Marineth
89 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The city of Helhg experienced a monster invasion this morning. There are currently over five thousand casualties, and the count is still climbing," a voice announced through the radio. A hand extended to crank up the volume.

"Four five-star Holders, along with one six-star Holder, were deployed to stabilize the situation…"

"Another monster invasion," Dante muttered, his foot pressing the gas pedal while he gripped the steering wheel. This marked the second such invasion he'd heard of since acquiring the system. In his former self, he might have rushed to the scene, but now his heart remained composed and indifferent.

'Yet I hesitated…' Dante reflected, recalling his moment of indecision during his last encounter with George.

He still wore the familiar white suit and mask, but now there was an addition—a bronze medallion hung around his neck. Engraved on it were two stars, their overlapping design giving it an ancient appearance. This was the Medal of Two Stars, granting numerous benefits and conferring a significant status. However, its most crucial privilege was the eligibility to participate in conquering D class dungeons and higher.

Dante summoned his status screen.

STATUS SCREEN:

Player: Dante (Human)

Health: 130/130

Energy: 130/130

Level: 20 (1050/*****)

Stat Points: 2

Skills: 

Concentration(+50%)

Invigorate(+50%)

 

Attributes:

Strength: 9

Defence: 2

Vitality: 3

Endurance: 3

Agility: 7

Intelligence: 1

Having completed the side quest, Dante acquired two stat points: one as a direct reward and the 20,000 experience points that propelled him to a new level. Surprisingly, his tactic of knocking Instructor Lou off the platform proved successful—a method tantamount to defeating him.

"System, are my stats sufficient for the main quest?" Dante inquired, a hint of uncertainty clouding his approach to allocating his hard-earned stat points. His decisions thus far lacked a clear sense of direction.

"No," the system's voice replied dispassionately.

"As I suspected. Do you have any recommendations on how I should distribute my stat points?" Dante queried.

"It is advisable to maintain a balanced distribution, though the specifics should align with your individual fighting style," the system advised.

Dante pondered this counsel. He had already contemplated the benefits of balanced stats, recognizing that each level-up brought about a comprehensive improvement in his physical abilities. However, up to this point, he had allocated his stat points reactively, based on immediate circumstances.

Considering the potential impact of mind attacks, Dante chose to allocate one stat point to Intelligence and the remaining one to Defense.

A fresh surge of energy coursed through his body, affecting even the tiniest atoms within him. Dante sensed his body and mind growing more stronger. The exhilarating effects of becoming stronger proved irresistible.

"I must conquer a D-class dungeon." Dante resolved, recognizing the necessity of further leveling up. Access to D-class dungeons was granted to all Holders with two stars or more, because they need to be close immediately. Dante would join other Holder groups in this journey, but conquering a D-class dungeon was a far more intricate task compared to an F-class one. Some dungeons featured enigmatic puzzles or labyrinthine mazes, while others presented challenges that defied comprehension.

With a destination already in mind and only a few kilometers left to reach it, Dante chose to go on without affording himself a proper rest. With his present physical condition, he knew he could restore himself to his peak with just an hour of rest.

***

"My Son!" The shout reverberated through the opulent hall. Crystal chandeliers bathed the marble floors in a warm, golden glow, while regal velvet draperies framed tall windows, welcoming the afternoon sun's radiant embrace. Plush chaises invited guests to recline in luxurious comfort, and a grand piano stood poised for a melodious serenade. This was opulence incarnate.

However, this serene scene was abruptly shattered by a resounding shout and a palpable tension in the air.

In the heart of the hall stood a middle-aged woman, her hand clutching a phone. Every inch of her attire exuded extravagance. Her hair bore the marks of time, and wrinkles traced her face. Yet, contrary to her appearance, her eyes burned with a fierce combination of vitality and anger.

Behind her, a person in a butler's attire stood, his left hand raised, holding a white towel.

"His name is Eka, a newly emerged Holder," a voice echoed from the phone.

"How dare he hurt my son?!" Marineth's voice thundered with fury. As she thought of her son, now left with only one hand, her heart ached, recalling that he had also suffered in his last dungeon.

"What else do you know about him?" Marineth inquired, her efforts to calm herself palpable.

"W-we were just beginning to look into his background, but at the moment, he's inside a D-class dungeon. He went there directly after receiving his medal."

"Damn it! That's the perfect opportunity to finish him off!" Marineth cursed, expressing her intent without a hint of hesitation.

"Ensure you gather every detail about him!" Marineth commanded, her tone brimming with anger as she abruptly terminated the phone call.

The butler stepped forward, extending his hand to take the phone from Marineth.

"Do you want me to arrange for someone to take care of him once he emerges from the dungeon?" the butler inquired.

"Let's wait for my son to regain consciousness. I understand him well; he will love it at the sight of the person who harmed him meeting a gruesome end," Marineth declared after careful consideration.

"And what about your husband? Would you like to involve him?" the butler inquired further.

"No! Let him be. He's occupied with other women; he won't give a damn about his son," Marineth spat out, her teeth clenched in frustration as she thought about her unfaithful husband.

***

An hour before the phone call inside the Heidil mansion.

Dante reached his destination. On the way, Manny called to inquire about how his examination had gone. After a brief exchange, they hung up. Recalling their conversation, Dante couldn't help but smile in quiet amusement.

"By the way, how many members does the guild have?"

"Uh, j-just t-three, the guild master, you, and me," Manny replied, looking slightly embarrassed.

Dante wasn't sure whether to laugh or sigh.

In front of the dungeon portal, a line of opulent cars had already formed. This location turned out to be a clothing factory.

As people observed, their attention shifted to a modest-looking car parked beside a luxury vehicle. When Dante emerged, all eyes were drawn to him. Some even whistled at the sight of his mask and outfit.

A group of four individuals and one other Holder, likely arriving independently, caught his eye.

The group hailed from the mid-sized guild known as the Golden Lion Guild, comprising one woman and three men, all donning their guild-provided uniforms.

They were the owners of the high-end cars. One of them recognized Dante's distinctive attire.

"Hey, are you on your own? Want to team up with us?" he asked, wearing a friendly smile. He was the group's leader, Dex.

"No." Dante replied curtly, striding past Dex and heading directly to a table where an attendant sat. He completed the necessary paperwork and handed over his medal to register for the dungeon.

2