Chapter 4- The Origin of Good
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nan Bei’s Perspective

Sweat ran down Nan Bei’s tanned back as he rapidly controlled a river of gold flecked crystal clear water to rush through the air of the training courtyard he was in. Concentrating harder the river moved faster as his golden amber eyes flashed in the dawning light. In an almost trance like state he continued to speed up the river as his Dao energy fluctuated wildly. Finally with a rush the river sped up once more and then smoothed out thrumming through the air like a mighty leviathan.

“Haha! Good! Great! Excellent!” An elderly voice laughed happily behind him. “You’ve truly brought a new luster to the name of our Golden River Sect”

“Grandfather!” Nan Bei hurriedly bowed to the energetic older man who had just entered through the gateway. Though Nan Bei rarely bowed the man who looked to be in his early 50s was more than a thousand as well as being Nan Bei’s only living relative.

“You’ve broken through to the Third Circle realm a month ago and now you’ve reached level 6 Golden Water intent. As well as comprehending that…” His grandfather trailed off as admiration and worry flitted through his eyes. “Point is it’s time for you to make contributions. As Vice Sect Master I can’t protect you from this war with the Adamantine Path any longer.

Nan Bei frowned as the 40 foot golden river streamed into a gold gourd attached to the black belt around the waist of his soft white Gi. “I never asked you to protect me.”

His grandfather waved his hand dismissively as he started venting about the state of affairs as the Adamantine Path made more and more advances towards their land. Their mines in particular. Recognizing that his grandfather merely wanted to relieve his pent up emotions Nan Bei listened calmly for several minutes before cutting through to ask a pointed question. “So how have you arranged for me to make contributions.” Upon hearing this his grandfather became the Vice-Master in an instant.

“Special ops. The Dried River group lost their leader in their previous mission but have already been given a mission to move against the small army led by General Forge.” The Vice-Master briefed Nan Bei sternly. Nan Bei listened calmly.

“General Forge was leading a small army along the southern edge of the Middle Ring to the far South East of here. However he left the frontline a few hours ago in the middle of the night. This is an opportunity for massive contributions.” The Vice-Master paused before looking questioningly at Nan Bei. “I know your situation. Will this mission affect your cultivation of that?

Nan Bei shook his head before simply denying it. “It’s unlikely to.”

“Good.” His grandfather looked at him for a moment before informing him. “There are only 4 members in the special ops group but you’ll be heading a group of soldiers. The mission is destroy all evil and escape with minimized casualties.”

Nan Bei nodded as he moved towards the door leaving his grandfather standing in the middle of the courtyard. His grandfather watched him go with his lips pursed. Often times the Man chooses their Dao. Most times even. But sometimes a Dao chose and shaped a man. Perhaps into something great. His grandfather sighed as he followed Nan Bei into the Main Sect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the two walked through they garnered a lot of attention from the many blue and gold robed disciples and elders moving around the sect. The sect was placed on a flat peaked mountain that had been carved to essentially be three giant platforms. Each circular platform having a dozen massive gold inlaid stairs and 99 waterfalls filled with specs of gold connecting them. The higher up the mountain the higher the gold content. Those not in the know often speculated that before the Illustrious first sect master enlightened upon the Fusion Dao of Golden Water nearly ten thousand years ago the mountain was originally a volcano with golden magma.

There were three stages to the circular sect. A large border of buildings on the artificially solidified marsh land closest to the small mountain. This was the outer sect. The ring of buildings was simplistic but still architecturally refined. The buildings on the first platform were naturally much more refined with the inner buildings for the top elites of the Inner Sect inlaid with gold and lapis lazuli gemstones. The final ring of buildings were truly extravagant. Like Nan Bei’s building they were made of solid gold and had pools of golden water handily lying around for use and study.

This was Nan Bei’s home and a place only Core Disciples and the higher up elders of the clan could enter. Of course if you looked up you would see the misty peak covered in formations for stopping trapping and killing intruders. This place was only accessible by 5 people. The sect master and the Vice Sect Master and the Three Elders. All Five were Peak Dao Lords. They would all be true experts even in the Inner Ring much less the Middle Ring where they stood atop the masses.

Of course their strength and the seemingly endless amount of gold that they were able to produce led to a lot of groups watching them from the shadows. The Adamantine Path, that had forgone the orthodox Dao energy cultivation method of the masses, Instead had methods to infuse large amounts of refined spiritual metals into their bodies giving massive physical strength and durability. Of course this method used a massive amount of resources and could go wrong very quickly but the strength it rapidly brought was very real. The Adamantine Emperor and his forces had just a few years prior obtained the manpower and strength to start a war against the Golden River Sect in a bid to obtain all the gold and other riches they had amassed over the almost ten thousand years of their existence.

Nan Bei finally pulled from his thoughts as they approached a large building on the north side of the Inner Sect. Having walked from the South side where his residence was an enormous amount of people had already seen them come this way. Walking into the expansive hall Nan Bei calmly looked around at the large amount of sculptures. His golden amber eyes glinting at the fine detail of the statues carved to look like people and mountains and beasts of all shapes and sizes. The stunning accuracy and detail always startled him. “Second Elder!” Barked the Vice Sect Master.

“Yes?” came a deep smooth voice to their right from atop a 13 foot tall wolf. “No! Before you say anything” A middle aged looking man with long golden hair tied up in a ponytail casually interrupted the Vice Sect Master as he walked over to stand on the wolves head. “BeiBei do you know what this wolf is?”

Nan Bei glanced awkwardly at his grandfather before shaking his head no. “I do not great elder.”

“I thought not. This is a sculpture of a specific type of wolf you might come to fear greatly in your future. A Bloodlust Silver Wolf. Once they get the scent of a powerful bloodline like yours the entire pack will hunt you down to the last one. A calamity to be sure.”

Nan Bei calmly absorbed the lesson and tried to quickly memorize the features of the wolf.

“They’re in the back,” The Second Great Elder nodded dismissively at the Vice Sect Master. Nodding the Vice Sect Master pursed his lips as he led Nan Bei through the statues. “Why does he dislike you?” Nan Bei asked not expecting answer but still curious.

“I suppose for the same reason he can’t help but smile when he sees you.” The Vice Sect Master as surprise swept across Xu’s face. “I was in a romantic relationship with his daughter around a hundred years ago when I was just a few years older than you. She fell in a battle she was more than strong enough to survive due to bad luck. Perhaps she was careless or perhaps we, her allies, weren’t careful enough.”

The Vice Sect Master paused as they reached a large Stone door behind a giant statue of a snake. “When she died his wife moved on to the Inner Ring but he stayed as a Great Elder permanently.”

“He hated me until my wife died merely 5 years after giving birth to your father. When your father came back from his travels through the inner ring half dead and carrying his child it was like the Second Great Elder saw life again. Perhaps he sees you as family.”

Nan Bei nodded quietly his eyes slipping towards the door. “Right.” The Vice Sect Master said awkwardly. “We’ve kept them waiting long enough.”

The Vice Sect Master then pushed open the door revealing 4 figures dressed in navy blue uniforms. Gesturing at the four the Vice Sect Master stated grandly. “These will be your teammates for the operation”

1