Stay
5 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thursday evening came around quickly; it was raining heavily outside, while refreshing, the bitter cold wind forced us to have a circle inside.

I was in Leo’s house helping rearrange the furniture in the living room. It was spacious once the sofas were pushed to the walls and the coffee table was moved to the kitchen.

I brought garden twine to outline a circle so as not to ruin the carpet.

 

“There,” Leo said, setting down the rolled-up rug in the kitchen.

Glancing at the clock, it was a few minutes past six. I settled down on the large sofa pushed against the wall, looking out the bay window to the front of the house.

“Do you think Lathen will come?” Leo asked, passing me a cup of tea.

I chewed my lip in thought. Lathen wasn’t wholly hostile towards Leo. After meeting at the bar, Leo’s charm opened up a friendly Lathen. He was slowly getting back to his old self around me after the rites... I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing. I felt on guard around him after the argument.

“I have no idea,” I said honestly, “He won’t be doing himself any favours if he doesn’t accept us.”

Taking a sip from the mug, I folded my legs under me and shifted closer to Leo, facing him with a perfect view of the porch, and we settled into a comfortable silence while waiting.


Hearing the car doors shut, I peered out of the windows—half past, right on time. Four people walked up to the door. Leo patted my knee and got up to open the door for them. I was half surprised Lathen was also there. I grinned when I saw Devan and Quinn holding hands. They were back together alright.

Luckily, my cup was empty as Seri hopped beside me on the sofa to hug me. Quinn sat at my other side as Devan went to the kitchen with drinks for after. My grin continued as I watched her.

“Not a word,” Quinn warned me.

“Drama queens, the pair of you,” I teased.

“Please don’t scare us like that again,” Seri added, pouting.

Quinn rolled her eyes and leaned her head onto my shoulder; I passed my cup to Leo when he held his out, passing us.

“Anything more on this necklace freaky necklace business?” Seri asked.

I shook my head, “No, but I feel so much better,” I admitted, “I’ve been tired and exhausted whenever that was around. I think it had something to do with it.”

“Well, if it affected you emotionally, it would not be surprising if it was draining you,” Quinn pointed out.

I nodded in agreement.

 

“So…” Seri trailed.

Oh no, I braced myself as she continued.

“I think you are leaving some details out of these astral visits you’ve been talking about,” Seri whispered, hinting mischievously.

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” I feigned innocence.

“Hm? No kissy faces?” Quinn whispered.

“Always whispering,” Lathen interrupted from the doorway, looking at the three of us.

I chuckled as Quinn said, “Girly things don’t concern boys!”

“What if you’re talking about said boys?”

“Even more so,” she defended.

“That’s not fair!” Devan protested from behind him.

“Feel free to whisper about us,” Quinn teased before getting up, “Are we circle-ing or what?”

A chorus of laughing sounded in the living room.


The twine did a great job, and nothing was on fire from the candles; bonus!

We worked together to put the living room the way it was and settled on the two sofas, talking. Music was playing quietly from the speakers, and we all had a drink of cider courtesy of Devan’s stash.

It was 9:30 pm when a knock came at the door.

Leo got up, looking confused to answer it.

“Did anyone spill the beans about a free house?” I asked, looking around at my friends.

They all shook heads.

 

As the door opened, the fur feeling came back, shit.

Before any greeting was uttered, the door shut again, and Leo’s annoyed face appeared.

“Don’t answer it. Don’t let them in,” he said, crossing his arms.

The curiosity of Seri got the better of her, and she peeped through the curtain.

“Seri, don’t,” I warned, too late.

Seri quickly looked back at me with concern.

“Leo! You open this door right now!” The dulled voice of Maddie could be heard.

Quinn looked at me with concern… explanations would come later.

Lathen pipped up from my left, “Leave some broken hearts, Leonard?” I nudged him.

“Leo! I told you this wasn’t over!” Maddie demanded.

