Anna
3 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took the rose oil and traced a pentacle on her back.

“Here, take this.” I gave her the oil, “Protect yourself and the house. Don’t neglect it this time.”

She nodded, wiping the sweat away with a towel.

 

A large hand clasped my shoulder and touched the upper part of my back.

“Great work, Lexi,” Nixon said, praising, “Now I think it best to replace the lock.”

“Dad. No!” Quinn gasped.

She pushed down on his elbow, trying to get the palm away from my back, but his magic was already invading. I gasped from the pain of his magic forcing mine back down. I felt blood trickle from my nose.

“Quinn. Lexi cannot control it.”

“I am sick of this bullshit!” she spat.

“Language.”

While they fought. He silently continued invading and tying my magic down. I felt weaker, woozier.

“No. You listen to me! Stop it! She doesn’t need it. This. What happened tonight should have proved to you that much.”

 

“Leo…” I tried weakly, reaching out.

His hand held mine; if looks could kill, Nixon would have died years ago.

“Athame,” I whispered.

Leo glanced down, spying the same thing I was staring at.

The flames in the cauldron dimmed as he continued slyly. Noticing the flames, Leo picked up the athame and pointed it at Nixon.

“Stop it.”

Nixon let go and stepped back, “It’s for her own good.”

 

He looked up at Mum, “Isobelle, tell them! She is her father’s daughter.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Mum retorted.

“She will turn Dark just like the rest of your family.”

Mum looked in horror, “That’s what you think of my family? Of our family?”

“Just look at your mother, your brother, your husband. I’m protecting you from that heartbreak just as you asked.”

Mums face was horrified, she shook her head slowly. She could not believe the words coming out of his mouth.

“It doesn’t matter. It’s on.” I said louder.

Quinn turned and pulled the collar down.

A blue box was reprinted in the same place; the red bar was barely there. Leo stopped him before he could tighten it more.

Quinn glared at her dad; getting up, she said nothing as she left. Devan followed her, probably to comfort her.

All eyes were still on Nixon.

“You will all thank me later,” he muttered and left, opposite the way Quinn went.

 

“Winnie,” Heaven gently poached, “I think you need to beat some sense into him.”

Winnie looked down, defeated, “You know…You know I have tried for years. Isobelle, I don’t know where that came from. He never told me. Goddess, I don’t know what to do.”

That was the first time I ever saw her cry.

Leo dropped the athame and wiped the blood I didn’t get from my face.

“Are you dizzy?”

“I was, but I’m okay.”

Leo helped me up, and Cynthia caught me in a bear hug. I smiled as she mumbled thank you. She eventually let go with tears down her face.

I looked at the cauldron; it was still lit and burning nicely.

Collin approached, “You go home. Get some rest. I’ll keep an eye on it.”

I looked up at him, tired, “Okay, Thank you. Just wait for the fire to go out and put the lid on. Nothing else needs to be done.”


On the way home, I could not stop the tears from falling; I felt the part of me I could not use or touch. Access to my full powers was blocked once again. At least my fate line was no longer tangled in the mess. I made sure of that.

I got sleepy in the car and gently rested my eyes a little.

I didn’t realise I was asleep until I was hoisted into the air. Groggily, I opened my eyes. Leo looked down at me, and I shut my eyes again and buried my head into his neck. I let him carry me, too tired to put up a fuss.

My hands were clasped around his neck as he carried on forward. Eventually, he put me down into my bed, but I didn’t let go.

I sleepily whispered, “Stay, please?”

He breathed a chuckle, “Your mum is here, she’ll know.” He removed my hands from his shirt.

I pouted, “please?”

He kissed my forehead and moved from my vision.

Disappointed, I tucked myself under the covers and heard the door shut. Under the covers, I tugged the white dress over my head and threw it on the floor. I neglected to put my pyjamas on.

The bed dipped, “Well, someone is eager, but I think you need sleep.”

“Shh. No funny business. My mum is in the house,” I trailed off, drifting into dreams.


 I blinked at the bright sun and shaded my eyes with a hand.

