Lathen
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well shit,” murmured Quinn after I recited everything in more detail.

“What about the council? Are they not coming?” Devan asked sceptically.

“They know I’m home, but they have a lead on our vamp. That takes priority right now,” I answered. My throat was dry and scratchy.

“About damn time,” Quinn said.

 

After a few moments of silence, Lathen posed, “Movie and takeaway? My place?”

I smiled, “That sounds great right now.”

“That’s settled,” Deven hopped up swiftly, “Let's get out of the cold!”

We trekked forward, Seri and Quinn holding my arms and hugging me as close as possible. We whispered back and forth about little things, catching up on what I had missed at home and what food to order… they kept my mind distracted.

I gazed at the guys leading the way in front of us. Lathen was right. I needed my family; I needed my friends.

I didn’t realise how deeply I missed them.


Lathen

The young coven settled in the warm, welcoming home of the Derwent household.

The movie playing in the background was ignored as laughter and memories were shared. The fire crackling in the hearth provided warmth. All five circled the carpeted floor, playing Gin with some well-worn playing cards—all to keep her distracted.

He watched Lexi out of the corner of his eyes. He had never seen her that... chaotic.

He saw the forest and trees smoking and investigated, thinking it was some punks trying to play with fire. He never thought Lexi was causing it.

 

They all kept her distracted and laughing. He didn’t pretend to imagine her pain. All he could and would do was be there for her like he was when her dad and grandmother passed. However, there was a certain someone he needed to see.

He noticed a yawn escape her mouth. She was undoubtedly tired after an outburst, and her eyes slowly began drooping. Seri noticed and, with a slight smile, covered her with a blanket.

The girls pulled her in close.

Warm and conformable, Lexi finally fell asleep.

Devan’s small smile slowly disappeared, and the four shared the same look. None of them had seen her destructively use her magic. None of them expected Lexi to come back home alone.

Devan asked Lathen, “Do you know where he is?”

“No, she didn’t tell me. But... I know a little familiar that might,” Lathen replied, stretching and getting up.

“I’ll come with-” “No...” Lathen interrupted.

“You need to stay here and look after them. Leo and I have a deal to sort.”

“A deal?” Quinn asked.

Lathen said nothing, only smiled and, with a little wave, left the house.

 

His face gave nothing away as he walked to the Langton's house. Through the coven grapevine, he found out Sooty, Lexi's familiar, had made his way to Lexi in Scotland after the disappearance stunt. He would need help finding Leo and reminding him of their deal.


After knocking, Isobelle opened the door.

“Lathen, hello,” her voice croaked.

“Mrs Langton,” he greeted.

“I’m afraid Lexi isn’t here...” She trailed off.

“Ah, sorry... I know she is with the others.”

“She is?” she asked surprised.

With a humming nod, he continued, “Actually, I’m after Sooty.”

Mew?

Speak of the devil.

“Hey buddy,” Lathen greeted, “I need your help.”

“Is Lexi okay?” Isobel asked, concerned.

“Could be better… She was sleeping when I left.”

She sighed, “Has she told you? About Alex?”

Lathen nodded and was cut off before he could say a word.

“Well, keep her safe. I know she will have questions.” She gave him a small smile.

“Yes, ma’am.”

Meow!

Lathen's attention returned to the black cat. It crossed the threshold and circled Lathen's legs.

He picked the cat up and waved goodbye to Isobel, “I’ll bring him back! Promise!”

With a small laugh, she closed the door.

As she did, he swiftly made a U-turn and moved into the forest instead of walking home.

He looked down at the familiar, feeling a little awkward. He was not used to talking aloud to an animal.

“I need to find Leo. Can you take me to him... Please?”

The cat's big green eyes blinked and began to fuss around in Lathen's arms. Lathen quickly let the cat down from his arms, and with confidence, Sooty led the human to the great oak.

Sooty sat before an empty hanging branch, waiting for Lathen to catch up.

“Erm... Are we waiting for something-?”

Lathen stopped his question as he approached the cat. The low-hanging branch groaned and twisted, forming a shimmering archway.

The cat first looked at the Lathen before strutting through.

 

“Ah, wait!” Lathen reached out a hand, but the cat walked through the shimmering doorway without hesitation.

Gulping, Lathen first put a hand to it, passing straight through the shimmering wall. He felt nothing through the other side. He bit the bullet and walked through, closing his eyes as he did so.

He kept going forward, feeling the tingle as he passed through the veil. He heard the birds change tunes to ones he couldn’t recognise. Crickets and cicadas filled his ears; peering out of his eyes, he saw Sooty sitting and waiting patiently.

