Prologue – The deal
496 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Koiji Inoueu, I have an offer for you."

Those words woke me up from my sleep, yet I was not in my bedroom, but in a pure white space. In front of me floated a petite woman with short white hair, a straight waist, and long legs. Her face was sharp and angular, but her eyes were kind and warm. She wore a white tunic that is often seen in mediaeval films. From her back, two fluffy wings spanning almost 2 metres wide were flapping gently, emanating a soft and peaceful aura.

"Koiji, are you awake?"

Her smooth and gentle voice brought me back to my situation. 

"Ah...yes. I am Koiji."

Not really understanding the situation, I simply introduced myself.

"Pft... Good to meet you, Koiji. I am Arianna.  I have an offer for you. Will you hear me out?"

"Yes. I'll hear you out."

It never hurts to hear what another being has to say.

"I am glad." 

She donned a bright smile before continuing. 

"You see, there is another world where an alternate Koiji Inoueu resides. He is living a miserable life and having a hard time. He prayed and prayed for someone to help him. I pity him so much that I wanted to ask you to switch places with him."

"Huh? Why would I do that? I would rather not live miserably."

I retorted in reflex. It's one of my bad habits. If someone offers me something unreasonable, I often retort in a rude way, this lost me some friends in high school.

"Ah, please let me finish."

Arianna's gentle smile made me embarrassed about my words.

"Uhm... Sorry to interrupt. Please continue."

"It's fine, I understand this is not a normal situation."

She flapped her wings and floated closer, finally reaching the ground just before me. Face to face with the angle, I was surprised at her almost normal face. If angels were real, I would have expected them to have otherworldly beauty. Yet, Arianna would not stand out during a night out. Maybe satisfied with my reaction or rather non-reaction, she took a step back and started explaining.

"In this alternate world, there exists magic! However, those born as male don't possess much in terms of...uhm... mana! That way, you can understand. Now, what do you think that means."

"Uhm... I guess females would have superior mana in terms of superior power?"

"Correct! However, this isn't really an issue for most men as they get a number of benefits to help their life. Also, it's not like they have no mana, so they can use the everyday items that require it."

While she was explaining this, she was fluttering about. Either she was bored of explaining it, or this was some kind of angel thing.

"Now! You might be wondering why Koiji is having such a hard time! That is because he is hopeless with women. Especially the big bosomed ones!"

"Eh?! What do you mean?"

Was that enough of a problem to live miserably? I had friends who were not good at interacting with women. However, spending time with women in friend groups, they got better. They were still shy if left alone, but not miserable. Maybe this Koiji has a phobia?

"It is surprising, isn't it... especially considering your disposition during high school."

She gave a knowing, mischievous look.

"Please don't bring up my dark past... I am no longer that way."

"Ohoho! It's alright, it's only us here... Mr. Three-timer."

I squatted down and put my hands on my ears.

"No, no, no! Please stop. It's true that I messed around with multiple girls during high school, but that was a mistake. In the end, they forgave me! I was at fault, of course, but that's the past, isn't it?"

I pleaded my case towards Arianna strongly. I felt the need to confess my sin towards her, so it just came pouring out.

"Ah, it's alright Koiji, sorry for teasing you. There, there."

With a panicked voice, she quickly floated to me and patted my head. I instantly calmed down, feeling a peaceful aura around me and looked up at her now calm.

"I shall continue."

"Yes, please."

"Where was I? Ah, yes, the alternate Koiji's problem with women. You see, his life is rather comfortable. He has a beautiful and loving mother, a bright and cute older sister, yet he spends most of his time in a men only gym as he only feels at peace there. Whenever a woman he likes the appearance of tries to talk to him, he just turns bright red and runs away. So he prayed and prayed to have a quiet life without any women."

Eh?! This doesn't make much sense. Even if you have women phobia, in the modern world, it's almost too easy not to meet anyone. You can get delivery for almost anything, she even said there is a men only gym.

"I can see you have a hard time believing. Well, compared to your world, in the alternate one, men have a duty to encourage groups of women after they turn 16. Yet... he fell behind his duty and is close to dropping out of college. It's one of the pillars of the country he lives in. This is due to the various benefits that men get while the women have to work dangerous jobs due to having more mana."

Ah! I see. So, women have to work more while men get more benefits. I can see the logic of the encouragement. Even the military often arranges performances, although it's not limited by gender. It also sounds like all men have to do it. With his disposition, I can see why he is having a hard time.

"I see you understand his issue now. So! Back to my offer, would you switch places with him?"

"Why?"

I looked at her perplexed. She looked back at me, surprised, so I continued.

"I do feel sorry for him to some extent, but I am not a saint. Why would I leave my life behind in exchange for nothing?"

This is nowhere near an equivalent exchange. I would lose my friends, the progress I made in my life, not to mention my future which I worked hard for. The countless sleepless nights studying maths and engineering.

"Uhm... AH! I mentioned mana and magic, right? Don't you want to experience what it's like? Casting magic like *boo* and *phacha*!"

"Well, that does sound intriguing, although your sound effects suck, but you said Koiji has low mana."

"That can be fixed! I can give you more mana than most women have, and also, I'll give you hyper mana regeneration so you can cast magic to your heart's content!"

Hmm... that does sound kind of fun...

"Is there anything else? I don't want to sound greedy, but it's still not really comparable to losing my current life."

Arianna looked troubled. It seems like she didn't think I wouldn't accept it. Well, to be honest, I thought I was having a delusion or a weird dream so just wanted to see how far I can push her.

"Right... How about this? In the alternate world, if you feel like you won't have to work a day in your life. Koiji's family is well off, not ultra rich, but enough that for 2 generations no one needs to work and they could still live a comfortable life. Also there are various new vistas and places you could visit. Due to magic, there are new phenomena that happen that you could never see in your world. Numerous animals also evolved in different ways compared to your world."

Hmm... that does sound interesting. There was a game I liked that showcased various otherworldly places that I always wished I could see with my own eye. Why am I not dreaming of that instead of this conversation, with a not-otherworldly-beauty?

"Also..."

Arianna had another mischievous smile on her face... somehow, I have a bad feeling.

"Polygamy and even bigamy is accepted and practised in the alternate world. Usually, men have at least 5 wives, and 7 is not out of place either."

"No! Why bring this up?!"

Wait, is this the purpose of the dream? Torment me about my dark womanising past? I thought I had already come to terms with it?!

"So, what do you think? Will you accept my offer and live a comfortable life, surrounded by 5 or even 7 beautiful women, maybe even travelling the world?"

She was suddenly behind me, and whispering in my ear, I felt her breath on my skin as she spoke. My heart raced with excitement and fear as I considered her proposal.

"Wait? Why am I hesitating... this is a dream. Ah, yes, Arianna, I accept."

With this, the dream should end, I either wake up or maybe even have another dream of the naughty variety.

"Oh! Really? No take backs!"

"Yes, I understand."

"Yay! Yay! Yay!"

She flapped her wings and floated about happily. While it was rather cute... I was waiting for this dream to end. I have a morning class tomorrow so I wanted to wake up earlier than usual.

"Right! Take my hand, I'll start the process."

"OK. Don't forget about the mana stuff!"

I had a feeling she would forget... although it's not that it would matter.

"Of course I won't forget! Muu..."

Pouting, she held out her hand, now floating just before me, I reached out and grabbed it.

With a happy and bright smile, she looked at me and said...

"Thank you. I wish you happiness in your alternate life, Koiji."

15