Devan laughed at the grimace Leo pulled, and I watched him put a hand up and pinch his brows.

“I don’t think she’ll leave,” I cautioned, getting up.

Leo closed his eyes almost in defeat.

“Do you know who she is, Lexi?” Seri asked.

“I do,” I admitted, looking at her.

“She’s a pain in the arse, is what she is,” Leo insulted.

“I heard that!” Maddie's voice was more unmistakable this time, “Party is over. We need to talk.”

I peered around the door. The letter box was propped open with her hand, but I could not see her eyes peering through.

“Go on, Lexi. Tell her what for,” she whispered encouragingly.

Quinn's voice made me jump. I didn’t realise she moved.

“Are you insane?” I whispered back.

“It’s obvious she isn’t going to leave, and I don’t think she will leave Leo alone anytime soon,” she prodded.

“We have your back,” she soothed, placing her hands on my shoulders.

“You just want to stir the pot,” I speculated.

“No, I want you to grow some balls,” she ribbed.

 

The letterbox snapped shut, making us pause.

Clink, scratch.

“The hell is that?” Lathen asked.

“She’s trying to break in,” Leo informed.

“That’s what that noise was last time?” I said, perplexed, and he nodded.

Clink!

I took a breath. Although Quinn’s persuasion did nothing to the situation, she was right. Maddie wasn’t going to leave and probably wouldn’t leave Leo alone. Quinn’s cajoling won; I walked to the door, and Leo realised what I was doing too late.

I opened the door, “What do you want?”

Maddie got up from her crouched position quickly and inspected me, “And who are you?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

“Where is Leo?” she said crossing her arms, trying to look behind me.

“I’m not telling you until you tell me who you are and what you want.”

I saw him in my peripheral, leaning against the wall next to the door. Quinn and Seri were probably at the living room doorway eavesdropping.

She flicked her hair back and, standing tall, replied in a haughty voice, “I’m Maddie, and I must speak to Leo.”

I raised an eyebrow at the tone, “Hello, Maddie,” I heard Quinn giggle, “I’m afraid Leo is too preoccupied to speak to you.”

Maddie’s eyes slid sideways at Quinns laugh, it was obvious she became more irate.

“Well, you can tell him and your friends that the party is over.” She grounded out slowly, “His girlfriend is here now.”

I snorted, ‘One more push…’

I tilted my head, and my confidence rose as I remembered her question from a few days ago.

“I’ll let you on to a little secret…”

I pushed the door so just my face was shown and whispered, “I’m the girl he’s fucking, and you were never his girlfriend,” I winked at her as she gasped.

I finished louder this time before she said anything.

“Goodbye, Maddie!” I waved, “If you come around here again, I’ll be speaking more than words.”

I watched her struggle with words before she finally smirking.

“He’ll get bored and come right back. He always does,” she reassured, with the same arrogant voice, before finally walking away.

 

I closed the door, calmed my magic and anger with a deep breath and turned to look at the eavesdroppers. To my surprise, all four had a head peeping out from the doorway.

“So proud of you,” Quinn said first.

You are a bad influence,” I stated, walking away.

“Yo, send her Lathen’s say if she comes back,” Devan volunteered, clapping a hand on Lathen's shoulder.

“Trust me. I wish I never met her; I would not wish her upon my worst enemy,” Leo warned with his hands up.

Lathen grimaced at Leo’s words. The drama has ended for the night, and Leo told the story of Maddie and Glenrothes. He divulged a lot more than the night of his rites.

It seemed as gorgeous as she was; she was not cut from a white cloth and had a vicious dark side beneath a façade.

Lathen whistled long, “Damn. It’s always the pretty ones,” he joked.


Later that night, Quinn asked as she pulled on her shoes, “Lexi? Did you bring my stuff?”

“Ah, yeah. One second.”

Walking to the kitchen, I fetched the bag of Quinn’s clothes and personals, giving it to her.

“Thank you,” she beamed, “and please thank your mum for taking me in again.”

