Golden Eyes
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leo

He tucked the covers under her chin again and stroked her damp hair. It had been two days, and she was still feverish, with a higher temperature than humans, as to be expected. She mumbled and groaned in her sleep, making him more concerned.

The moments she was awake, she wasn't making sense anymore, but he got her to take tablets to try and bring the fever down.

It wasn't common for a witch to be sick. Very rarely would they have fevers.

He kept a watchful eye for anything out of the ordinary.


Lexi

I heard the front door slam open. I immediately jumped and ran through to the front door, picking up my skirt as I went.

"Anabel?" I heard the faint voice of my husband.

"Deigo? Lo que está mal?"

Turning the corner, I answered my own question.

Deigo leaned against the door, clutching his side. Blood poured from the wound.

"No!" I whispered, my hands cupping my shocked mouth.

He grunted and slid down the door. I quickly ran over to him, holding his hand over his wound, and shouted for help.

"Look at me," he begged, "You are safe now. Everything I have will go to you. Look after yourself."

"Deigo, no! You cannot leave me! We still have our honeymoon!"

"You must go without me."

He coughed up blood as panicked neighbours finally started to arrive.

"No! No!" I cried before being pulled away from him.

I was too hysterical to speak.

 

Deigo had no family. His father and mother disowned him to be with me. My sister helped me through it all: the funeral, his will, and his estate. What he said was true.

He put everything in my name.

I was now the youngest widow in the town, and months later, I still wore black in mourning.

"Anabel." My sister comforted me once more, "You need time away. We are all worried about you."

"How can I when there is still so much to do?" I worried.

"Listen. The trip is coming up…"

I shook my head, "No. It will just remind me of him. We were meant to go together."

She sighed, "I know, but Deigo wanted you to go. Don't forget that is where he wanted to lay... Take time away. I will oversee things here."

I hated she was right. Even in his will, he stated that some of his ashes should be spread over a particular cliff: the one where we met, the one we planned to visit on our honeymoon.

"Take some time to think about it. You will have to do it eventually."

She hugged me once more before leaving me to my thoughts.


"Lexi?"

I frowned at the weird word. Lexi?

The ground began to shake. Fearful, I closed my eyes and braced.

"Lexi, wake up."

"Hey!"

I squinted, peering out my eyes, and took in the blurry surroundings. I lay on a soft bed. I must have been trapped by debris.

"Hey, sleepyhead."

Blue eyes peered at me, "Qué?"

I didn't understand the foreign words from his mouth, but I took in more of my surroundings.

"Dónde estoy?"

"What?"

"Qué?"

"Jeez, has this fever got you that bad?" The man put a hand to my head.


Leo

He shook his head slowly. Lexi mumbled in her sleep, still speaking Spanish. He wondered if the letter influenced her dreams. He had not slept properly since her fever spiked.

He closed the hotel door; he needed more provisions for both of them.

 

Inverness was Cynthia's favourite place to visit. Leo knew the little nook that harboured a witch's dream. After a short walk, he entered the little side door and was greeted by lavender incense and a smiling owner.

"Hello. I'm after something to help with fevers… possibly nightmares too."

 

She turned away and grabbed herbs from the shelves behind her. A notice board to the left caught Leo's attention.

He counted… fifteen signs. Intrigued, he took a step closer. Some were requiring crafters, and others were showcasing their work. Then he found the hunted.

Six profile pictures were placed on the board's upper right; half were old, and people were already found with a red X through.

Cornelius was not there.

"Looking for a name?" The owner asked, grinding a mixture whilst watching him.

"Hm, not particularly," Leo replied.

She laughed under her breath, "I await the day I see someone I know."

She wiped her hands on a cloth and announced, "There. That should do it," she muttered.

She bottled the mixture and instructed Leo on how to use it. As he turned to leave, she began to clean up.

She pulled papers from the counter, "I forgot to put these up…"

Holding them slightly, they flew from her hand with a pink flare, attaching themselves to the board. Pictures of Cornelius and Lexi joined the others.

But Leo had already left the shop.