Lathen took in the view that made his mind spin.

It was like each tree was going through a different season. Some lush green leaves, surrounded by grass and wildflowers, filled with pinks, blues, and purples. Some trees have crispy orange, red, and yellow leaves. Others were completely bare, even with snow on the branches and the moist dirt—lastly, the spring signs growing with flower petals, snowdrops and bluebells sprouting around.

This was Fae land.

Sooty walked east with Lathen following him, navigating through a cleared walkway. As he walked, he noted some of the trees had parchment on them, some in a language he could not speak, and others were Hunted posters. He paused, going past a familiar face; he remembered the day the coven got the very same one. Lexi.

A meow from his tour guide snapped him out of it.

Around them were many more doorways and arches. Each would lead to a different location, but peering in would reveal nothing… You’d have to know where you were going to navigate safely.

If this were their land, surely, they would guard the entryways. So why were there no souls around? Lathen did not want to find out the answers. He kept his eyes on the black cat leading the way.

 

After a short walk, Sooty again sat in front of a doorway and turned to look at his follower.

“This one? Are you sure?”

Mew.

Sooty stretched before walking through and ran to the familiar isolated cottage without waiting for Lathen.


Leo

Morgan still hadn't appeared. Shortly after Lexi left, Maddie somehow managed to get wind of the situation and tried to talk to him many times. Despite her protests, he refused to unlock the door and kept up Sigils to keep her out.

He found solace in the rocking chair; he had flicked through every page of Morgans's little library, hoping to find something to help. He pulled out the blue box from his pocket once more.

Plenty of times, he chickened out about giving it to Lexi. It never seemed like the right time. Now, he would never give it to her.

He opened the box, and a silver necklace chain lay with a moonstone pendant.

He hoped to give it to her to replace the Victorian necklace that haunted them and to make new, happy memories.

His sulking was interrupted by a scratching from the front door.

Leo sighed at the similar sound of Maddie trying to break in again.

Mew?

The dulled cry of a cat made him pause in closing the door. He knew that little cry. Another one had him running to the front of the house.

Did Lexi come back?

Breathless, he ripped the door open, nearly breaking the hinges.

Sooty leaned up and stretched against the doorway in greeting.

Leo looked around the village, hoping to see a familiar face.

 

His hopeful smile faded. He was glad to see a familiar face, but it was not the one he yearned for.

He picked up the cat encircling his legs and cuddled him like a baby before greeting the encroaching Lathen.

Lathen looked around at the little village, “Homely…is this Glenrothes?”

Leo's small, awkward smile appeared, “No, this is my mother’s place…”

 

Lathen paused at the door, hands in his pockets. As much as he wanted answers, he took in Leo’s appearance.

Haggard would be the term he would use. Leo’s eyes looked bruised from lack of sleep, his hair unkempt and greasy, and his whole aura was off, sad and lonely. Lathen empathised; both Lexi and Leo were having a tough time.

Lathen watched Leo’s eyes harden and narrow, looking at something behind him. Lathen, curious, turned and glanced in the same direction. The brunette, Maddie, seemed to be approaching the pair.

“Come on in,” Leo stepped to the side with the cat in his arm.

Lathen entered the small cottage with slight confusion, and Leo slammed the front door shut and traced spells on the wood.

Lathen’s eyebrows shot up, “Trouble in paradise?” he mumbled bitterly.

Leo’s back tensed, and he quickly turned his head, mishearing him, “What?”

Lathen turned away, wandering into the living room, “Never mind.”

Leo sighed and flopped down into the armchair, running a free hand through his hair; stress was evident in his aura. Lathen could tell turmoil was hidden beneath and took a pew on the sofa near him.

 

“Stupid question… How is she?” He did not look up from the floor, boring a hole into the wood.

“A little wayward. She found some… upsetting news, but we will look after her…” Lathen trailed off, watching the defeated and tired man cuddling a cat.

“Upsetting news?” Leo enquired.

Lathen debated telling Leo about her explosion and what caused it, but looking at the Leo before him, he questioned whether what Lexi saw was true.

“Alex,” Lathen leaned forward, placing elbows on knees, “is Lexi’s half-brother.”

Leo finally looked up from the floor in disbelief, “Half?... He’s half witch?”

Lathen solemnly nodded.

“That explains why he’s a late bloomer.” After a few moments of silence, he added, “Fuck. How is he?”

“Understandably upset, he left the house angry, but he is with his friends.”

“You on the other hand…” Lathen stated, “You look like you haven’t slept in a week.”

Leo grimaced lightly and shook his head, “I can’t go home yet.”