I laughed, “I’ll let her know. Are you going back home…?”

“Not yet, but Devan and I still need to talk about some stuff.”

I nodded, and we joined the rest outside. The rain was still spitting down, but the four made it to the car without getting drenched. I waved as they left.

 

“You know,” Leo trailed off, “My parents are gone for the whole night. It’s going to be lonely by myself,” he coaxed, stepping closer with a dramatic pout.

I giggled, “That sounds like a you problem,” I said teasing, taking a step away.

I grabbed his arms as they appeared around my waist, and he whispered in my ear, “I will be good, I promise.”

Pfft, how you fib!”

He chuckled and kissed my temple, “Seriously, I won’t do anything you don’t want me to. No pressure.”

I blushed at his words and bit my lip. I didn’t feel pressured, nor did I not want to. It was timing; we had only just made official status. His hand moved and tugged my lip out of my teeth. Turning my head to look at him, I decided.


I woke up to a phone ringing, and I whined quietly as the sun poured in through the window, illuminating the navy-blue room.

“Hello?”

His voice was gruff, thick with sleep, and his arm tightened around me.

True to his word, nothing other than making out happened. I was in borrowed pyjama bottoms and an old shirt. I checked my phone to find one unread message.

Mum: [Okay, sweetie, have fun 😉]

I smiled and shook my head at the photo she attached. Sooty made himself at home on my bed.

“Okay, not a problem,” Leo shifted, hovering over my upper body slightly, “See you tomorrow. Bye Da.”

He hung up and said, “My parent’s car has broken down. They’re staying another night.”

“Oh dear. Nothing serious, I hope?”

“He thinks it’s a dead battery. The car wouldn’t start. Luckily, he’s covered.” Leo moved to sit up on one elbow.

“That’s good,” I yawned and closed my eyes again, “What time is it?”

“Nearly seven.”

I whined and pulled the covers up. He laughed lowly.

“Do you like waffles?”

I uncovered my eyes and looked at him, “I love waffles…”

He chuckled, kissing my head, “Come on,” he said, getting out of the warm bed.

Huffing, I followed suit. He paused at the door, watching me.

“What?” I asked, rubbing an eye.

“I knew you’d look better in my shirt.”

A wolfish grin spread on his face, and I playfully hit his shoulder.

 

“Oh, my gods.” I said with a full mouth.

Waffles covered in berries and chocolate. They tasted amazing. He smiled and sat opposite me at the table with his own.

“Are these from a packet?” I asked, confused.

Defensive, he said, “No fresh. Well, leftover mix from yesterday.”

“You have these every day?!”

He laughed, “No. Only when I can be bothered.”

“I’ll have to stay more often,” I said out loud and met his eyes.


Quietly entering the front of the house, I peeked around.

“What are you doing?” Leo said, peering around.

“Shh, I’m avoiding my mum.”

“I thought she was okay with you staying?”

I entered the house after the coast was clear.

“She is. That’s not why I am avoiding her.” I shut the door behind us.

I was still dressed in borrowed pyjamas, avoiding my nosy mother from asking me questions.

Climbing the stairs, I paused when I heard the creak of a door. Uh oh.

“Lexi, sweet? Is that you?”

I heard Leo chuckling from the bottom of the stairs. I gave him a warning look.

“Hi, Mrs. Langton!”

I groaned.

“Ah ha! Trying to avoid me, are we?” she said, appearing at the top with a cheeky smile.

“Of course not, Mother,” I lied and finished the steps.

I walked past her to change.

I shivered as she struck up a conversation with Leo, “Leo! Good morning. Did you have fun-”

I closed the door and sighed before changing. As I finished, my mum poked her head around the door.

“Leo told me his parents are gone for another night.”

I looked at her, “And?”

“And I would take advantage of an empty house if I were you,” she winked, closing the door again.

My mum was something else.

But… I packed a small bag with clothes for work the next day… Just in case.

2