can look around to see what we can find."

"Then it's agreed, I'm sure if we ask around we can find something." Felix cheered up, finding Reta's expression remained the same as she finished her glass of wine. 

She snapped her fingers as an elvish waitress approached her. "Serve me what those men are having." She ordered, tapping her fingers against the counter until she was rewarded with a large mug of foaming ale. 

"Reta, did you hear? We can look around and-" 

"I heard and you have my gratitude." She said, gazing down at her beverage. "I understand. Just please, grant me a moment so that I may be alone in my thoughts."

KuliKuli looked up at Felix with a cautionary look, uncertain of what to do next. But he sighed and stood back, nodding as he motioned for her to come with him. "Okay Reta, we'll be back then. Just... yea."

Reta nodded back, calmly reaching for her mug and forcing the coarse fluid down before revolting in disgust. After her friends departed someone else sat beside her, hunching forward and leaning his arms over the counter. 

"You look like someone who's had an awful day." He said to her, speaking in a soft spoken mature voice. 

Reta looked away. "I chose this spot to be at peace with my own thoughts. Do not speak to me."

"Okay, okay, I apologize. I meant you no harm or offense by my actions."

"You and everyone else." She muttered, forcing another gulp of that disgusting foaming liquid. She stuck out her tongue and pushed the mug away, wondering how the others could ingest such a disgusting poison. This would be better suited as a form of punishment. 

"I'm not much of a drinker myself, just the purity of water is enough to quench my thirst. But once a month, I sit and enjoy myself with a glass of fine wine on nights like tonight. Only one glass to ease my nerves and soothe tension." The stranger said, raising a hand to get the attention of the waitress. "A glass of red wine, if you please. Thank you." 

Reta turned away, leaning on one arm as she traced her finger around the edge of her mug. 

"Those were friends of yours who let you down, weren't they?" He breathed in as the waitress placed down a glass of wine. Reaching out, he took one generous sip and gave out a satisfied sigh. "The hardest of betrayals come not from our enemies but our closest friends."

"I wouldn't call it a betrayal." She grumbled back, "You are one to pry into someone else's worries."

"I do not pry into one's business child, it is the people who seek me for aid and guidance." She turned to acknowledge him and was taken aback. Initially expecting another gross man in a filthy tunic or a breast plate with a stubble and a stench of body odor, she was caught by surprise by a different sight. This man was clean and dressed in a long white robe, with a necklace draped around his neck. The chain in the necklace looked old and worn, Reta noticed a hint of metal hiding below his collar beneath the robe. He had on a white hat which he promptly removed, setting it aside when a lanky man ran to his side to retrieve it and stow it away. Now with his hands together and his fingers interlocked, he settled back while offering a friendly face to her, the crease around his aged eyes expanding as his wrinkled forehead shifted upward in a look of amusement. 

"Though I must say, I do not recall to ever be graced by such a peculiar appearance such as yourself. Thy hair fits a rather exquisite color, may I ask if its natural?" 

Reta blinked before looking back to the drink in her hand. "It's natural."

"Ahhh, most interesting." The older man hummed in silence before leaning into the counter. "I was right to suggest that it was your friends who let you down, was I not? In all my years of helping others find their way through, the most common and simplest of betrayals I have witnessed is a broken promise. They promised something to you and they have failed to fulfil said promise, yes?"

"Perhaps." Reta closed her eyes and grimaced through another sip. She coughed and stuck out her tongue. "Blegh!"

The old mean raised his hand, looking to the workers once more. "Waitress, another glass of red wine for my friend here."

"I'm fine." She hissed back.

"Oh, I find that unlikely. Do not fret, when a stranger offers to help it would be foolish not to accept it. Besides, where is the harm in sharing a glass?" He smiled as another glass of wine was poured, before he himself slid the glass to her. "Take a sip to soothe any troubles that woo your youthful mind. A woman of your beauty and age should not be met with stress and troubles, now come. Tell your father what he may help with, I lend naught but thy ear to listen to what rattles your mind."

She frowned and downed her glass of wine in one swift gulp before wiping her mouth. "My first father was less than helpful, I struggle to believe a second one would prove more useful."

"I ask only that ye give me one chance. We are but strangers after all, what harm may befall thee in the end?" He chuckled while taking another sip, licking his lips. "Ahh, not as sweet as the wine back home but just as fruity as wine should be. Now come, I am here. My service is here, my help is free. I ask only but a moment of your time and grace." 

Reta exhaled and looked around the tavern, noticing the other men cheering and downing mugs and sharing all sorts of banter and insults amongst each other. Looking at the stairs then back to the front door, she sat in silence pondering her actions. 

"Do you have somewhere you need to be?" He asked, only for her to shake her head. "Then I ask again, what harm may come of this?"