“Can’t or won’t?”

“I can’t. If I do, I will change my mind.”

“Change your mind about what?” Lathen probed.

“Everything.” Leo leaned back in the chair, defeated, his eyes closed.

 

“I think you are taking the easy way out,” Lathen stated, picking at stray cat hairs from his jacket.

A humourless laugh left Leo, “Nothing about this is easy.”

“No?” Lathen leaned his arms onto his knees, “You remember our deal?”

Leo took a moment to recall.

The one they made at Jack’s while the others were upstairs watching CCTV. How could he forget?


“I’ll guard the table,” Lathen said, sitting on a stool.

“I’ll stay too,” Leo said.

Lexi looked at him suspiciously. Leo winked and returned to his drink.

When they disappeared from view, Leo struck up a conversation, “Quite the crowd tonight.” He glanced around Jack’s hideout.

Lathen nodded, sipping his drink, “Yeah, it’s always the same on weekends. Let’s hope no brawls break out.”

Leo pauses, nursing his nearly empty drink, “Listen, I want to talk about her.”

Confused, Lathen regarded him, prompting Leo to continue, “Lexi told me what happened. I know she has already given you a piece of her mind on the day of my rites.”

Lathen’s mood soured slightly, “Leo, I don’t need you to tell me how to handle my feelings for Lexi. I’ve been by her side long before you came along.”

“You upset her when you crossed that line, Lathen. You cannot force your way into her heart.”

“I was trying to show her how much I care!”

“Care? That’s not care, Lathen. That’s manipulation, thinking you could’ve won her over by force. Lexi’s heart isn’t something to be conquered.”

Lathen shook his head and sighed, “You don’t understand. We have history together.”

“But she chose me. We’re together now.”

“I know!” Lathen thumped the table.

He sighed again, and his shoulders slumped forward, “I know she did.”

Leo leaned back into the chair, letting him continue, “I’ve been her friend for as long as I can remember; I have loved her for half that time. I’ve watched over her, cared for her. I will wait as long as it takes.”

“You’ll be waiting a long time,” Leo replied, finishing the last gulp of his pint. “I will not let you ruin what we have because you cannot control your feelings.”

Lathen became agitated once more and spoke through gritted teeth, “Fine, Leo. But mark my words–Hey! Where the hell-?”

Leo had backed away from the table and turned away from the agitated man, making him angrier.

“Bar. We need another drink,” Leo said over his shoulder.

 

Lathen had calmed down when Leo returned and accepted the pint from him.

Lathen finished his statement with a small sip, “Mark my words: if you ever hurt her, you’ll regret it. Not only that, but you’ll lose your place in this coven. You will not be welcomed back.”

“I know. I’m not planning on hurting her, Lathen. She is my everything,” Leo confessed softly.

Lathen oversaw Leo as he spoke, “I hope you mean that. Because if you don’t, I’ll be there to pick up the pieces. And this time, I won’t let her slip away.”

“You got that Scotty?” Lathen pointed at Leo sternly; Leo took every word to heart.

“Aye. I got it.”


“So, are you done, Leo? Or a lovers tiff?” Lathen leaned back into the hard sofa, hooking an arm over his back; he waited for the expectant ‘no’.

Leo looked down at the purring black fluff and thought for a moment before replying, “Lexi will be safe with you,” he nodded to himself, “And I know you will cherish her.”

Lathen comically blinked, staring at the dude before him. This was not the Leo he came to know. Where was the doting lover? The one who didn’t leave her side for days while she was in a coma. The one that openly put her first.

Put her first…

“This is what she wanted, wasn’t it?” Lathen concluded, “She walked away. You don’t want this.”

“I can’t watch her die again, Lathen.” Leo looked up from the cat, “And I could see her hurting. I had to let her go. Every lifetime, nothing has changed; I don’t want her to give up a long and happy life. I can’t be selfish like that.”

The coo-coo clock chimed midnight as the pair fell into silence. After it finished its cheery tune, Leo stood from the chair.

“Promise me, you’ll keep her happy.” Leo held out Sooty, and Lathen took the invitation to leave.

 

Leo leaned against the front door frame, watching him walk away, but Lathen paused and posed one last question to Leo after a few steps.

“Think about this, Leo, before it’s permanent. Would you rather be in her last moments in this life? Or will you be comfortable forever wondering ‘what if?’.”


Lathen entered the darkened home and popped Sooty near his owner. Devan was out for the count in a reclined armchair. The TV played quietly in the background as the three women slept soundly on the double blow-up mattress.

Lathen sighed and silently prayed to any deity that Leo would heed his words and come home.

1