Fighting the Soldier Devil
82 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence.

After a while, a coughing sound echoed.

Dante stood up, brushing off falling debris.

"I take back what I said." Dante muttered, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. His lips were stained with blood, a clear sign of the impact he'd taken. The suit's cleaning feature took care of it, the blood vanishing effortlessly.

Just as he was about to mention how relatively easy it had been to find the gem, aside from the traps, he was abruptly sent hurtling through the air.

Dante quickly identified the source—an imposing statue, nearly three meters tall, its sculpted muscles defined, wings gracing its back, and a goat-like horn adorning its forehead.

Then, a translucent screen materialized before him.

"Acquisition trial: Commencing!"

"Defeat the Soldier Devil (Statue).

Rewards: 100,000 Experience points, Support Skill."

"Alternative: Escape the Soldier Devil (Statue).

Rewards: 50,000 Experience points, 3 Stat Points.

Time Limit: 2 Hours."

Dante couldn't help but feel frustrated at the timing of the system's intervention. Why did it require him to be hit first before issuing the quest? He didn't dwell on this thought for long. Instead, he swiftly drew his sword.

Rumble!

A low, ominous rumble filled the chamber as Dante readied himself. His gaze darted to the wall behind the female statue in the middle. The walls quaked and then abruptly split down the middle, revealing a tunnel beyond.

'That must be the exit,' Dante thought. He faced a crucial decision: confront the formidable Soldier Devil or opt for escape. The rewards for taking on the Soldier Devil were tempting, even surpassing his main quest, suggesting this will be a formidable challenge. The earlier hit had reminded him not to underestimate this opponent.

The Soldier Devil remained immobile, akin to its stony companions. Yet, Dante noticed their faces now directed at him. The air practically pulsed with bloodlust, the atmosphere more charged than before, the intensity palpable.

Activating his Skill, Concentration, Dante raised his sword and stepped forward.

But...

A massive stone fist materialized before him!

Dante's eyes widened, and he swiftly raised his sword!

Bang!

An explosive collision erupted between Dante and the Soldier Devil. He staggered back, barely managing to defend himself against the punch, the impact resonating through his body. Sparks flew, and cracks spiderwebbed across his sword. His hands tingled, the sensation creeping into numbness.

He clenched his teeth.

Crack!

The sword shattered!

Bang!

Dante was struck in the chest, hurtling him to the ground. He tumbled several times before finally halting.

W-what the..." Dante could feel another rush of blood in his throat.

The soldier devil remained motionless, just as before.

Cough!

Dante checked his health.

60/145

He knew he had to navigate this fight with care. With Concentration active, he immediately discerned that the statue didn't budge while he was down. But there was also the possibility that it would strike if he took a step.

Dante focused his thoughts. When he rose to his feet, he confirmed that the statue held its position, only moving if he did.

He retrieved a shield and sword from his inventory, mindful of his limited weaponry.

The Concentration Skill was nearing its cooldown.

Dante took a moment to recover and let his body's heightened healing factor work its magic. Thanks to the level-up, his body had undergone a significant transformation, allowing him to mend faster. His health climbed to 70/145.

As the Concentration Skill entered its cooldown phase, Dante's awareness of its limitation became evident. He crouched, shield on his left and sword on his right, preparing for the next move.

With precision, he activated his Skill and lunged forward!

Bang!

The shield collided with the stone fist of the statue. Dante was resolved to defeat this formidable opponent, enticed by the promise of acquiring a valuable Support Skill. While his other abilities were potent, he recognized the need to reach even greater heights.

Dante clenched his teeth, channeling every ounce of strength into his limbs.

"I need to be faster." he urged himself, acutely aware of the statue's unrelenting assault.

As the force emanating from the statue surged, Dante felt the shield inching dangerously close to his face. He swiftly plotted his escape from this perilous stalemate, abruptly springing backward.

Mid-air, he brought down his sword with tremendous force, the impact resonating through the dome-like chamber as the statue appeared in front of him.

A resounding crack echoed as Dante's blade connected with the statue's chest!

Despite the visible fissure, only a shallow cut marked the soldier devil's stony form.

In a swift recovery, Dante raised his shield, bracing for the retaliatory blow.

The statue's fist hit his shield! 

The impact propelled him backward.

Then the statue seemed to blur, reappearing before him like a phantom.

Dante swiftly took out a mace from his inventory, delivering a powerful strike to the statue's face. The head tilted, shards scattering, and cracks marred its once pristine features!

'Got it!' as a sense of triumph surged within him, Dante recognized the pivotal role his choice of weapon played in this battle. Just as he celebrated, a rush of air hinted at a kick incoming from his right.

Swiftly, Dante ducked and rolled to the side, wielding his mace in a counterattack. The statue blocked it using its hand, though Dante's strike succeeded in chipping away at its stony form.

With a resounding thud, another kick from the statue hit Dante and hurtling through the air. Regaining his composure mid-air, Dante approached the ground with the soldier devil standing ready. Seizing the opportunity provided by gravity, Dante swung down with his mace, prompting the statue to retaliate with a powerful punch!

In a synchronized exchange of blows, Dante's mace met the statue's forceful punch.

BANG!

CRASH!

Dante managed to crash the hand! 

But the mace also scattered into fragments while the soldier devil's second hand struck, sending Dante hurtling towards the central female statue. With a deafening crash, the statue collapsed in a shower of rocks, inflicting intense pain upon Dante, leaving him dizzy and disoriented.

Fortunately, he managed to hoist his shield, minimizing the damage.

"Now, I have to wait for the Skill to finish its cooldown." Dante muttered to himself, while initiating his Invigorate Skill on himself. The Invigorate Skill also acted as a powerful stimulant, offering relief from pain. However, Dante was acutely aware of the strain it could impose on his body if used excessively, especially in the midst of continuous damage. Having realized that the statue only responded to his forward movements, Dante saw an opportunity to take a breather, allowing for the cooldown period while he strategized for the next move. Yet, he remained mindful of the two-hour time limit imposed by the quest.

Dante rose to his feet, brandishing his final mace with determination in his grip. He swiftly swapped out his shield, knowing the risks of changing equipment mid-battle.

With a deep breath, he triggered his Skill once more. He took a step and as anticipated, the statue swiftly loomed before him, prompting Dante to strike with his mace.

The ensuing clash reverberated through the chamber, the resounding impact of mace against stone hand and shield leaving a visible dent.

3