Chapter 15: Galathia
89 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PHOENIX

Phoenix closed the door with a thud. She squeezed her petticoat and sat on the velvet chair. The sounds of wheels rolling against the ground and the horse’s hoofbeats soon followed. Her shoulders relaxed as she enjoyed her newfound solitude. 

Finally…

As the carriage trudged forward, the scenery shifted. More and more people walked along the path of the colorful trees, followed by a happy melody. Going further, at a street’s corner, a man danced while stretching and squeezing an accordion with his hands. 

A crowd circled around him, watching as he formed vibrant apples from a nearby tree. People cheered, but the man hadn’t had enough. He played at a faster tempo, causing more and more apples to sprout from the tree. An orb of light swirled around him as he did so, and Phoenix could almost smell the sweet, tangy aroma from the air.

The claps turned thunderous, earning him a few shouts of joy from his audience. 

Phoenix realized that in this society, magic wasn’t common. There were a few who were born with affinity for it, but it occurred randomly. As an example, Lily Bianca’s dad was not able to use it despite being obsessed with magical artifacts. Jade, however, was able to use it on a smaller scale for tasks such as lighting the fireplace.

This was the first time she had seen a floating orb of light in Galathia. She had only witnessed countless others dancing around like baby chicks around Lilianna in the dreamscape.

The hollers of the crowd lessened as the carriage moved ahead. Phoenix didn’t mind the transportation’s unhurried pace. It allowed her to absorb the new world around her and gave her space to deliberate. 

When they turned, bright light peeked through the left window, causing Phoenix to squint. Thankfully, there were still hordes of trees along the street, so she didn’t have to feel uncomfortable for long.

The smell of wet dirt combined with each tree’s unique scent lingered as the airflow hummed and subtly shook the leaves. It was curious to see the streets remain spotless amidst such an environment.

This world, this society in particular, appeared to enjoy and look after their trees and gardens a lot.

Further along the road was a cathedral. It was white, golden and proud, towering over the largest trees and buildings in the area. Its tallest structure pierced through the sky, appearing to dominate over the clouds.

It was so domineering that it stood out awkwardly against the previously harmonious scene. Perhaps it was even higher than the Chamillet Castle?

After a while, they finally reached their destination. The sluggishness of the carriage affected Phoenix, and she had become drowsy, but didn’t let herself sleep. She took in whatever scenery she could, along with any information she could gather about the people of this world. 

Phoenix had already been accustomed to the opulent designs of the buildings. She felt the firmness of the cobblestone ground as she stepped down from the carriage, careful not to trip. The district buzzed with nobles and their chattering; its stores lined up in a slight curve along the street. 

As Phoenix strode around the area, the scent of sweet and savory seasoning persisted in the air. For how long could these people have been cooking for the smell to be this strong? 

Her heels stopped at the sight of a two-story building, with ‘Vespera’s Heirloom Jewels’ engraved right in the middle of the first and second floor. This was the place Lily Bianca’s father mentioned. Phoenix briefly glanced at the announcement board stand to its side and noticed they offer custom-made jewelry. Great, this was definitely the right place.

Goosebumps rose on the back of her neck. Someone was watching her. Phoenix looked behind. Nothing amiss. She kept her senses sharp as she walked inside the store.

When she strode in, a bell dinged. The radiant chandelier splashed light amongst the gems, eliciting a regal sheen. There were a couple of people pacing and glancing at the jewelry. A man came forward to greet Phoenix.

“Good afternoon, welcome to Vespera's Heirloom Jewels. How may I assist you today?” His smile didn’t reach his eyes.

Phoenix didn’t have much time to waste, so she asked him directly. “Thank you for the welcome. Could you please show me a ring with an amber gemstone?” 

She explained the crystal’s caramel-esque glow and its elegant, minimal silver design. It had a pattern inside the gem, producing a contrast between its hue and enhancing its warm glow. The man nodded, immediately understanding the type of ring she described. 'It will need to be customized,' he informed her.