 

Lexi continued to dream. The witch's herbal remedy broke her fever within a few minutes. Leo could breathe easily, but now he felt exhausted. He did not sleep much while he tended to Lexi.

Crawling beside her, he could finally breathe easily and swiftly fell asleep.


Lexi

I sighed again, turned away from the trail, and clutched the small urn. This was the fifth time I had tried to climb the hiking trail. There were too many sweet memories.

Proof I was not over my mourning, I had to stop as the tears blurred my vision and perched at the wooden bench at the bottom of the trail. Looking upon the small urn, I swiped my nose.

"Lo siento, Deigo. I cannot do it."

The sun was about to start its descent under the horizon. I wanted to be up there, at our spot before sundown, to watch. I would have to try again tomorrow.

Sighing again, I got to my feet to walk back to the hotel.

"Disculpe señorita? Do you know how to get to the cliff?"

I stopped abruptly at the male voice, which pulled me out of my sorrowful thoughts. He looked younger than her, with black hair, deep olive skin, and dark honey eyes.

"Sí, the trail here." I pointed just behind me.

"Gracias."

"De nada."

He walked towards the steps, and I slowly continued, but he suddenly paused as he passed her.

"Perdón, why are you sad? Do you need help?"

I don't know what came over me, but I blurted out my thoughts, wailing, "No. I can't do it- I can't go up there. He wanted me to go and throw his ashes off the edge. I can't let go."

'Why? Why did you want me to do this, Diego?'

"Ah, mi madre asked me to do the same," he sympathised and held out a handkerchief.

I took it gratefully, wiping my still-crying eyes. I said nothing but a small thank you.

"It's harder to do it alone. Come with me?"

His words took me by surprise. Although he was a stranger, having another person there seemed less daunting. Something told me I would be in safe hands.

I wiped away the last tears and returned his handkerchief with an 'okay'.

He raised his hand and pushed it back to me, "You will need it more than me. Come on."

He started walking towards the stairs once more. It was now or never. I took a big breath and picked up the pace to walk near him.

I felt awkward, yet I was finally ascending the hike.

"What is your name?" He asked softly.

"Anabel. You are…?"

"Carmilo."

He helped me over large rocks, giving me a hand here and there.

"So," I started, "You've had to scatter your mother's ashes?"

"Sí… five years have passed since I did; it was a place in my hometown, Madrid." He continued leisurely, "Is this your father…?" he questioned carefully.

"No… Mi esposo." I looked down at the small silver urn again. It felt heavy in my hands.

"Husband? You look so young," he said in shock.

A small smile took my lips, "A very short marriage, unfortunately."

"I'm sorry to hear that." His face looked genuine with sincerity before moving on.

 

 

Reaching the top, I paused, looking around at the clearing. It was exactly how I remembered it—a bittersweet moment. I recalled the memory of first meeting Deigo. I sat as close to the edge as I dared, and he found me sitting there enjoying the view, and a holiday romance turned into love.

I dared not to sit in that very spot. I relived those memories every night. I missed him dearly. Tears welled up at the many memories that now flooded my mind.

"It's beautiful up here," Carmilo said, sitting in a well-worn spot on the edge. The sun was about to disappear from the horizon; it casts orange into the dancing waves and pinks into the sky.

Grief was now a familiar feeling. I had to use Carmilo's handkerchief again as many sweet memories flooded my consciousness. I longed for my husband, for his comfort, his kiss. I couldn't keep my cries silent any longer.

I wailed into the evening colours, falling to my knees and mourning again.

Carmilo looked stunned by the unexpected outburst. Yet he quickly scampered to his feet over to this widow. This stranger had a kind soul.

 

 

The moon grew more prominent as my tears finally subsided. I felt exhausted. Mentally, I was not present. Carmilo's hand never strayed from my shoulders. He awkwardly sat comforting, simply holding my shoulder.

"I'm sorry." I tried to compose myself.

"No need to apologise. You're grieving." He leaned away, looking out over the dark waters.

Crickets and breaking waves took over the silence. The sea breeze was warm and gentle as the moon grew brighter and the stars danced.