I rocked back and forth, hearing wooden wheels and horsed neigh. My blood went cold.

My hand was covered in lace gloves. I did not need the hand up, for I had a hat. I purchased it that morning.

‘How did I know that?’

I took a deep breath, enjoying the cooler breeze riding to my betrothed; he had something to give me before I left to visit my aunt in the north for a month.

I gazed down and straightened out my cream dress and ensured my unruly curls were presentable as the carriage turned the corner. 

‘Am I reliving that day? The one I saw in the astral? I don’t remember this part.’

 

The carriage stopped at a white Victorian house with black trimmings, doors, and windows. It was beautiful.

I searched the upper floor of the house, looking for the open window where he would stand—greeting me before I even walked through the door.

There he stood. Longer hair than a typical gentleman, a white waistcoat and a button-up shirt paired with black dress pants.

I smiled and hurried forward, the butler opening the door as I knocked and allowed me entry.

I approached him as he stood in the window and touched his shoulder. He turned to me.

“Good evening, Edward,” I greeted.

“Good evening, Anna,” he smiled, “I wanted to give you this. As a promise to marry, look on it and think of me.”

He held up a necklace. It was stringed pearls and a pendant with a blacked-out shadow in a neat row. It was the necklace I was admiring that morning. How did he know?

“Turn around,” he whispered.

He clasped it on me, and I touched it with warm feelings that heated me. This kind soul was mine. Turning back around, I smiled.

“Beautiful,” he breathed.

It was improper to kiss on the lips before marriage. Instead, he kissed my hand.

“Safe travels, Anna. I hope to see you upon your return.”

“Thank you. I will see you in a month, Edward.” I curtsied and returned to the carriage.

 

I was slightly disappointed he did not see me off, but my aunt was impatient.

“Anna! Wait,” Edward shouted.

He quickly placed a top hat on his head and sleeved a jacket, “Please, let me see you to the train safely. There have been several thieves on the rise,” he worried.

I smiled, “Edward… Thank you for the offer, but you have work to do. I am afraid I will never want to leave either if I see you standing there.”

I reached his shoulders, and on my tiptoes, I kissed his cheek farewell.

I turned and got into the carriage, “I will see you in a month.”

The crack of a whip started the horses forward.

“Write to me?” he said.

“Always.”

As I left, I saw him pause, walking towards the door and watching me go again—this time for a month.

I held onto the necklace as the carriage moved forward.

 

‘I recognise this.’

I was turning the bend, as I thought. The two men stepped out, causing the horses to stop, stinking like cigarettes. Thinking back to the astral, did Edward run all that way?

I leaned forward, looking for an easy way to escape. Opening the door, I was not quick enough. The ruffian grabbed me, and I struggled against him, frightened for my life. I would not let him have his way.

‘Shit. Anna isn’t a witch.’

The other one came around and yanked the pearls, spilling them everywhere, and the pendant flew. They took all my jewels and money; they left my virtue.

“The boss said we can’t leave anyone alive this time.”

My blood ran cold, and I fought harder to escape, this time for my life. Panic set in. They were too strong.

One took out a knife, and pain erupted like a fire. My lungs burned as I struggled to breathe. I fell to the floor like a ragdoll.

“Edward,” I muttered, “I’m sorry.”

I felt cold. My vision blurred, and the world faded to black.

 

I awoke in a sweat and sat up. Feeling my chest and side. Nothing.

“Hey, Hey.” Leo caught my attention, “Shh, I’m here.”

I wailed and clung to him. “Gods, that was horrible.”

He laid us back down but did not move me away.

“Gods, I felt hopeless,” he muttered.

I paused, “Did you dream about…?”

“About Anna, but I lived it-”

“Through their eyes,” we chorused together.

I quickly looked around for the necklace or voices. I saw nothing. I heard nothing.

“Is your fate line still locked?”

“No. The connection could have made us dream.”

I laid back down and snuggled into his arm.

“I hope that doesn’t happen again.”

“Hm. Maybe there is a lesson we need to learn.”

“Well, there are better ways than to experience death through a past life. That was horrible.”

2