And so he led her to the second floor where she could get measured and pick a band and gem size for the ring. 

When they entered, Phoenix’s eyes naturally fell on the combination of vibrant red and green in the form of a person. Besides the woman stood four men– possibly her bodyguards, steadily observing Phoenix. The woman also caught her eyes and flashed her yet another professional smile of the day. Phoenix pulled her lips up to form a smile. This person was Prince Neil’s fiancée. If she recalled correctly, this woman’s name was Sylvia Elara.

Phoenix glanced towards the shop’s employee, seemingly bedazzled by the other woman’s appearance. When she stared at him, he quickly regained his composure. He advised Phoenix to sit on one of the cushions as he informed the craftsman and prepared the materials needed for her ring.

Low instrumental music played in the background. Then, a silhouette in the form of Christmas colors filled Phoenix’s view. She looked up to see a gracious Sylvia. She had been able to swiftly approach her without making any sounds, catching Phoenix slightly off-guard.

ke3wFid.jpg

“May I sit next to you?” She asked.

“The employee will be coming back soon.” Phoenix glanced towards the area where the man disappeared to.

“We would still have enough time to chat, don’t you think?” her smile seemed like it had been plastered on her face, never changing to a different one.

“Sure. So long as you don’t overstay your welcome.” Phoenix gazed at the four men surrounding her. Their clothes appeared even tighter than the corset she wore, their bodies bulging against the restrictive fabric as if it might tear at any moment. They moved briskly yet awkwardly like a wolf taking on a sheep’s clothing.

“Galathia’s balance is spiraling out of control, don’t you think? Where had our mighty Goddess gone at these times?” Sylvia clutched her handkerchief and wiped her empty tears. Phoenix had nothing to say. 

“I sure pray the benevolent Goddess would come back, destroy the cause of chaos, and restore order between the four kingdoms.” As Sylvia spoke, smoke emerged from her eyes. Phoenix blinked and it was gone. What the hell was she talking about? The woman didn’t think much of Phoenix’s silence and slipped out of the conversation before she could respond.

The craftsman engaged Phoenix in a conversation, and the jewelry had been made far sooner than she expected. Moments later, Phoenix stared at the perfect replica of Lily Bianca’s cold ring on her hand, itching to test out if it could help her communicate with Lilianna. She wasn’t confident this method would work. However, if it had been successfully done before, Phoenix believed there was a chance it could pay off.

As Phoenix descended the shallow front stairs outside the shop, her perception of being spied on resumed. In fact, it even intensified. The sky had already been consumed by darkness, leaving lights from the shops and lamp posts as the only sources of light. It was ripe timing to execute suspicious activities.

Her eyes fell upon the carriage and had a premonition. They were there– waiting for her to open the door. She ditched her shoes and hastened to a nearby alley. Phoenix took off the layers of her dress, remembering how the twins had put them on.

Hurried footsteps resonated. Phoenix swiftly got out of the petticoat, throwing the layers of the dress on her pursuer. She dashed out of the alleyway and turned at another street. Someone emerged from a connecting street, almost colliding into Phoenix. She grabbed the woman's shoulders, stopping just on time, and causing the woman to stumble in shock.

“Sorry.” Phoenix murmured before turning at another street. Thankfully, her chemise was paired with drawers and a corset. She could make long strides without worrying about flashing anyone with a thin dress.

As she ran against the cold air of the night, adrenaline pumped into her blood and rushed through her cheeks. Phoenix evaluated the situation: she had three pursuers with heavy, brisk steps. They were likely bulkier than Lily Bianca. Fighting them head-on would be difficult. She needed to use their own strength against them.

She circled the area until she found a vacant alleyway. She needed to relieve her stress anyway. They couldn’t have come at a better time.

She turned back. The three men wasted no breath and pounced on her. These ruffians were with Sylvia earlier. One attacked with fire sizzling from his callused hands, and the other attacked with a fiery sword. Phoenix’s eyes darted around her, barely dodging their strikes.

Sorry it took some time to post this chapter! I got busy this week T_T

3