Reta stayed silent, her lip twitching as the offer remained hanging over her head. Her eyes darted to the old man, this stranger who seemed interested in helping her out of charity. To share her troubles and talk, just talk, was a foreign concept to her. There was no talk where she was from, only actions. Stress and discomfort was dealt with training and meditation. But KuliKuli was especially keen on talk, it agonized her with annoyance each time because it would lead to Reta recalling uncomfortable memories. 

Still, the offer was there and she found herself wanting to be alone only to be met by this friendly old man. She gave him another look as he was preoccupied with that lanky man whispering into his ear about something, only to notice Janette and a woman dressed in a black cloak walk down the stairs and slip out through the tavern entrance. 


"Lamp oil! Rope, bombs? You want it, it's yours my friend! As long as you have enough rubies." The salesman said, the tips of his brown mustache curling up toward his nose as he flashed a toothy smile. 

Syri tugged at her hood to keep herself hidden, hiding behind Janette for safety. Janette held her paw and flashed a subtle grin before looking back at the seller. "Just searching for a few pounds of beef and some trout."

"Ah, that would be the meat shop. Go see the barren butcher just around the corner, he'll have just the red meats you're looking for." He clasped his hands together and bid them farewell, waving them aside before shifting his sights onto another customer. 

Janette and Syri shuffled around through the cramped shop, sliding between loaded barrels full of little leather pouches and what looked like clear marbles. 

"I thought you knew where to go?" Syri asked, clutching Janette's arm and keeping up with her as the pair hurried down the sidewalk. She braced herself as the two would brush and push past numerous other bodies varying from large to small. Her cat eyes were frantically looking from one new face to another. She found a humanoid man with scaly lime green skin and purple stripes across his cheeks listening to a salesman offering their best pitch at what looked like a trinket shop across the road. A trio of kids ran past them, giggling and fleeing between pedestrians as another man yelled out for them to stop. Janette bumped into a hunched figure who turned around, looking at them with her orange eyes under a shrouded dark face through her brown cloak while Janette apologized and pulled Syri to hurry away. 

"I know the city but it's a big city. I don't usually shop from here." She explained, finding resistance as the Nekomata stopped in her steps and yanked her back. "What?" 

Syri stayed silent, her nose wrinkling as she closed her eyes and sniffed the air. When her green eyes opened up, her stomach grumbled loudly and she looked up at her with wide eyes and an embarrassed face. Janette snickered and clasped her hand over her mouth, giggling on the spot. 

"Someone's hungry hehehehe!" 

Syri pouted and crossed her arms. "It's dark out and we haven't had any food since morning. Besides, all I smell around here is sweat, musk, oil and meats! That doesn't help."

"Like a weird combination that leaves your tummy confused."

"Profoundly, I'm struggling between gagging and licking my lips. You can't tell but look!" She opened her mouth, revealing the amount of salivating between her sharp teeth. "See? Hungry!"

"The struggles of being a cute feline." Janette teased, looking around before spotting something. "You see that, on the top of that building?"

"Candles?" She mewed.

"Nope, lanterns! Paper lanterns on the balcony, and plenty of umbrellas for shade. That sign on the bottom reads that it's a restaurant." She paused, stroking her chin. "And come to think of it, we would need a lot of salt to keep the meat fresh on the road back. There's no harm in getting a bite to eat." 

Syri lit up when a worrying thought crossed her mind. "Oh, but shouldn't we get meats for Mom and my sisters too? They would be hungry..."

"We can bring some food for them on the way back."

Her head dropped down slightly. "Oh, but..."

"What?"

"Nothing, just... don't laugh." 

Janette blinked. "I won't."

"I'm use to hunting for food and eating with Mom and the others. This would be my first time eating without them." Her eyes looked up as her smile returned. "Mew, she did say one day we would need to eat on our own as grown ups! Nyah!"

Janette gave her a cheeky smile. "You mean to tell me you've never been on your own? You're coming off as a Momma's girl."

"But I am Mommy's girl?" She blinked with a puzzled expression.

"You are not helping yourself silly." She reached out and held Syri's paw. "Come on, let's just enjoy this for a short time. It won't be for long, would you rather we wait longer? That tummy didn't seem to like that idea." 

Syri giggled as a red blush formed across her cute face. "Well, no. Is this a... hmm."

"A what?" She asked. 

"Nevermind." Syri giggled, shaking her face left and ride in glee. 

"Okay then, control yourself missy." Janette chuckled, holding her paw tight. "Come on, just a short bite to eat. No harm from that, right?" 

Syri smiled and nodded, following behind her as they crossed the road and blended in with the dense crowd of civilians. As they slipped through the restaurant entrance, a familiar figure crossed the road behind them. He pulled his dark hood back and adjusted his white hair, fidgeting with his belt before following after them. 

2