'It's a peaceful night, Deigo.'

We usually left shortly after the sun went down. I had never seen this moonlit version, yet it was peaceful—a perfect scene.

'Time to let go, Anabel.'

I still clutched the tiny urn. This was only a fraction of Deigo's ashes, yet they felt heavy. With a bit of help from Carmilo, I got up and cautiously went to the edge.

The breeze was a little more spirited as I approached the edge.

Taking a deep breath, I opened the lid.


The beach bar became a favourite place, even when the bartender cut off my supply. I sighed loudly as the bartender placed water on my table. The sun was setting over this beautiful beach, and here I was. Sad and alone.

A shadow cast over me, momentarily blocking the view before sitting in the unoccupied seat next to me in the sand.

"You look like you need company," Carmilo's voice filled my ears.

"I need a drink," I retorted grumpily.

"The hotel staff say different."

With an eye roll, I took the cup.

I thought about going home, but my mother said, "You need to see this through."

"So," Carmilo turned to me and shifted the chair to face away from the sunset, "How long were you married for?"

I laughed bitterly, "Four months…"

I stared into the glittering sea, "We met here five years ago…"

I didn't want to think or speak about my past anymore.

"Are you married?" I asked him, quickly looking over his face.

It was half cast in shadows as he watched me.

His eyes reflected golden from the sunset. The alcohol was clouding my judgment. I thought he looked handsome.

"I am." He finally said, playing with a gold band on his finger. He hesitated like he didn't want to admit the truth.

"How long?"

"Two years." This time, it was he who looked off into the sea. A grim expression painted his face.

"Does she not like to drink?"

He snorted, "She doesn't like her husband."

"I'm too drunk for cryptic messages."

He laughed a little lighter, "It was an arranged marriage. She filed for divorce a few months ago, and I booked this trip… Never thought I would end up like my father."

"Yet you still wear the ring." I pointed.

"So do you."

I lifted my hand and saw the glittering gold dance around my finger.

"I still don't know how he died."

"Qué?"

I shook my head slightly, "He was shot and bled out, but I don't know by who."

His eyebrow raised, "No wonder you are having difficulty with all this. You have no closure."

"I guess…"

 

The following day, I returned to the bar but was greeted by a smiley Carmilo, and one day blurred into three. Carmilo kept me company and easily weened me away from the alcohol.

It was beginning to feel odd, being here, in my favourite place, with another man. Even worse, I forgot why I was here on this damned island in the first place. The more I got to know him, the more I found him charming.

Walking along the empty beach with him made me forget most things. Like, I could start a new, fresh life. Away from everything.

I didn't recognise myself.

I could no longer deny the connection we shared. It seemed like Carmilo felt the same. Comforting touches turned into embracing, and it was I who initiated it.

'Why does he feel familiar?'

His eyes locked on mine as he held me.

I continued to stare and saw the sunset reflected in his golden eyes as he leaned me back.

My breath escaped slowly; the white flakes in his eyes became apparent as he pressed nearer.

A slight breeze made me shiver. His heat enveloped me as I pressed into him, basking in the closeness. Our noses touched, our breath mingled, and our heart rate soared.

It was addictive.

I followed his lead, edging slowly, wanting the sweet kiss I craved. The touch of a man I longed for.

We kissed.

And fell into the sand…

 

In the morning, I was filled with regret. Yet I missed the touch of another man.

Deigo.

I'm sorry.

 

My trip was over.

Carmilo came with me to the harbour and saw me off.

"Will I see you again?" He asked. We both knew the answer: No. I pulled away from him after that night and cried with regret. He was so understanding, which made it hurt more.

"A day is all I can give away," I sniffled.

He looked down and reached out, taking my hand.

"I hope you will not forget me," he replied.

I spoke truthfully, "I won't... Maybe I will meet you first in another life."

We kissed goodbye. My heart ached as I turned to board the little boat.

A short boat ride to the mainland and a long train journey, and I would be home. Back to reality – A reality of loneliness without Deigo.

1